Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have a current count for number of users on TP who have a GF1/GH1/G1?

Swordjo, happy to hear Nicola is out of hospital.
Have a nice holiday.

I have GF1 with 20mm and 14-45mm, and G1 which I use mainly with the 45-200mm lens connected

Glad to hear Nicola out of hospital, now you take care of her.

Enjoy your time off together looking forward to seeing some pics in due course(y)

Swordjo, happy to hear Nicola is out of hospital.
Have a nice holiday.

Cheers guys, was meant to be going to Tunisia on Sunday but she is not allowed to fly for 6 weeks, so holiday is cancelled and travel insurance claim has been put in. Hopefully going to head up to the West Highlands for a few nights now. So there could be some nice landscapes (not that i've ever taken a landscape shot in my life, i'm a people person!)

West Highlands is just beautiful.....just point and shoot and you almost can't go wrong !

Long time since I've been there but do visit a Nephew who is a gamekeeper at Achfarry from time to time. His pictures taken up the hill are just fantastic.

I have just picked up a Nikon to m4/3 adapter from ebay and been having a play. The 50mm 1.4 is perfect on it although my manual focussing needs some work and I don’t think I’ll ever master it on a moving subject.

Any tips?

Hi Folks...

Just trying to clear things up regarding these adaptors... Am I right in thinking what ever lens brand I go for with their adaptor on the GF1 the focus still have to be dont ourselves rather than Auto?

Which is the best route to go down canon or nikon?

Eeny

meenie?

miney?

Why is it you walk back to the car, carrying tripod and camera and the chavs ask "are you a photographer?"
Replying with "no, im a downhill skier" seems to stump their tiny minds.
Same with the ones who ask, "what do you do with the pictures you've taken?"
The reply of "look at them, like most people do" seems to confuse them.

Can I ask, how did you get nice looking B/W film grain like that? Is it just noise with high contract black and white? Or do you use something like Nik Silver Efex?

Can I ask, how did you get nice looking B/W film grain like that? Is it just noise with high contract black and white? Or do you use something like Nik Silver Efex?

Partly the exposure. Some of them are around 10-15 seconds, so that introduces noise and then through the LR presets.
Seems they add the grain/noise to them as well.
Colour IR seem to be less noisy so i think its the LR presets that do.

Think I have a problem... Does the GF1 does not Autorotate the image? When I import the photos to aperture I have to rotate the images I have done in Portrait whilst with my Canon 40D it auto Rotate when in Aperture.... What the problem here guys

Think I have a problem... Does the GF1 does not Autorotate the image? When I import the photos to aperture I have to rotate the images I have done in Portrait whilst with my Canon 40D it auto Rotate when in Aperture.... What the problem here guys

Depends on the Lens fitted. The 20mm doesnt have the "auto-rotate" chip fitted so the camera doesnt know.
Its a pain but at least in LR i can get select all the pics and then rotate em.

Some more B&W IR for me(waits for everyone to tell me bugger off & post "proper pictures)

ND filters next i think and a new lightweight stable tripod.

I like that one. Where is it and what setting did you use?

Some more B&W IR for me(waits for everyone to tell me bugger off & post "proper pictures)

ND filters next i think and a new lightweight stable tripod.

I'd tell you to bugger off and post proper pictures if I didnt like that one! Actually, post what you want, I dont think we're too stuffy on this thread!

Allan

I dont care, I dont know what to do!

Ive built up a Canon system complete with L series lens, but I want (and lose sleep over) a panasonic GF1!

Why is it cooler that the Olympus Pen?

I like that one. Where is it and what setting did you use?

Cheers.
Taken at the Crook O'Lune, near Caton.
20mm lens with 720nm IR filter.

Exif info:
Exposure 5s
Aperture f/2.5
Focal Length 20 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Then messing about with CS3(to switch the Red/Blue channels over) and Lightroom to get the final result.

I dont care, I dont know what to do!

Ive built up a Canon system complete with L series lens, but I want (and lose sleep over) a panasonic GF1!

Why is it cooler that the Olympus Pen?

I sold my D300 and F2.8 lenses because they were getting ever more expensive and heavy to carry around. I use my GF1 all the time and dont miss the big lenses.

Why is it cooler than a Pen? I dont know, but it has a big following. I havent seen a "Picked up my new camera.... a Pen" thread yet. That must tell you something....

Depends on the Lens fitted. The 20mm doesnt have the "auto-rotate" chip fitted so the camera doesnt know.
Its a pain but at least in LR i can get select all the pics and then rotate em.

Well that a bummer aint it... then again it easy to rotate them I guess :)

If you do find it let us know :) I dont seem to like the 14 - 42 LENS I have got I seem to be on the Pancake most time but love another lens thou

I sold my D300 and F2.8 lenses because they were getting ever more expensive and heavy to carry around. I use my GF1 all the time and dont miss the big lenses.

Why is it cooler than a Pen? I dont know, but it has a big following. I havent seen a "Picked up my new camera.... a Pen" thread yet. That must tell you something....

Ive bought a pen ep-1 last week! cant see much difference between the two tbh, the jpegs from the pen seem better. The gf1 has a quicker AF. I think all it boils down to is which you prefer the look of.

Ive bought a pen ep-1 last week! cant see much difference between the two tbh, the jpegs from the pen seem better. The gf1 has a quicker AF. I think all it boils down to is which you prefer the look of.

The pen has a great film grain effect too that the GF1 doesn't
Allan

Oly 9-18 arrived today. God damn this thing is TINY!! Will try and test it out at the weekend!

What this? a Lens for the GF1?

Ok I am trying to find another lens that I can work with beside the 20mm Pancake and I dont like the 14 - 42mm that i go not too sure if the 14 - 45 is any better but I find the 20mm such a cracker of a lens...

What options do I have Nikon Adaptor and what Nikon Lens Or Canon Adaptor and What canon lens?

For Portraits and Landscape...

How come some of you get a pen and a gf1 would it not make sense to sell one or is it good to have them both???

What options do I have Nikon Adaptor and what Nikon Lens Or Canon Adaptor and What canon lens?

Take your pick :)

Your problem is going to be getting something wide from any of the larger systems due to the smaller MFT sensor size and the apparent doubling of focal lengths. ...and of course, the bulkier lens plus adapter combinations.

I use mainly Nikon kit so went for the Novoflex adapter as it has aperture control for the latest lenses, though there are cheaper alternatives if you don't need that.

The other adapter I have is a Voigtlander one for Leica-M lenses -- this is much smaller (and lighter) as the Leica-M bodies are much thiner. This can be combined with a Leica Thread Mount (LTM) adapter for old screw mount lenses.

Your problem is going to be getting something wide from any of the larger systems due to the smaller MFT sensor size and the apparent doubling of focal lengths. ...and of course, the bulkier lens plus adapter combinations.

I use mainly Nikon kit so went for the Novoflex adapter as it has aperture control for the latest lenses, though there are cheaper alternatives if you don't need that.

The other adapter I have is a Voigtlander one for Leica-M lenses -- this is much smaller (and lighter) as the Leica-M bodies are much thiner. This can be combined with a Leica Thread Mount (LTM) adapter for old screw mount lenses.
:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

This doing me head in :LOL: What the easy way for me to try other lens I dont want any bulkness or anything. Will panny not be doing anymore new lens for the GF1?

Point in a direction for a Adaptor and a Lens you think would suite me to try... Can either be Nikon or Canon which ever best on price

:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

This doing me head in :LOL: What the easy way for me to try other lens I dont want any bulkness or anything. Will panny not be doing anymore new lens for the GF1?

Point in a direction for a Adaptor and a Lens you think would suite me to try... Can either be Nikon or Canon which ever best on price

If you don't want any bulkiness your only option is a compact ;)

All the members of the MFT consortium (now including Voigtlander) are making more lenses, with some future releases having been advertised for some time.

Any adapter is going to add bulk as the lens must be the same distance from the sensor as in the Nikon, Canon, or whatever camera it was designed for. Leica mounts are probably one of the thinest, but you have a much greater choice of lenses from the big systems (Nikon, Canon, etc.)

Nobody can point you at a lens and say get that -- only you can decide what you need. If you don't have any other lenses for your GF1 or other cameras, have a play with the different MFT lenses in a shop and see which focal lengths suit.

If you want wide you're going to be limited to one of the lenses designed for MFT.

What this? a Lens for the GF1?

Ok I am trying to find another lens that I can work with beside the 20mm Pancake and I dont like the 14 - 42mm that i go not too sure if the 14 - 45 is any better but I find the 20mm such a cracker of a lens...

Yeah its a wide angle lens for the GF1 or any Micro 4/3 Camera.

Yeah its a wide angle lens for the GF1 or any Micro 4/3 Camera.

So this can fit right onto the GF1 then? If so that is something I am looking for too... Also what other lens you got ? is there a lens that is around 80mm or something for portraits that can fit right onto the GF1?

......... and I dont like the 14 - 42mm that i go not too sure if the 14 - 45 is any better ........

I havent used the 14-42, I have a 14-45 and as far as I can make out the 14-45 is a better lens, with metal mount and better optics. Its about price points for kits. The 14-42 is a cheaper lens to be used as a kit lens on the GF1. I think the G2 was supposed to be coupled with the 14-45 as a kit.
Allan

So this can fit right onto the GF1 then? If so that is something I am looking for too... Also what other lens you got ? is there a lens that is around 80mm or something for portraits that can fit right onto the GF1?

Yep, straight onto the GF1. My only other lens is the 20mm Pancake. I doubt Ill be buying any more either unless a nice wide prime becomes available.

Yep, straight onto the GF1. My only other lens is the 20mm Pancake. I doubt Ill be buying any more either unless a nice wide prime becomes available.

Do u know of a lens better than 14-42 for portrait that can go on gf1?

Erm,

where did you buy the novoflex adapter? I'm seeing it for £155 at speedgraphic.co.uk.

Somethings not right. I've picked up a cheaper one off the bay for £28 quid as I dont have G lenses

sid

I tried out RAW today on my GF1. I must say that there is not much difference between RAW and jpg as the jpg's are excellent on this camera. Silky Pix Raw converter which comes with the camera is a total pain to use, and so I preferred to use Adobe Camera Raw.

I have CS3 and LR 1 neither of which will work with Panasonic RAW files. I downloaded DNG converter 5.6 and converted my RAW files using this, but they would not open in CS3. I have now solved the problem however.

If on opening and loading the RAW file into DNG Converter 5.6 you go to Preferences, Change Preference and chose make compatible with 4.6 and later, then save as a DNG file, it will then open in CS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back