"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Hi all, long tine since last post.

I've been there a couple of time and not jumped . . . its time. I have a Nikon D90, plus a couple of lenses including an 18-70. I also have a G1 plus 3 lenses. The Nikon has remained unused for over 18 months and little used before that, because of the G1.

The G1 is now well out of date? . . . and has not been used for almost a year, because I keep picking up my TZ30!

We don't get about much, both Hazel and I are not as mobile as we would like, I have hung on to the G1 for the articulated screen which was/is/can be a help in my poor mobility.

. . . So, one has come across a used Nikon P7100, decent lens, articulated screen, plenty of control . . . or trade in existing kit minus my Panasonic 14-45 lens and go for a G6?

I know I have put a similar post up before, but as I say, I feel its time to jump. Cant get an idea of how good or bad the G6 is. Not sure I want any of the other derivatives in the G series, as I don't think they have the articulated screen or EVF . . . or do they??? I have been out of the camera loop for to long.

Or, do I stay out of the loop, sticking with the TZ30 . . . and sell off the other kit? The TZ30 give no satisfaction as a picture generator in the way the D90 and the G1 did (does/could?).

CJS
CJS

I feel its time to jump. Cant get an idea of how good or bad the G6 is.

Ive just made the leap from G1 to G6 . The ergonomics are very similar to the G1 and the touch screen is really good (if I remember to use it) the buttons are well placed and so far it seems fairly intuitive. It seems lighter but it also seems flimsier, particularly the dial on the top.

With regards to IQ, I need to do some comparisons I think to thoroughly convince myself. What I am noticing is that images are alot more natural and less digital if you know what I mean. I'm doing far less balancing etc in lightroom so balance, colour and contrast are clearly much better.

I very nearly bought a nikon dslr and kept the G1. Nikon for portrait and people shots and panny for everyrhing else but im not so sure now. There is still the lure of a full frame camera for the openness of the image.

If you dont want the wifi, panorama, and other non sensor based bits and bobs (which are actually really cool) then wait for a gx7. Google it. Or just go for the G5 which seems to be at a great price at the momemt. The G5 is fundamentally the same camera.

Hi all, long tine since last post.

I've been there a couple of time and not jumped . . . its time. I have a Nikon D90, plus a couple of lenses including an 18-70. I also have a G1 plus 3 lenses. The Nikon has remained unused for over 18 months and little used before that, because of the G1.

The G1 is now well out of date? . . . and has not been used for almost a year, because I keep picking up my TZ30!

We don't get about much, both Hazel and I are not as mobile as we would like, I have hung on to the G1 for the articulated screen which was/is/can be a help in my poor mobility.

. . . So, one has come across a used Nikon P7100, decent lens, articulated screen, plenty of control . . . or trade in existing kit minus my Panasonic 14-45 lens and go for a G6?

I know I have put a similar post up before, but as I say, I feel its time to jump. Cant get an idea of how good or bad the G6 is. Not sure I want any of the other derivatives in the G series, as I don't think they have the articulated screen or EVF . . . or do they??? I have been out of the camera loop for to long.

Or, do I stay out of the loop, sticking with the TZ30 . . . and sell off the other kit? The TZ30 give no satisfaction as a picture generator in the way the D90 and the G1 did (does/could?).

CJS
CJS

One thing to bear in mind with the G6 (which I have), is that the articulated screen is one of those that flips to the left of the camera. I find that irritating and in the way, albeit great when videoing yourself. I much prefer the articulated screen of my Olympus PEN E-P5 for photographic use or shooting from the hip...

Just a thought...

Also having used both now side by side, I really really like the video capability of the G6, and find the photographic side of the PEN 5 blows it away whilst video is pants...

As you've realised it is a compromise with all including your three cameras...You've got to work out for yourself which is the compromise most acceptable to you...

Helpful feed back Rugeys and Dejongj, thank you very much. Having thought about this a lot more . . . my main issue has to be the lack of use of the D90, what a waist! . . . but its bulky and to heavy, I got it out today for the first time for over a year, it was like meeting an old friend. However, size, weight, practicality, it has to go.

I have an affinity with the G1 I find hard to define, I know its out of date 'but I still love it . . . '?

The conclusion, 'intuitive handling and practicality' are top of my list, I like cost effective too. The G1 still has me spell bound when partnered with the 14-45, I still don't know why?

So I moved on, 'cost effective' the D90 is not, but trade it in for the P7100; I have a camera that does all 'I want' as a neat, self contained, pocketable (just) picture machine with control, minimul or no capital outlay. Retain the G1, as my 'pleasure to own classic'?

I fell comfortable, chasseing for the latest model in anything has never been my bag, not one for gadgets but strongly believe in the right tool for the job. I'm a pipe and slippers man, practical comfort is my game.

CJS

Just received my brand new G5:D
That is really small! I have GF1 but this is very similar to it! Happy days:)
Now, need to claim my free 45-150:D

Just received my brand new G5:D
That is really small! I have GF1 but this is very similar to it! Happy days:)
Now, need to claim my free 45-150:D

G5, free 45-150, where from???
CJS

Last edited:
If you dont want the wifi, panorama, and other non sensor based bits and bobs (which are actually really cool) then wait for a gx7. Google it. Or just go for the G5 which seems to be at a great price at the momemt. The G5 is fundamentally the same camera.

I've just picked up on this sentence and the special offers on the G5, £450 + a free 45-150, even by my pipe and slipper, laid back approach, it has to be looked into?

CJS

Yep, local shop is getting a G5 for me to have a 'play with', they will take all the old kit as PX, do better privately but I cant be bothered with the hassle :shrug:

I've decided the P7100 is exactly what I want as an 'in the pocket?' camera . . . Entering a new era, retired now for 15 months, I need 'a focus . . . ' in my life, one suddenly feels quite excited . . . :naughty:

Kicking myself last night, 8.30, in the middle of a farmers field and a wonderful sunset was developing, I had no camera with me :bonk:

CJS

Last edited:
Guys what would be best card for G5?
There are some card that say 30MB/s reads, but no write info.
If it can do 6fps - what is the size of jpg? and raw?
I just want to buy a card that won't slow the camera down....
8-16GB size.

Would this one be ok? 60/35MB speeds, but not available just now:(

Found it here on Amazon

Maybe this one?

Last edited:
Guys what would be best card for G5?
There are some card that say 30MB/s reads, but no write info.
If it can do 6fps - what is the size of jpg? and raw?
I just want to buy a card that won't slow the camera down....
8-16GB size.

Would this one be ok? 60/35MB speeds, but not available just now:(

Found it here on Amazon

Maybe this one?

As it looks like I'm going down a similar route Phinix, I will be interested in the reply.

I've looked at '7dayshop.com', came up with this:
http://www.7dayshop.com/sandisk-ext...yeS1jYXJkcy1hbmQtdXNiLWZsYXNoLWRyaXZlcyNwPTY=

Sandisk out of stock, so what about this as an option:
http://www.7dayshop.com/lexar-profe...zZWFyY2gvcmVzdWx0Lz9xPVNkK2NhcmRzK2NsYXNzKzEw

. . . or this from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDS...82985&sr=1-1&keywords=amazon+sd+cards+type+10

Be interesting to see what the forum members think? Getting very confused with class 4's & 10's, MB's and GB's. It was so much easier a few years back?:thinking:

CJS

Last edited:
Ive just bought a SanDisk (same as the link) from amazon and there is no lag in transfer from my G6 raw files. At least I can be sure if it is directly from amazon it won't be a fake

Just a few pictures taken with my MD Rokkor 24mm f2.8 mounted on G1.

Typical that it was the first time I've been able to go out with my camera in daylight for a few weeks and it's a miserable day, flat light, windy, drizzling rain and next to no sky. The processed pictures make it look a better day than it was.

All are via Photobucket and so will be a little mangled.

And a 100% crop from that last shot.

It looks to be a good lens and I'll look forward to taking some shots with it on a better day for taking pictures.

Last edited:
I use SanDisk 16GB Extreme SD Card (SDHC) 45MB/s - Class 10 with my GX1

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/SanDisk/SanDisk-16GB-Extreme-SD-Card-(SDHC)-45MB_s---Class-10

My test results which I did last year...
Sandisk 45MB/s card:
Writing speed: 30.7 MByte/s
Reading speed: 36.4 MByte/s

Panasonic Gold Class 10
Writing speed: 12.1 MByte/s
Reading speed: 19.6 MByte/s

As you can see the Class is only one indicator of the speed.
The testing was done using the H2testw tool which many people recommending for checking if cards are genuine.

As mentioned above - buy Direct from Amazon themselves rather than a MarketPlace seller OR from a reputable seller like MyMemory or 7dayshop

Last edited:
Just a quick update on the Rokkor MD 24mm f2.8 for anyone interested...

I thought I was seeing softness at the edges of the frame (at 100%) so I compared my 24mm to my MD 28mm f2.8 and came to the following conclusions...

- When focused on the same subject the centre resolution is about the same.

- When comparing the edge of the frame captured by the 28mm with the same area captured by the 24mm the 28mm is significantly better.

- At the very edges of the 24mm frame the resolution has dropped off still further and fine detail is lost.

I'm a bit disappointed with the performance of the 24mm away from the centre of the frame. I'd read that this lens was exceptionally good, so much so that Leica badged it. It may however be exceptional for a 24mm lens and what I'm seeing may be just the expected issues associated with a 24mm lens but if issues can be seen on MFT I dread to think what it'll look like on FF. Maybe what I'm seeing is par for the course or even better than par as the reviews seem to be saying but if so I'm surprised at the deterioration from 28 to 24mm.

My Voigtlander is very good at the edges, clearly and significantly better then the Rokkor 24mm.

Well there you go, knock, knock on the door this morning, used P7100 delivered, super condition. Then half an hour latter, a phone call from my local (15 miles away) LCE, the G5 is in and awaiting my appraisal.

The whole idea of photography for me these days is simplicity . . . no big heavy bag of lenses. The Nikon serves in that department with the fixed 28-200 zoom. In recent years I have been more than happy with a standard 18-70 Nikon and 14-45 Lumix, having other lenses that have simply gathering dust being un used.

The satisfying pleasure of making the best of this simplistic approach is what appeals to me . . . Why make life complicated, life is 'getting to short' for complications?

So its head down tomorrow, get all the old kit out, match up with their boxes and put my negotiating hat on, making the trip to Colchester on Friday. I wonder what the reaction of the sales assistant will be when I pull the 14-42 kit lens out and put it in the pile of trade in's? That's of course assuming the G5 floats my boat??? :naughty:

The danger is of course, going into a camera emporium with ones guard down with a view to spending money, its like a kid going into a sweetie shop . . . :geek:

CJS

Last edited:
Has anyone upgraded from the G2 to the G3? Is it worth it?
I took my G2 to RIAT at the weekend and really struggled with it. I just could not get the settings right and when I tried to shoot in shutter priority it was taking too long to decide the other settings so I was missing shots. I ended up using auto and machine gunning it in the hopes of getting some decent shots.
I'm now not sure whether to get a more entry level DSLR like a Nikon D3000 and lens, or stick with the lenses I've got and upgrade to a G3. Only got around £200-250 to spend at the moment so quite limited.
I've seen the G3 on ABC Digital Cameras for £189 body only or £229 with kit lens which seems a reasonable price.

I just bought a bargain second-hand G3, learning what to use it for.
All of my cheapo m4/3rds bodies have a different job, I've got loads!
Now G3 seems to be the video king and maybe long-lens digital zoom too.
The indoor smoother high-ISO absolutely does NOT beat my e-pL2's bounced flash, the 'feel' is a third to my G1 and my metal Pens.
Still figuring it out ... bear with ... :D

My early impression (when the G3 hit the shops) was that internal buffer and speeds were not much improved over the G1 and I'm still thinking the same. I reckon the G5 ups the processing power a heck of a lot (along with GH2, G6, GH3 and the newer Olympii)
That's regarding this ;
... and when I tried to shoot in shutter priority it was taking too long to decide the other settings so I was missing shots.

Last edited:
Just a quick update on the Rokkor MD 24mm f2.8 for anyone interested...

- At the very edges of the 24mm frame the resolution has dropped off still further and fine detail is lost.

I have lenses like this that drop off round the edge. It does surprise me that they do on MFT considering that they only use a small area in the middle of the lens because of the small sensor size (or so I thought and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) . I wonder how much of the glass is actually used and needed for the MFT sensor? Or am I talking rubbish?

I have lenses like this that drop off round the edge. It does surprise me that they do on MFT considering that they only use a small area in the middle of the lens because of the small sensor size (or so I thought and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) . I wonder how much of the glass is actually used and needed for the MFT sensor? Or am I talking rubbish?
You're looking at this the wrong way. A full frame sensor has a lower density of pixels per inch - a film sensor is even lower density. Lenses only needed to be "good" to be a great lens on a FF/film sensor. Lenses need to be fantastic to resolve details onto a small sensor.

If you look at the line pairs per mm figures (a measure of how well lenses pass higher frequencies) you will find the best micro 4/3rds lenses are, in fact, 50%+ better (sharper) than Canon/Nikon top end glass. They just have to do it over a much smaller image circle - which is how come they are still relatively affordable.

You're looking at this the wrong way. A full frame sensor has a lower density of pixels per inch - a film sensor is even lower density. Lenses only needed to be "good" to be a great lens on a FF/film sensor. Lenses need to be fantastic to resolve details onto a small sensor.

If you look at the line pairs per mm figures (a measure of how well lenses pass higher frequencies) you will find the best micro 4/3rds lenses are, in fact, 50%+ better (sharper) than Canon/Nikon top end glass. They just have to do it over a much smaller image circle - which is how come they are still relatively affordable.

Yup. I've tried comparing the Rokkors to my Sigma 20mm f1.8, 12-24mm and 50mm but with the wider lenses the resolution just isn't there with my 5D. I'll have to try with the subject bigger in the frame.

I just bought a bargain second-hand G3, learning what to use it for.
All of my cheapo m4/3rds bodies have a different job, I've got loads!
Now G3 seems to be the video king and maybe long-lens digital zoom too.
The indoor smoother high-ISO absolutely does NOT beat my e-pL2's bounced flash, the 'feel' is a third to my G1 and my metal Pens.
Still figuring it out ... bear with ... :D

My early impression (when the G3 hit the shops) was that internal buffer and speeds were not much improved over the G1 and I'm still thinking the same. I reckon the G5 ups the processing power a heck of a lot (along with GH2, G6, GH3 and the newer Olympii)
That's regarding this ;

I'm fairly well invested in M4/3 as well having 5 or 6 lenses, a few old OM lenses and both the GF3 and GF5 bodies along with the G2. The GF5 would have been so much better on the day for the faster action, but at times it was so bright I couldn't see the screen.
With funds being tight for various reasons I was thinking of grabbing a cheap G3 now so I'll at least have the improved video and resolution, then getting a G5 or G6 later in the year when prices have dropped more.
I don't really know my way around the Olympus ranges to know if there's anything worth looking at with them.

ahh thanks I get it now

... I don't really know my way around the Olympus ranges to know if there's anything worth looking at with them.
Every time I do some quick in-shop test I'm impressed with the real-world resolution, detail from the new sensor in the GH3 & Olympus e-M5, e-pL5, e-pM2, e-P5.
People talk about dynamic range and high ISO but I consistently get greater details at 100% from test pictures with these new cameras.
(I'll buy an e-pL6 or e-P5 when the price gets sensible, GH3 is not small or retro egough.)

People talk about dynamic range and high ISO but I consistently get greater details at 100% from test pictures with these new cameras.
(I'll buy an e-pL6 or e-P5 when the price gets sensible, GH3 is not small or retro egough.)

To me a greater concern is the lack of low ISO's. To make cameras and market them as enthusiasts cameras and yet they have base ISO's of 160 or even 200 is IMVHO inexcusable and if my G1 went bang tomorrow I honestly think I'd walk away from MFT as there's just no way I'd buy a MFT camera with a base ISO of 200 and a max shutter speed of 1/4000 no matter what the high ISO looked like.

Alan, I know you know the newest has 1/8000s and ISO-LOW(100ish), but I agree until very recently Olympus was stuffing up the whole bright daylight fast aperture thing.
The e-pL6 and e-P5 have decent low ISO, can anyone say what the GH3's got in that department?
So the one's not making the low-ISO/Fast shutterspeed grade are MANY, but I think they've recently seen the light.
I'd like to see a cheaper smaller G-series with that sensor ASAP : and can we dream of them putting the drive-mode switch back ontop?

Have to say I'm very tempted by a Fuji X100S :eek: Leaf shutter (so very high flash sync speeds), 3 stop ND inbuilt (so you can overpower daylight with flash at wide apertures), small, both EVF & OVF, APS-C sized sensor...

The only downside I can see is fixed focal length lens, but that is the fun bit - right....

Well I've been reading this thread with interest, mainly because I'm at the 'do I jump?' stage. I've picked up on Mandoo's frustrations with the lack of visibility in bright sun light of the 'rear screen', lack of view finders has always been an issue for me. There is also low ISO, I don't find this so much of a problem, but that's personal.

I'm going to be pawing over 'all' my old kit today, its going to be hard to consider the possibility of parting with the G1 . . . :shrug: is the G5 really an answer? Especially as I've had a day to play with the Nikon P7100 . . . manual control is excellent totally intuitive, buttons are where one expects them to be, by my dyslexic standards, simplicity, intuitiveness and natural placement are the difference between pleasure, frustration and disappointment. At one point I even thought 'does one need an alternative modern camera'? . . .

For computer viewing full screen (24") its fine, any bigger and the jaggies start to show, colour is excellent, not got fully to grips with the P7100's WB yet. So the G5 is still in the frame, but it was/is (?) touch and go there fore a while. I'm still thinking, keep the G1, dump the D90+lenses? . . . enjoy the P7100 as my total control walk about? No need to drag lenses about, begs the question where does this leave the G1 or the G5?

CJS

Last edited:
I'm going to be pawing over 'all' my old kit today,...

There are several factors that stop me loving MFT...

No marking no feel FBW lenses.
The lack of low ISO settings (with the latest models) and the restrictive max shutter speed.
The EVF technology that (for me personally) makes low light shooting simply impossible.

I'm uncertain which way to go. I don't like the bulk and weight of DSLR's but MFT just isn't delivering the technology or products that can tempt me to sell my DSLR gear. In daylight my G1 is a joy as long as I'm using 30 year old lenses or trying to juggle lens hoods and ND filters but it's not getting over the finishing post for me personally.

Last edited:
Alan, I know you know the newest has 1/8000s and ISO-LOW(100ish), but I agree until very recently Olympus was stuffing up the whole bright daylight fast aperture thing.
The e-pL6 and e-P5 have decent low ISO, can anyone say what the GH3's got in that department?
So the one's not making the low-ISO/Fast shutterspeed grade are MANY, but I think they've recently seen the light.
I'd like to see a cheaper smaller G-series with that sensor ASAP : and can we dream of them putting the drive-mode switch back ontop?

From what I've read the latest models with 1/8000 and ISO 100 use a ISO 100 which is a bit of a fiddle and leads to the danger of clipped highlights.

It seems to me that these cameras are built with a bias towards having very high ISO's at the expense of the lower settings. Perhaps it's something that marketing can latch on to... "Our camera shoots at ISO 660000000000" and that's fine if you want to shoot in very low light (although how you can with a torch shining directly into your eye I just don't know) but it seems totally at odds with the idea that the best quality is available at the lowest settings (and I know that to a degree this is just a mindset) and works against those who want to shoot with wider apertures in daylight :bang:

There are several factors that stop me loving MFT...
No marking no feel FBW lenses.
The lack of low ISO settings (with the latest models) and the restrictive max shutter speed.
The EVF technology that (for me personally) makes low light shooting simply impossible.

Olympus 12mm and 17mm both have markings
The new e-p5 has low I so and a 1/8000 shutter.
The new vf4 is worth having a look at.

Olympus 12mm and 17mm both have markings
The new e-p5 has low I so and a 1/8000 shutter.
The new vf4 is worth having a look at.

They're still FBW.

The low ISO isn't a true ISO and it can't be included in Auto ISO.

The EVF technology makes low light shooting impossible for me. After one shot my night vision is shot and all I can see is the image my camera burnt into my retina.

I am hard to please but I bought into MFT hoping it could replace my DSLR kit and as time goes on the chances of that happening seem to be getting more remote, not less.

I never shoot in low/dark conditions, the darkest I ever get is sunsets. So that's a problem I don't have an issue with. Weight/size and practicality in the simplest terms are my concern. As I have said, the P7100 looks like it fits that 'general bill', low light is not an issue with the P7100, so I'm led to believe?

I don't go pixel peeping either, perceived 'wysiwyg' image quality is satisfaction enough for me. I'm a simple soul, perhaps one is to easy to please where photography is concerned. May be photographer is presumptuous of me to call my self . . . a 'snapshooter' perhaps?

Table all clear, get out the old stuff, see what I have forgotten I have . . . ready for tomorrow.

CJS

Also with the 12/17mm using the focus ring in "snapshot" mode you get focus stops at closest and infinity. They really are worth having a look at.

Just been having another look at my Rokkor 24mm f2.8 and I did a brick wall test from f2.8 through to 22.

It's sharp enough in the centre from f2.8 but towards the edges things deteriorate and are still not good enough by f8. At f11 things improve a little and become sort of acceptable and I think that this is the sweet spot of this lens but it's behind the Rokkor 28mm f2.8 at all apertures and is the lowest performing Rokkor I have.

I appreciate that MFT is pushing this lens hard but I see nothing to excite about this lens and it doesn't live up to my expectations based on the reviews I've read. I suppose it's possible that I have a dud but there doesn't seem to be anything obviously wrong from side to side and top to bottom. It's also possible that this lens is as the reviews say... one of the best 24mm's but it doesn't perform all that well on MTF and I'd recommend the 28mm f2.8 over it every day of the week.

Last edited:
Back