Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

That looks like processing artefacts to me, I try not to use NR in LR if I can help it as it does 'smudge' detail and it can start to make it look a bit watercolour like, that goes for all cameras although FF do tend to stand up more to 'abuse' in processing. If you think Olympus files take some getting used to processing I'd suggest staying away from Fuji :eek:;) Yep Alf is one that always springs to mind for me too, although I took a look at Jerry's website last night and it's very impressive.

Thanks for the compliment! They're always welcome.

Very few of the images on my website are actually taken with the Olympus, though. I only started using it last autumn.

What do you use for NR, if not Lightroom?

I can't help thinking though.....there must be SOME disadvantages to m4/3!

Am getting to grips with and enjoying my hybrid Olympus+Canon (or is it Canon+Olympus?) macro rig and its advantages of 280mm (equivalent) reach. I prefer to capture at least a hint of habitat in my wildlife shots. Thanks to the Metabones Adapter it does everything which an Olympus 60mm Macro does except Focus Stacking/Bracketing.

I am already hooked on dragonflies and created a Facebook group which now has over 7,000 members and now I am feeling very drawn towards photographing grasshoppers as well.

GOLDEN GRASSHOPPER IN A PASSING SHOWER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ ^ ^ I can confirm that the Olympus STF-8 flash is wet weatherproof to the same high standard as the Olympus Pro gear.

GRASSHOPPER PORTRAIT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

GREEN GRASSHOPPER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

These are just Fabulous Robin.

Love the nightscape one in NYC Toby.

Weather has been really bad here these last couple of days with not much opportunity for photos. I did manage the Blue tit yesterday but nothing today so I went through some older stuff I felt not worth processing at the time, either because of noise or not really sharp. These two, while not perfect came up ok after a pass through Topaz Denoise. I wondered if it might be a Dunnock?

Birdtree 2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Treebird by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

I wondered if it might be a Dunnock?

.... Definitely a Dunnock. They sing quite sweetly but not quite as well as a Robin or Blackcap. Dunnocks are fairly approachable too when they get used to seeing you - Rather like Robins.

.... Definitely a Dunnock. They sing quite sweetly but not quite as well as a Robin or Blackcap. Dunnocks are fairly approachable too when they get used to seeing you - Rather like Robins.
Thanks Robin. Speaking of robins , they do seem less jittery around people than some other birds, except when I have my camera in hand.

Lovely gallery Toby thanks for that
Thanks very much :)
Thanks for the compliment! They're always welcome.

Very few of the images on my website are actually taken with the Olympus, though. I only started using it last autumn.

What do you use for NR, if not Lightroom?

I can't help thinking though.....there must be SOME disadvantages to m4/3!
I don’t tend to use NR if I can help it, certainly not for most landscapes as I shoot at base ISO.
Disadvantages of m4/3 are low light handling, DR compared to most FF, and the relative lack of subject isolation/shallow DOF (y)
Love the nightscape one in NYC Toby.
Thanks, it’s definitely one of my favourite holiday snaps, Olympus IBIS certainly helped get this shot (y)

Just had a senior moment , just about to press buy it now on a 14-42mm lens on the bay . As it was a bargain price .. thought I had better check to see how it would fit in my current lens range .. had a look in my lens repository and guess what I already got one .. ah well the search goes on ..
bloody lockdowns playing with my brain :exit::exit:

Here’s one from me with my 12-100 copy from a couple of years ago whilst in Greece. I’ve deliberately tried to find an image with loads of fine detail. This was at full reach (100mm) and feel free to zoom in on my Flickr page. To me it’s about as sharp and detailed as you could want ?

Last edited:
Here’s one from me with my 12-100 copy from a couple of years ago whilst in Greece. I’ve deliberately tried to find an image with loads of fine detail. This was at full reach (100mm) and feel free to zoom in on my Flickr page. To be it’s about as sharp and detailed as you could want ?

That is very impressive!

super detail Andrew . I bet a run through topaz would improve it even more

On the subject of Topaz Denoise - does anyone think the latest update is not so good? I've deleted the previous version but I'm now wishing I hadn't. It could just be the photos I've tried it on, but it doesn't seem quite as good to me.

Edit: I've just been back and re-done the same raw file as before. They do look slightly different, but I'm not sure which is better, so perhaps it's just the particular images I was using.

Last edited:
On the subject of Topaz Denoise - does anyone think the latest update is not so good? I've deleted the previous version but I'm now wishing I hadn't. It could just be the photos I've tried it on, but it doesn't seem quite as good to me.

I don't use it too much (yet!) but when you say previous version do you mean earlier V2 releases or v1 ?

That does look very detailed and sharp, Andrew.

I did deliberately choose the image because it seemed to show clumpiness which I don't have an explanation for. And it was a crop at 100%. It's possible it could be user error - either poor focussing, over-sharpening and/or using more NR than necessary.

I'm looking into Topaz Denoise AI to see how that works on landscapes. I know there several enthusiasts here for it.....

I don't use it too much (yet!) but when you say previous version do you mean earlier V2 releases or v1 ?
To be honest I'm not sure, but I mean the version that got left on your computer when you upgraded it, so it may have been v1. I could go back and check on time machine.... but it could just be in my head o_O it just hasn't looked as impressive.

To be honest I'm not sure, but I mean the version that got left on your computer when you upgraded it, so it may have been v1. I could go back and check on time machine.... but it could just be in my head o_O it just hasn't looked as impressive.

Ah! reason I asked......not on PC right now, check what I am thinking......is that earlier releases of v 2 are available but not (without special requests?) v 1

PS just had a dig and my surmise seems to have correct
https://community.topazlabs.com/c/releases current and 'current' version released priors but not v1

Last edited:
OK here’s another with the 12-100 (same holiday), but this time at 18mm and with lots of foliage to really test the lens (and cameras) resolving capabilities. TBH, I can’t see even full frame and Zeiss lenses getting much more out of this scene ? If anything, this is a tad over sharpened. Basically what I’m trying to demonstrate is that the 12-100 F4 as a super zoom convenience lens doesn’t give up much if anything to the F2.8 zooms or primes other than aperture. But I’ll take the convenience of a single lens on holiday over a bunch of faster lenses anyday.

E

Last edited:

Edit: I've just been back and re-done the same raw file as before. They do look slightly different, but I'm not sure which is better, so perhaps it's just the particular images I was using.
you should be on V2-2-2 by now and there are several ways to edit your pic in that to get it right . I never leave mine on the pre-set first up option

OK here’s another with the 12-100 (same holiday), but this time at 18mm and with lots of foliage to really test the lens (and cameras) resolving capabilities. TBH, I can’t see even full frame and Zeiss lenses getting much more out of this scene ? If anything, this is a tad over sharpened. Basically what I’m trying to demonstrate is that the 12-100 F4 as a super zoom convenience lens doesn’t give up much if anything to the F2.8 zooms or primes other than aperture. But I’ll take the convenience of a single lens on holiday over a bunch of faster lenses anyday.

E

Stop it, stop it stop it...... I have just bought the 17mm F1.2, the 12-40 F2.8 and the 40-150F2.8 for my OMD 1 MKiii that is on order....... my missus will kill me if i get the 12-100 as well...... Mind you all the ones i have bought are mint second hand, so think of the money i have saved..... Perhaps enough for a 12-100 :)

Stop it, stop it stop it...... I have just bought the 17mm F1.2, the 12-40 F2.8 and the 40-150F2.8 for my OMD 1 MKiii that is on order....... my missus will kill me if i get the 12-100 as well...... Mind you all the ones i have bought are mint second hand, so think of the money i have saved..... Perhaps enough for a 12-100 :)
Don't worry, the 12-40mm will give you images like this (y)

E
On webpages like this you're not going to see any extra detail that this tbh, only when you start getting towards pixel level will you start to see a difference imo. If we all went back to 6x4 and 7x5 prints nobody would even be mentioning differences in detail ;)

Don't worry, the 12-40mm will give you images like this (y)

Well having seen your Olympus page i reckon i have a bit of a challenge getting to the same levels as you, Andrew, Jeff and others.

With regards lenses i think I will just enjoy learning to get the best out of what I have already bought. If anything perhaps a 1.4 teleconverter ......

Well having seen your Olympus page i reckon i have a bit of a challenge getting to the same levels as you, Andrew, Jeff and others.

With regards lenses i think I will just enjoy learning to get the best out of what I have already bought. If anything perhaps a 1.4 teleconverter ......
Thanks for the kind words, I'm sure you're better than you think you are though (y)

TBH you've got some great lenses, I highly rate the 12-40mm f2.8 and 40-150mm f2.8 lenses, absolute quality. I wish other brands built lenses as well as these, and added the MF clutch that these have. I've never had the privilege of using the 17mm f1.2 but it's supposed to be very impressive, and of course has that great M.Zuiko Pro build.

If you ever do want a longer lens rather than the TC then I was always very happy with my copy of the 100-400mm Panny lens, I think all bar two of the wildlife shots on my page I linked to are with the 100-400mm.

new addition this morning I have just purchased a four thirds olympus 25mm ext tube from a member who contacted me . it arrived this morning and had a quick play so far , need to work on my actual settings with this so 50-200 SWD plus 25mm tube .. one of my first shots , think I have worked out a regime/workflow for it but might need adjusting , hand held in the garden quite pleased so far .. need to figure out how to get it to play with the 1.4 tc now .
also got a 45mm f1.7 for the armoury ,had one before and regretted selling it .
get in deep by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

new addition this morning I have just purchased a four thirds olympus 25mm ext tube from a member who contacted me . it arrived this morning and had a quick play so far , need to work on my actual settings with this so 50-200 SWD plus 25mm tube .. one of my first shots , think I have worked out a regime/workflow for it but might need adjusting , hand held in the garden quite pleased so far .. need to figure out how to get it to play with the 1.4 tc now .
also got a 45mm f1.7 for the armoury ,had one before and regretted selling it .
get in deep by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Nice shot of a leaf-cutter bee Jeff
Probably a patchwork leaf-cutter

you should be on V2-2-2 by now and there are several ways to edit your pic in that to get it right . I never leave mine on the pre-set first up option
Yes I am on that. I have been using it for a year or so and I have been recommending it on here for quite some time, possibly even to you :LOL: I start with the auto settings and then I tweak them, but recently it just hasn't seem to have done as good a job.

As I say, I tested an image that I had previously edited on an old version, and whilst slightly different, it wasn't discernibly worse, so It might be just those images, or just me now expecting more :rolleyes:

It seems my free upgrades will shortly be running out too :(

Yes I am on that. I have been using it for a year or so and I have been recommending it on here for quite some time, possibly even to you :LOL: I start with the auto settings and then I tweak them, but recently it just hasn't seem to have done as good a job.

As I say, I tested an image that I had previously edited on an old version, and whilst slightly different, it wasn't discernibly worse, so It might be just those images, or just me now expecting more :rolleyes:

It seems my free upgrades will shortly be running out too :(

.... Re Topaz DeNoise, having found my 'sweet spot' settings I haven't felt the need to change them through Topaz's different updates.

I find the last update to be faster both in preview and saving. Occasionally it won't satisfy me on a particular image but those are usually more demanding anyway < You can't polish a turd.

@yamahatdm900 I haven't had the 12-100mm all that long. Here are a few examples on the EM1ii.

I haven't noticed any mushiness on it either. I have the 12-40 but haven't used it since I got the 12-100 - purchased as it enabled me to take one lens for both landscape and action on the ski slopes

View attachment 282683View attachment 282685View attachment 282684

Thanks Bebop they look very nice.

Here’s one from me with my 12-100 copy from a couple of years ago whilst in Greece. I’ve deliberately tried to find an image with loads of fine detail. This was at full reach (100mm) and feel free to zoom in on my Flickr page. To me it’s about as sharp and detailed as you could want ?

E

Cheers Andrew heaps of detail in those.
I have been lusting after the 300mm f4 and a E-M1 for a while now, will have to wait to things have returned to normal though and if I do get one I was pondering whether to keep the Fuji for landscapes or go completely Olympus.

Fuji is great don’t get me wrong Graham, with some amazing small primes, but if I’m being 100% honest, when I compare images taken with my X-T2 and X-T3 (during my short stint with Fuji), I can see nothing in them that’s “better” than with Olympus (or Panasonic M4/3). In my experience in at high ISO’s ( 3200 upwards) I saw maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 stop better performance at best, and most times nothing much at all.

For me, Olympus is like a Nissan GTR, state of the art computer driven technology at its best, whereas Fuji is a 1970’s hand built car with a modern engine under the bonnet and modern brakes etc.. Some prefer the more modern approach, some the older approach - both systems get you where you want to go, it’s just that the ride is a little different. Honestly for me the biggest difference between the systems (other than the ergonomics between them) is that the M4/3 is built around a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor and the Fuji a 3:2. Some prefer one some the other.

Last edited:
Fuji is great don’t get me wrong Graham, with some amazing small primes, but if I’m being 100% honest, when I compare images taken with my X-T2 and X-T3 (during my short stint with Fuji), I can see nothing in them that’s “better” than with Olympus (or Panasonic M4/3). In my experience in at high ISO’s ( 3200 upwards) I saw maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 stop better performance at best, and most times nothing much at all.

For me, Olympus is like a Nissan GTR, state of the art computer driven technology at its best, whereas Fuji is a 1970’s hand built car with a modern engine under the bonnet and modern brakes etc.. Some prefer the more modern approach, some the older approach - both systems get you where you want to go, it’s just that the ride is a little different. Honestly for me the biggest difference between the systems (other than the ergonomics between them) is that the M4/3 is built around a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor and the Fuji a 3:2. Some prefer one some the other.

Thanks Andrew If I was starting from scratch I would it be the Olympus. I had a E-m1 mark 1 alongside a D800 a few years ago and always liked using, I really liked the 45 and 75mm f1.8.
Tempted by the mk2 and the 12-100 would do for 95% of my shots and I maybe the Laowa 9mm if I wanted to go longer.

I’m returning to m43 with an e-m10 mk2 ( arrived yesterday ) and a 17mm f1.8 ( arriving monday )

I've had a real dilemma - I loved m43 but I also was wowed by the Fuji X100T. Amazing output, fantastic black and whites but on occasion I struggled with the fixed lens

so i convinced myself m43 as a travel / IG set up. Ideally I wanted a e-m1.2 as I know how GAS goes but I’ve tried to temper things ( and also knowing my eldest turns 17 in 2 months so another car is required shortly )

hoping reality is as good as dreams...

Back