The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You can get it again just need to keep an eye out for Sony events etc
Also I do majority of my business with LCE so I know a few branch managers. So I can haggle for better rates than RRP.
It pays to build relationships with shops here.
Of course you can go down the route of grey but personally I'm not keen but I understand not everyone has the same feelings as me towards it.
Will do, do they happen annually or more frequently? I guess other branches hold similar events with discounted gear? If money wasn't an issue, I'd much prefer build a relationship with local retailers as well. I didn't know it was possible to get such discounted prices compared to RRP outside of big sales like Black Friday etc. I'm still a newbie in the field :D

Will do, do they happen annually or more frequently? I guess other branches hold similar events with discounted gear? If money wasn't an issue, I'd much prefer build a relationship with local retailers as well. I didn't know it was possible to get such discounted prices compared to RRP outside of big sales like Black Friday etc. I'm still a newbie in the field :D
I used to have decent relationship with my nearest retailer but for a few years now there’s no incentive for their regulars and trade in prices are poor on the whole, shame really. Or maybe it’s just me they don’t like :LOL:

I wasn't aware you could trade your old camera bodies in for such good prices with professional retailers. You bought the A7IV used I guess? I'm tempted to pull the trigger and get onboard of the A7IV train in the next couple of weeks just so that I get to learn to use it properly before the summer holidays.
You can't, their trade in prices are usually derisory, occasionally the manufacturer will subsidise the deal with a "trade in bonus" but in my experience the dealer then lowers their offer to try and pinch a bit more margin.

I used to have decent relationship with my nearest retailer but for a few years now there’s no incentive for their regulars and trade in prices are poor on the whole, shame really. Or maybe it’s just me they don’t like :LOL:
They know you won't buy anything that blacks out the EVF so you're probably nicknamed Blackout Boy :ROFLMAO:

Some stores like Wex that used to value regular and return customers have decided to go with a hardline of no haggling and no special treatment etc.
LCE is still really good to deal with and they give me decent offers from time to time.

Money is always an issue especially with an expensive hobby such as this. Especially in hard time such as these, I'd just say do whatever is best for you.

Events are on at various times in the year. There are also shows like the photography show in Birmingham for example that used to have good deals.
Of course with most of these events you need to travel too unless you are lucky to be very close by.

The event I visit annually is the Goodwood event that LCE organises with Sony. Its normally in summer and its generally great place to go practice panning. They also have a model on set where you can try out their latest lenses and also practice your portraits. So I got to try out all the new glass here. Kinda makes it worth for me overall since I improve my photography a little, may be find a good deal or two and I get to try new gear for free.
Shows like the one in Birmingham doesn't offer me much outside the deals themselves so I personally avoid those but there are others that enjoy it and enjoy the networking etc.

You can't, their trade in prices are usually derisory, occasionally the manufacturer will subsidise the deal with a "trade in bonus" but in my experience the dealer then lowers their offer to try and pinch a bit more margin.

I normally get around the same price by trading in as as they sell for on here tbh.
If you want to get more than trade in prices, evilbay is the way to go.

Some stores like Wex that used to value regular and return customers have decided to go with a hardline of no haggling and no special treatment etc.
LCE is still really good to deal with and they give me decent offers from time to time.

Money is always an issue especially with an expensive hobby such as this. Especially in hard time such as these, I'd just say do whatever is best for you.

Events are on at various times in the year. There are also shows like the photography show in Birmingham for example that used to have good deals.
Of course with most of these events you need to travel too unless you are lucky to be very close by.

The event I visit annually is the Goodwood event that LCE organises with Sony. Its normally in summer and its generally great place to go practice panning. They also have a model on set where you can try out their latest lenses and also practice your portraits. So I got to try out all the new glass here. Kinda makes it worth for me overall since I improve my photography a little, may be find a good deal or two and I get to try new gear for free.
Shows like the one in Birmingham doesn't offer me much outside the deals themselves so I personally avoid those but there are others that enjoy it and enjoy the networking etc.
I wish LCE did something closer to me like Donington, although I did do one of their Sony days and Hawkeye Birds of Prey centre where I got to try out the big primes :cool:

Ok, events seem more fun than what I initially (and wrongfully) thought. I'll try to attend one nearby if I can this Spring/Summer.

Ok, events seem more fun than what I initially (and wrongfully) thought. I'll try to attend one nearby if I can this Spring/Summer.
Some events are better than others, and some stores charge you for attending so just check what they’re offering.

Some events are better than others, and some stores charge you for attending so just check what they’re offering.
Sure thing. Do most events allow people to test a variety of camera equipment or is the gear to be tested usually quite limited? Also, nandbytes deal aside, what kind of deals can we expect from these? A few hundreds shaved off for a camera body or/and some vouchers for other gear?
I'm just asking out of curiosity but I will most likely get something on the secondary if I get a good deal. The goal is to snatch a used A7 IV for ~£1700-1800.

Sure thing. Do most events allow people to test a variety of camera equipment or is the gear to be tested usually quite limited? Also, nandbytes deal aside, what kind of deals can we expect from these? A few hundreds shaved off for a camera body or/and some vouchers for other gear?
I'm just asking out of curiosity but I will most likely get something on the secondary if I get a good deal. The goal is to snatch a used A7 IV for ~£1700-1800.
Usually there's lots of equipment to try. The last Sony one I went on had every lens in the Sony lineup, and several of a number of them too. They also had every one of the latest bodies to try. They were offering deals but as I was not in a position to buy I didn't pursue it further.

The A7 IV can be had £2k grey, and you can currently get mint boxed used for £2k. This is a good site to check used

And the mint boxed one

Whether you'll be able to haggle anything off that I don't know. In the past you used to be able to haggle quite easily, but over the years they've got less and less negotiable. Panamoz will often give you some discount. I'm not going to get into the whole ethics of grey imports, folk should be able to make their own minds up on this one ;)

Just ordered a Tammy 70-180mm III to fill a void in my lens line-up. Second hand from mpb, so perhaps not the cheapest to be had.

I've just received something... and it's quite nice :D
Go on, spill the beans. Seems like it's Christmas again for the Sony people

Go on, spill the beans. Seems like it's Christmas again for the Sony people

haha.

Believe me, it's something that (probably) wont appeal to anyone else in this thread.

And... We're forecast plummeting temperatures and snow next week. I wonder if it'll happen? We haven't had a good snow fall for quite some time so it'd be nice to get some snow scene pictures.

Last edited:
Manny buys a Helios 85mm f1.5...

I've just checked evil bay and there are a couple of silver ones available.

Who's getting one?

Last edited:
Any news on the Sony A7IV firmware update? Does anybody know

Any news on the Sony A7IV firmware update? Does anybody know
Nope, last one was November last year. I've been waiting to see if they'll do one for the A9ii but the last one was 2021 so I doubt anything's coming now :(

I had that lens for a while, very nice lens.
It was either that or a Sigma 85mm f/1,4 DG DN, however I found with my Sony 85mm f/1.8 that the opportunities for use were limited and the 70-180mm will certainly be more flexible.

It was either that or a Sigma 85mm f/1,4 DG DN, however I found with my Sony 85mm f/1.8 that the opportunities for use were limited and the 70-180mm will certainly be more flexible.

I have the Tamron 70-180/2.8 - a very nice lens imo for it's size, weight & even price. Often out with me alongside the 35GM/CV40

Guys, I currently have one of these. In the A7Riii........!!

What is the recommended card please esp for high speed continuous bursts?? I know I need something bigger too!

s-l500.jpg

What is the recommended card please esp for high speed continuous bursts?? I know I need something bigger too!

s-l500.jpg
Sandisk extreme pro UHS-II (if your camera can do UHS II), Lexar or Manfrotto are all cards I've used without issue (y)

Sandisk extreme pro UHS-II (if your camera can do UHS II), Lexar or Manfrotto are all cards I've used without issue (y)

iirc one of the slots is UHS-II in the Riii.

Thanks.

This 16gB is what I had in the A7. I swapped it over into the Riii & stuck an old 8gB in the A7. Then aurora night last week I shot with the A7, a timelapse & ran out of memory :rolleyes::headbang: Luckily I got enough, but still......

If I get a really good, fast card for the Riii I can have a few spares then just in case.

s-l500.jpg

I *think it will only make a difference for the buffer the clearing rather than the burst speed. I could easily be wrong :ROFLMAO:

Thanks.

This 16gB is what I had in the A7. I swapped it over into the Riii & stuck an old 8gB in the A7. Then aurora night last week I shot with the A7, a timelapse & ran out of memory :rolleyes::headbang: Luckily I got enough, but still......

If I get a really good, fast card for the Riii I can have a few spares then just in case.
I have literally about 30 old spare SD cards that as far as I know still work absolutely fine, I can have a look what speeds they are and if they're fast enough I can post a couple out if you like? If so what's the minimum speed and capacity you want?

Last edited:
I have literally about 30 old spare SD cards that as far as I know still work absolutely fine, I can have a look what speeds they are and if they're fast enough I can post a couple out if you like? If so what's the minimum speed and capacity you want?

I'm guessing something at least 200mb/s, UHS-I, Class 10 U3, 64GB....??

I'd go with a fast UHS-II in slot 1 and either the same or a UHS-I in slot 2, the Kingston Canvas React Plus UHS-II mentioned here a couple of times is a very good quality card.

Good review of cards here based on A7IV performance but personally i'd still go with a higher spec card on the A7RIII.

I'm surprised at some of the card sizes mentioned here, I use a 256GB and 128GB in the A9 as it can burn through memory cards alarmingly quickly, I know there's the too many eggs in one basket but I've lost more photos to running out of space unexpectedly compared to SD cards failing.

I've got a couple of Lexar 1667 UHS II 64GB cards 250/120mb/s cards if you're interested, all the others are much slower UHS I cards (95mb/s)?

Thanks.

I use these for landscape and astrophotography

You can buy a pair for both card slots and they don't break the bank while still being fast enough for most non-sports/action things.

You can also get 128GB for £20.

I paid £60 each for mine :(
But got mine many years back.

AFAIK they are the fastest UHS-i cards.

Last edited:
Back