The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I don't think they'll make an A9iii.

If they do the grey prices will also come down eventually just like it's done on A1 and it's doing on A7RV
I thought it was odds on? Yeah I know the price will come down but initially it’ll be competing with grey A1 prices. For people like me who can’t justify £3k investment to upgrade to the A1 it’s likely there’ll be even less reason to justify investing £3k into the A9iii.

Will be interesting to see if it comes out, what the price will be and what it offers.

I thought it was odds on? Yeah I know the price will come down but initially it’ll be competing with grey A1 prices. For people like me who can’t justify £3k investment to upgrade to the A1 it’s likely there’ll be even less reason to justify investing £3k into the A9iii.

Will be interesting to see if it comes out, what the price will be and what it offers.
Yeah rumors guy thinks it's coming out this year.
For me it doesn't really make sense at this point.
Any one will to fork out £4.5K or more will probably just go down the route of used or grey A1. Can't imagine it'll sell particularly well at the start.
It might sell better once the value comes down but who releases a body with the idea of selling it after price comes down.

Yeah rumors guy thinks it's coming out this year.
For me it doesn't really make sense at this point.
Any one will to fork out £4.5K or more will probably just go down the route of used or grey A1. Can't imagine it'll sell particularly well at the start.
It might sell better once the value comes down but who releases a body with the idea of selling it after price comes down.
Agreed. I can’t see what advancements in tech they can add over the A1 that people would actually need/want. 30fps is already overkill, I’m sure AF will continue to improve but honestly if the A1’s not good enough for you there’s something wrong. Maybe they’ll surprise us and bring it out similar to current A9II prices (very much doubt it).

A question.

The f1.1 pushed the shutter speed even more than my f1.2 and there have been a couple of occasions when 1/8,000 was flashing at ISO 50 and annoyingly my A7's auto ISO can't include values less than 100. Are lower than ISO 100 values possible with auto ISO with newer cameras?

Last edited:
A question.

The f1.1 pushed the shutter speed even more than my f1.2 and there have been a couple of occasions when 1/8,000 was flashing at ISO 50 and annoyingly my A7's auto ISO can't include values less than 100. Are lower than ISO 100 values possible with auto ISO with newer cameras?
No.

A question.

Unfortunately not, I'm not sure that any cameras allow the lower ISOs in auto ISO. I'm not sure why, I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult for software to select base as default but if shutter speed is maxed and the image is overexposed to drop the ISO to a low setting :thinking:

The rumor guy says it's based on A7s with no EVF. Time will tell but it'll be of no interest to me.
Me neither. My only interests these days are in the A9 series and A1 series. I do like the look of the A7IV but I've got used to blackout free shooting and being able to use the electronic shutter for everything and I don't think I could go back.

Another lovely sunny dry day here. I feel like a little outing in the car and to try somewhere different for photos with the 200-600

Unfortunately not, I'm not sure that any cameras allow the lower ISOs in auto ISO. I'm not sure why, I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult for software to select base as default but if shutter speed is maxed and the image is overexposed to drop the ISO to a low setting :thinking:

Oh dear.

It seems odd as some cameras allow expanded ISO (upwards) to be included in auto ISO. I'm sure my Panasonic cameras work like this. Oh well. I could always set a custom mode to ISO 50 and if the light level drops and the ISO needs to rise it'd be a matter of selecting aperture or manual mode with auto ISO. That could be slightly less fiddly than calling up the custom menu or assigning ISO to a button but all this is I suppose just another thing to remember to do and it would be a lot easier if auto ISO could be expanded upwards and downwards.

Another lovely sunny dry day here. I feel like a little outing in the car and to try somewhere different for photos with the 200-600
Raining here :rolleyes: Plus I'm at work anyway :dummy:

A question.

The iso 50 value isn't real, and you may as well shoot in auto, then pull the exposure down when editing the raw file. It helps for jpg images, doing exactly this in camera.

The iso 50 value isn't real, and you may as well shoot in auto, then pull the exposure down when editing the raw file. It helps for jpg images, doing exactly this in camera.

I know it isn't real just as higher values aren't.

Whatever it's doing in camera at 50 it seems to work better for me than reducing the exposure post capture. That may be more about my lack of processing skills but it's what I've found to be the case based on two outings testing this lens at f1.1.

Of course it could just be down to the quality of light on the day but the ISO 50 results do show a marked improvement and were easier to process. Next time I might try shooting the same scene at 50 and then 100. Assuming I can switch quickly enough to stop the light changing that should be a good test.

I'll report back :D

I know it isn't real just as higher values aren't.

Whatever it's doing in camera at 50 it seems to work better for me than reducing the exposure post capture. That may be more about my lack of processing skills but it's what I've found to be the case based on two outings testing this lens at f1.1.

Of course it could just be down to the quality of light on the day but the ISO 50 results do show a marked improvement and were easier to process. Next time I might try shooting the same scene at 50 and then 100. Assuming I can switch quickly enough to stop the light changing that should be a good test.

I'll report back :D
I find using the lower ISOs is better than reducing in post too, I don’t know if it’s in my head or not :thinking:

I find using the lower ISOs is better than reducing in post too, I don’t know if it’s in my head or not :thinking:
Me too, some of the claims made by manufacturers stretch the truth somewhat, when using higher ISO your exposure needs to be spot on as recovering details in shadows shows up the noise if you’ve under exposed, the term do it right, do it once springs to mind.

I'm not going to attempt to post pictures here to try and show the differences I'm seeing but all I can say is that for me selecting ISO 50 made processing easier and got a better end result than 100 but as above this could be down to conditions on the day or my cack-handed processing.

I posted a picture in another thread and someone commentated that sunshine follows me about but my perception on the day was that the light wasn't great, it was harsh with lots of glare and I think that conditions on different days could be at play here so the best test could be to shoot 50 and 100 side by side.

Apart from the exposure / processing issues I've been grappling with with this f1.1 lens what has struck me is that f1.1 seems to be quite a jump over f1.2 but again this could be down to conditions on the day as I didn't have both the 1.1 and f1.2 lenses with me. Also there could be variations in the lenses and how the maker decides the f stop.

The end result of all this is that I wasn't happy with the results shooting at 100 and the lens very nearly went back but shooting at 50 has made such a difference and I've gone from being disappointed to being rather pleased with this lens. OK, I'm trying to sell it but that's not because of IQ but rather me just being me and wanting something else :D

Last edited:
I did a panorama the other day. I've only done about a dozen or so and most have turned out ok with just a couple of failures but this most recent one is a failure and at the mo I can't see why. It was with a manual lens, aperture set, I remembered to set the camera to manual, ISO 100 and set the exposure but there's lighting differences / banding in the sky. I've had issues before which have disappeared when trying a second time but this time it seems to be a duffer.

Oh well.

Last edited:
I did a panorama the other day. I've only done about a dozen or so and most have turned out ok with just a couple of failures but this most recent one is a failure and at the mo I can't see why. It was with a manual lens, aperture set, I remembered to set the camera to manual, ISO 100 and set the exposure but there's lighting differences / banding in the sky. I've had issues before which have disappeared when trying a second time but this time it seems to be a duffer.

Oh well.

Are you doing your processing and corrections before merging? That usually solves the sky-banding issue frm vignetting.

Are you doing your processing and corrections before merging? That usually solves the sky-banding issue frm vignetting.

I applied my usual custom profile and tried dialling in a bit of vignetting correction to them all too and it was awful. Next I let PS apply the changes and that was awful too. I'm going to try correcting each frame next.

I applied my usual custom profile and tried dialling in a bit of vignetting correction to them all too and it was awful. Next I let PS apply the changes and that was awful too. I'm going to try correcting each frame next.

Something's obviously not right.

25 image landscape orientation stitch with the 50mm f1.1 at f8.

HR23SmZ.jpg

6 frames in the middle seemed to be causing all the havoc but when they were deleted it's worked sort of ok. I had to clone out additional captures of this family as they appeared in multiple frames as they walked across the beach. I'm not really happy with this and I prefer the last one I did at 35mm from a different position. Oh well, we live and learn.

25 image landscape orientation stitch with the 50mm f1.1 at f8.

HR23SmZ.jpg

6 frames in the middle seemed to be causing all the havoc but when they were deleted it's worked sort of ok. I had to clone out additional captures of this family as they appeared in multiple frames as they walked across the beach. I'm not really happy with this and I prefer the last one I did at 35mm from a different position. Oh well, we live and learn.
Difficult to judge properly at this size but I seem to see some horizontal banding in the sky in the middle part of the image? Do you shoot raw/jpeg, compressed/uncompressed and 12 bit/14bit? I mist admit I've never had banding unless I've heavily compressed a jpeg file.

I've never found any issue shooting at ISO50

I only tend to use it for long exposure sunrise or sunset though where I want to stretch the exposure time another stop.

Difficult to judge properly at this size but I seem to see some horizontal banding in the sky in the middle part of the image? Do you shoot raw/jpeg, compressed/uncompressed and 12 bit/14bit? I mist admit I've never had banding unless I've heavily compressed a jpeg file.

I shoot raw. I think the banding here might be due to the posting process/compression. It looks better on my screen.

Original = 79.2mb, this one is 245kb. 21,228 x 6,016 down to 1,000 x 283.

To be honest I often see issues in my pictures here that I don't see on my screen. Maybe I should start to optimise for web posting.

Last edited:
To say CP+ only has one day left to run there’s not been many (if any) interesting announcements :thinking:

A few old shots I've been having play with to make me feel better about having to postpone a HK trip until next year (Stupid boiler needed replacing)

1: View from Hoi Fai Road Promenade, Tai Kok Tsui, Hong Kong.

DSC04347-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

2: Same location as 1

DSC04353-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

3: Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

DSC00344-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

4: Ngong Ping, Lantau, Hong Kong

DSC09395-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

5: Same location as 4

DSC09414-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

Last edited:
Where's the best place to follow CP+ and other conventions news ?
I just rely on the common photography sites to relay the news, but I’ve not seen anything exciting. I guess Canon shooters might be interested in the Nokton f1.

Some shots from Leighton Moss & Foulshaw Moss this week.

1: Great Egret spearing a Pike through the eye

DSC01591-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

2:

DSC01583-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

3: Carrion Crow

DSC01620-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

4: Great Egret

DSC01553-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

5: Great Spotted Woodpecker (female)

DSC01870-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

6: Great Spotted Woodpecker (male). I broke my self imposed 'no bird photos on feeders' rule for this absolute stunning bird.

DSC01840-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

Some shots from Leighton Moss & Foulshaw Moss this week.

1: Great Egret spearing a Pike through the eye

DSC01591-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

2:

DSC01583-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

3: Carrion Crow

DSC01620-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

4: Great Egret

DSC01553-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

5: Great Spotted Woodpecker (female)

DSC01870-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

6: Great Spotted Woodpecker (male). I broke my self imposed 'no bird photos on feeders' rule for this absolute stunning bird.

DSC01840-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr
Wow I really like no.1+2. But all great images.

A hazard of being a manual focus nerd lol

Not always ;) :ROFLMAO:

Just I've always shot AF-S - Went to a car meet today & there's a few with focus on the windscreen rather than the front.... :thinking: Then it twigged I done the usual half press focus & then recompose :) Obviously it was refocusing without me realising. I must have been playing with eye AF or something last week & didn't change it.

I might set up M1 for portraits or something. That might be easier & I can have AF-C, Face detect etc all switch on with a turn of the dial.

Not always ;) :ROFLMAO:

Just I've always shot AF-S - Went to a car meet today & there's a few with focus on the windscreen rather than the front.... :thinking: Then it twigged I done the usual half press focus & then recompose :) Obviously it was refocusing without me realising. I must have been playing with eye AF or something last week & didn't change it.

I might set up M1 for portraits or something. That might be easier & I can have AF-C, Face detect etc all switch on with a turn of the dial.
I never use AF-S and use BBF instead which allows me to focus and recompose or use AF-C for tracking without having to worry about changing the focus mode (y) I'm actually trying the think if I've ever changed it from AF-C at all :thinking:

I never use AF-S and use BBF instead which allows me to focus and recompose or use AF-C for tracking without having to worry about changing the focus mode (y) I'm actually trying the think if I've ever changed it from AF-C at all :thinking:

Yeah. I could give that a try. I always used to shoot BBF on Canon 5D2.

I think it used to get confusing though when passing the camera to someone else to use. I think that's why I stopped with Sony.

Another option though thanks :)

Yeah. I could give that a try. I always used to shoot BBF on Canon 5D2.

I think it used to get confusing though when passing the camera to someone else to use. I think that's why I stopped with Sony.

Another option though thanks :)
No-one else ever touches my camera :runaway::LOL:

Back