The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Nice shot, I was booked into that Hotel last week/weekend but had to cancel as I had a nasty fall on the Monday and ended up in hospital. Gutted :(
Sorry to hear that Jase. I hope you're up and about soon and manage to re-book.

@woof woof I'm sure Jase will be along with his exact one but this is the road it'll be on https://goo.gl/maps/QUNpMGFQMbn3bqfz6 Appletrees on that road had a beautiful dog which kept poking its tennis ball through the railings for me to throw for it so would get my vote!

Sorry to hear that Jase. I hope you're up and about soon and manage to re-book.

@woof woof I'm sure Jase will be along with his exact one but this is the road it'll be on https://goo.gl/maps/QUNpMGFQMbn3bqfz6 Appletrees on that road had a beautiful dog which kept poking its tennis ball through the railings for me to throw for it so would get my vote!

Thanks, I'll rebook for September if I'm recovered by then. Pretty gutted was looking forward to it and the weather was good for a change.

What's the name of that hotel pls, looks gorgeous.

The Hotel I was booked into was the Crow Park Hotel (the one with the green lettering on). For location you can't go wrong with that or the ones either side, choose a lake view and the room will look over the golf course towards lake. It's only a few minutes walk to the shops/restaurants too.

Will probably be about £4k the way things are going with inflation and the way camera manufacturers like to stiff their loyal customers who want to "upgrade".

As a happy amateur who hardly has time for photography anyway the thought of paying even £2k for a camera and that's before we get into lenses may push me out of the Sony universe at some point.

On a whim I bought a Panasonic G100 for what I thought was a bargain price and I've been surprised by the image quality and it is possibly a touch better than the GX9 I also have which like the G100 has a 20mp sensor, although they may be different. Cameras like these and a good lens will be a tenth of the cost of this new Sony. I know they're not the same things but I'd probably have just as much fun and if I could stop pixel peeping I'd probably be perfectly happy.

Anyone using the Sigma 35 f/1.2 ? I had one previously and sent it back due to flickering in certain video modes which has apparently now been fixed in an update. Had contemplated swapping out my 35GM for another one of them.. I recall it being amazing but stupidly large lol

Amazon prime day has good prices on some Sony lenses, eg 35mm 1.8 @ £399 & 85mm 1.8 @ £379
Typical, paid £480 for my 35mm not so long back :rolleyes:

Anyone using the Sigma 35 f/1.2 ? I had one previously and sent it back due to flickering in certain video modes which has apparently now been fixed in an update. Had contemplated swapping out my 35GM for another one of them.. I recall it being amazing but stupidly large lol
It is still stupidly large. As far as I know lenses don't decrease in size over time, only the price ;)

Lol I’m trying to convince myself it’s not as bad as I remember
It is, I lusted after one for ages until I went to a shop and held it, made me feel like John Bercow standing next to Sally :ROFLMAO:

It is, I lusted after one for ages until I went to a shop and held it, made me feel like John Bercow standing next to Sally :ROFLMAO:

The 35GM breaths so badly to the point at close range or even semi close range it’s not a 35mm. Not sure I’ll get the 1.2 again though lol

The 35GM breaths so badly to the point at close range or even semi close range it’s not a 35mm. Not sure I’ll get the 1.2 again though lol
Hasn't the A7 IV got a breathing compensation feature now ? Might be worth investigating before selling it?

It's ok maybe they are selling all the 'returned' decentered ones :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Nah, Sony ones aren't decentered. Spoke to amazon to see if they'd refund the difference from what I paid, they said they can't but I can return the old one and re-order at the new price so that's what I've done. Seems mad that they advise that as they'll not be able to sell the returned one as new o_O

I'm not sure if serial numbers are logged to the orders so I could just return the new one.

Last edited:
It’s just a crop in to the point it’s not visible so it’s even less of a 35mm when that’s enabled lol
Yep, the breathing is somewhat annoying.
The 35mm f1.8 has almost no breathing.
35GM Optically very nice lens though.

Last edited:
Nah, Sony ones aren't decentered. Spoke to amazon to see if they'd refund the difference from what I paid, they said they can't but I can return the old one and re-order at the new price so that's what I've done. Seems mad that they advise that as they'll not be able to sell the returned one as new o_O
Yeah they have stopped refunding the difference for some reason. They used to in past because I have done it a few times.

Someone in Japan has spent years perfecting that revolutionary feature lol

Lol it’s one of the ways they’re able to get the lenses so small - by allowing them to focus breath so massively and allow for optical corrections to be done in post.

Some lenses I prefer the corrections to be switched off, the Sigma 85DN is so much nicer with the pincushion left on lol

But yeah, digital crop so you don’t actually see the breathing is all they’re doing

Yeah they have stopped refunding the difference for some reason. They used to in past because I have done it a few times.
Just edited my post, I'm not sure if the serial numbers are logged to an order as I could just return the new one as I'm happy with the performance of the old one?

Just edited my post, I'm not sure if the serial numbers are logged to an order as I could just return the new one as I'm happy with the performance of the old one?
They are at least they were for echo dots.

We ordered one and a day later they were on buy one get one free. I called them and asked them send me another for free and they just told me to return the old one and order again

I ordered again and since I had already setup the first echo dot I got I just returned one of the new ones. After like 2-3 months they started chasing claiming I hadn't returned it and they refunded the other order lol.

So yeah they did track the serial number but not sure if they do it for everything.

We ordered one and a day later they were on buy one get one free. I called them and asked them send me another for free and they just told me to return the old one and order again

I ordered again and since I had already setup the first echo dot I got I just returned one of the new ones. After like 2-3 months they started chasing claiming I hadn't returned it and they refunded the other order lol.

So yeah they did track the serial number but not sure if they do it for everything.
Cool, thanks.

I'm not sure if serial numbers are logged to the orders so I could just return the new one.

Golly that's good of them.

I wonder what'll happen to the returned one? This being Amazon probably landfill somewhere but hopefully not.

Golly that's good of them.

I wonder what'll happen to the returned one? This being Amazon probably landfill somewhere but hopefully not.
A number of stores price promise tbh so if the price comes down within a certain period they’ll honour the difference. The old one will be sold as used as nandbytes says, this is why it’s bonkers they’ve offered this option rather than just refunding the difference.

Amazon record the serial number of all the echo kit, if you look at your Amazon orders it shows the serial number of the echo kit you have. Don’t think they record the serial number of lenses, well they don’t show the serial number under your orders.

Love the mono treatment, and also how all the fascinating reflections don’t affect the main subject

Thank you kindly Stephen, appreciate your reply.

"The reflections are as near as you'll ever get to a selfie of me" :)

Very nicely taken image George, love your hat in the reflection.

Thank you kindly Dave, appreciate your reply.

"I'm never seen in public without a hat of some sort" :)

Last edited:
24-70mm f4 ZA on prime @ £469 today

The newly sent Sony 35mm f1.8 has decentering issues :headbang:

I got a message to say that my camera bag made from old leather jackets is ready so I should be picking it up on Friday.

The guy promised to send me progress pictures but says that for some reason he can't send them, maybe his mobile is as old and creaking as mine. It'll be interesting to see what he's done as he makes a lot of hats and Goth like flying helmets and the like so I'm preparing myself to see something a bit different :D Oh well :D

I'll post some pictures later.

He's a bit of a character and he says there's no fixed price and customers just pay what they think stuff is worth which I'm struggling with as I'm naturally "careful" and I don't want to insult him :D

I would post a :ROFLMAO: especially after I was tld the Sony doesn't have these issues, but thats really bad luck, can't you just send the bad one back and keep the good one.
I could, but when I checked the box by the bar code it does have the serial number on so when they scan it it might come up as the wrong one :thinking: I'd rather just pay the extra and have a lens that I'm happy with, it's annoying but I can console myself with the fact I got it £50 cheaper in the first place.

Back