The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If you move onto an A1 I may be interested in your A9ii :)
As much as I'd love one it's just a pipe dream unless my 6 numbers come up or I get an inheritance from a long lost relative I don't know about ;)

As much as I'd love one it's just a pipe dream unless my 6 numbers come up or I get an inheritance from a long lost relative I don't know about ;)
You're not alone - the A1 is just out of reach for me - and probably overkill. I would like some G Master glass though :)

You're not alone - the A1 is just out of reach for me - and probably overkill. I would like some G Master glass though :)
Well I'd like some G Master lenses too ;) The reality is this is just a hobby for me, and I've already got some great gear that I'm grateful for. Doesn't stop GAS attacks though ;)

Well I'd like some G Master lenses too ;) The reality is this is just a hobby for me, and I've already got some great gear that I'm grateful for. Doesn't stop GAS attacks though ;)
Ahem :ROFLMAO:

Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM OSS II - Sony 100-400mm GM

Didn't realise you got the 70-200GMii.
Did you do a comparison against your 100-400mm with a 2x TC?
Where’ve you been :LOL: ;)

No, I don’t rate 2x TC’s much (although not tried the Sony one) plus I occasionally use the 1.4x on the 100-400mm.

Edit, this doesn’t look great

Last edited:
Lol I meant other ones, the 35mm f1.4 being one of them ;)
I'm keen on one of them too - and a 50mm f/1,2 GM - but for now I'm just on the budget samyangs!! I think a second body is priority before Weddings come back into play next month. The Sony A9ii is an attractive proposition, but in reality it will probably be a D750 with a cheap 35mm / 50mm as backup and so I can itch my Nikon withdrawal (and to use my 300mm natively again - just love that lens)

Lol I meant other ones, the 35mm f1.4 being one of them ;)
I know a bloke that bought one of those on here recently and has hardly used it, if it doesn't inspire me soon it will be going. Quite fancy something MF to play with.

I'm keen on one of them too - and a 50mm f/1,2 GM - but for now I'm just on the budget samyangs!! I think a second body is priority before Weddings come back into play next month. The Sony A9ii is an attractive proposition, but in reality it will probably be a D750 with a cheap 35mm / 50mm as backup and so I can itch my Nikon withdrawal (and to use my 300mm natively again - just love that lens)
The f1.2’s a bit big and heavy, I’m more than happy with my Samyang 50mm f1.4 FE II, the mark ii’s seem a big step forward.
I know a bloke that bought one of those on here recently and has hardly used it, if it doesn't inspire me soon it will be going. Quite fancy something MF to play with.
I’m fancying the Voigtländer 15mm f4.5. I also fancy trying the Laowa 10-18mm, just a shame it can’t show EXIF.

The f1.2’s a bit big and heavy, I’m more than happy with my Samyang 50mm f1.4 FE II, the mark ii’s seem a big step forward.

I’m fancying the Voigtländer 15mm f4.5. I also fancy trying the Laowa 10-18mm, just a shame it can’t show EXIF.
Voigtländer 40 and 50 are on my list, what holds me back at this stage is they seem a bit of a pig to resell if I don't get on with it. Sony glass seems to sell almost instantly, just find it all a bit clinical.

Voigtländer 40 and 50 are on my list, what holds me back at this stage is they seem a bit of a pig to resell if I don't get on with it. Sony glass seems to sell almost instantly, just find it all a bit clinical.

You can always give pro-mist filter a try to soften things up a little.

Yeah I keep looking at reviews of those and looked on B&H after you pointed out the cost saving. How are you finding yours ?

I've not taken any photos with it yet! Plan to use it in Japan...

(although i only got the 77mm, meaning i can't use it on my 24-70/2.8, oops, which has a 82mm thread). So it'll be on my 35GM i think.

I've not taken any photos with it yet! Plan to use it in Japan...

(although i only got the 77mm, meaning i can't use it on my 24-70/2.8, oops, which has a 82mm thread). So it'll be on my 35GM i think.
It's weird when I had Fuji I loved my 23mm f/1.4 so i'm very used to the 35mm focal length but i'm not feeling the GM, to be fair it's probably just the whole Sony shooting experience.

It's weird when I had Fuji I loved my 23mm f/1.4 so i'm very used to the 35mm focal length but i'm not feeling the GM, to be fair it's probably just the whole Sony shooting experience.

I'm the opposite, on the Fuji I use the 35/1.4 almost exclusively. On the Sony I go for the 35mm.

In guess deep down I am comfortable with both, in fact, i am tempted to get the Zeiss 55/1.8 for traveling for it's size, but the problem it has CA galore.

Last edited:
I'm the opposite, on the Fuji I use the 35/1.4 almost exclusively. On the Sony I go for the 35mm.

In guess deep down I am comfortable with both, in fact, i am tempted to get the Zeiss 55/1.8 for traveling for it's size.
I took a 55 on holiday a few years ago, was great and same filter size as your X100.

I don’t understand the lack of love for shooting with Sony, to me it feels no different to any other DSLR or Mirrorless I’ve used except Fuji with their manual controls?

I understand other people clearly feel this way though (y)

Sony version of voigtlanders have EXIF.
Laowa 10-18mm was fun but eventually I got rid of it. Optically its not that great tbh.

Currently I have the 14GM and its exceptional. Will probably keep it for now and look to add the 20-70mm.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the lack of love for shooting with Sony, to me it feels no different to any other DSLR or Mirrorless I’ve used except Fuji with their manual controls?

I understand other people clearly feel this way though (y)
Hard to explain, even the Canon R6 felt very different.

The Sigma 105mm has been on the wish list for ages but having seen one at TPS it's massive.

My 5D4 felt like home. I just know where all the buttons are, what all the combinations are, I can operate it blind, in the dark pretty much. Sony body are also too short, and my hands are not that big, even I have no where to put the pinky.

There are a few things that the Sony doesn't do, and should.

1 - A lock button for the wheel, so it doesn't bump the ISO on the dial or shoot mode accidentally.
2 - have the wheel to scroll focus points left and right and the front to go up and down....why can't i do that?

That would help with some of the ergonomics.

I actually find the A74 supremely comfortable, ergonomics are great for me, quite comfortable walking around holding it with 3 fingers even with the 70-200 attached.

You can always give pro-mist filter a try to soften things up a little.

I use a 10% Cinebloom most of the time on the 35GM. I've been using the 20% recently shooting these village images because I want the softer, more film like look.

The same filters work well on the Voigtlanders too.

I bought the 35GM nearly 2 years ago now but just couldn't let the Voigtlander 40/1.2E go. I've been using it a lot more recently when out on my own.

The Sigma 105mm has been on the wish list for ages but having seen one at TPS it's massive.

I have it....

U07y8BE.jpg

XTQVFl5.jpg

4q9bu4I.jpg

uxMYTvd.png

The front element is crazy though, what else out there that has 105mm front filter?

aOVXK5m.jpg
Actually think I might swap the 35 GM for one of these. The Tamron 28-75 G2 is more than good enough for event coverage. Always nice to have something special in the bag.

Sony version of voigtlanders have EXIF.
Laowa 10-18mm was fun but eventually I got rid of it. Optically its not that great tbh.

Currently I have the 14GM and its exceptional. Will probably keep it for now and look to add the 20-70mm.
The 14mm GM looks great but very pricey, especially for a lens that might not get used a great deal. My thoughts are that I could get rid of the 16-35mm and 24-70mm and mainly use the 20-70mm but have the 15mm for the times I need something ultra wide. We’ll see, it’s more likely I’ll just keep what I have.
If you love that focal length, it's a no brainer imo ;)
It’s not my favourite, I prefer 50mm generally. It would just be nice to have the GM rendering for the times I do shoot 35mm. I have the f1.8 which is a great performer but there’s just nothing wow about the rendering. I actually prefer the Samyang 35mm f1.8 rendering over the Sony f1.8 but I tried a coupe and had to return them due to decentering.

Actually think I might swap the 35 GM for one of these. The Tamron 28-75 G2 is more than good enough for event coverage. Always nice to have something special in the bag.

You are going to need a bigger bag lol

The collar adds quite a bit of weight too, but it's useful, I also have the ceramic protector for it...

Back