The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thanks Alan, that one was with the FE 28-60mm F4-5.6. Had that the A7 and the Tokina 17mm in a very small bag

I was just wondering how you're coping with the 19mm's distortion?

It's not visible in all pictures though.

Last edited:
I was just wondering how you're coping with the 19mm's distortion?

It's not visible in all pictures though.

I've only had the 19mm out on the one day last week so can't really say yet. I'm still having difficulty walking so really not getting out far or too often.

Hmmmm, a compact and very cheap manual 50mm f2...

I could be tempted but I'll wait for some reviews as although it's very cheap no one wants to throw money away if it's rubbish.

Ah, there are reviews...

Taking a quick look at that review I see two issues, rounded aperture blades which will give round bokeh balls but will be pretty rubbish for sun stars so I suppose it's a matter of preference and it seems to flare like a mad thing.

Last edited:
The above review mentions a 50mm f0.95 so I looked it up...

That looks ok apart from yet again poor resistance to flare.

Some of the sample pictures look nice though.

Can't wait to see it.
You pleased with it?

Yes. The old leather jackets were old so the bag doesn't look new but all the leather has been laminated and there's a mixture of hand and machine stitching and he's given a quilted look to the inside which is lined with the airplane lining of one of the jackets. That jacket didn't have a label in it but the other did and he's included the label in the bag. All the fittings are brass. The strap is a work of art as he's turned it inside out to hide the stitching. Generally his work is good and the pockets are really well done.

I showed him my Billingham Hadley Pro Small and gave him an insert for that bag I bought from Billingham so it's the size of that bag.

He's a bit of a character and said I should just pay what I thought the bag was worth but he did say he'd spent £40 on the brass fixings so I gave him that first and then started putting down £20's. He protested and said £200 was too much so we settled on £150 and I gave him an extra £20 for a take away tonight :D So all in all it cost me £150 + £40 + the Billy bag insert which was £45 so that's a grand total of £235 (not counting the £20 for the take away) which is only a bit more than the Billy cost which I'm happy with.

He then showed my a trilby he's making for a horse owner. I was impressed with the lining with horses on it :D

I've been looking for someone to make a bag for a long time so I'm happy to have found him. This is his first camera bag. He used to make shoes but recently sold all his shoe related gear and now makes wallets, hats, Goth type flying helmet thingies etc but also recently upholstered a boat.

Pictures will follow :D

Yes. The old leather jackets were old so the bag doesn't look new but all the leather has been laminated and there's a mixture of hand and machine stitching and he's given a quilted look to the inside which is lined with the airplane lining of one of the jackets. That jacket didn't have a label in it but the other did and he's included the label in the bag. All the fittings are brass. The strap is a work of art as he's turned it inside out to hide the stitching. Generally his work is good and the pockets are really well done.

I showed him my Billingham Hadley Pro Small and gave him an insert for that bag I bought from Billingham so it's the size of that bag.

He's a bit of a character and said I should just pay what I thought the bag was worth but he did say he'd spent £40 on the brass fixings so I gave him that first and then started putting down £20's. He protested and said £200 was too much so we settled on £150 and I gave him an extra £20 for a take away tonight :D So all in all it cost me £150 + £40 + the Billy bag insert which was £45 so that's a grand total of £235 (not counting the £20 for the take away) which is only a bit more than the Billy cost which I'm happy with.

He then showed my a trilby he's making for a horse owner. I was impressed with the lining with horses on it :D

I've been looking for someone to make a bag for a long time so I'm happy to have found him. This is his first camera bag. He used to make shoes but recently sold all his shoe related gear and now makes wallets, hats, Goth type flying helmet thingies etc but also recently upholstered a boat.

Pictures will follow :D
Sounds awesome

If anyone would like to see my new leather bag there's a thread here...

A little something from holiday last week. I never book a holiday without first checking the moon phases ;)

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Amazing shot. You must be close to building a collection that you could perhaps put together a book of astro landscape photos.

Lovely. Good old Pulpit Rock. Classic shot Lee.

Amazing shot. You must be close to building a collection that you could perhaps put together a book of astro landscape photos.

Insane work Lee. Love your stuff.

Thanks guys! I will say I do love the night sky stuff! I drove to Dorset overnight a month ago (it was 4 nights after I drove down for the Portland Panorama one!!) & so far I've editing ONE Durdle Door beach Milky Way from the whole night & sunrise!

This wasn't so bad because we were at the far end of Weymouth for a week. I've only looked at this one but I have a cliff top gate, the Lighthouse at Portland, Lulworth Cove & Corfe Castle to work through. As well as the general holiday shots, and landscape shots, and drone shots, and drone video!! I will say, I've been quite lately learning the video stuff! I'm not sure if I can share that with you guys in here? If not might start a thread elsewhere if there's somewhere suitable.

EDIT - This Pulpit image was 6 foreground exposures & 6 sky exposures, stacked for noise reduction & blended together.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I will say I do love the night sky stuff! I drove to Dorset overnight a month ago (it was 4 nights after I drove down for the Portland Panorama one!!) & so far I've editing ONE Durdle Door beach Milky Way from the whole night & sunrise!

This wasn't so bad because we were at the far end of Weymouth for a week. I've only looked at this one but I have a cliff top gate, the Lighthouse at Portland, Lulworth Cove & Corfe Castle to work through. As well as the general holiday shots, and landscape shots, and drone shots, and drone video!! I will say, I've been quite lately learning the video stuff! I'm not sure if I can share that with you guys in here? If not might start a thread elsewhere if there's somewhere suitable.

EDIT - This Pulpit image was 6 foreground exposures & 6 sky exposures, stacked for noise reduction & blended together.
Kewl

I wouldn't know where to start to do that or anything like it :D

Not as bad as it sounds Alan. 6 identical exposures stacked in equator to reduce noise - load the images in, select/mask sky & foreground & click a button & it chucks you back a tiff file ;) Do that for both & then blend in CS/etc with layer masks :) Obviously there is a bit more to it than that with regard to matching colours/exposure/WB etc but that's the basics of it.

Not as bad as it sounds Alan. 6 identical exposures stacked in equator to reduce noise - load the images in, select/mask sky & foreground & click a button & it chucks you back a tiff file ;) Do that for both & then blend in CS/etc with layer masks :) Obviously there is a bit more to it than that with regard to matching colours/exposure/WB etc but that's the basics of it.
:oops: :$

Honestly, that image above I reckon...... half an hour all in for a basic edit. I tend to take longer, but that's only because I like to leave the image, make a brew & come back to it with fresh eyes etc.
Maybe easy when you know how ;) If an edit takes me more than a minute I start to lose patience :LOL:

Maybe easy when you know how ;) If an edit takes me more than a minute I start to lose patience :LOL:

The Corfe Castle image is going to be......

3 sky images to stack, twice, to make a slight panorama.
3 foreground Castle images.
3 light painted immediate foreground images.

So that's 12, plus a handful of really dark exposures for the actual Castle itself which must be lit with a hundred 2000 watt lights at night!

The Corfe Castle image is going to be......

3 sky images to stack, twice, to make a slight panorama.
3 foreground Castle images.
3 light painted immediate foreground images.

So that's 12, plus a handful of really dark exposures for the actual Castle itself which must be lit with a hundred 2000 watt lights at night!
Sounds complex.

TBH I do very occasionally spend some time processing (5-10 mins) such as this where I've increased the motion blur. This was taken at 1/160 but I've increased the motion blur to look more like 1/30-1/50 ish

A9_03065-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

I don't think I'm quite feeling myself this morning, just been out with my 50mm f1.4 and took a few shots with it stopped down :eek: :LOL:

I don't think I'm quite feeling myself this morning, just been out with my 50mm f1.4 and took a few shots with it stopped down :eek: :LOL:

The aperture should be selected to suit the subject/scene and the look you're going for so a few spotted down shots is ok now and again :D

Back