Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
:muted:
I would read the manual if I were you.... I remember just after I bought the GF1 on here I sent Neenee a pm asking something about the pressing of the rear wheel to change from aperture setting to shutter setting etc. and he didnt even know you could press it!! :D

WOOOOO 11,000th post!!

I'd better stop joking too :muted::LOL:

Both my manuals sit on a small table beside my arm chair and when it is bad on TV I have some reading material....plus I always know where the manuals are too.

Better not joke about 11000 posts !

I would read the manual if I were you.... I remember just after I bought the GF1 on here I sent Neenee a pm asking something about the pressing of the rear wheel to change from aperture setting to shutter setting etc. and he didnt even know you could press it!! :D

WOOOOO 11,000th post!!

You've been busy there Janice. Well done on your 11,000th anniversary.:clap:Have you managed to find a nice easy to carry case for your GF1?

Great, I'll go and find my list of things I didn't understand and ask you.....:D

I totally agree, I used to write technical manuals for a living but I barely understood a word of the GF1 instructions.

After reading scientific abstracts that manuals a breeze. Though I confess to having an head start from using my TZ10 with a very similar menu.

:muted:

I'd better stop joking too :muted::LOL:

Both my manuals sit on a small table beside my arm chair and when it is bad on TV I have some reading material....plus I always know where the manuals are too.

Better not joke about 11000 posts !

You must be doing a lot of reading of that manual then as there's nothing worth watching on the tele.:nono:

You've been busy there Janice. Well done on your 11,000th anniversary.:clap:Have you managed to find a nice easy to carry case for your GF1?

im afraid im hopeless with camera cases. I always want one just for the camera itself, another for the camera with lenses and flash for a day out.

I use this for everyday walking but obviously it doesnt hold cards etc. Mostly have it with just the bottom bit as that protects sides edges and bottom ;)

i got this but mine was £18 obviously not real leather but looks like it. only the 20mm lens can be used though when the front is on.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-Lum...K_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_BagsCases_JN

Took a few pics today though still in idiot mode - manual still to be absorbed.
Getting unpacked.

4935856886_c02f6cca9c_z_d.jpg

Wisemans Bridge Beach

4935856652_dfb5892ed2_z_d.jpg

Wisemans Rocks

4935266365_b1279a3bff_z_d.jpg

That quince is lovely. Well, not the quince, but the photo!! ;)

Any suggestions for best case to hold EITHER 14-42 lens or 20 pancake lens. I will only be carrying one with me attached to camera in this bag. I already have a bag that will carry both. Criteria - smallest, lightest, least bulk, not too expensive, and shoulder type bag.

I like the Crumpler cases, I have a Muffin Top 2500 which will hold my GF1 with 14-45 ( or 14-42 as I think they come with now) and probably a 20mm too.
And also a Jimmy Bo 300 which will hold the GF1 with 14-45 and a very flat sandwich and a couple of spare SD cards. You might even get the pancake lens in there too, but I dont have one to try :crying:

They look pretty cool too, not like most camera bags
Allan

Saundersfoot a nice area. Can't wait to see what else you post from that area.

I like the Crumpler cases, I have a Muffin Top 2500 which will hold my GF1 with 14-45 ( or 14-42 as I think they come with now) and probably a 20mm too.
And also a Jimmy Bo 300 which will hold the GF1 with 14-45 and a very flat sandwich and a couple of spare SD cards. You might even get the pancake lens in there too, but I dont have one to try :crying:

They look pretty cool too, not like most camera bags
Allan

Thank you Allan I will have a look at those when I get chance.

Hmm I would post some pics but cant work out the new flickr!

Try this. Go to your photo on Flickr.. click it then click again and it will open up on a black background. top right corner click on 'all sizes' then choose medium 640. when that photo opens, right click it and choose copy image address.

hope that helps/works!!

From your image page click Share this > Grab the HTML/BBCode > Change to Medium 640 and select BBCode and then copy and paste the code into your post.

Took a few pics today though still in idiot mode - manual still to be absorbed.
Getting unpacked.

4935856886_c02f6cca9c_z_d.jpg

Wisemans Bridge Beach

4935856652_dfb5892ed2_z_d.jpg

Wisemans Rocks

4935266365_b1279a3bff_z_d.jpg

I'm still mostly in "Idiot" mode, but I put that down to old age !

When I think of all the courses I did when I was younger, and it is all being forgotten now.......I but I still enjoy taking pictures(y)

I'm still mostly in "Idiot" mode, but I put that down to old age !

When I think of all the courses I did when I was younger, and it is all being forgotten now.......I but I still enjoy taking pictures(y)

Horrid weather here today so now time to get customising that GF1. So many different settings I can set up - Oh I just love gadgets.:love::love::love:

Got mine on Monday with the 20mm Lens. Awesome piece of kit. I never had so much fun with a camera.

The 30d and lenses are staying in blighty and this is going to Nepal/Everest Base Camp with me. Bought the Olympus Micro 4/3 9-18 to go too (not shipped yet). I have 72Gb of memory cards :LOL:

Couple of quickies:

log.jpg

mrspazzat.jpg

butterfly1.jpg

Fun fun fun :D

Last edited:
Got mine on Monday with the 20mm Lens. Awesome piece of kit. I never had so much fun with a camera.

The 30d and lenses are staying in blighty and this is going to Nepal/Everest Base Camp with me. Bought the Olympus Micro 4/3 9-18 to go too (not shipped yet). I have 72Gb of memory cards :LOL:

Couple of quickies:

log.jpg

mrspazzat.jpg

butterfly1.jpg

Fun fun fun :D

Enjoy base camp. It'll be a lot easier with the GF1 than toting the 30D. How far up are you going?

Well I've been studying the manual today, managed to completely mess my settings up so I didn't know where I was, and had to do a reset. Doing another practice set up now.
I managed to find "The Extra Optical Zoom" EZ and set this to on. I can figure how this works with a telephoto lens, but then on P51 of manual it says "20mm interchangeable lens does not support the zoom ring feature". OK there is no zoom ring on a prime, but in the chart below it says " when 20mm lens is used magnification is 2X". Am I going mad or what?:bang::thinking:

Highest point will be climbing Kalar Pattar at 5643 Metres. I'm fairly sure it is going to hurt in ways previously unimagined :LOL:

Watch out for altitude sickness. You need to be at altitude for at least 5 days for the extra red blood cells to form, so that you can transport more Oxygen. Take care.

This thread is responsible for me buying a EP-1 and 14-42, plus 20mm pancake.

i know its not a GF1 but the fun I am having is amazing!!!

Lovely pics Rich - I look forward to the pics from Nepal.

I've been up in Scotland again for a last minute break. Visited the Edinburgh Fringe Festival briefly with my trusty GF1. Lots of people walking around with big cameras and lenses but I felt quite inconspicuous. :)

4938777682_eb354d6f92_b.jpg

P1190545 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

P1190536 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Some more on my flickr

Last edited:
WOK there is no zoom ring on a prime, but in the chart below it says " when 20mm lens is used magnification is 2X". Am I going mad or what?:bang::thinking:

I think this might to be to do with the 2x crop sensor on the camera. In theory the 20mm is 40mm on the GF1.

Cracking pics Grum, 2nd is really good.

Graham,
Can you empty your PM box please..?

Mark

I think this might to be to do with the 2x crop sensor on the camera. In theory the 20mm is 40mm on the GF1.

Cracking pics Grum, 2nd is really good.

At last I've figured it out. If you set EX OPT ZOOM to ON in the REC mode menu, and then choose an aspect ratio smaller than L when you press the shutter button you will get a 2x zoom factor with no detioration in picture quality. For example, Set EX OPT ZOOM to on in REC menu, then go to quick menu, scroll along to ASPECT RATIO, then choose MEz, or SEz. In effect then your 20mm pancake lens becomes a 40mm pancake lens with 80mm equivalent. Seems quite useful to me.
The 14-42 lens will then give film equivalent of 56-168.

There is also an option for greater magnification (see Page 51 of manual) but this includes digital magnification which degrades the picture so in my opinion not much use.

I hope that this explanation is not harder to understand than the manual.

From what I gather, Barbara, it wont work if you are using RAW!

And change your camera to GF1 on your profile... and be proud!!!

Last edited:
Fantastic images Graham.

Got one of the small ball heads to for the gorilla pod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back