The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The question is how much….and what condition…and is it the original or the Gen A which has a nicer LCD, which wasn’t a big deal for me.

I might have bought the cheapest one on the market the other week at £900 but I think the previous owner was a wildlife tog who wore gloves and worn out all those edges with the abrasion.

13k shutter count, boxed for £900, down to £800 out of pocket as I had something to trade in. I think they are £1400 on grey market new so personally I think even if it’s a UK stock originally…if asking like £1200, which a lot of online stores sell their R3 at, is too high. As very unlikely they are still within warranty so you might as well get a grey market new one for that much.

Not got a price yet.

But...

The a7riii doesn’t have a mark on it, screen protector since new etc. got the box and everything that came with it plus a SmallRig L Bracket

As it's quiet...

I've been looking at a cheap Chinese lens with a wide aperture and some character which included susceptibility to flare. I have the TTArtisan 50mm f2, it's got a surprising amount of contrast and sharpness in the central area, very smeared corners and just about off the scale vignetting but I fancy something else.

A few pictures from that 50mm f2.

Y5qdbDn.jpg

100% from that. I hope the contrast, colour and sharpness survive posting.

K2HSLrS.jpg

One showing some loss of contrast due to flare.

mv8Nd39.jpg

For anyone interested in a Sony mount manual lens it is IMO worth playing with for £80 and it's tiny which possibly explains some of the optical properties.

I don't know if I'll get this new lens but it has got me interested.

Last edited:
Looking for some lens advice forA7iv. I am wanting to do some more video work. This will be for mainly horse ridding and interviews with the riders/instructors.

I will not have a huge budget so was thinking of say a 35mm and some sort of zoom or maybe 2 primes.

What are people using for video work?

Looking for some lens advice forA7iv. I am wanting to do some more video work. This will be for mainly horse ridding and interviews with the riders/instructors.

I will not have a huge budget so was thinking of say a 35mm and some sort of zoom or maybe 2 primes.

What are people using for video work?

Philip Bloom uses the Sony 35/1.8 for his channel....a lot of youtubers uses the 24-70 GMii.

Just looked at DPR and front and centre is this A7Rv review from 31st Jan...

It's interesting that they put the 24mm G on it as that lens seems to divide opinion or at best be largely ignored. I have one.

The rumor guy is getting excited about the A7cII and A9III but is disappointed at the thought that the A7cII might have the same evf as the original.

I love my a7c
With the Tamron 17-28 + 28-200 lenses, for me its the ideal travel setup.
To have the a7iv sensor and the new menu system would be an excellent upgrade.
Just hope they add a port for attaching a remote this time ;)

I love my a7c
With the Tamron 17-28 + 28-200 lenses, for me its the ideal travel setup.
To have the a7iv sensor and the new menu system would be an excellent upgrade.
Just hope they add a port for attaching a remote this time ;)

It just has too many issues for me including having to use the back thumbwheel, apparently constant EFCS and I still don't know what happens if you want to shoot faster than 1/4,000. Do you have to select the electronic shutter or does the camera switch automatically? I don't know. Plus the EVF apparently could be better. I have zero confidence that Sony will add another control wheel or allow other shutter options or sort any of the things that irk me but I can see how some love their A7c's.

From the rumor site.

All the 50mm's...

So if things work out I should have a bit of spare cash in the next few weeks - and I am thinking of switching from my old A-Mount A900 to the A7iv + LA-EA5, as that will give me full use of my collection of A-Mount glass - I would then gradually switch over to native equivalents as I can afford to.
I am hoping that by trading in a body and lens as part of the deal, I'll be able to afford 1 reasonable native lens as well as the body, and my thoughts are that the place I will see the biggest 'improvement' would be by trading in my Tamron 150-600 (mk 1) and getting a Sony 200-600 to replace it - I'm thinking AF speed / capability in particular, on a lens where that is particularly important.
What are peoples thoughts?

So if things work out I should have a bit of spare cash in the next few weeks - and I am thinking of switching from my old A-Mount A900 to the A7iv + LA-EA5, as that will give me full use of my collection of A-Mount glass - I would then gradually switch over to native equivalents as I can afford to.
I am hoping that by trading in a body and lens as part of the deal, I'll be able to afford 1 reasonable native lens as well as the body, and my thoughts are that the place I will see the biggest 'improvement' would be by trading in my Tamron 150-600 (mk 1) and getting a Sony 200-600 to replace it - I'm thinking AF speed / capability in particular, on a lens where that is particularly important.
If wildlife is your main area then it sounds like a great start (y)

the place I will see the biggest 'improvement' would be by trading in my Tamron 150-600 (mk 1) and getting a Sony 200-600 to replace it - I'm thinking AF speed / capability in particular, on a lens where that is particularly important.

The 200-600mm lens is the single reason I bought into the Sony system and if you look at a lot of Canon shooters on Youtube they have done the same. I use mine less since getting the 100-400mm but will take it when I am soley going out to shoot wildlife and hopefully I will get to do some airshows with it this year as well.

The 200-600mm lens is the single reason I bought into the Sony system and if you look at a lot of Canon shooters on Youtube they have done the same. I use mine less since getting the 100-400mm but will take it when I am soley going out to shoot wildlife and hopefully I will get to do some airshows with it this year as well.
Sony 200-600mm way outstrips the Tamron 150-600mm mk1 for AF consistency and accuracy. So far out of the Tamron 150-600mm mk1, Nikon 200-500mm and Canon 100-400mm MKII, the Sony is my firm favourite. The zoom is also a pleasure to use without the same resistance I was used to with the extending and retracting lenses above.

Last edited:
ive Just bought the a7iv. upgraded from the a7iii and use it with the 200-600 its a brilliant combo for wildlife it will be night amd day difference from the tamron

If wildlife is your main area then it sounds like a great start (y)
I shoot a variety of things, but I figured that for landscapes and portraits, then my adapted lenses will be fast enough, AF wise - it's when I'm shooting wildlife (or Motorsport / Aircraft) where the ability to quickly gain AF and track is most critical, that I would see the biggest jump in performance from upgrading the lens.

The first photo really shows off the AF accuracy, but my favourite is actually the second photo. I like the visual layers in it and a wonderful calming atmosphere about it.
Thanks - I wasn't sure if the harsh highlights might spoil the image but it seems to work with the silhouette of the swans swimming down the river
I shoot a variety of things, but I figured that for landscapes and portraits, then my adapted lenses will be fast enough, AF wise - it's when I'm shooting wildlife (or Motorsport / Aircraft) where the ability to quickly gain AF and track is most critical, that I would see the biggest jump in performance from upgrading the lens.

I would say the initial AF acquisition of the A7IV and 200-600mm combo can be a bit a hit or miss but other members experience may vary. That's my only gripe with the combo - particularly with darker subjects or backlit situations the combo sometimes freezes with what seems like no attempt to acquire focus if focus is too far away from where it needs to be - and you can't grab the focus ring to help it without first toggling into MF and back again. I sometimes find focusing on something else before returning to the subject can help. I've yet to see if other bodies perform better, but there was a time when the A7RIV and the A7IV had issues which I think have been improved through firmware updates. Once you have acquired AF it's a completely different story though - if you keep the subject within the frame it won't let go!!

From the YouTube videos I've seen - it seems to be a common issue with mirrorless:

View: https://youtu.be/rCks9EZ7oTk

Last edited:
Last Singapore scenes.

Just after taking this a couple of military jets flew over very low, practicing for independence day celebrations I think.

uiUZN9Y.jpg

Boating to the shopping centre.

u1wW08x.jpg

Green spaces, high rise living, glittering centre towers and ships in the harbour beyond.

jWGu8q5.jpg

Whilst waiting in a queue for ice creams I snapped this behind us.

jtWi6az.jpg

I enjoyed our holiday and thought it a fantastic place.

Last edited:
Last Singapore scenes.

Just after taking this a couple of military jets flew over very low, practicing for independence day celebrations I think.

uiUZN9Y.jpg

Boating to the shopping centre.

u1wW08x.jpg

Green spaces, high rise living, glittering centre towers and ships in the harbour beyond.

jWGu8q5.jpg

Whilst waiting in a queue for ice creams I snapped this behind us.

jtWi6az.jpg

I enjoyed our holiday and thought it a fantastic place.
So many interesting locations. The building on the 2nd last photo in the background looked really unusual. And a river in a shopping centre?

So many interesting locations. The building on the 2nd last photo in the background looked really unusual. And a river in a shopping centre?

Yes, there are many unusual buildings and locations and I'd recommend a visit if you get the chance. We did it on the cheap as my Chinese BIL his wife Mrs WW's sister live there so we stayed with them. Have to be honest and say that I'm not really into architecture or shopping but I did like their green spaces and visitor attractions, the Garden By The Bay, the Lion water fountain and their "Mountain" being amongst my favourites.

Oh and for the unattached I think Singapore must have one of the highest beautiful women to population ratios of the places I've been :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back