Recommend me a movie?

Another few I have thought off. I do have a weird selection of likes !

Crash
13th warrior
Last man standing
for a old film, Blythe Spirit
Pitch black

Another few I have thought off. I do have a weird selection of likes !

Crash
13th warrior
Last man standing
for a old film, Blythe Spirit
Pitch black

Pitch Black should really be such a "pithy" movie, but it's really not. Hugely enjoyable; and there are a couple of scenes that are properly scary!

fabs said:
We had a thread discussing this quite recently but yes, I whole heartedly agree. It's so easy to tell from the voice that it's done in a studio afterwards. It's so much better to hear it as performed and the subtitles really do only take a fraction of a second.

Once again, I'd recommend Downfall. Most people only seem to know it from the much parodied section on Youtube but the film itself is very powerful.

There is a version of Downfall knocking around that has been dubbed. Oh my, it's awful.

Musicman said:
1. A Matter of Life and Death (or anything else by Powell and Pressburger)

2. Diva (visual masterpiece by Jean-Jaques Beineix)

3. A Bout de Souffle (must-see Godard)

A Matter of Life and Death is one of the most beautiful films ever made. Three great choices there.

As far as I can see pretty much everything is on Lovefilm including just released films :shrug:

Apologies...I should have mentioned I was referring to "Lovefilm Instant", which should be renamed "Lovefilm Ancient".

Their streaming service is terrible.

2. Diva (visual masterpiece by Jean-Jaques Beineix)

Adore that, that was another shown on BBC2, this time as part of a "Moviedrome" season.

BBC2 was a much better channel once upon a time :(

antihero said:
Pretty much the same era as most of the movies on LoveFilm etc :bonk:

Love Will Hay though, "Oh, Mr.Porter" being my fave

My dad loves will hay. I'm more of an Alastair sim fan. Can't beat cross dressing on black and white films :)

Any of the following you may like:

The city of lost children.
Dogma
Waking ned
La cage aux folles ( original French one not American remake )
American beauty
The company of wolves.
A room for Romeo brass
Mic macs

Anything with paddy considine in it.

The biopic of that dj fella played by Rhys ifans. Dark haired chap. Can't remember the name of the film!

onomatopoeia said:
In a similar vein, Zazie dans le metro. The subtitle transaltions are very funny in places, at least the version BBC2 showed about 20 years ago when they ran a season of Nouvelle Vague films (can't imagine them doing that now :( )

I remember that season well. Rather perturbed its 20 years ago.

Another vote for zazie.

Jacques Tati too. Don't really need subtitles as its mostly non spoken humour.

I remember that season well. Rather perturbed its 20 years ago.

Think it must be, I moved out for uni in '87, so it would be after that (foreign films were not a TV staple at my parents' ), but remembering where I was living at different times, I find it hard to imagine it was after 1994 either. Which is hopelessly imprecise :LOL:

Agree about The company of wolves, great film.

Well I have many great films in my collection but if you want the ultimate thriller with no nudity, car chases or special effects then Double Indemnity is absolutely superb.

You can read a fuller review here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...iewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Next film is really a series and already mentioned, Smiley's People with Alec Guinness - absolutely brilliant.

The third one is another Le Carre film - really a series - A Perfect Spy - very slow and cerebral but really the definitive study in the making of a traitor with Peter Egan as the central character.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a pedant, but "The Omega Man" wasn't the first adaptation of the book.....good film though!!

Haven't seen 'Last Man On Earth'..... Vincent Price isn't it? I was suprised to read that 'I am Legend' was written in the early 50s. You learn something new every day :)

Especially the tennis match scene (y)

That part is brilliant.

So many memorable parts that make the film whole - the squeeky door in the restaraunt; the scene with the trains; the nougat machine on the beach; the boy's head popping up through the steering wheel.

Have you seen 'Mon Uncle' and 'Jour de Fete'? Great films. Haven't seen his later work like 'Playtime'...

That part is brilliant.

So many memorable parts that make the film whole - the squeeky door in the restaraunt; the scene with the trains; the nougat machine on the beach; the boy's head popping up through the steering wheel.

Have you seen 'Mon Uncle' and 'Jour de Fete'? Great films. Haven't seen his later work like 'Playtime'...

The squeaky door is another favourite! And when he's painting and his paint tin keeps floating around.

Got my mum the boxset of Tati films last year. I intend borrowing the rest as Hulot's holiday is the only one I've seen.

Watched Ender's Game today, it's ok, certainly much less of a waste of money than some recent efforts I've seen.

Harry hill the movie is a daft way to spend 90 minutes. Very silly but enjoyable.

Life is beautiful (Italian film) - warning you may cry.
Run Lola Run (German)
Das Experiment (German) - based on true events. Not a happy film but very interesting, story use to be covered by psychology students.
French films generally rock!

A great trio of films right there! ^^

King of Kong is an excellent film / documentary, as is man on wire.

Not sure if cidade de deus (city of god) has been mentioned, but if it hasn't - it should be, especially as one of the main characters is a photographer! Also the usual suspects, but that's such a well known good film you probably know about it or have seen it.

Re tinker tailor, I much prefer the 6 part series. Builds the suspense much better than the film IMHO.

Cowboy Beebop: the movie.... insanely awesome in the US dub.

Generally though, I'd tend to agree :)
now you're talking also the series is even better I'm just watching it again for at least the third time:)
Also there's a whole world of live action Korean films like old boy as well as Hong Kong cop thrillers like infernal affairs

What no Kurosawa! heres a few then
Yojimbo, Stray Dog & of course seven samurai

Keeping with the japanese thread Departures, really did make me cry and a film hasn't done that since The Champ, yeah sad I know

If you like east asian cinema then Park-Chan Wook's vengeance trilogy is excellent. I know everyone goes on about Oldboy & it is excellent but all three are top stand alone films, although violent if you watch them you may change your opinion of violent movies.

The french film The Intouchables is also an excellent film and based on a true story

The italian classic cinema paridiso one of my all time favourites.

If you not into subtitles then theres always the Ghostbusters, either one really, top notch hollywood movie making

Last edited:
I know the last posting on this thread is over two old but watched His Girl Friday (Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell) last night and I'd recommend it. Not the greatest plot but excellent performances, good, very fast dialogue and a couple of in jokes.

Dave

Watched room the other week. Best film I've seen in a long time.

The Parallax View
All The President's Men
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
The Taking of Pelham 123 (original Walter Matthau/Robert Shaw version)
Soylent Green
The Right Stuff

yep, that film has got legs :exit:

Well done! I doff my cap sir.

Ooops my 3?

China Syndrome
Shawshank Redemption
Behind Enemy Lines - surround sound a must for this one

I could mention so many more, I have recently watched these and they are great movies.

Rear Window - original only
Dial M for Murder - original version with Ray Milland / Grace Kelly, although A Perfect Murder is not bad as a sort of remake, well cast imho.
Flight Of The Phoenix - original version, new one is dire

Last edited:
So many, but a few that spring to mind if you haven't seen them
The deer hunter
Crimson Tide
The illusionist
Family man

Depends what you like in a film though.

Back