Recommend me a movie?

Am I the only one who loves a film that doesn't end happily? I seem to have got to the stage where I think 'well it's hollywood, so the guy's in a bit of pickle but I know he'll be ok' and it takes the fun out of it. Now I like the occasional slap across the face with a bad (but good ha!) ending. Trouble is, I can't exactly google 'films in which the goodie dies' because that spoils the ending too :LOL:

Am I the only one who loves a film that doesn't end happily? I seem to have got to the stage where I think 'well it's hollywood, so the guy's in a bit of pickle but I know he'll be ok' and it takes the fun out of it. Now I like the occasional slap across the face with a bad (but good ha!) ending. Trouble is, I can't exactly google 'films in which the goodie dies' because that spoils the ending too :LOL:

Have you ever seen La Haine? Now that doesn't end well at all....

TriggerHappy said:

I agree!

If you can stand indian films, then Devdas with english subs is pretty good

A few years old now, but I always enjoy watching the remake of The Thomas Crowne Affair, thats my second recommendation.

Original's better :D

Best film I've seen in a long while is "drive" , admittedly there's a couple of car chases and the central protagonist is a getaway driver, but it's far more than a car chase movie, the storyline is excellent as are the characters, well worth a look in my opinion

Life is beautiful (Italian film) - warning you may cry.
Run Lola Run (German)
Das Experiment (German) - based on true events. Not a happy film but very interesting, story use to be covered by psychology students.
French films generally rock!

You can't beat the Goonies and Ghostbusters though!

Original's better :D

Often is that the original is superior to a remake, but for me I preferred this.

Maybe its Rene Russo? :naughty:

I will also admit its one of the few films that I read through the credits to pick out a bit of music from the film to find out what it was and who it was by (Sinnerman, Nina Simone)

Another for the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Dune

Alien

The Fog also Original version

I enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as well, I've got the Swedish trilogy on DVD and the voices have been dubbed into English, which saves a lot of reading, if it detracts from the Swedishness a bit. Some violence but a fairly minor aspect to it. I've not watched parts II or III yet, but part 1 stands on its own, so worth trying.

howard the duck

all the critics hated it

I enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as well, I've got the Swedish trilogy on DVD and the voices have been dubbed into English, which saves a lot of reading, if it detracts from the Swedishness a bit. Some violence but a fairly minor aspect to it. I've not watched parts II or III yet, but part 1 stands on its own, so worth trying.

Never ever EVER watched a foreign film dubbed. Instant ruination.

Pan's Labyrinth?
Tyrannosaur
The Devil's Backbone
Dead man's shoe's a very touching film
Midnight express

Never ever EVER watched a foreign film dubbed. Instant ruination.

Again agree, and I was somewhat surprised by it being dubbed. Didn't buy it because it was in English and I was assuming it would be subtitled.

It was voiced by English speaking Scandinavians so there was an element of Swedish. I watched the first one on a tablet on a 7hr ferry crossing, so was much more convenient.

Sometimes you're spending a lot of time reading the subtitles and miss elements of the story or the cinematography. If its late at night it can be quite tiring too.

Lynton....good boy.

Have you seen windtalkers?

The first 20 mins is people getting blown up by mines and shots, then something, then an hour of people getting splattered in every which way possible.... (more or less)!

Sometimes you're spending a lot of time reading the subtitles and miss elements of the story or the cinematography.

I've always thought the same.

Subtitles are a bit stupid for people without hearing problems IMO. Reading a film seems far worse than dubbed dialogue.....books are for reading, not films.

donutagain said:
howard the duck

all the critics hated it

Great film, ducky :D

The Lady Killers. Just don't mention the Hollywood remake!
Ferris bueller's day off.
Amelie. Subtitles only.

Amelie. Subtitles only.

In a similar vein, Zazie dans le metro. The subtitle transaltions are very funny in places, at least the version BBC2 showed about 20 years ago when they ran a season of Nouvelle Vague films (can't imagine them doing that now :( )

Three colours : Blue
Krótki film o milosci ("A short film about love")
Jean de Florette & Manon des sources (these are two halves of one story, so counting them as one)

I was just thinking of suggesting Jean de Florette & Manon des Sources. Wonderful films

Also:
I've Loved You So Long. Very moving film
And as above Amelie

Subtitles don't ruin films!! It only takes a fraction of a second to look at them and scan them! Dubbed films are horrible. Fifty percent of a performance is the voice. Why take it away for the sake of convenience/laziness?!

Subtitles don't ruin films!! It only takes a fraction of a second to look at them and scan them! Dubbed films are horrible. Fifty percent of a performance is the voice. Why take it away for the sake of convenience/laziness?!

We had a thread discussing this quite recently but yes, I whole heartedly agree. It's so easy to tell from the voice that it's done in a studio afterwards. It's so much better to hear it as performed and the subtitles really do only take a fraction of a second.

Once again, I'd recommend Downfall. Most people only seem to know it from the much parodied section on Youtube but the film itself is very powerful.

fabs said:
We had a thread discussing this quite recently but yes, I whole heartedly agree. It's so easy to tell from the voice that it's done in a studio afterwards. It's so much better to hear it as performed and the subtitles really do only take a fraction of a second.

Once again, I'd recommend Downfall. Most people only seem to know it from the much parodied section on Youtube but the film itself is very powerful.

Now that is a really good film!

1. A Matter of Life and Death (or anything else by Powell and Pressburger)

2. Diva (visual masterpiece by Jean-Jaques Beineix)

3. A Bout de Souffle (must-see Godard)

Few been mentioned already, but anything to do with Shane meadows or paddy considine....

A room for romeo brass
Dead mans shoes
Tyrannosaur

Amnd not a movie, but all the This Is England series are well worth a watch too.

All this movie talk.....We sat and watched Ice Cold in Alex again last night. Brilliant.
I love John Mills :love:

Back