New MacBook Pro's tomorrow?

Yeah, you can. It costs $99 a year but the software is always provided early online anyway, if you look in the right place, so you can just save your money.

Do you have to jail break if you "look in the right place"?

Oh and does that mean you can get maverick in the network too?

Last edited:
Joe - when you get the beta start a thread please with pics, thoughts etc (y)

Would like to see it on iPad

Will do.

Might not put it on iPad to start with though as wife goes crazy with unstable betas.

swipe up to unlock like in windows phone mobiles ?
notification centre like on android devices
safari with tabs and goes full screen when browsing down the page - chrome
whos going to be first that Apple will sue for using their patents ;)

I do like how Mac Pro looks like.

Will never in my life be able to afford one but still I like the idea of new case J

Am not apple fan but I was expecting bit more.

Mac Pro capable of running 3 4k screens…great…not sure 4k screens will be success overall but it has some computing power to power such big resolution.

Do you have to jail break if you "look in the right place"?

Oh and does that mean you can get maverick in the network too?

no you dont have to jailbreak, but you'd be a fool to install the ios beta unofficially if you weren't on the developer network. You can't guarantee the authenticity and could be bricking your phone. Not worth the risk to just wait.

The beta is for developers to test and feedback bugs it's not for the general public to get the features early to impress their mates - unless you are on the developer network you can't feedback the bugs so there's really no point in installing it.

Developers have several devices and so if the beta crashes the phone all the time etc it doesn't matter because you don't install it on your main devices, only test devices

Joe - when you get the beta start a thread please with pics, thoughts etc (y)

Would like to see it on iPad

its only released in beta on the iphone and ipod touch currently, there isn't a beta for the ipad yet

the more i look at the mac pro the more i think its a very well thought out idea behind the single heatsink/fan design. i can even look past the trashcan styling.

will be interested to see how it performs (data processing and thermally). shame i wont see one at work, we've already moved away from mac pros to retinas :|

Looking at MBPs...

"The 15-inch MacBook Pro comes with a 1,440-by-900-pixel LED-backlit, glossy display. You can also choose a high-resolution, 1,680-by-1,050 glossy or anti-glare display that gives you 36 per cent more pixels."

Since I'm doing photo & video, is it worth the £80 for a high res screen? If so, matte or gloss?

Also got these options on processors, worth upgrading or not? I'm gonna' beef it up with RAM to the max myself.

2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB GDDR5 memory
2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB GDDR5 memory [+ £140.00]
2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB GDDR5 memory [+ £360.00]

Retinas don't have the matte option.

The processor and memory options are about the same, only thing you'll miss as standard is the flash drive.

Standard mem. with retina is 8GB on the 15inch lower spec. 2.6ghz processor - is that much quicker than the 2.3 ? The woman on apple live chat said i would notice but i guess she would say that.

How much better is flash memory to use? Is it in between SSD and normal hard drives? Or better than both?

Standard mem. with retina is 8GB on the 15inch lower spec. 2.6ghz processor - is that much quicker than the 2.3 ? The woman on apple live chat said i would notice but i guess she would say that.

How much better is flash memory to use? Is it in between SSD and normal hard drives? Or better than both?

Also retinas are lighter and thinner?

SSD is faster I believe.

Speed and longevity on the higher capacity SSDs is not as good as with the 240-256GB sizes.
Don't know why that should be, but it's something I recall seeing in stats published, which has stuck with me.
Aside from songs or videos, I'd not be perturbed about skimping on a 240-256GB SSD drive.

Depending on size, I'd be all over either of these:
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display or
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/F...z-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

Speed and longevity on the higher capacity SSDs is not as good as with the 240-256GB sizes.
Don't know why that should be, but it's something I recall seeing in stats published, which has stuck with me.
Aside from songs or videos, I'd not be perturbed about skimping on a 240-256GB SSD drive.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC975B/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display or
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FD213B/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

Didn't know that. Had assumed that ssd would be more reliable and faster. If not I need to rethink.

exactly which models are you comparing? the retina comes in 2.5 and 2.6 i5 or 2.4 and 2.7 i7. the non retina comes in 2.5 i5, 2.9 i7 dual core and 2.3 i7 quad core.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display or
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/F...z-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

I think I will be buying the refurbished one. I mean they are good as new right just £300 cheaper?

that's weird, how come a slower processor is in fact quicker?
If i'm understanding correctly :bonk:
That just shows how imprecise benchmarks are. Although there is some system level influence on the benchmarks (memory speed/chipset etc..) although I'm surprised at the size of the difference...

I think I will be buying the refurbished one. I mean they are good as new right just £300 cheaper?

Wellm check the date it was launched. It may have an older slower processor or smaller HD than you get now.

FWIW I have no idea what to do myself. Want one now, but probably dont need one till later in year. One minute I want to get a non retina as happy with screen and can afford to get a big HD like 750gb and maybe upgrade processor. Next, I want the retina as lighter and thinnner, plus SSD should be quicker...

Why can you not upgrade more basic ones to 16gb ram?

Will, are you a NPS member? Looking at your camera bag you may qualify if you aren't already. It's just that there is a discounted Apple Store for NPS members with modest savings... as an example, the base 15" retina MBP on the regular Apple Store is £1799, on the NPS Apple Store it's £1672.80. Not as good a saving as the refurbished ones but an alternative if you can't find the one you want refurbished... and it comes in a proper box!

Wellm check the date it was launched. It may have an older slower processor or smaller HD than you get now.

FWIW I have no idea what to do myself. Want one now, but probably dont need one till later in year. One minute I want to get a non retina as happy with screen and can afford to get a big HD like 750gb and maybe upgrade processor. Next, I want the retina as lighter and thinnner, plus SSD should be quicker...

Why can you not upgrade more basic ones to 16gb ram?

Yeah it has a 2.3ghz processor but that's .1 difference. Is it really much slower?

Has same amount of storage, 256GB flash.
I'm used to having a 1TB hard drive, but I will have lots of external hardrives for my trip so it should be fine.

Will, are you a NPS member? Looking at your camera bag you may qualify if you aren't already. It's just that there is a discounted Apple Store for NPS members with modest savings... as an example, the base 15" retina MBP on the regular Apple Store is £1799, on the NPS Apple Store it's £1672.80. Not as good a saving as the refurbished ones but an alternative if you can't find the one you want refurbished... and it comes in a proper box!

Forgive me what is NPS?

Back