Nikon Z* mirrorless

Hi, had a bit of a mishap in my settings on the Z8, thought I had saved to an SD card but for some reason didn't so I have had to go through again and set up but for the life of me I cannot remember how to set my fn1 button to hold to reduce the number of FPS to 5, I use this when a bird lands and don't need 20FPS.
Russ.
F2

you asked for it -- but just one. It has to be an Irish Setter of course as other breeds are beneath contempt but I managed to find a cousin to Ruby in St. Andrews, albeit a rather larger one.

View attachment 427177
Lovely light on the fur. Like the colour-matched knee support.

I didn't actually notice the knee support when taking the photo -- first became aware of it when a friend (who admittedly last saw Ruby about 5 years ago) asked me if Ruby's leg was better :)

Mtf chart inside
Looks like an awful awful old zoom. An absolute disaster of a lens. What were they smoking?! Pick any old odd 35mm and it will perform much better. What a waste of £700

Hired a 600mm f6.3 and ended up being bitterly disappointed with it. So many soft images. My OM-1 with 300mm f4 is in another league for focusing and sharpness.
The lens did give me some excellent images, but far too few.
I think if I look for a longer reach Z lens I'll look at the 400 f4.5.

My 70-2200mm f2.8 lens turned up on Thursday had a bit of a play/test when the Mrs was cutting the garden yesterday. It's sharp for the whole range at f2.8 unlike the 70-180mm I had which needed a bit of stopping down in the 70-105mm range. Also, it a lot better at 200mm;)

Being ambulant disabled I can't say it feels a lot heavier than the 70-180mm from memory. I removed the lens foot and didn't notice any sharp edges from the tripod ring as reported by some reviewers. I have a mobility scooter so I'm never going to walk miles and I can see the lighter advantages for you explorers

It may seem strange, but being riddled with arthritis and I have had numerous operations to my shoulders, knees and elbows (for Ulnar nerves) I think a bit of weight /size helps me grip better and helps with being stabilised for me when not using a tripod. When I had a Sony A7 and more recently the Panasonic S5 I found them too small and feel better with the Z8.

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice. Wish I could get a decent shot of Mistletoe, our Jack Russell. She either sleeping, eating, peeing, or nose-down in a hedge!.
I don't think Jack Russels are known for staying still very long! Shame our two dogs weren't able to meet back then in 2019. Ruby certainly won't be making another trip to the UK. But perhaps our next setter......

I’ll play - one taken a while back of our Charlie relaxing

And one of his younger sister - Daisy

Last edited:
Hi

Sorry may I check if Nikon z6ii has the Canon FV equivalent option?

Thank you

Hired a 600mm f6.3 and ended up being bitterly disappointed with it. So many soft images. My OM-1 with 300mm f4 is in another league for focusing and sharpness.
The lens did give me some excellent images, but far too few.
I think if I look for a longer reach Z lens I'll look at the 400 f4.5
That sounds Strange the 600pf should easly outperform the olympus what camera where you using and what where you Shooting

One from a trip to Devon in early June - we were very lucky and had a fair few sunny days !
Zfc and 12-28

53825537169_e5d7fd5d4a_h.jpg
The Ship Inn, Noss Mayo by Justa1972, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hiya All,

Has anyone used a 20mm/21mm manual Sony E lens on a Nikon Z using one of the many adapters?

If so, what lens and adapters - and how did you find it?

I have a range of the Voigtlander Z lenses, and I’m looking at the Voigtlander 21mm f/3.5 together with the Megadap adapter (so I can get the focus aids), but I’ve read mixed reviews using wide lenses with the E to Z adapters.

If anyone could provide any insight, that would be appreciated.

Ta,
Shane

Hiya All,

Has anyone used a 20mm/21mm manual Sony E lens on a Nikon Z using one of the many adapters?

If so, what lens and adapters - and how did you find it?

I have a range of the Voigtlander Z lenses, and I’m looking at the Voigtlander 21mm f/3.5 together with the Megadap adapter (so I can get the focus aids), but I’ve read mixed reviews using wide lenses with the E to Z adapters.

If anyone could provide any insight, that would be appreciated.

Ta,
Shane
Shane. I’ve got a Sony mount Samyang 14mm which Ive used the Megadap adapter on my Zf. Operation like native. Must admit I don’t use it much.

Not a dog. Zf with Artralab Nonikkor 35mm f1.4 at f2.8.. Lovely lens when focussed correctly - unfortunately my eyes have difficulty in doing just that, no matter how I try.

Horse by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Last edited:
Further to my previous post I also bought a Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary this week., for my longer needs over the 400mm f4.5.. The 150-600mm is too heavy for me to hand hold. Those extra 600gms or so over the 400mm or 70-200mm are more than evident.

Bit hit and mix with the 150-600mm, closer up its seems good as per Female Sparrow below, but for approx. 8 > metres and it's struggles for sharper images even on the tripod, I think the 400mm f4.5 maybe better and cropping in. More testing needed probably.

Also, a photo of the three lenses mentioned as it maybe of help to some of the readers for an idea on the size of the lenses.

Female House Sparrow. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

There Amigos by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Looks like used 76IIs are falling into my price bracket now. Does the focusing have a sheep recognition option? :)

That sounds Strange the 600pf should easly outperform the olympus what camera where you using and what where you Shooting
Yes indeed. Puffins on Skomer. In terms of focus acquisition my 70-200 f2.8 was in a different league.
I'm really scratching my head over it to be honest. Bad sample? Well it did produce some good images but they were so few in number.
I used it over a couple of days on the island and shot several thousand images - and then deleted several thousand images.

Yes indeed. Puffins on Skomer. In terms of focus acquisition my 70-200 f2.8 was in a different league.
I'm really scratching my head over it to be honest. Bad sample? Well it did produce some good images but they were so few in number.
I used it over a couple of days on the island and shot several thousand images - and then deleted several thousand images.
I am surprised to hear your feedback. I have only ever used the 400mm f4.5 and same lens with 1.4x. It was at least as good as my 200-600mm if not better (which i have also used in Skomer myself).
Everything I read about the 600mm PF says its better than 400mm f4.5.

Yss that does sound very Strange i borrowed a z9 with the 500pf and the af was very vast ,a and i am sure i read somewhere the 600 was quicker i got very few oof shots ,shooting peregrins in flight i was using the auto af which worked very well , might be worth contacting who you hired it off to check it out to hire it.if youve paid good money

Back