Nikon Z* mirrorless

To me Nikon are getting this all wrong. Baby this and baby that MK1, 2 and 3.

Where is the 32MP crop sensor Z camera. ?
for what purposes? Cameras need to have a place and a purpose in a line up. Its easy to say whatabout this and that - theres no 300mm f2.8 as there was with the F mount and Canon have a 100-300 f2.8 in their portfolio. Theres no Z mount native tilt shift.

Usually in Olympic years EVERY camera manufacturer used to come out with a new flagship in most cases with significant improvements on the previous model but Nikon have gone for a different approach on improvements through filmware updates, so their strategy is a deviation from the usual so maybe the consumer expectation needs to as well

To me Nikon are getting this all wrong. Baby this and baby that MK1, 2 and 3.

Where is the 32MP crop sensor Z camera. ?
Or the 40mp crop body, fuji have managed get a couple out now and I'm pretty sure they using Sony sensors too like Nikon. Why isn't Nikon (and Sony themselves) not putting out bodies with this sensor.

Seems like are simply recycling old sensors on APS-C.

What’s the fixation on high megapixels? Sure, they’re useful if you’re into heavy cropping or very large prints, but for most people 24 is fine, :exit:
Depending on what you do it probably is. Real estate, wedding, all usually fit well within. Product photography, landscape or maybe even the former sometimes just needs that extra resolution because you never know when client will ask for a large print, a trade exhibition poster or simply a large file. You can always try gigapixel but it is clearly nowhere near close, and actually you sometimes need some upscaling even for 8K files. I'd say it is good idea to go for 8K or higher for commercial work, and less is fine for weddings, sports and personal projects.

What’s the fixation on high megapixels? Sure, they’re useful if you’re into heavy cropping or very large prints, but for most people 24 is fine, :exit:
guess the people wanting high megapixel on forums like this are not "most people".
I don't think photography forums are a great representation of the general public.

Dare I suggest, without rancour, that camera manufacturers create high megapixel cameras for two groups. People, as to whom @LongLensPhotography alludes and need those pixels, and people who marketeers aim for who want larger files even though in many cases they will just be displayed online. In my view want and need are two different things. And yes, I don't need the calibre of equipment I own, but I want it.

Dare I suggest, without rancour, that camera manufacturers create high megapixel cameras for two groups. People, as to whom @LongLensPhotography alludes and need those pixels, and people who marketeers aim for who want larger files even though in many cases they will just be displayed online. In my view want and need are two different things. And yes, I don't need the calibre of equipment I own, but I want it.
Of course, if people only bought what they needed, I think a lot of businesses will end. Especially luxury goods focussed industries.

Also, if a phone camera has 48MP then a 'proper' camera that doesn't must be carp!

I would have just liked the option of a few more megapixels as the z8 body is to big.

Of course, if people only bought what they needed, I think a lot of businesses will end. Especially luxury goods focussed industries.
And that’s precisely what manufacturers are counting on. Not saying they shouldn’t, as I am guilty as most, but it depends on whether one buys with their heart or their head. ;)

And that’s precisely what manufacturers are counting on. Not saying they shouldn’t, as I am guilty as most, but it depends on whether one buys with their heart or their head. ;)
It is said that most people buy with their heart but their brain. It seems to ring true, and consequently marketing departments are hard at work selling the megapickles, and still fail to match smagung official numbers which only amount to precisely just that

I do a lot of work with 20-something MP cameras and 90% this is all you will need, but there is that 10% and sometimes you get caught out when a client decides the online image needs to be printed across 2.2m tall poster

Just thinking out loud, you can do this by either bumping up spec sheet, or by creating a luxury experience in the UI and materials, as far as going for gold plating, precious stones etc, or perhaps even both.
Now I don't think I see much of the latter in camera space and even red dot doesn't really qualify as a valid example. We don't even get full genuine leather handgrips, not chrome / titanium plating, nothing...

Would that be any real loss?
Yes for the influencers, idiots and ultra-rich as what would they do except wither and die?
For the average user they are buying either to a price or specification.

Would that be any real loss?
Yes for the influencers, idiots and ultra-rich as what would they do except wither and die?
I don't think those are the only people that indulge themselves in luxuries.
Our last family holiday abroad for example was a luxury (to us anyway) but I wouldn't classify us into one of those categories.
People like nice things and its nice that they exist. nothing wrong with that.

cholocale, sweets, alchohol, jewellery, TV, etc etc etc - list is endless. (at least I wouldn't classify them as needs)
no idea if it'd be a loss.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For the average user they are buying either to a price or specification.

Last edited:
I don't think those are the only people that indulge themselves in luxuries.
Our last family holiday abroad for example was a luxury (to us anyway) but I wouldn't classify us into one of those categories.
People like nice things and its nice that they exist. nothing wrong with that.

cholocale, sweets, alchohol, jewellery, TV, etc etc etc - list is endless. (at least I wouldn't classify them as needs)
no idea if it'd be a loss.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was talking about the bling, bling and Kardashian/Hilton level of excesses.
We live in a world where there are so many without food so these bling, bling excesses are not needs or treats, but are ostentacious nouveau riche displays.

The chocolate, sweets are certain 'nice to haves' and not absolutely necessary but yes they give some pleasure.

Last edited:
for what purposes? Cameras need to have a place and a purpose in a line up. Its easy to say whatabout this and that - theres no 300mm f2.8 as there was with the F mount and Canon have a 100-300 f2.8 in their portfolio. Theres no Z mount native tilt shift.

Usually in Olympic years EVERY camera manufacturer used to come out with a new flagship in most cases with significant improvements on the previous model but Nikon have gone for a different approach on improvements through filmware updates, so their strategy is a deviation from the usual so maybe the consumer expectation needs to as well
There is a need for a hign MP crop sensor for bird and wildlife photogrpahy. Some manufacturers undrestand this, Nikon used to, 10 yrs ago they had 24mp crop sensor cameras. Nikon are a mile behined in the crop sensor range now.

The D500 is a great camera, we need a Z version that is up to date with the other manufactures high MP count.
There should be a Z mount 300mm F2.8 and it should be super light like the Sony. And there should be a tilt shif lens. Why not?

It's a simple as that. Hope you now understand.:rolleyes:

There is a need for a hign MP crop sensor for bird and wildlife photogrpahy. Some manufacturers undrestand this, Nikon used to, 10 yrs ago they had 24mp crop sensor cameras. Nikon are a mile behined in the crop sensor range now.

The D500 is a great camera, we need a Z version that is up to date with the other manufactures high MP count.
There should be a Z mount 300mm F2.8 and it should be super light like the Sony. And there should be a tilt shif lens. Why not?

I did indeed in my original post accept that higher pixel were useful for heavy cropping. But the blanket high pixel chase by all manufacturers is simply a perpetual spiral.

It is indeed a myth that you need huge megapixels to print large. Pop into Chiswick Cameras and ask to see some of their A1 prints from Olympus cameras. You can even print a 6ft poster in acceptable quality with an iPhone file. If you listen to some people they would have you think we never printed anything larger than 6"x4" in film days.

It is indeed a myth that you need huge megapixels to print large. Pop into Chiswick Cameras and ask to see some of their A1 prints from Olympus cameras. You can even print a 6ft poster in acceptable quality with an iPhone file. If you listen to some people they would have you think we never printed anything larger than 6"x4" in film days.
I remember when we were doing huge prints from a D1X.

I do wonder if Sony releasing their 300 f2.8 has changed what snd when Nikon will be releasing theirs.

Stats:

Canon 100-300 f2.8
released April 3023
2590g
£11,099

Sony 300 f2.8
Released November 2023
1450g
£5799

Those 7 months make a huge difference as the Canon 300 f2.8 RF lens is now out of date as a 300mm f2.8 lens because it’s too heavy and too expensive compared to the competition.

Nikon 300mm f2.8 lens really needs to be closer to the Sony in price and weight than the canon version, and maybe throw in a built in teleconverter to be a bit different to the others.

now I am confused! I seem to remember you had the Tamron when we both had Z6 mark i's. But I thought you'd gone for the Nikon 14-30 for UWA. So do you now have both or did the Nikon have to go?

now I am confused! I seem to remember you had the Tamron when we both had Z6 mark i's. But I thought you'd gone for the Nikon 14-30 for UWA. So do you now have both or did the Nikon have to go?
The Nikon went as I thought I could get away with just a 20mm, which I still have (Viltrox) and do use. But I got the chance of a Tamron 17-35, as indeed I had when I first bought the Z6, for a minimal cost which would have been rude to refuse. I still maintain that the FTZ makes it a bit unwieldy. Oh, incidentally, I got far more than I expected for the 14-30 and the Tamron was less than half of that. I find the Tamron can be just a tad soft, but Topaz Sharpen AI works wonders.

OK -- eventually I'll probably get a native UWA but at the moment still use the 15mm Irix with adaptor (tbh, I mainly put it on the Df these days)

Cosina have announced they are discontinuing the 35mm F2 and 50 F2 APO Lanthars.
In Z mount.

What's the source for this ?
Cosina.

Seriously I think the 35 has been out of stock in the uk for a while.
I don’t understand why they’ve done this. They were only launched 2-3 years ago.

Cosina have announced they are discontinuing the 35mm F2 and 50 F2 APO Lanthars.
In Z mount.
That makes no sense, the ZF has sent sales of Z mount Voigtlanders sky high, oh well, if anyone wants my 50 it's now available for £3k due to the rarity, market forces and all that :ROFLMAO:

Cosina.

Thanks, Seriously bad news as they were both lenses I was going to buy.

But I wonder what it means.

Given the apparent success of the Zf, I wonder if, as I suggested in an earlier post, and given that the Z mount CV lenses are made under license from Nikon, whether Cosina might be going to make Nikon badged manual focus lenses (as they did for Zeiss, albeit those lenses were designed by Zeiss.

Thanks, Seriously bad news as they were both lenses I was going to buy.

But I wonder what it means.

Given the apparent success of the Zf, I wonder if, as I suggested in an earlier post, and given that the Z mount CV lenses are made under license from Nikon, whether Cosina might be going to make Nikon badged manual focus lenses (as they did for Zeiss, albeit those lenses were designed by Zeiss.
I can recommend you look at the Nonnikkor lenses from Artralab.
Really well built and optically surprisingly good.

Back