The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You really should just grab an A7III - very little bigger than your A7, and with features that would help you enjoy the camera more.
It's not much bigger but it is heavier, 474g vs 650g. Now this wouldn't bother me due to the benefits that the A7III offers but woof woof's always wanting to reduce weight not increase it so maybe this is why he's not upgraded?

I'll probably just end up keeping my A7 but I would like silent shooting and faster operation as every time I go from MFT to the A7 I notice how slow it is in comparison. An A7III would give me silent shooting and it'd focus faster too but it would also be larger than my old A7 which is why I keep looking at the A7c. I should just stop looking at the A7c :D

I really do doubt that Sony will add an extra control wheel to any A7cII, it could happen but looking at the A6xxx series I doubt it :(

An A7Cii with a front dial for you & an intervalometer port for me :) (y)

@woof woof have you considered the Nikon Zfc, lovely looking camera, lightweight and had 2 control dials? Native lenses are limited but I’m not sure what can be adapted to it ?

It's not much bigger but it is heavier, 474g vs 650g. Now this wouldn't bother me due to the benefits that the A7III offers but woof woof's always wanting to reduce weight not increase it so maybe this is why he's not upgraded?

Even the A7 seems heavy after using MFT.

@woof woof have you considered the Nikon Zfc, lovely looking camera, lightweight and had 2 control dials? Native lenses are limited but I’m not sure what can be adapted to it ?

It's APS-C and I'm stuck in my ways :D I do have MFT and strangely the fact that it's a smaller system seems ok with me but I think I'd still want a FF camera as that's how my mind works and the manual lenses I have would give a different FoV on APS-C. Also... I took two pictures today under artificial lighting with my A7 at f1.8 and ISO 8,000 and they are noisy probably because of the artificial lighting rather than just low light so I wouldn't want to take too much of a step back from the A7 performance.

It's APS-C and I'm stuck in my ways :D I do have MFT and strangely the fact that it's a smaller system seems ok with me but I think I'd still want a FF camera as that's how my mind works and the manual lenses I have would give a different FoV on APS-C. Also... I took two pictures today under artificial lighting with my A7 at f1.8 and ISO 8,000 and they are noisy probably because of the artificial lighting rather than just low light so I wouldn't want to take too much of a step back from the A7 performance.
I know what you mean, I think I'll always want FF. However in terms of noise the Z fc looks better than the A7 in this example

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 07.19.19 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Also, this seems to back that up.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 07.22.01 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

I know what you mean, I think I'll always want FF. However in terms of noise the Z fc looks better than the A7 in this example

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 07.19.19 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Also, this seems to back that up.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 07.22.01 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
I'm actually questioning the accuracy of the photons to photos site now. When you compare the Z fc to the Olympus EM10 II and Sony A7s III the results make no sense, unless I'm reading them wrong of course.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 07.28.24 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

That does look ok but I don't know if the results are due to a much newer sensor in the Nikon or NR. Looking at the graph it looks like the Nikon has more read noise than the MFT camera? Who knows. I think I'd need to look at files to convince myself either way as when I've done that in the past good results on DPR suddenly don't look so good but I don't think I'll go APS-C as for me FF has advantages for IQ and manual lenses and if wanting a smaller system MFT can have real advantages. APS-C seems maybe stuck in the middle these days offering little if any savings in bulk and weight when compared to the A7 and a compact prime whereas MFT does.

That does look ok but I don't know if the results are due to a much newer sensor in the Nikon or NR. Looking at the graph it looks like the Nikon has more read noise than the MFT camera? Who knows. I think I'd need to look at files to convince myself either way as when I've done that in the past good results on DPR suddenly don't look so good but I don't think I'll go APS-C as for me FF has advantages for IQ and manual lenses and if wanting a smaller system MFT can have real advantages. APS-C seems maybe stuck in the middle these days offering little if any savings in bulk and weight when compared to the A7 and a compact prime whereas MFT does.
And that's why I'm questioning the results on photons to photos, the Olympus is even showing better than the A7SIII up until 1600 ISO which is bonkers. If you compare this to DXO the A7SIII is better across the board which you'd expect (on their graph you want it to be higher as it means more signal to noise.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 10.00.10 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

And if you look at the overall score the A7SIII is way better than the Olympus as you'd expect (although the A7SIII is surprisingly bad compared to other A7S's, especially the Gen I)
Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 10.00.19 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Maybe @nandbytes can explain the photons to photos graphs as I believe he can understand these better than me.

But yes, APS-C is a middle ground for sure. I've actually been contemplating swapping my EM10 II for the Zfc though as the Zfc with 16-50mm is only 65g heavier than my EM10 II with 12-32mm, and I'm smitten with the styling. The fact it would have better IQ is an obvious bonus.

But yes, APS-C is a middle ground for sure. I've actually been contemplating swapping my EM10 II for the Zfc though as the Zfc with 16-50mm is only 65g heavier than my EM10 II with 12-32mm, and I'm smitten with the styling. The fact it would have better IQ is an obvious bonus.

I looked at the Oly range recently but there always seemed to be something to put me off, lack of flash, shutter shock, no custom modes (really???) so I ended up getting a Panasonic G100. I've only used it outside the house a couple of times but one thing it could be useful for is selfies of ma and Mrs with the articulating screen.

The Nikon does look nice like an old camera but I think it'd be too much of a change for me as I have quite a bit of MFT kit now.

I looked at the Oly range recently but there always seemed to be something to put me off, lack of flash, shutter shock, no custom modes (really???) so I ended up getting a Panasonic G100. I've only used it outside the house a couple of times but one thing it could be useful for is selfies of ma and Mrs with the articulating screen.

The Nikon does look nice like an old camera but I think it'd be too much of a change for me as I have quite a bit of MFT kit now.
I think I just have GAS tbh, recently I’ve looked at the RX100, Fuji X-T30 and X-T3, and now the Z fc :LOL:

I owned the zfc Nikon for a bit and while it looks nice it feels extremely plastic and cheaply put together. The native apsc lenses didn’t appeal either. I had to add a grip to help balance out using the larger Nikon s lenses.

Last edited:
I owned the nfc Nikon for a bit and while it looks nice it feels extremely plastic and cheaply put together. The native apsc lenses didn’t appeal either. I had to add a grip to help balance out using the larger Nikon s lenses.
I’ve seen loads of reviews about the plasticky feeling of the camera, I’d need to try one out first. If the quality was on par with the EM10 that’d be fine for me, it wouldn’t be a main camera. I’d certainly not use it with large lenses.

I think I just have GAS tbh, recently I’ve looked at the RX100, Fuji X-T30 and X-T3, and now the Z fc :LOL:

Yup, just gas for me too.

I did tell myself I wasn't going to buy any more MFT gear but have since bought a GM5 and G100 and rebought the 20mm f1.7 and 14mm f2.5. The GM5 has impressed me as it's just so small it can be hidden in the palm of a hand. Some would use a phone for the sort of thing I'd used the GM5 for but I don't like using phones for photography.

If this is anything like the 50mm FE II then it will be a great lens, the weight is certainly a plus too.

If this is anything like the 50mm FE II then it will be a great lens, the weight is certainly a plus too.

Just noticed this lens has already been posted above :LOL:

Sometimes, the least likely machines stagger on and on and on. This is a Hillman Minx Audax made sometime between 1956 and 1967. I saw it coming towards me on on the A375 in Sidmouth and grabbed the shot through a Tamron 16~300 onto a Sony A65....

Hillman Minx Series IIIC Sidmouth A65 DSC03402.JPG

Mrs WW with a little prezie for our wooden anniversary. Buddhists use these during meditation, sort of like a Rosary.

A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8 at f1.8.

MrxAMmD.jpg

Interesting...

Interesting to me as my wedding was shot with a 5DII and 24-105mm and for various painful reasons and after months of asking where the pictures were I finally got and processed the raws myself and I was underwhelmed by the image quality. In my own humble and non professional opinion my newer MFT cameras shade the Canon for IQ.

Reading that I just wonder if some people are still stuck in an it must be a Canikon DSLR mode of thought.

Maybe more interesting than the above...

Pregnant for 4 years? That's some gestation period.

Worth viewing for the pictures.

Mrs WW tells me to stop being so literal. Why should I? :D

Last edited:
Interesting...

Interesting to me as my wedding was shot with a 5DII and 24-105mm and for various painful reasons and after months of asking where the pictures were I finally got and processed the raws myself and I was underwhelmed by the image quality. In my own humble and non professional opinion my newer MFT cameras shade the Canon for IQ.

Reading that I just wonder if some people are still stuck in an it must be a Canikon DSLR mode of thought.

Maybe more interesting than the above...

Pregnant for 4 years? That's some gestation period.

Worth viewing for the pictures.

Mrs WW tells me to stop being so literal. Why should I? :D
In what way is you M4/3 better than the Canon? I’d be surprised that the FF isn’t better even though it’s old tech, maybe a combo of tech, light and user?

In what way is you M4/3 better than the Canon? I’d be surprised that the FF isn’t better even though it’s old tech, maybe a combo of tech, light and user?

Possibly slightly better DR and overall IQ plus eye detect and tracking meaning there's more scope for the composition and capturing the moment being up to the photographer rather than being decided by where the focus points are or by focusing and recomposing or cropping post capture. I think with more moddrn kit the chances of the composition being right straight out of the camera are higher. I did have to crop a lot of them, possibly most. Plus there were some slightly OOF shots from the Canon and whilst that could be down to user error such as too slow a shutter speed or focusing and recomposing maybe good old DSLR focus inconsistency could be in the mix somewhere.

Looking at the raws I was more reminded of the original 5D I had and its limitations than a more more modern camera.

I just found it a bit surprising that someone would recommend a 5DII for "under $1,000" for professional use these days. As a happy amateur the biggest and maybe only advantage I can see in that combination is that it'll appeal to DSLR lovers. Still, pros may know better :D

Dare I mention my favourite Sony camera: the petite HX90?

Pocketable, pop-up eye level viewfinder, tilting main screen, 24-720 (35mm equivalent) lens, plus more features than you could shake a stick at. Very few other cameras sit in your pocket but can give you a moon shot or a close up of a blackbird at a moment's notice...

Sony HX90 8GB 01 DSC00821.JPGBlackbird maximum zoom Sony HX90 DSC00169.JPG

Possibly slightly better DR and overall IQ plus eye detect and tracking meaning there's more scope for the composition and capturing the moment being up to the photographer rather than being decided by where the focus points are or by focusing and recomposing or cropping post capture. I think with more moddrn kit the chances of the composition being right straight out of the camera are higher. I did have to crop a lot of them, possibly most. Plus there were some slightly OOF shots from the Canon and whilst that could be down to user error such as too slow a shutter speed or focusing and recomposing maybe good old DSLR focus inconsistency could be in the mix somewhere.

Looking at the raws I was more reminded of the original 5D I had and its limitations than a more more modern camera.

I just found it a bit surprising that someone would recommend a 5DII for "under $1,000" for professional use these days. As a happy amateur the biggest and maybe only advantage I can see in that combination is that it'll appeal to DSLR lovers. Still, pros may know better :D
I looked at that option, and it does sound very much like the views of a die-hard Canon user.

On paper, my old A900 (released the same year as the 5Dii) actually beats the 5Dii as a stills camera - 24Mp vs 22Mp, similar AF spread, 40 zone metering vs 35, 5fps vs 3.9, 0.74x 100% OVF vs 0.71x 98% OVF. The only things the Canon has over the A900 are live view and a pop up flash.

The only reals situation I can think of where you would buy something like either of those now for pro use is where you needed something 'basic' but solid - where it might take the odd knock, etc. where the 'pro' build quality was an advantage over that of the more modern lower budget kit, and yet you could still afford to just write it off if if something catastrophic happened to it.

I looked at that option, and it does sound very much like the views of a die-hard Canon user.

On paper, my old A900 (released the same year as the 5Dii) actually beats the 5Dii as a stills camera - 24Mp vs 22Mp, similar AF spread, 40 zone metering vs 35, 5fps vs 3.9, 0.74x 100% OVF vs 0.71x 98% OVF. The only things the Canon has over the A900 are live view and a pop up flash.

The only reals situation I can think of where you would buy something like either of those now for pro use is where you needed something 'basic' but solid - where it might take the odd knock, etc. where the 'pro' build quality was an advantage over that of the more modern lower budget kit, and yet you could still afford to just write it off if if something catastrophic happened to it.

That's a good point I suppose about build and taking a hit but one possible worry could be the mirror mechanism.

I don't know how modern Fuji's perform AF wise but I do think I'd take something newer and APS-C from Sony or Fuji or even MFT over a 5DII. Later in the day I did use the camera that was used to shoot our wedding and it really did feel like a step back in time to me, but all respect to those who love their DSLR's.

Having looked the only area the 5D is better is noise, and that's not by much, maybe 1/3 stop.

Do people still recommend the 5Dii? I certainly wouldn't, as you say there's a lot of cameras that are better these days for the same money (y)

That's a good point I suppose about build and taking a hit but one possible worry could be the mirror mechanism.

I don't know how modern Fuji's perform AF wise but I do think I'd take something newer and APS-C from Sony or Fuji or even MFT over a 5DII. Later in the day I did use the camera that was used to shoot our wedding and it really did feel like a step back in time to me, but all respect to those who love their DSLR's.
If I could afford to, I'd switch to an A7iii or later quite happily - but Sony's decisions on A-Mount adaptors have blocked that.

Had they come out with the LA-EA5 from the start, and had all cameras provide full functionality with it, I could have picked up a s/h body and gradually switched - but with needing both the LA-EA4 and LA-EA3 (nearly £500 for the pair), it was just too big a hurdle to get over when my A900's are good enough for 80%+ of what I shoot.

The mirror is actually remarkably tough - I've actually had a mirror failure on one of my A900's - the mirror detached from the mechanism without breaking, and I was able to remove hte lens, and lift the detached mirror out intact! Sony replaced the whole assembly on a fixed price repair (under £200), which took a while as they had to search Europe for a replacement part and eventually found the last one available for me :)

Good luck with it Dave. As a cancer survivor, I can recommend you be positive - it does make a difference

Just got back in now, my results came in the post, cancer free as the last op got the lot of it. One very happy bunny here now.

Back