Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Couple of good ideas in that article ,the off camera flash lead and the use of butter tubs as diffusers brilliant
It seems the off camera cord JJC FC-03 is not sold by any UK retailers or online 'stores'. I could only find eBay ones :(

yeah I got one "saved" but currently not sure that I would use it enough to warrant buying one

Couple of good ideas in that article ,the off camera flash lead and the use of butter tubs as diffusers brilliant

The pringle diffuser on camera

EM1 sigma 105 Mk11 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

The takeaway tub

Macro-rig by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Macro-rig-2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

More diffusion

Macro rigg E M5II by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Comparison results

Diffused flash

Fly with flash by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Sunlight

Fly with sunlight by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Did anyone watch the OM Live broadcast with wildlife photographer Andy Rouse the other evening?

I thought it was very good and have now been exploring very high ISO on my OM-1. Results on ISO 12800 greatly surprised me yesterday at dawn and mean that I can now shoot my surfer mates doing 'dawnys'.

Last edited:
Did anyone watch the OM Live broadcast with wildlife photographer Andy Rouse the other evening?

I thought it was very good and have now been exploring very high ISO on my OM-1. Results on ISO 12800 greatly surprised me yesterday at dawn and mean that I can now shoot my surfer mates doing 'dawnys'.
Not yet but will do so ........though I think I spotted it is over 1 hour in length.

Not yet but will do so ........though I think I spotted it is over 1 hour in length.
.... All the OM System (and previous Olympus) Live chats last an hour. This was only a few minutes over.

When you like the subject, the hour passes too quickly!

OM's David Smith does some excellent tutorial ones.

Brilliant Alf, and very ingenious, the results speak for themselves. (y)

Lots of options here

It appears that this superb lens has increased in price yet again! Now a penny less than £6,800 in the OM-D online shop and no guarantees of when you'll get one if you pre-order, which they call "Priority Order". OMD's David Smith recently mentioned a 2-year wait in one of his live online presentations when asked.

https://shop.olympus.eu/en_GB/lenses...tc1-25x-is-pro

I think I paid £6,100 for mine delivered in August 2021 (pre-ordered December 2020) -
Would I sell mine for a profit of a few hundred pounds? < NO!
Would I have paid £6,800? Having experienced using it as my main lens and very often, the answer is YES!

It appears that this superb lens has increased in price yet again! Now a penny less than £6,800 in the OM-D online shop and no guarantees of when you'll get one if you pre-order, which they call "Priority Order". OMD's David Smith recently mentioned a 2-year wait in one of his live online presentations when asked.

I think I paid £6,100 for mine delivered in August 2021 (pre-ordered December 2020) -
Would I have paid £6,800? Having experienced using it as my main lens and very often, the answer is YES!
I don't see problem in people buying what they want at whatever price if they have the money. Would I buy one if I could afford it, yes. Would it be a waste of money in my hand, yes again :LOL:

I don't see problem in people buying what they want at whatever price if they have the money. Would I buy one if I could afford it, yes. Would it be a waste of money in my hand, yes again :LOL:
.... I agree and yours is a healthy attitude to have IMO.

But, I don't think it necessarily would be a waste of money in your hands. You might find that you it enables you much more. Enabling the photographer is the heart of the Olympus / OM-D ethos. I know they have used the "enable" word themselves but I sincerely think it's true. However, it also comes down to what sort of photography we each individually do.

Thanks Jeremy got loads more in the series but enough enough for now
.... They're a great subject to photograph aren't they! Either looking handsome when still or when squabbling.

The only times I have spent more than that on anything is twice on new cars , and three times on houses ,even my 23ft yacht was half that amount .. then again I’m running low on diesel in the Honda so who knows LoL

Morning all, i will shortly be going back to an OM1 from a Sony A1 its been a fun 18 Months but i miss features from Olympus and to be honest i dont do Video so having 7k worth of kit laying about isnt a great feeling :)

Anyway, i will order the OM1 shortly and i still have a selection of glass from my old EM5 mk2/G9 days nothing major but thus far i have

60mm Macro
Lumix 25mm F1.7
Lumix and Olympus 14-42 Pancakes
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
12-40 F2.8 Pro mk1
Lumix 45-200 (Budget)

Now i will most probably get the bundle with the new 12-40 mk2 but ive been watching the tube for additional glass to get
For my portrait work i think i,ll go with the 45mm F1.2 Pro, however would you all choose this over the Nokton 42.5 ? i always Lusted after this lens any pros and cons ?

As for walkabout lens i was thinking of the 17mm F1.2 Pro but i think its overkill, any other ones i should look at from your experience, faster the better as i like to do Inside Churches and Street stuff at dusk

For the Sport in me i will probably go with the 40-150, but i wanted to ask is there a decrease in quality on the 1.4 vs the 2x TC, in Sony land the 2 was pretty poor when compared to the 1.4. I did contemplate the 100-400 but 200mm shortened would probably be too long. Do we think there could be a MK2 coming of the 40-150 ?

Im not too Familiar with the 3rd Party arena for Olympus so any advice here so i research would be good, I did see Sigma make a few, anybody have experience with them ?

Many thanks Rob

For the Sport in me i will probably go with the 40-150, but i wanted to ask is there a decrease in quality on the 1.4 vs the 2x TC, in Sony land the 2 was pretty poor when compared to the 1.4. I did contemplate the 100-400 but 200mm shortened would probably be too long. Do we think there could be a MK2 coming of the 40-150 ?

Im not too Familiar with the 3rd Party arena for Olympus so any advice here so i research would be good, I did see Sigma make a few, anybody have experience with them ?

Many thanks Rob
.... The Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO was my first lens when I moved to Olympus in autumn 2019 from a Canon full-frame system including mirrorless. As far as my photography is concerned this lens is a keeper! There is now a F/4 version but the zoom barrel extends, so definitely not for me.

I regularly mount either the MC-14 (1.4x) or MC-20 (2x) and find absolutely no decrease in image quality. Whereas for example, I found a loss in quality when mounting the MC-20 on the Olympus 100-400mm (since sold) - The MC-14 was good on it though.

Personally I would not be tempted by cheaper third-party lenses when mounting on the OM-1 as you may lose or compromise some of the extensive and excellent onboard features which the OM-1 has to offer.

Various photos with the combo are scattered around my albums on Flickr if it's any help :

HTH

Morning all, i will shortly be going back to an OM1 from a Sony A1 its been a fun 18 Months but i miss features from Olympus and to be honest i dont do Video so having 7k worth of kit laying about isnt a great feeling :)

Anyway, i will order the OM1 shortly and i still have a selection of glass from my old EM5 mk2/G9 days nothing major but thus far i have

60mm Macro
Lumix 25mm F1.7
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
12-40 F2.8 Pro mk1
Lumix 45-200 (Budget)

Now i will most probably get the bundle with the new 12-40 mk2 but ive been watching the tube for additional glass to get
For my portrait work i think i,ll go with the 45mm F1.2 Pro, however would you all choose this over the Nokton 42.5 ? i always Lusted after this lens any pros and cons ?

As for walkabout lens i was thinking of the 17mm F1.2 Pro but i think its overkill, any other ones i should look at from your experience, faster the better as i like to do Inside Churches and Street stuff at dusk

Many thanks Rob

For walkabout there is the Panasonic 15mm/1.7 and for interiors my new favourite the Panasonic 9mm/1.7

60mm Macro
Lumix 25mm F1.7
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
12-40 F2.8 Pro mk1
Lumix 45-200 (Budget)

Many thanks Rob
there are lots of Chinese third party lenses available if you search around ,but one I have stands out from the Crowd . its the XIAOYI 42.5mm f1.8 lens stunning performance with a built in macro switch , and unlike lots of alternatives is fully A/F no manual override .. and another plus is it cost me all of a enormous price of £50 delivered . dont use it enough but I have it

there are lots of Chinese third party lenses available if you search around ,but one I have stands out from the Crowd . its the XIAOYI 42.5mm f1.8 lens stunning performance with a built in macro switch , and unlike lots of alternatives is fully A/F no manual override .. and another plus is it cost me all of a enormous price of £50 delivered . dont use it enough but I have it
Interesting Jeff, might look into this many thanks

For walkabout there is the Panasonic 15mm/1.7 and for interiors my new favourite the Panasonic 9mm/1.7
Thanks Rich, that 9mm does sound fun, i did pick up the 8mm fisheye when i was in New York i just had to go to B&H to see the place and while there i got it, slapped it on my EM10 mk 3 and off i went lots of fun...so 9mm none fisheye... mmm yes :)

.... Each to their own of course Jeff, but :

You say it has a macro 'switch' but no Manual Focus Override which is essential for fine-tuning macro and close-up work. And I doubt if it supports Peak Focussing display < Or is that feature not lens dependent?

How weatherproof is it? - It isn't and we shoot mainly in the UK!

Robin Wong has done a video on this lens and compares it with the Olympus 45mm F/1.8 :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPD5Yztwl7A

@littleted Rob, Robin Wong is impressed with it as a "budget lens".

Thanks Rich, that 9mm does sound fun, i did pick up the 8mm fisheye when i was in New York i just had to go to B&H to see the place and while there i got it, slapped it on my EM10 mk 3 and off i went lots of fun...so 9mm none fisheye... mmm yes :)
Fun, that's a very good word to describe it Rob, so good for close ups too with minimum focus distance of 10cm
Currently bit hard to find although i'm sure more will be coming to the UK in the near future.

Last edited:
.... Each to their own of course Jeff, but :

You say it has a macro 'switch' but no Manual Focus Override which is essential for fine-tuning macro and close-up work. And I doubt if it supports Peak Focussing display < Or is that feature not lens dependent?

How weatherproof is it? - It isn't and we shoot mainly in the UK!

Robin Wong has done a video on this lens and compares it with the Olympus 45mm F/1.8 :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPD5Yztwl7A

@littleted Rob, Robin Wong is impressed with it as a "budget lens".
well heres a couple of sample images I just took ,the lens is on my little pen EPM2 camera body . so having made no adjustments just reeled off a few test shots after grabbing the camera the tree is full frame totally uncropped if you want exif detail its on flickr . but its good enough edge to edge detail for me .

the owl is sat on the windowsill behind me so I guess with macro mode engaged about 7 inches from lens front (approx) for what this lens costs compared to even the very low price of the olympus version for the odd times I will use it it punches far far above its selling price . just because you have the available funds doesn't mean you HAVE to spend them the same job can be done for a lot less if want it to

autumn leaves by jeff cohen, on Flickr

macro mode engaged by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
well heres a couple of sample images I just took ,the lens is on my little pen EPM2 camera body . so having made no adjustments just reeled off a few test shots after grabbing the camera the tree is full frame totally uncropped if you want exif detail its on flickr . but its good enough edge to edge detail for me .

the owl is sat on the windowsill behind me so I guess with macro mode engaged about 7 inches from lens front (approx) for what this lens costs compared to even the very low price of the olympus version for the odd times I will use it it punches far far above its selling price . just because you have the available funds doesn't mean you HAVE to spend them the same job can be done for a lot less if want it to

autumn leaves by jeff cohen, on Flickr

macro mode engaged by jeff cohen, on Flickr
.... Jeff, I thought my post might get you to actually use that lens! :ROFLMAO:

After watching Robin Wong's review and comparison video I actually wondered for a moment whether it would be worth getting one just for macro but then it doesn't support Focus Stacking etc and so I then realised it's not for me for several other reasons too. So, NO, it doesn't do the same job for my photography as my more expensive lenses.

never suggested it would robin but for the £50 delivered it cost me its a keeper .. cheap but not nasty .. .. does the job even better on the 1-mkiii

never suggested it would robin but for the £50 delivered it cost me its a keeper .. cheap but not nasty .. .. does the job even better on the 1-mkiii
.... Sure, I do respect that it's a keeper for you Jeff. And certainly, having watched Robin Wong's video, it's not nasty. For a moment I even thought about whether it would serve my purposes or not but I am happier to have just spent my 50 squid on a brand new, still in its wrapper, FL-LM3 from a kind member here on TP.

I have been testing it indoors on both my 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro and 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro. Having the Oly 12-40mm also means I don't need that Yi 42.5mm F/1.8 lens even if it was a free gift.

Rarely use any short or wide lenses Robin ,bar that 50mm Yi one all my others X3 are four thirds lenses ,and I now have a dedicated four thirds E-620 body for them ,saves chopping and changing lenses around unneeded , with the benefit that after a bit of wheeling and dealing the E-620 stands me exactly £10

Rarely use any short or wide lenses Robin ,bar that 50mm Yi one all my others X3 are four thirds lenses ,and I now have a dedicated four thirds E-620 body for them ,saves chopping and changing lenses around unneeded , with the benefit that after a bit of wheeling and dealing the E-620 stands me exactly £10
.... Yes, I sometimes miss not using two bodies to save faffing around changing lenses or worse - risking airborne debris ingress! I still have one E-M1X body but haven't used it since getting the OM-1 in March. Personally I don't want the extra baggage in the field. Dare I say that having the big white supertelephoto lens with its ability to focus as close as 1.3m covers most of my usual needs - It's partly how I justified the cost.

If I'm shooting railways I just carry the 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro + teleconverters and 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro. Wildlife and surflife always on the big white weapon.

yeah after a message from a friend yesterday I finally got my first winter thrush shots , a fieldfare ..taken in appalling weather conditions but its a starter for the new season
broken duck by jeff cohen, on Flickr

yeah after a message from a friend yesterday I finally got my first winter thrush shots , a fieldfare ..taken in appalling weather conditions but its a starter for the new season
broken duck by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Very nice wildlife style capture Jeff, well composed with some good detail.

Perhaps a silly question, but before I start dicking about I would like to try and get a starting point - What is the highest ISO (on a EM1 mkIII) that gives good quality photos without excessive post processing?
Thanks in advance

Perhaps a silly question, but before I start dicking about I would like to try and get a starting point - What is the highest ISO (on a EM1 mkIII) that gives good quality photos without excessive post processing?
Thanks in advance
Personally I'd not go above ISO1600 on m43 (similarly I wouldn't go higher than ISO6400 on FF).
But people do shoot at higher ISOs and you can get good results with some processing.

Back