The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I’ve just discovered a feature in lightroom I didn’t even know existed, it’s “enhance”. Seems to work like Gigapixel and from my limited use appears to get similar results.

I’ve just discovered a feature in lightroom I didn’t even know existed, it’s “enhance”. Seems to work like Gigapixel and from my limited use appears to get similar results.
Yeah it’s actually part of camera raw, works really well, I’ve done some large prints from older files.

I was passing by Brompton Cemetery in West London a few days ago and decided to pop in and take a few shots. I posted a few more in the architecture forum. Cemeteries sound depressing but they're actually lovely to stroll through. :)

Brompton Cemetery 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Brompton Cemetery 7
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Brompton Cemetery 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Brompton Cemetery 12
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Brompton Cemetery 9
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Brompton Cemetery 10
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Brompton Cemetery 5
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Last edited:
I’ve shown these to my wife and I’ve made a rod for my own back now as I’ve got to learn how to get photos of Betty as nice as these :headbang: :LOL:

I have faith in you mate

Any of you guys using the Samyang 50mm 1.4 II ?
Yep I have it and am very happy with it. Sharp wide open (not Sigma 85mm DG DN sharp but still very good) and very good across the frame. No sign of decentering on mine and AF has been flawless including eye AF, I’m not sure why Julia Trotti had issues :thinking:

I’ve always been a fan of Samyang’s rendering so to have it with great AF and sharpness is a winner for me.

Disclaimer: whilst some of my photography can be demanding I don’t need gear for pro work so YMMV ;)

A couple of times recently I've thought I've taken a picture and I actually haven't, I must not have pressed the shutter button properly. I do wish Sony would allow us to change the colour of the box on the A9ii that flashes to represent a photo has been taken to something more visible like the A1 but they don't seem to want to add it for some reason. I tried using the fake shutter sound but it's too loud, is there a way to change the volume of this?

Also, does anyone know a way of submitting feedback to Sony?

Hi, I am finding with the A7R IV large MP's that noise in darker places (in my case a woodland with heavy canopy) is quite bad so question is if you shoot in the crop mode (1/2 the MP's) does it make a difference on noise although you are still using the same sensor?
Thanks, Russ.

Hi, I am finding with the A7R IV large MP's that noise in darker places (in my case a woodland with heavy canopy) is quite bad so question is if you shoot in the crop mode (1/2 the MP's) does it make a difference on noise although you are still using the same sensor?
Thanks, Russ.
Same sensor Russ

A couple of times recently I've thought I've taken a picture and I actually haven't, I must not have pressed the shutter button properly. I do wish Sony would allow us to change the colour of the box on the A9ii that flashes to represent a photo has been taken to something more visible like the A1 but they don't seem to want to add it for some reason. I tried using the fake shutter sound but it's too loud, is there a way to change the volume of this?

Also, does anyone know a way of submitting feedback to Sony?

I’m sure a setting can be applied so the outer box could flash with a blue coloured outline to indicate shots were being fired?

I’m sure a setting can be applied so the outer box could flash with a blue coloured outline to indicate shots were being fired?
AFAIK that’s only on the A1.

Thanks, Russ.
Strange, I found the noise handling very good. Of course, the higher pixel density the worse noise will be, but it was still excellent for me and I rarely had to add any NR even if boosting shadow areas.

Cropping will make it worse as you’re effectively ‘zooming in’ and therefore noise will be more apparent.

a couple of weeks ago I managed to use my birthday present of a trip to the safari park. shot on the a9 and 200-600. ive framed it too tight at the top sadly, but still like the image.

I like it too but if the tightness bothers you what I've done a couple of times is make the canvas bigger and fill the new empty space using the clone tool. Worth a try?

I hadn’t thought of that

Good luck with it. Looking at your picture the top and one of the sides (to keep the aspect ratio the same) or even both sides shouldn't be a problem as it's mostly oof bokeh. The only other little tip I have for you is to watch that area at the top of the frame where the lion almost touches the top and when near that area take your clone point from well away to avoid cloning the lion :D

I went in knowing the difference, so skipped straight to the outro, hoping he would make a decision, even an if scenario but he just goes "you got to decide for yourself".

Exit video.

3 seconds wasted. lol

I have the kit lens but I've only used it a few time and in fact the last time I used it I thought I was mounting the 85mm f1.8 and only noticed I had the kit lens fitted when I couldn't select f1.8 :D I mostly use primes so this vid would have been more interesting to me if at the end he'd said "Of these two I'd buy the Sony 35mm f1.8." :D

Anyone used/tried both the 40mm and 50mm 2.5g? I have always preferred 50 as my go to carry around lens but thinking the 40mm might just be that little bit more versatile.

I’m not sure if funds will stretch to either at the moment. I’m currently sitting on enough to get the Samyang 45mm but think I might end up being disappointed with the lens as a couple of reviews are saying the 45 and 50g lenses are much better IQ wise.

Anyone used/tried both the 40mm and 50mm 2.5g? I have always preferred 50 as my go to carry around lens but thinking the 40mm might just be that little bit more versatile.

I’m not sure if funds will stretch to either at the moment. I’m currently sitting on enough to get the Samyang 45mm but think I might end up being disappointed with the lens as a couple of reviews are saying the 45 and 50g lenses are much better IQ wise.

No, not me. I bought the 24mm f2.8 G but I keep being tempted by the 40 or 50mm. I used to prefer 50mm and that used to be my most used focal length but these days I seem to have gravitated more to 35mm but having said that I do think that I could live with the 40 or 50mm no problem. Some might prefer the teeny bit extra bit of latitude for DoF and bokeh balls you'll get with the 50mm over 40 but other than that I suppose other things that could influence me are the minimum focus distance and magnification so a look at the specs could help make minds up.

I do think that 24 and 50 make a good set but 24 and 40 or even 24 and 35mm is nice too.

Sorry if I haven't helped. Good luck choosing :D

My bargain 40 is possibly being traded in on Monday guys so last chance to bag a bargain, been offered pretty much what I’ve put it in the classifieds for.

Been through all the settings on the A9ii, nothing to change the colour of the 'indicator' box :(

Back