New MacBook Pro's tomorrow?

Forgive me what is NPS?

Nikon Professional Services

I forget what the criteria are to join... I think it's something like you have to own two pro bodies and four pro accessories (lenses, flash etc.), not sure if you have to convince them you're a full time working professional but you may be able to blag that if you're not! I don't have the right links to hand but I'm sure if you have a quick search you'll find the application process and see if you can qualify... it's free too! Worth it if it saves a three figure sum on a new Mac. Priority service on repairs too, I sent my D800 to them for the infamous 'left focus point issue' repair and they fixed and returned it next day courier on the same day they received it!

Last edited:
Nikon Professional Services

I forget what the criteria are to join... I think it's something like you have to own two pro bodies and four pro accessories (lenses, flash etc.), not sure if you have to convince them you're a full time working professional but you may be able to blag that if you're not! I don't have the right links to hand but I'm sure if you have a quick search you'll find the application process and see if you can qualify... it's free too! Worth it if it saves a three figure sum on a new Mac. Priority service on repairs too, I sent my D800 to them for the infamous 'left focus point issue' repair and they fixed and returned it next day courier on the same day they received it!

I'm going to go for a refurbished MBP which is even cheaper, thanks though.
Out of interest what are the other benefits of joining? Probably says it on the website actually I'll have a read later.

Out of interest what are the other benefits of joining? Probably says it on the website actually I'll have a read later.

I don't think there are many other benefits... better telephone support is one I think, equipment loan if your gear is in for service is another. Priority service and repairs are well worth joining for though, you never know when you'll need it!

Didn't know that. Had assumed that ssd would be more reliable and faster. If not I need to rethink.

You misunderstood my comment:
If you compare 480-512GB SSDs with their half the capacity brethren, there's a drop off in speed and number of times each cell can be written to.
So what I was suggesting was if you can dispense with carting around all your songs and videos using up the capacity, then going with the 240-256GB capacity (as fitted in those refurb'd machines linked), then you have the best value.

If you absolutely must have the additional capacity, then at least you know the trade-off, which for most people will be inconsequential.

I think I will be buying the refurbished one. I mean they are good as new right just £300 cheaper?

Refurb's can be cancelled BTOs (custom built to order) or 14 day returns.
You get exactly the same warranty and accessories as the full price version.
If you have a family member at Uni, then you could get them to purchase a new one, saving 17% (iirc) and having the 3 yr Applecare included FOC as well.

Discount doesn't apply to refurb'd machines, since they're already discounted.

Refurb's can be cancelled BTOs (custom built to order) or 14 day returns.
You get exactly the same warranty and accessories as the full price version.
If you have a family member at Uni, then you could get them to purchase a new one, saving 17% (iirc) and having the 3 yr Applecare included FOC as well.

Discount doesn't apply to refurb'd machines, since they're already discounted.

Don't have a fam member at uni. I'm going to uni but don't have a letter of acceptance until exam results day, and I need it ordered before then so going to go for the refurb.

Sounds like a pretty good deal!

Retina screen and quicker than the standard 15inch non-retina for less price!

I don't think there are many other benefits... better telephone support is one I think, equipment loan if your gear is in for service is another. Priority service and repairs are well worth joining for though, you never know when you'll need it!

NPS membership does give you priority service and repairs which is a great benefit in itself. Loaners if turnaround times are long, and for those who work the major events the invaluable service of onsite NPS support at Tennis, F1, Olympics, and other major sporting tournaments. It is however for working professionals only.

Nikon have the Nikon Professional User (NPU) membership which is for those who are not working professionals but have sufficient qualifying gear.

Unlike the Canon membership (CPS) there is a split of service and categorisation (without how much you are prepared to pay being the differentiator) , and the acceptance process for NPS is far more rigorous.

NPS membership does give you priority service and repairs which is a great benefit in itself. Loaners if turnaround times are long, and for those who work the major events the invaluable service of onsite NPS support at Tennis, F1, Olympics, and other major sporting tournaments. It is however for working professionals only.

Nikon have the Nikon Professional User (NPU) membership which is for those who are not working professionals but have sufficient qualifying gear.

Unlike the Canon membership (CPS) there is a split of service and categorisation (without how much you are prepared to pay being the differentiator) , and the acceptance process for NPS is far more rigorous.

How do they define professional?

How do they define professional?

In the "it is your job" sense of the word - not in the "I sell a few prints and shoot the odd wedding" sense of the word, or the "I'm really polite to my clients and reply to emails promptly" sense of the word.

Intended for freelance or staff press photographers, agency photographers, full-time social or commercial photographers. Think about the kind of people that shoot at the major events, the kind of people for whom losing a lens or body for more than 2-3 days would significantly damage their ability to earn their living and not just be an inconvenience.

In your situation, I'd say you were borderline for NPS given you are a FT student. It would depend on your profile as a wildlife photographer. Andy Rouse would have qualified when he was shooting Nikon.

But then I'm not the gatekeeper, it isn't for me to say. All I know is that some of my friends who are FT working pros were initially bounced when they did their background checking. I'm sure there are people who do get accepted for NPS that are just well equipped amateurs who should be in the NPU scheme.

In the "it is your job" sense of the word - not in the "I sell a few prints and shoot the odd wedding" sense of the word, or the "I'm really polite to my clients and reply to emails promptly" sense of the word.

Intended for freelance or staff press photographers, agency photographers, full-time social or commercial photographers. Think about the kind of people that shoot at the major events, the kind of people for whom losing a lens or body for more than 2-3 days would significantly damage their ability to earn their living and not just be an inconvenience.

In your situation, I'd say you were borderline for NPS given you are a FT student. It would depend on your profile as a wildlife photographer. Andy Rouse would have qualified when he was shooting Nikon.

But then I'm not the gatekeeper, it isn't for me to say. All I know is that some of my friends who are FT working pros were initially bounced when they did their background checking. I'm sure there are people who do get accepted for NPS that are just well equipped amateurs who should be in the NPU scheme.

Ok - I'm not too fussed to be honest about joining.
Maybe in the future. Thanks for the info.

Well, am still none the wiser what to do... one minute I think yes, get one now, but as mine is still chugging away I favour waiting as a newer model may have better battery, have the ac wifi, have a slight bump in speed - a big plus could be the option of 16gb RAM in 13" ones and maybe the SSD will reduce slightly in price.

Still unsure that a 256gb ssd will be big enough, allthough plan to store most pics & video on external drive. Also, while I like the size of the 13" the 15" is tempting as you can have better RAM and has better graphics card.

Back