The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I don't know what's going on there, it all seems very strange. There's far far less 'sample variation' with cameras than with lenses especially with mirrorless and on sensor AF systems. Sometimes DSLRs did have subtle AF module alignment issue meaning that it would focus more accurately (sharper) on some AF points than others, but again it's not common (although I had it with a D750). I've not personally heard or read about any such issues with mirrorless. I certainly wouldn't avoid buying any mirrorless camera through 'fear' of getting a bad copy.
I haven't seen one either. But there are war zone photographers, auto riggers, drone fliers, accidents, students :LOL:, etc and accidents happen. Sometimes camera gets delivered by my herpes or Amazon. That too :LOL:

Tamron 17-50 f4 just ordered, hopefully it will be here tomorrow
Picked it up this morning. Probably won’t get much of a chance to test it today, but am off work tomorrow and at Southend.
Although the dog is in having X-rays, so the day will probably be dictated by that

Had a go with the Z9 and Sony 400mm F2.8 GM coupled together with the Megadap adapter. No issues with the physical fitment which feels very solid. Focus seems very quick but a little jumpy. I will have to do more tests as the jumpiness could just as easily be my understanding of the Nikon AF. I shot one half with the Z9 and the other with the A1. The first obvious difference is the EVF, the A1 wins hands down. Next up I find the ergonomics of the Sony better in terms of changing setting particularly the AF modes and subject detection. My inexperience of the Nikon system will be part of that though. While I was very impressed with teh Nikon shooting boxing and using Auto area I was far less impressed with Rugby AF. The 3D box is very small and if you have subject detection on it jumps to another players face even quicker than the A1. The custom Af boxes are great but they can't be used with tracking from what I see. I'd love to have the ability to create a focus area and then have it track like the Sony cameras do. Hopefully there will be a nice sports camera next week to mull over but after the first few weeks of the Z9 I am still in the Sony camp at the moment. I'll not make a decision until I have used teh camera far more though and consulted a few mates on how they use AF for field sports

Had a go with the Z9 and Sony 400mm F2.8 GM coupled together with the Megadap adapter. No issues with the physical fitment which feels very solid. Focus seems very quick but a little jumpy. I will have to do more tests as the jumpiness could just as easily be my understanding of the Nikon AF. I shot one half with the Z9 and the other with the A1. The first obvious difference is the EVF, the A1 wins hands down. Next up I find the ergonomics of the Sony better in terms of changing setting particularly the AF modes and subject detection. My inexperience of the Nikon system will be part of that though. While I was very impressed with teh Nikon shooting boxing and using Auto area I was far less impressed with Rugby AF. The 3D box is very small and if you have subject detection on it jumps to another players face even quicker than the A1. The custom Af boxes are great but they can't be used with tracking from what I see. I'd love to have the ability to create a focus area and then have it track like the Sony cameras do. Hopefully there will be a nice sports camera next week to mull over but after the first few weeks of the Z9 I am still in the Sony camp at the moment. I'll not make a decision until I have used teh camera far more though and consulted a few mates on how they use AF for field sports
I had a very short play with the Z9 at WEX and found that subject detect would not work with quite a few of the focus area modes. I just can't see how you can select subjects with the precision you have with the Sony AF system and single spot. I didn't try the 3D AF, and wonder if it can be assigned to a separate button so that you can have different 'BBF modes' depending on the button you hold down like you can with Sony and Canon mirrorless. Ergonomics seemed a big chunky in the grip department - so much so that I felt the dials were difficult to utilise - however it did have a security tether which wasn't helping me properly handle it. Display was beautiful on the back compared to my A9

Does anybody switch between electronic shutter shooting (no flash) to mechanical shutter (with flash) on the Sony A9 with the flash, body mounted? I'm having a lot of trouble switching between both styles of shooting easily. I'm using a Godox TT685s and find that in order to get flash to function after switching to mechanical shutter requires the flash to be turned off, and then on again. Then it takes some time before the flash will actually fire along with the actuation of the shutter. Is this issue isolated to Godox, or do all flashes exhibit this delay on Sony bodies? Surely you can switch between modes simply by assigning the modes to memory recall and without having to cycle the flash on and off every time you want to use it again? The number of times I've been stuck cycling the flash repeatedly when trying to take a group shoot is driving me potty

Last edited:
Here's the issue -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X3g7y4eQN8

Is this a Godox issue only, does anybody use a Sony Flash / Profoto Flash? Can somebody check if the same issue occurs and requires a on / off cycle of the camera or flash to get the flash to fire?

I had a very short play with the Z9 at WEX and found that subject detect would not work with quite a few of the focus area modes. I just can't see how you can select subjects with the precision you have with the Sony AF system and single spot. I didn't try the 3D AF, and wonder if it can be assigned to a separate button so that you can have different 'BBF modes' depending on the button you hold down like you can with Sony and Canon mirrorless. Ergonomics seemed a big chunky in the grip department - so much so that I felt the dials were difficult to utilise - however it did have a security tether which wasn't helping me properly handle it. Display was beautiful on the back compared to my A9
You can assign a BBF button for 3d in the same way as you can with Sony. You can only have one recall button though so not as good as Sony. You can also hand off focus between BBF and teh shutter button. Not sure you can do that with Sony as there is no need. So start on teh shutter in auto area and then go for BBF with 3d. That is what birders do but it is hopeless for team sports as you don't have control what auto af chooses. I actually think teh z9 picks up heads and eyes quicker but it is not as predictable when there are multiple subjects. If they can train a camera to actually recognise a subject and stick with them even if their head dips that will be ideal for team sports. As it is both brands jump to a nearby face when your subjects face is out of view. The back screen is much better but for sports I never use that and only use the EVF. The Sony EVF is a good deal better. I was shooting landscapes the other day and teh screen of the Z9 and its tilt function were a joy to use

Have you tried the Z9 with wildlife, especially birds, and does AF still pick the background up on occasion?

With regards to the AF swapping to subjects more quickly is this not down to the AF ‘stickiness’ setting?

Have you tried the Z9 with wildlife, especially birds, and does AF still pick the background up on occasion?

With regards to the AF swapping to subjects more quickly is this not down to the AF ‘stickiness’ setting?
I moved the stickiness setting but not sure it makes much difference when the subject detection finds something else to detect after losing its initial target. I'll try to do some wildlife but I don't do much with the Sony so hard to compare. I did take the A1 out with the 200-600 earlier this year and it worked really well and was easy to use. All the images were against simple backgrounds though.

Here's the issue -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X3g7y4eQN8

Is this a Godox issue only, does anybody use a Sony Flash / Profoto Flash? Can somebody check if the same issue occurs and requires a on / off cycle of the camera or flash to get the flash to fire?
I thought the A1 was the only Sony that could use electronic shutter with flash. Also Godox have to be switched on in a certain order for them to work.

You can assign a BBF button for 3d in the same way as you can with Sony. You can only have one recall button though so not as good as Sony. You can also hand off focus between BBF and teh shutter button. Not sure you can do that with Sony as there is no need. So start on teh shutter in auto area and then go for BBF with 3d. That is what birders do but it is hopeless for team sports as you don't have control what auto af chooses. I actually think teh z9 picks up heads and eyes quicker but it is not as predictable when there are multiple subjects. If they can train a camera to actually recognise a subject and stick with them even if their head dips that will be ideal for team sports. As it is both brands jump to a nearby face when your subjects face is out of view. The back screen is much better but for sports I never use that and only use the EVF. The Sony EVF is a good deal better. I was shooting landscapes the other day and teh screen of the Z9 and its tilt function were a joy to use

That was one thing I couldn’t get on with with my Canon R6 - the fact it would jump away from my initial subject as soon as the face detect lost its lock. Sony tracking works so much better imo

I thought the A1 was the only Sony that could use electronic shutter with flash. Also Godox have to be switched on in a certain order for them to work.
It’s switching from no flash on electronic shutter, to flash on mechanical shutter that’s the problem. You’re right electronic shutter with flash doesn’t work on the a9

Am I understanding you correctly that you're using an E-mount Sony lens on the Z-mount Nikon? If so, how does it work compared to native performance on a Sony body?

Am I understanding you correctly that you're using an E-mount Sony lens on the Z-mount Nikon? If so, how does it work compared to native performance on a Sony body?
Early days but it works really well. If I was tracking a single subject running then I doubt it would be much different from the A1. I'm hoping to give it a test with a running dog with same lens and A1 and Z9 against each other. If I could find a willing kid or adult to do some runs for me that would be ideal but my kids are now teenagers so would be wanting big bucks for that lol

Nice easy subjects to practice on so threw me self in at the deep end and give it time i'll nail these pesky blighters. Fully aware of the irregularities as i wanted to see in real life the impacts of changes, the focus settings is the one i need to concentrate on.
Unedited jpegs on 200-600 as unable to process the Raws til me new pc arrives.

_DSC0322 by Ben Cheneler, on Flickr

Just something else to add to the list of things their "flagship" A1 doesn't have ;(

I much more interested in lenses than cameras and at the moment it's cheap lenses that catch my eye :D

This isn't particularly cheap and isn't available in Sony mount but I have read good things about it...

As I have the cheap Syoptic 50mm f1.1 and it's good enough for me (and in fact I like it) I'm not in the market for this but I do like reading the reviews.

I struggle to know what else they can add, although I think there's a clue in that it's a world's first feature on any professional sports/wildlife camera and not a world's first on any camera. Has there been focus stacking on a sports camera before? Maybe they're reintroducing the panoramic feature :LOL:

I struggle to know what else they can add, although I think there's a clue in that it's a world's first feature on any professional sports/wildlife camera and not a world's first on any camera. Has there been focus stacking on a sports camera before? Maybe they're reintroducing the panoramic feature :LOL:
I think it will be the second chip for AI focussing that the A7RV has. Z9 has focus stacking albeit not able to process in camera. The second chip would be what the A1 is most missing and if the algorithms continue to refine it will be what takes AF to the next level. Hopefully it will be something even better but that must be in the next stacked sensor camera

24MP Global Shutter for the A9iii :p

I wonder how much value a global shutter adds over having a stacked sensor.
I guess it gets rid of any banding issues, not that there was much of it anyway
No rolling shutter but once again stacked sensors are good enough for that be not an issue.

But it probably completely removes need for a mechanical shutter?

Last edited:
I guess it gets rid of any bending issues, not that there was much of it anyway
No rolling shutter but once again stacked sensors are good enough for that be not an issue.

But I probably completely removes need for a mechanical shutter?
I've never seen a bent camera before :eek: :p

As you say the A1 has made global shutter less relevant but it's still a big step forward one that's sure to take things to the next level. It will be interesting to see how it handles noise, DR etc and how soon they can make a higher res version. I wonder if the A1 II will be on hold until they do?

Not sure I have ever seen any evidence of rolling shutter with the A1 or Z9. I will certainly benefit from faster sync speeds and no banding but until the specs are announced and the reviews start it is hard to know if it will be something I will consider. Assuming the rumour site is correct in the first place. I'd far rather have better autofocus that can keep tracking a subject even if the face is hidden momentarily than a global shutter but both would be good

As you say the A1 has made global shutter less relevant but it's still a big step forward one that's sure to take things to the next level. It will be interesting to see how it handles noise, DR etc and how soon they can make a higher res version. I wonder if the A1 II will be on hold until they do?
Ment to say banding :facepalm:

The noise will be fascinating. If it improved a stop or too that would be massive.

Impressive if true (y)

Everyone's favourite ;-) Andrea Pizzini seems pretty confident on the global shutter. Take from that what you will.

I guess it gets rid of any banding issues, not that there was much of it anyway

But it probably completely removes need for a mechanical shutter?

That seems to be the way things are going. No more failed shutters? Has to be good news.

Not sure I have ever seen any evidence of rolling shutter with the A1 or Z9. I will certainly benefit from faster sync speeds and no banding but until the specs are announced and the reviews start it is hard to know if it will be something I will consider. Assuming the rumour site is correct in the first place. I'd far rather have better autofocus that can keep tracking a subject even if the face is hidden momentarily than a global shutter but both would be good
Yeah, that's kind of what I was saying, the A1 (and Z9) are so good with the electronic shutter now that the 'wow' factor of a global shutter has diminished somewhat. No banding and ability to use with HSS flash will be useful to some though.

Back