The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Noticed today that the price of used A9II’s has come down significantly
Interesting, mine will be worth peanuts then :( Looks like it's been going down for quite some time. That being said it's still listed quite a bit more on Panamoz than what I paid :banana:

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 13.25.34.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, it doesn't look like my desired camera has gone down in price at all since its launch (not too long ago)
A7IV? It did drop under £2k for a little while, not sure why that was. It does take a while for cameras to drop significantly in the UK.

Bought my A7IV new from LCE on offer last year just after release. A very nice camera, probably best overall Sony FF camera.
I also got 3 £100 cashback voucher codes for lenses. I have used two of those so far.
Overall works out cheaper than smuggling grey imports.
Better than the A1?

MPB have a lot of A9II's at circa £2100-2300, last time I looked before Xmas it was closer to £3k, seems an incredible drop all of a sudden. Then again there's been A9's going for £1500.

I bought my A7IV from the Cameraworld show at Brands Hatch for £2k, they also gave me £1500 for my A7R III plus Sony were running a promotion that meant you could buy the 40mm f2.5 for £250 if bought with the camera. I sold that for £400 on eBay.

from price perspective yes.

Its not low res with decent room for cropping, its got good dynamic range and ISO performance, decent "affordable" price, latest AF bits (though I haven't used A7RV).
Ahh that's different, yes very good bang for buck. Slow sensor readout and no blackout free shooting are deal breakers for me. Not sure the lack of drive dial would be a deal breaker but it'd certainly be a consideration.

Of course, we all value things differently (y)

I know this may be a biased thread, but I am currently trying to decide between a Fuji X-T30 or an A6600 as a travel camera (my 5diii is too big). Anyone have any experience between the two. I would likely pair with a 35mm (ff equivalent) or a 24-105 (ff equivalent).

I already have plenty of EF lenses for the 5Diii, so I'm not looking to invest into a full system for a good few years yet (and then it could be Sony or Canon FF, or Medium Format) so I'm not necessarily looking for long term lens compatibility and being able to use adapters for my 70-200 etc.

Just need small, relatively light, IBIS is an advantage but not a requirement (or OIS on a lens option). Thoughts from anyone who has used or compared both would be appreciated.

Thanks

MPB have a lot of A9II's at circa £2100-2300, last time I looked before Xmas it was closer to £3k, seems an incredible drop all of a sudden. Then again there's been A9's going for £1500.

I bought my A7IV from the Cameraworld show at Brands Hatch for £2k, they also gave me £1500 for my A7R III plus Sony were running a promotion that meant you could buy the 40mm f2.5 for £250 if bought with the camera. I sold that for £400 on eBay.
That's a fantastic deal.
I paid £2120 for mine but they gave me £1850 for A7RIV trade in. No one else was offering that much at the time. So I went with it.

I know this may be a biased thread, but I am currently trying to decide between a Fuji X-T30 or an A6600 as a travel camera (my 5diii is too big). Anyone have any experience between the two. I would likely pair with a 35mm (ff equivalent) or a 24-105 (ff equivalent).

I already have plenty of EF lenses for the 5Diii, so I'm not looking to invest into a full system for a good few years yet (and then it could be Sony or Canon FF, or Medium Format) so I'm not necessarily looking for long term lens compatibility and being able to use adapters for my 70-200 etc.

Just need small, relatively light, IBIS is an advantage but not a requirement (or OIS on a lens option). Thoughts from anyone who has used or compared both would be appreciated.

Thanks
Been waiting forever for Sony to update their APS-C body just for this reason :rolleyes:
I am looking for newer more resolution sensor and USH-II card slot at the minimum.

But the glass options on Sony is just amazing from size to performance perspective.

UWA - 10-20mm f4, 15mm f1.4 or 11mm f1.8 - all incredibly small, light and sharp
Mid zoom - 16-55mm f2.8, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, Sony 16-70mm f4, tamron 17-70mm f2.8 - some smaller than others but options are available.
Telezoom - Sony 70-350mm - this lens is just amazing, been using it as my travel lens on A7IV in crop mode. I'd buy into Sony APS-C just for this lens alone (assuming you need/want a telephoto).

Fuji unfortunately don't have majority of the above options in the same or comparable sizes. Fuji lenses are bigger/heavier which isn't ideal for my travel needs.

Last edited:

Thanks
Have you considered m4/3, great set of lenses that are generally smaller and lighter than APS-C systems. I have a love hate relationship with Fuji so struggle to recommend them.

Ahh that's different, yes very good bang for buck. Slow sensor readout and no blackout free shooting are deal breakers for me. Not sure the lack of drive dial would be a deal breaker but it'd certainly be a consideration.

Of course, we all value things differently (y)
I'm the same and I'm so used to the A9 you forget how good the silent, blackout free shooting is but when I go back to the D750 (I still use it for flash stuff and a number of lenses I don't use enough to justify buying for Sony) I'm reminded how good the A9 shooting is.

Have you considered m4/3, great set of lenses that are generally smaller and lighter than APS-C systems. I have a love hate relationship with Fuji so struggle to recommend them.
unfortunately highest res you get is 24mp.
Their AF isn't as good apart from may be on the latest OM1 which has a 20mp sensor.
Dynamic range is lower and ISO performance not as good as APS-C. Buying faster glass to compensate for this will make it as large as APS-C/FF.
All in all doesn't work out for me personally as my only travel option.

Works nicely for my missus though but I am hoping to have one system if possible. Hence looking at Sony APS-C.

You need to overcome this, i'm tempted to buy one and take you out for a day and let you shoot with it followed by an editing session without worms :ROFLMAO:

unfortunately highest res you get is 24mp.
Their AF isn't as good apart from may be on the latest OM1 which has a 20mp sensor.
Dynamic range is lower and ISO performance not as good as APS-C. Buying faster glass to compensate for this will make it as large as APS-C/FF.
All in all doesn't work out for me personally as my only travel option.

Works nicely for my missus though but I am hoping to have one system if possible. Hence looking at Sony APS-C.
All true points but some of my best shots were taken with Olympus and rarely was limited by DR and ISO performance on my travels. The ISO issue you can sometimes overcome as I could fairly easily handhold 24mm eq at 1s, and if I was having a good day I could handhold at 2s (y) YMMV
You need to overcome this, i'm tempted to buy one and take you out for a day and let you shoot with it followed by an editing session without worms :ROFLMAO:
Haha, worms have not been an issue with Fuji for a looooong time now ;)

Thanks
I have the earlier A6000 as my travel camera - in a small shoulder bag (9"x7"x6") I have the camera with the 16-50 kit lens, the 55-210 kit lens, and the 35 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.8 primes - all 4 lenses have OSS. I also have a little MK-320 flash (it's a half-size 2AA flash), plus a couple of spare batteries, and a few other little bits and pieces.
The A6600 has IBIS, so you could equally go with a set of 3rd party lenses (the Sigma APS-C f/1.4 primes are well regarded, and there are a few choices for alternatives to the kit lens, depending on budget).
I like it a lot - it's large enough to use as a 'real' camera (I was originally looking at the Sony RX100, but when I tried one it was just too small to hold and use the controls comfortably), but small enough to fit in a coat pocket (that's with the 16-50, which collapses down to half it's size when powered off).

Been waiting forever for Sony to update their APS-C body just for this reason :rolleyes:
I am looking for newer more resolution sensor and USH-II card slot at the minimum.

But the glass options on Sony is just amazing from size to performance perspective.

UWA - 10-20mm f4, 15mm f1.4 or 11mm f1.8 - all incredibly small, light and sharp
Mid zoom - 16-55mm f2.8, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, Sony 16-70mm f4, tamron 17-70mm f2.8 - some smaller than others but options are available.
Telezoom - Sony 70-350mm - this lens is just amazing, been using it as my travel lens on A7IV in crop mode. I'd buy into Sony APS-C just for this lens alone (assuming you need/want a telephoto).

Fuji unfortunately don't have majority of the above options in the same or comparable sizes. Fuji lenses are bigger/heavier which isn't ideal for my travel needs.

Thanks. The mid range zooms are my most likely target. The xx-70 would likely work for me on the crop sensor.

I did but was less keen on the body options to be honest. Unless you can recommend something ina similar size/footprint of the sony/fuji offering.

I have the earlier A6000 as my travel camera - in a small shoulder bag (9"x7"x6") I have the camera with the 16-50 kit lens, the 55-210 kit lens, and the 35 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.8 primes - all 4 lenses have OSS. I also have a little MK-320 flash (it's a half-size 2AA flash), plus a couple of spare batteries, and a few other little bits and pieces.
The A6600 has IBIS, so you could equally go with a set of 3rd party lenses (the Sigma APS-C f/1.4 primes are well regarded, and there are a few choices for alternatives to the kit lens, depending on budget).
I like it a lot - it's large enough to use as a 'real' camera (I was originally looking at the Sony RX100, but when I tried one it was just too small to hold and use the controls comfortably), but small enough to fit in a coat pocket (that's with the 16-50, which collapses down to half it's size when powered off).

I considered an RX10 but felt similar to you in that the A6xxx was the goldilocks size to be small enough but not feel too small.

If you're happy with the image quality of the 5DIII but want something smaller I agree with snerkler about taking a look at Micro Four Thirds. The bodies may not offer a lot of bulk or weight saving over a XT30 but the lenses can be very compact and that could bring the size of the camera and lens package down quite a bit.

On image quality, I know dynamic range isn't everything but looking at a comparison site the Panasonic GX9 (a RF style camera) gives a stop extra DR over the 5DIII and the G100 (a mini SLR style camera) has about a stop and a half advantage over the Canon. Focus tracking may not be top notch but other than that these cameras when used with a fast acting lens focus on a subject at pretty much lightening speed.

I think MFT is at least worth a quick look. I often use an Olympus 17mm f1.8 on mine for a 35mm equiv field of view, it's a beautifully made lens.

The lack of a second top of camera control and having to use the back control wheel does put me off the Sony APS-C offerings.

Size comparison...

Last edited:
I did but was less keen on the body options to be honest. Unless you can recommend something ina similar size/footprint of the sony/fuji offering
You’ve probably got to look at the EM5-II or EM5-III for a similar size.

I had the EM5-II and then the EM1-II with the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro for travel as it was much lighter and more compact than my FF DSLR system at the time. Image quality was/is excellent and the Olympus Pro lenses are lovely to use and have excellent build quality.

All this being said the EM1-II and 12-40mm (24-80mm eq) isn’t much weight saving over my A9II and 24-70mm f4 and it therefore didn’t make sense to have two systems anymore.

If you're happy with the image quality of the 5DIII but want something smaller I agree with snerkler about taking a look at Micro Four Thirds. The bodies may not offer a lot of bulk or weight saving over a XT30 but the lenses can be very compact and that could bring the size of the camera and lens package down quite a bit.

On image quality, I know dynamic range isn't everything but looking at a comparison site the Panasonic GX9 (a RF style camera) gives a stop extra DR over the 5DIII and the G100 (a mini SLR style camera) has about a stop and a half advantage over the Canon. Focus tracking may not be top notch but other than that these cameras when used with a fast acting lens focus on a subject at pretty much lightening speed.

I think MFT is at least worth a quick look. I often use an Olympus 17mm f1.8 on mine for a 35mm equiv field of view, it's a beautifully made lens.

The lack of a second top of camera control and having to use the back control wheel does put me off the Sony APS-C offerings.

Size comparison...

You’ve probably got to look at the EM5-II or EM5-III for a similar size.

I had the EM5-II and then the EM1-II with the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro for travel as it was much lighter and more compact than my FF DSLR system at the time. Image quality was/is excellent and the Olympus Pro lenses are lovely to use and have excellent build quality.

All this being said the EM1-II and 12-40mm (24-80mm eq) isn’t much weight saving over my A9II and 24-70mm f4 and it therefore didn’t make sense to have two systems anymore.

Thanks both, I'll give them both a look and see what I think compared to the Aps-c offerings.

Voigtlander announce a 50mm f1 for Canon. I assume this is the same lens they announced for Nikon recently and which was originally announced in M mount.

As Voigtlander have previously announced E mount lenses (I have three of them) I wonder why we've seen Nikon and Canon versions of this lens but so far no Sony one? I wonder if Cosina and Sony have had some sort of fall out or I suppose it's possible that a Sony mount lens announcement has been delayed for some reason?

This lens has had very good review in M mount.

That's a fantastic deal.
I paid £2120 for mine but they gave me £1850 for A7RIV trade in. No one else was offering that much at the time. So I went with it.

I wasn't aware you could trade your old camera bodies in for such good prices with professional retailers. You bought the A7IV used I guess? I'm tempted to pull the trigger and get onboard of the A7IV train in the next couple of weeks just so that I get to learn to use it properly before the summer holidays.

I wasn't aware you could trade your old camera bodies in for such good prices with professional retailers. You bought the A7IV used I guess? I'm tempted to pull the trigger and get onboard of the A7IV train in the next couple of weeks just so that I get to learn to use it properly before the summer holidays.
mine was new. I got one the first bodies LCE got in the UK.

Since I bought it at an event there were offers on various Sony gear. Luckily the event was the day after the shipment of the A7IV arrived at LCE.

Plus I got 3 £100 cashback vouchers from Sony and 2 years extended warranty. You can stack these vouchers on top of offers and winter cashback too. I have used two of them. So it's as good as basically getting £200 off for me.

So all in all its cheaper than grey and I've been able use the body from day 1.

mine was new. I got one the first bodies LCE got in the UK.

Since I bought it at an event there were offers on various Sony gear. Luckily the event was the day after the shipment of the A7IV arrived at LCE.

Plus I got 3 £100 cashback vouchers from Sony and 2 years extended warranty. You can stack these vouchers on top of offers and winter cashback too. I have used two of them. So it's as good as basically getting £200 off for me.

So all in all its cheaper than grey and I've been able use the body from day 1.
That was a cracking deal. I wish I could get a similar one.

That was a cracking deal. I wish I could get a similar one.
You can get it again just need to keep an eye out for Sony events etc
Also I do majority of my business with LCE so I know a few branch managers. So I can haggle for better rates than RRP.
It pays to build relationships with shops here.
Of course you can go down the route of grey but personally I'm not keen but I understand not everyone has the same feelings as me towards it.

Back