The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Anyone gone from an A7 III to a RX100V II out of interest?

Just returning from holiday and whilst the A7 was great, I found myself being a bit burdened with the size and weight of it which has made me question downsizing to a compact camera.

I'm by no means a pro photographer, just a hobbyist and this was my first holiday with the A7 III but would be interested in those who maybe have both to know their experience with them.
It's something I've been giving a lot of thought to not to replace an FE camera but I've been considering an RX100 VI as a pocket camera as I feel I'm not taking enough day to day shots like I used to. The mk6 has the advantages that its 200mm range is further than a mobile phone, the 1in sensor offers decent image quality for the size and it can be easily used one handed or with gloves. However what concerns me is how usable the zoom range will be given the 1in sensor isn't as capable at high isos as the bigger sensors and whereas the 24-70mm versions of the camera have a relatively fast aperture to help counter the high iso, the longer range RX100s do not.

The other option I've been considering is an A6500 with the 16-50mm lens which has a sensor much closer in performance to a full frame sensor but even though the lens is compact it still sticks out far more than an RX100 and I don't think you can control the zoom from the body. 85mm is clearly a lot shorter in range than 200m as well.

The bulk of the bigger cameras is irritating but I couldn't replace mine entirely with the RX100 as there's plenty times I'm struggling with dynamic range and high iso noise on the A9 so an RX100 in the same situation likely wouldn't produce usable results.

I go in endless circles deciding whether to go for another camera or not as there's too many I've bought in the past which have been a waste of money and I'm more cautious now. Also my car is also due its service and MOT shortly so will see if it's off to get scrapped or not, I much prefer spending my money on cameras, lenses and bikes than a newer car.

Taking a hyperactive spaniel who managed to release the brake on his lead when tied up definitely didn't help when he jumped into me during a burst sequence....

y4mVv3CPSCc-BrgxRXCm3DmpGp8gbIMpoL6PwIRp6dXPi0lv38pGWIydhBJ55U6s3c-Rg7ljT8tWtAz4gzaX9CByxS2ElOh97pgrV9BXSCkmrI06_mSiQcwnkJ1Tyh1Dl6qjKRTctFlohxnMOls6ywuJfeEjZ_EqrXT-JYHdUGVeN6xSnRj9gPYljUqH-eLtVmv

It's something I've been giving a lot of thought to not to replace an FE camera but I've been considering an RX100 VI as a pocket camera as I feel I'm not taking enough day to day shots like I used to. The mk6 has the advantages that its 200mm range is further than a mobile phone, the 1in sensor offers decent image quality for the size and it can be easily used one handed or with gloves. However what concerns me is how usable the zoom range will be given the 1in sensor isn't as capable at high isos as the bigger sensors and whereas the 24-70mm versions of the camera have a relatively fast aperture to help counter the high iso, the longer range RX100s do not.

The other option I've been considering is an A6500 with the 16-50mm lens which has a sensor much closer in performance to a full frame sensor but even though the lens is compact it still sticks out far more than an RX100 and I don't think you can control the zoom from the body. 85mm is clearly a lot shorter in range than 200m as well.

The bulk of the bigger cameras is irritating but I couldn't replace mine entirely with the RX100 as there's plenty times I'm struggling with dynamic range and high iso noise on the A9 so an RX100 in the same situation likely wouldn't produce usable results.

I go in endless circles deciding whether to go for another camera or not as there's too many I've bought in the past which have been a waste of money and I'm more cautious now. Also my car is also due its service and MOT shortly so will see if it's off to get scrapped or not, I much prefer spending my money on cameras, lenses and bikes than a newer car.

Taking a hyperactive spaniel who managed to release the brake on his lead when tied up definitely didn't help when he jumped into me during a burst sequence....

y4mVv3CPSCc-BrgxRXCm3DmpGp8gbIMpoL6PwIRp6dXPi0lv38pGWIydhBJ55U6s3c-Rg7ljT8tWtAz4gzaX9CByxS2ElOh97pgrV9BXSCkmrI06_mSiQcwnkJ1Tyh1Dl6qjKRTctFlohxnMOls6ywuJfeEjZ_EqrXT-JYHdUGVeN6xSnRj9gPYljUqH-eLtVmv
I've been considering the Rx100 VI for a while despite my disappointment in using these 1" compacts in the past. The main reason is to take it out alongside my A9ii in case I want to take shots where I need more reach. That way I can have the 16-35mm and then the RX100 for reach and it would save me having to carry a heavy-ish lens and swapping them over. However, I'm not prepared to pay £850 for a compact camera, and whenever I look it's out of stock at Panamoz and E-infinity.

I have a good friend with an RX100 series camera (don't know which model) and for lower light levels the quality really isn't there. Fine for snaps in good lighting though.

I have a good friend with an RX100 series camera (don't know which model) and for lower light levels the quality really isn't there. Fine for snaps in good lighting though.

I'd agree, I have a ZV-1 which I occassionally take out to supplement my main camera, its good in good light, but start pushing things and the IQ disappears.

@snerkler, you could try changing your approach/mindset a bit, just take out the one lens and work with it, after a few go's you'll find that you are starting to see shots that you would have missed before, and won't miss the flexibility of taking a full focal length range in your bag. I often go out with a single lens (often a prime), I never miss other focal lengths (other than perhaps to make a mental note for a re-visit), and often find it 'forces' me to be more creative and I start exploring compositions.

Last edited:
It's something I've been giving a lot of thought to not to replace an FE camera but I've been considering an RX100 VI as a pocket camera as I feel I'm not taking enough day to day shots like I used to.

I don't think 1" sensor cameras can provide good enough image quality when you start to look closely or hit the higher ISO's.

I mostly like primes and that does help to keep the bulk and weight down and if you could manage with a "standard" prime an RF style MFT or APS-C camera could be a good choice if you pick a compact combination. A couple of combinations I use are Panasonic GX80 and 14mm f2.5 *28mm equiv) and GM5 and 20mm f1.7 (40mm equiv) but the GM5 is long discontinued now. I don't know what pancake lenses are available for the Sony A6xxx and there's always the Fuji X100 line with its 35mm equivalent lens.

There are MFT and APS-C cameras which give you better IQ than a 1" sensor and they can be compact but the catch is that to keep the compact nature you might have to go with a pancake prime or possibly a f3.5-5.6 standard range zoom.

Last edited:
I don't think 1" sensor cameras can provide good enough image quality when you start to look closely or hit the higher ISO's.

I mostly like primes and that does help to keep the bulk and weight down and if you could manage with a "standard" prime an RF style MFT or APS-C camera could be a good choice if you pick a compact combination. A couple of combinations I use are Panasonic GX80 and 14mm f2.5 *28mm equiv) and GM5 and 20mm f1.7 (40mm equiv) but the GM5 is long discontinued now. I don't know what pancake lenses are available for the Sony A6xxx and there's always the Fuji X100 line with its 35mm equivalent lens.

There are MFT and APS-C cameras which give you better IQ than a 1" sensor and they can be compact but the catch is that to keep the compact nature you might have to go with a pancake prime or possibly a f3.5-5.6 standard range zoom.
I previously used a micro 4/3 camera with a 14mm pancake prime and still have the RX1r with the 35mm lens but while they have their uses I find they're too inflexible for just a general pocket camera and when the first RX100 came out, it was a big improvement given it was both smaller and offered a bit of zoom.

I previously used a micro 4/3 camera with a 14mm pancake prime and still have the RX1r with the 35mm lens but while they have their uses I find they're too inflexible for just a general pocket camera and when the first RX100 came out, it was a big improvement given it was both smaller and offered a bit of zoom.

I'm afraid that in this hobby there are compromises and image quality and zoom range flexibility often come at a cost of increased bulk and weight so It's up to each of us to decide which way to go. I do find that my 1" compact (Panasonic TZ100) can give good enough image quality for whole image viewing if conditions are good but as above the further you move into pushing the envelope or pixel peeping then the more the limitations will show.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that none of these options are trouser or shirt pocketable for me and the best I can hope for it that the smaller options will fit in a coat pocket but if that's not comfortable and the camera has to go in a bag I might as well take my A7 and a small prime. But that's only me and I am mostly happy with a small prime.

Good luck making your choice. If you can stop yourself from pixel peeping and are mostly going to take pictures in light that isn't too challenging then a 1" sensor camera may be a good option. Another way to go is my way :D Have a 1" sensor for the days when a bigger one isn't suitable and have a larger camera for the days when you are willing to put up with it.

Last edited:
It's not so much comparing a 1in sensor against larger sensor but comparing it against a phone sensor as that's what it's going up against so while it may not compare well to bigger sensors, it's still much better than the phone can do.

It's not so much comparing a 1in sensor against larger sensor but comparing it against a phone sensor as that's what it's going up against so while it may not compare well to bigger sensors, it's still much better than the phone can do.

Well there you go then :D

I'd agree, I have a ZV-1 which I occassionally take out to supplement my main camera, its good in good light, but start pushing things and the IQ disappears.

@snerkler, you could try changing your approach/mindset a bit, just take out the one lens and work with it, after a few go's you'll find that you are starting to see shots that you would have missed before, and won't miss the flexibility of taking a full focal length range in your bag. I often go out with a single lens (often a prime), I never miss other focal lengths (other than perhaps to make a mental note for a re-visit), and often find it 'forces' me to be more creative and I start exploring compositions.
I do often take out a single lens, but when I'm out dog walking etc and just looking for general snaps I often wish that I'd got more flexibility.
I've been impressed with the iPhone 14 pro and in many scenarios it's been comparable to my m4/3. That being said it has to be shot is raw, and all apple ProRaw turned off in LR otherwise it has the typical overbaked phone appearance.

I've been impressed with the iPhone 14 pro and in many scenarios it's been comparable to my m4/3. That being said it has to be shot is raw, and all apple ProRaw turned off in LR otherwise it has the typical overbaked phone appearance.
I like the phone camera's out of camera quality but not so much if I want to process it my way although the bigger issue is I can't easily use it one handed so I just end up using it less. I think the obvious answer here is just to start using the RX100mk4 again and see if I do actually use it more regularly.

I do often take out a single lens, but when I'm out dog walking etc and just looking for general snaps I often wish that I'd got more flexibility.

Thats the problem ;) , look for compositions for the lens that you have!!!! After a while you will become tuned to that focal length and you won't miss other focal lengths. I'm possibly extreme in this, I know that I enjoy 24mm-50mm FF equivalent, so in my two systems, all my lenses bar one fall into this range. The only lens I have outside this is a longer focal length zoom which I bought purely for motorsport, it rarely goes out the house for any other reason.

Thats the problem ;) , look for compositions for the lens that you have!!!! After a while you will become tuned to that focal length and you won't miss other focal lengths. I'm possibly extreme in this, I know that I enjoy 24mm-50mm FF equivalent, so in my two systems, all my lenses bar one fall into this range. The only lens I have outside this is a longer focal length zoom which I bought purely for motorsport, it rarely goes out the house for any other reason.
When I had Fuji my favourite lens and focal length for street and general use was the 23mm f1.4 (35mm FF), now i've got the 35mm GM I just can't get on with it, I know it's a mental issue but i've tried very hard and it just isn't happening.

I like the phone camera's out of camera quality but not so much if I want to process it my way although the bigger issue is I can't easily use it one handed so I just end up using it less. I think the obvious answer here is just to start using the RX100mk4 again and see if I do actually use it more regularly.
Oh it's far from perfect, and I really don't enjoy taking photos with a phone, but it's OK to use on the odd occasion (y)
Yeah I get what you're saying, but at the same time you may see a shot that you want but you don't have the option to take it (y)

When I had Fuji my favourite lens and focal length for street and general use was the 23mm f1.4 (35mm FF), now i've got the 35mm GM I just can't get on with it, I know it's a mental issue but i've tried very hard and it just isn't happening.

That can be many things, size/weight/lens operation or just rendering. I could never get on with 50mm equivalent on a 3:2 sensor, but on my GFX 4:3 I love it (GF63mm) - so I get what you are saying.

Yeah I get what you're saying, but at the same time you may see a shot that you want but you don't have the option to take it (y)

But there are always alternative shots to be taken, which you may not have considered, as you a rueing the inability to take the shot for the lens you don't have. I do understand what you are saying, but it is just a case of brain retraining, it takes time, but IMO its worth it. Don't beat yourself up for focal length thats not in your bag

Oh it's far from perfect, and I really don't enjoy taking photos with a phone, but it's OK to use on the odd occasion (y)

There could be the option to crop.

I know a lot of people resist cropping and prefer to get the framing they want in the camera but unless you want to print very large a crop from a modern camera might be perfectly ok. Cropping could be one way if keeping the kit size down unless you're going to extremes like birds.

I will admit, I do prefer 40mm to 35mm generally. I know it sounds stupid being so close but that's why my 35GM and CV40 are in constant battle with each other.

But there are always alternative shots to be taken, which you may not have considered, as you a rueing the inability to take the shot for the lens you don't have. I do understand what you are saying, but it is just a case of brain retraining, it takes time, but IMO its worth it. Don't beat yourself up for focal length thats not in your bag
Yeah I totally understand, but what I'm saying is that you might see something interesting in the distance such as a building, animal etc etc and there's no way of getting closer and there's no alternative shot, you either take it or you don't (y) There are many times I've gone out with my 16-35mm and wished I'd taken the 24-70mm but I've just found an alternative shot as you say.
There could be the option to crop.

I know a lot of people resist cropping and prefer to get the framing they want in the camera but unless you want to print very large a crop from a modern camera might be perfectly ok. Cropping could be one way if keeping the kit size down unless you're going to extremes like birds.
I do often crop for that reason (y)

Great shots. Love this first one though. The contrast of the almost silhouetted cranes against the bright colourful and sort of misty looking city background. Insanely sharp too. (y)

1: View from Hoi Fai Road Promenade, Tai Kok Tsui, Hong Kong.

DSC04347-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

Great shots. Love this first one though. The contrast of the almost silhouetted cranes against the bright colourful and sort of misty looking city background. Insanely sharp too. (y)

Thanks, much appreciated. (y)

I've not used my Sony gear for a while since I recently bought a different brand of camera that I've been using, but am looking forward to using my a6600 again this week.
These two photos are from 2021 but I've recently re edited them. I also used to be completely unaware (uneducated!) about needing to maintain native aspect ratios when cropping and I would crop in Lightroom with the padlock open creating all sorts of weird looking frame heights and widths. I've now reset these two photos below and put them into correct aspect ratios. I'm going through many early photos and attempting to fix some of those as well.

Urban Chameleon (reworked)
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Megaphone
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Too bloody warm for the big coat :ROFLMAO: Quite busy too which hindered the photography but a very nice city indeed.
We only went a couple of weeks before you and it was freezing and empty :oops: :$

I've not used my Sony gear for a while since I recently bought a different brand of camera that I've been using, but am looking forward to using my a6600 again this week.
These two photos are from 2021 but I've recently re edited them. I also used to be completely unaware (uneducated!) about needing to maintain native aspect ratios when cropping and I would crop in Lightroom with the padlock open creating all sorts of weird looking frame heights and widths. I've now reset these two photos below and put them into correct aspect ratios. I'm going through many early photos and attempting to fix some of those as well.

Urban Chameleon (reworked) by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Megaphone by Merlin 5, on Flickr
What other camera did you buy?

Urban Chameleon (reworked) by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Megaphone by Merlin 5, on Flickr
The second one is really good (first ain't bad either) exactly what I think street photography should be about.
Too many times its just a photo of a person down Brick Lane with no context attached.

The second one is really good (first ain't bad either) exactly what I think street photography should be about.
Too many times its just a photo of a person down Brick Lane with no context attached.
Hi Rich. Thanks, I love trying to find juxtapositions. :) I remember you. You were one of the members, amongst others at TP and of course members of this Sony forum that kindly helped answer some gear questions for me (about tripods I think) when I just started out with photography.

I’ve still not managed to get my hands on the PZ 16-35mm yet to try it out, but as there’s no focal length markings I assume you’ve no idea what the focal length is that’s selected, or does it show in the EVF/LCD like Olympus? If it’s the former I guess you’ve no idea what focal length you’re at when you turn the camera on and if you want 16mm you’ll just have to turn the zoom ring until it stops? I can’t decide whether that’d get irritating or not :thinking:

I’ve still not managed to get my hands on the PZ 16-35mm yet to try it out, but as there’s no focal length markings I assume you’ve no idea what the focal length is that’s selected, or does it show in the EVF/LCD like Olympus? If it’s the former I guess you’ve no idea what focal length you’re at when you turn the camera on and if you want 16mm you’ll just have to turn the zoom ring until it stops? I can’t decide whether that’d get irritating or not :thinking:

It'll show while you are zooming iirc.
I have used it briefly at the Sony Goodwood show last year.
A very nice compact lens to use. Surprisingly light too.
Felt a lot like my 24GM in terms of handling.

Though I am thinking of going down the route of 20-70mm and keeping my 14GM for the odd times I need wider.

It'll show while you are zooming iirc.
I have used it briefly at the Sony Goodwood show last year.
A very nice compact lens to use. Surprisingly light too.
Felt a lot like my 24GM in terms of handling.

Though I am thinking of going down the route of 20-70mm and keeping my 14GM for the odd times I need wider.
Thanks. I fancy the 20-70mm too but then the Pz 16-35mm for when I want wider as it’s small and light. Whether I’ll ever be able to afford that combo is a different matter.

I actually really like the finish and handling of the Zeiss 24-70mm and 16-35mm and prefered them to the 24-105mm so I'd have to try the G lenses first to see if I like them as much.

Last edited:
The worst part of the 24-105 is the size and weight, and I wish it were smaller. Having said that, after using it at f22 and then running the image through On1 denoise to crisp up detail, I'm quite impressed with it.

The worst part of the 24-105 is the size and weight, and I wish it were smaller. Having said that, after using it at f22 and then running the image through On1 denoise to crisp up detail, I'm quite impressed with it.
No doubting the image quality, I just didn't enjoy using it :(

Thanks. I fancy the 20-70mm too but then the Pz 16-35mm for when I want wider as it’s small and light. Whether I’ll ever be able to afford that combo is a different matter.

I actually really like the finish and handling of the Zeiss 24-70mm and 16-35mm and prefered them to the 24-105mm so I'd have to try the G lenses first to see if I like them as much.

Zeiss lens ascetics are rather nice indeed. I do like them very much too but Sony have since stopped making ziess lenses.
they have basically replaced all of them on FF. Last one being the 50mm f1.4.
Only "current" zeiss lenses I can think of are on APS-C, 24mm f1.8 and 16-70mm which are both older than FF lenses.

Basically my point is might as well get used to not having Zeiss style lenses.

Why not got for a 12-24mm and 20-70mm style combination? that way you have longer coverage.

Zeiss lens ascetics are rather nice indeed. I do like them very much too but Sony have since stopped making ziess lenses.
Only "current" zeiss lenses I can think of are on APS-C, 24mm f1.8 and 16-70mm which are both older than FF lenses.

Why not got for a 12-24mm and 20-70mm style combination? that way you have longer coverage.
Wondering whether Zeiss are gradually pulling away from mirrorless lenses - the Batis and Loxia lineups are great but quite old now, they’ve not released anything for a long time.

The 12-24 is heavier and I’m not sure I’d use something that wide. The other thing is I do often go out with just one lens and I think the 16-35mm is more usable for me (y)

Back