Simon's 52 in 2021

Week 35 - Snapper's Choice

This is a shot of my son diving into the water at Solva harbour in Pembrokeshire on an evening high tide. I shot a short series in burst mode (the others are on Flickr) but this is the stand out for me because of the line - he's horizontal, I've managed to get it (mostly) in focus and the height he's at all make for a good shot (I think anyway).
That's my niece's husband looking on from afar!

For those worried about diving into water, it was probably 12-15 feet deep at this point with no underwater obstructions (we know this spot very well), and he was well away from the side and the ropes!

IMG_2253 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well caught!

Technique - Free lensing

Had to Google this technique. As per some others posting in the chat, was a little (OK very) worried about shooting with the lens off the camera body, not just because of risk of dust etc, but also my propensity for dropping things, so have taken the safer option of shooting through a magnifying glass as my "free lens".

Hope these are in the spirit of the theme, certainly good fun trying and the best of a lot that got chucked! Tricky choosing the main one for the theme - I like the dahlia/bee shot, but I've gone for the hollyhock as I prefer the symmetry.

Rudbeckia

Freelensing 1 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Sweet Pea

Freelensing 4 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Bee on dahlia

Freelensing 2 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Hollyhock

Freelensing 3 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Good stuff and good experimenting! The bee shot wins it foir me :)

I really like this effect. I'm equally nervous about lens detachment so might have to give this a go myself!

These work really well Simon. Think I also prefer the bee shot, mainly because you can see the whole magnifying glass in the frame.

Wow they are great shots, it would have to be the Rudbeckia for me. It looks like a really large drop of water.

Good stuff and good experimenting! The bee shot wins it foir me :)

I really like this effect. I'm equally nervous about lens detachment so might have to give this a go myself!

These work really well Simon. Think I also prefer the bee shot, mainly because you can see the whole magnifying glass in the frame.

Wow they are great shots, it would have to be the Rudbeckia for me. It looks like a really large drop of water.

Thanks folks - really appreciate your comments!

What theme are these for?
As you're not missing anything other than "Un-natural" and these don't seem to fit that theme.
They're for the free lensing technique....

Oh. okay. The intention is that you utilize the technique for one or more of the themes.
Snappers choice could have been the one to use for a free shot, but you've already used that for the diving shot.
Nice use of the magnifying glass.
Ah okay….. thanks
I’ll know next time!

Week 36 - Unnatural

Tricky this week as I’m away and trying to do stuff entirely on an iPad.

These huge navigation beacons stand guard to the entrance to Milford Haven waterway guiding the massive oil tankers and other craft into this deep, safe harbour.

Unnatural 1 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Unnatural 2 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Modern day lighthouses I guess. just using a wavelength that we can't see...
I think I may prefer #2, because it has 3 objects, but then #1 has slightly better lighting.
Yes, 2 would have been the better and my preferred shot, but I couldn’t get in front to get the sun in the right place without falling off a cliff!

still got lighthouses mind…

St Anne’s Head Lighthouse, Milford Haven by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: LC2
I prefer number 2 as well as there is more interest with the 3, even though the one on the left looks a bit squint! or is it my eyes?

I prefer number 2 as well as there is more interest with the 3, even though the one on the left looks a bit squint! or is it my eyes?
No, it must be a trick of the shot somehow. They were absolutely vertical

Week 37 - Natural

As I was in Pembrokeshire this week (see week 36 - Unnatural, I thought I'd stick with shots - this for this theme, some landscape shots of the stunning Pembrokeshire coast in fabulous early autumn sunshine (it was actually sunnier, and warmer than it was when we were in Pembrokeshire in August!)

1 Barafundle Bay
Barafundle bay by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

2 Barafundle Bay looking the other way
Barafundle bay by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

3 Watwick Bay on St Anne's Head near Milford Haven
Watwick Bay by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

4) Cliffs and caves near Stackpole Head
Near Stackpole Head by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

5) Broadhaven South and Church Rock
Church Rock & Broadhaven South by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yes, 2 would have been the better and my preferred shot, but I couldn’t get in front to get the sun in the right place without falling off a cliff!

No commitment. ;)

I think I prefer your shot 2 of Barafundle Bay - though I'd have been tempted to crop it into an extreme landscape.

Attachments

• 51487290265_6fb16bee92_o.jpg
    51487290265_6fb16bee92_o.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
No commitment. ;)

I think I prefer your shot 2 of Barafundle Bay - though I'd have been tempted to crop it into an extreme landscape.
Thanks! I was 50/50 with shots 1 & 2. To be honest I went with 1 because the light was better, although I to prefer 2, but as I was using a Panasonic FZ330 with a small sensor, a hard crop of 2 might have impacted IQ more, having already lifted the shadows a little. But good point nevertheless.

Natural
I reckon you've pick the right shot for the main thread. The boat is in the right place in the frame and gives a good sense of scale.

Yep - boat pic for me too. Looks like a lovely area!

Natural - I like No. 1 best - the colours and light are lovely, and the boat is a good focal point. I love Pembrokeshire.

Unnatural - I like the first shot because of the light. My eye is drawn to the top of the beacon first. You've also got the leading line along the edge of the hedge.

Natural - I like No. 1 best - the colours and light are lovely, and the boat is a good focal point. I love Pembrokeshire.

Unnatural - I like the first shot because of the light. My eye is drawn to the top of the beacon first. You've also got the leading line along the edge of the hedge.
Thanks! You can't beat the Pembs coast :)

I think the first shot works best for me. The composition works well and the light on the cliffs is really nice.

Conkered that theme for sure :D

Back