The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think I'd be much happier handling the kit in a shop but that means a day trip out probably by taxis and trains as driving there and parking is just more hassle these days.

WEX in Leeds and Newcastle are both out of town stores so easy parking - but you have to check ahead as to what they have in stock - when my step-daughter bought her first R6 we effectively drove past WEX Manchester to go to WEX Leeds, as the Leeds store had all the camera bodies she wanted to try (one was in the used section though, but at least she could try it)

Ergonomics are very important, if it doesn't feel right or you don't enjoy using it, this really taints the experince. I feel for you as I have upgraded in the past and not enjoyed using teh upgrade as muchy as I enjoyed using the previous camera. I'm desperately trying not to repeat that mistake again at the moment!

Last edited:
Love your images in the separate thread, the edit doesn’t work for me as a standalone photo as the car looks like it’s floating.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback (y)

16000th shutter speed maximum with fast aperture lenses is something of a deal breaker. I'd never trust them either to add beyond that via a FW update given their track record with this
Is there a reason why. I just tested my 35mm F1.4 and at F1.8 you can set any shutter speed but if you open up beyond that then as you say restricted to 1/16000 which is slower than the A1 I think. I don't have the technical knowledge to understand but you would think that not having to stop down an aperture would make a cameras life easier

I find I can flip from the A7 to the A7Riii without any issues really. The main difference for me is the joystick for moving the focus point and I also have it set press to focus. So often I'm a bit slower with the A7 for focusing esp with the lens button in use on the A7Riii.

The doors doesn't bother me either way. They are only opened to transfer or for a wired remote very rarely. If anything, with an L bracket, the A7Riii is a bit easier then the hinged A7.

Last edited:
Ahhh..

Alan

You can get a new one here mk1 -Sony A7

EBay seller with 4157 feedbacks rating 98.2%

Jake

Hmmm...

WEX in Leeds and Newcastle are both out of town stores so easy parking - but you have to check ahead as to what they have in stock - when my step-daughter bought her first R6 we effectively drove past WEX Manchester to go to WEX Leeds, as the Leeds store had all the camera bodies she wanted to try (one was in the used section though, but at least she could try it)

Ergonomics are very important, if it doesn't feel right or you don't enjoy using it, this really taints the experince. I feel for you as I have upgraded in the past and not enjoyed using teh upgrade as muchy as I enjoyed using the previous camera. I'm desperately trying not to repeat that mistake again at the moment!

I find I can flip from the A7 to the A7Riii without any issues really. The main difference for me is the joystick for moving the focus point and I also have it set press to focus. So often I'm a bit slower with the A7 for focusing esp with the lens button in use on the A7Riii.

The doors doesn't bother me either way. They are only opened to transfer or for a wired remote very rarely. If anything, with an L bracket, the A7Riii is a bit easier then the hinged A7.

Thanks all.

I'll see if I can get over my obsessiveness over the next day or so.

I'm like this with everything :D

Mrs WW constantly says I'm the only person in the world who notices or cares about these things but at least noticing this stuff allowed me to retire at 49. One good thing :D Many not so good obsessions :D

PS.
I don't know. I obsessed over the Artralab apertures (they still haven't replied to my email) and now over this A7 III. Maybe Mrs WW has a point. I'll try and calm down and be more... normal.

Last edited:
Its not the size of grip I don't like it's the shape of the indent. It forces my middle finger up against what is effectively an end stop and it feels unnatural and uncomfortable for me.

I know the first generation A7's have been critisised for their ergonomics but the A7 just fitted my hand perfectly and going from that to the III is a big change because of the shape of the indent in the grip and I really didn't expect this.

I wasn't going to reply because I am going to sound a like a broken record.... a7C series is the closest you'll get to original A7 despite being RF style
I know because I have owned and used pretty much every generation of A7 cameras and like you I am one of the few people that just liked the original A7 (and yes a lot of it feels backwards to me also)

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 16.21.41.png

I understand there are other things you don't like but you can workaround them but you cannot workaround a physical grip or physical size of the body ;)
anyway I have said my bit, won't bring it up again I promise :LOL:

Last edited:
I wasn't going to reply because I am going to sound a like a broken record.... a7C series is the closest you'll get to original A7 despite being RF style
I know because I have owned and used pretty much every generation of A7 cameras.

View attachment 428298

I understand there are other things you don't like but you can workaround them but you cannot workaround a physical grip or physical size of the body ;)

Sorry but the A7c range is just a complete non starter for me. The shutter speed issue is a biggie as is the lack of physical controls. If they'd do a FF version of the Panasonic GX9 but with a much better evf (the GX9's is criminal) I'd probably have one tomorrow.

I do value your input but these cameras are just not for me as added up their issues would annoy me more than the A7III.

I know we're all different but just out of interest... Which is the most comfortable to hold and use for you?

Last edited:
That's a great picture Simon. Mrs WW would love it too.

Me and Mrs WW are big animal lovers but we don't feel we can own one at the mo. Mrs is in Thailand and is currently talking to a charity but supporting animals that way is all we can do for now.

I know we're all different but just out of interest... Which is the most comfortable to hold and use for you?

like you I am one of the few people that just liked the original A7 (and yes a lot of the newer feels backwards to me also, just not the switch thing in particular)
after the A7, I liked the A7CR but unfortunately the A7CR isn't fully featured :(

I don't mind the other A7 bodies but they are big and I like smaller+lighter bodies.

Last edited:
I think the Panasonic GX9 shows that you can have a small camera with useable physical controls.

Is there a reason why. I just tested my 35mm F1.4 and at F1.8 you can set any shutter speed but if you open up beyond that then as you say restricted to 1/16000 which is slower than the A1 I think. I don't have the technical knowledge to understand but you would think that not having to stop down an aperture would make a cameras life easier

As far as I'm aware you can only shoot at a maximum of 1/16000 when shooting faster than f/1.8. I shoot all day long at weddings wide open and never stop down where possible. I regularly find even 1/8000th is over exposed on bright days at ISO 100, so a base 250 would definitely result in needing more than 1/16000th at times

That said, I'm probably still gonna get one as I've owned an A1 and definitely don't want 60+ MP with the R5

As far as I'm aware you can only shoot at a maximum of 1/16000 when shooting faster than f/1.8. I shoot all day long at weddings wide open and never stop down where possible. I regularly find even 1/8000th is over exposed on bright days at ISO 100, so a base 250 would definitely result in needing more than 1/16000th at times

That said, I'm probably still gonna get one as I've owned an A1 and definitely don't want 60+ MP with the R5
If you want the faster shutter speeds what about using an A1 in mRAW and having 21mp images?

Not sure the A9iii would offer any great advantage over the A1 for weddings. It definitely picks up subjects earlier and smaller in teh frame with eye AF but that isn't usually an issue with weddings.

I know because I have owned and used pretty much every generation of A7 cameras and like you I am one of the few people that just liked the original A7 (and yes a lot of it feels backwards to me also)

View attachment 428298

A7c with the supplied base/grip, is the comfiest camera I've ever heald.

Just set up my A7III and took my first few shots. I was disappointed to see 2 spots visible in the evf at f22 and still there but a bit faded at f16, bit more faded at f11 and gone at f8 but this is just looking in the efv. They may still be visible when looking closely at a picture. I ran the cleaning cycle multiple times and they're still there. I don't want to clean a brand new sensor. I rarely go to these extremes so I'll see how I go but this is disappointing.

Is this normal for a new camera?

A question.
I notice there's an anti flicker mode so I've stuck in the fn menu. Is it any good?

Last edited:
It sounds like you have already decided. If that's the case then just pop it back in the box & return it.

Jumped a few thou images "cough" and tried to do something with the start of the kites but i best come back to these to try and do something with the sky as there aint none on these ones. I have had a quick try on these three in LR but not happy with them so time to brush up a bit. A1 & 200-600
June 2024-202 by Ben Cheneler, on Flickr
June 2024-201 by Ben Cheneler, on Flickr
June 2024-200 by Ben Cheneler, on Flickr

Just set up my A7III and took my first few shots. I was disappointed to see 2 spots visible in the evf at f22 and still there but a bit faded at f16, bit more faded at f11 and gone at f8 but this is just looking in the efv. They may still be visible when looking closely at a picture. I ran the cleaning cycle multiple times and they're still there. I don't want to clean a brand new sensor. I rarely go to these extremes so I'll see how I go but this is disappointing.

Is this normal for a new camera?

A question.
I notice there's an anti flicker mode so I've stuck in the fn menu. Is it any good?
If it's a new new camera then I wouldn't be happy with that and would likely return it if a rocket blower didn't sort it 100%.

I have anti flicker set to a function button but never had to use it.

Curiously, I do get @woof woof preference for the feel of the original A7 - it IS nice and small, which isn't a bad thing for film era lenses at all. Personally I quite like the extra buttons and bulk of the A7III too, especially with modern mirrorless lenses, where the original would be too small to balance (& the A7C much worse).

If it's a new new camera then I wouldn't be happy with that and would likely return it if a rocket blower didn't sort it 100%.

I have anti flicker set to a function button but never had to use it.

It's a long time since I've bought a new camera so I'm just wondering and in fact I did wonder as I ordered it. I'm going to keep it and try not to look at the sensor for a while until I've done some lens changes or I spot contamination in pictures but sadly they are in the upper part of the frame where sky could be. When needed I'll try a rocket or even the dreaded wet clean. My worry is that if I reject this for having two spots the next may have four. These things can happen and as you may have gathered I tend to spot and highlight every little thing.

I'll give anti flicker a try now that it's time to have lights on and try and remember to test it under different lighting when I get the chance.

Curiously, I do get @woof woof preference for the feel of the original A7 - it IS nice and small, which isn't a bad thing for film era lenses at all. Personally I quite like the extra buttons and bulk of the A7III too, especially with modern mirrorless lenses, where the original would be too small to balance (& the A7C much worse).

Grip aside I can't fault the image quality of this III. It seems to be quite easily visibly better than the A7 at higher ISO's before any processing so that's nice. I don't know if this is because of the different and possibly better chip or if it's just doing some unseen NR in camera. If it matters what makes it better.

I've spotted that there's compressed and uncompressed raws so I've tried them both and with the few shots I've taken I can't see any difference in them so I'll use compressed as I think that's what the A7 took and I was happy.

Another question.

I'm home alone... checking eye detect with wide area. With the A7 it would lock on to and track faces on tv as they moved around the frame but the III isn't doing this. Am I missing something?

I have no people to try it on so I don't know if it'll track an eye out ion the world.

Ah ha. It works in continuous focus but not in DMC.

It's a long time since I've bought a new camera so I'm just wondering and in fact I did wonder as I ordered it. I'm going to keep it and try not to look at the sensor for a while until I've done some lens changes or I spot contamination in pictures but sadly they are in the upper part of the frame where sky could be. When needed I'll try a rocket or even the dreaded wet clean. My worry is that if I reject this for having two spots the next may have four. These things can happen and as you may have gathered I tend to spot and highlight every little thing.

I'll give anti flicker a try now that it's time to have lights on and try and remember to test it under different lighting when I get the chance.

Grip aside I can't fault the image quality of this III. It seems to be quite easily visibly better than the A7 at higher ISO's before any processing so that's nice. I don't know if this is because of the different and possibly better chip or if it's just doing some unseen NR in camera. If it matters what makes it better.

I've spotted that there's compressed and uncompressed raws so I've tried them both and with the few shots I've taken I can't see any difference in them so I'll use compressed as I think that's what the A7 took and I was happy.

Okay. So, seeing as I'm in a caravan in Cornwall right now and sunset isn't playing ball, I've grabbed the A7Riii...... And, for me.... going from the A7 for about 8 years to the A7Riii ....

Extra custom button.
ISO on a press first so it can't be accidentally knocked.
Much much more accurate zebra settings.
Built in intervalometer.
Silent shooting - 99% of the time.
Better LCD and EVF.
Joystick for focus point.
Better AF.
Ability to program the lens buttons for eye AF.
Eye AF itself!
Stronger 6 screw mount.
Auto ISO with minimum shutter speed options.
Improved noise in general plus the dual thingy ISO.
Battery life.

I’ve never had a new camera with a dirty sensor.

Apart from any IQ improvement what strikes me at the moment on the plus side for the A7III are...

Faster in operation.
Seems so far to have easily visibly better higher ISO performance.
Has eye AF and it'll work with the face much smaller in the frame than the A7 would.

Other bonus points over the A7.
No black spot of debris in the evf.
The covering isn't bubbling.
It's not dead.
:D

I've set it up to be as far as I remember the same as the A7 button and menu wise and with two custom modes with eye detect, one with Aperture priority starting at f2.5 because that's the lens I have fitted and the other Manual mode, f2.5 and 1/160 both with auto ISO.

I’ve never had a new camera with a dirty sensor.

As above I'm worried about sending it back and getting one with more contamination. The box was sealed and I suppose it could have entered when I took the body cap off and fitted the lens but the argument against that would be that this doesn't usually happen to me and they seem stuck firm whereas household dust maybe wouldn't be.

I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

I thought SAR said the 85mm GM II was supposed to have been announced by now?

Another question.

I've been playing with the A7III's electronic shutter indoors and I haven't seen any banding but I do know this will depend on if lights flicker or not so for indoor use it could be ok for lots of uses. I'm thinking museums and churches etc when the noise of the shutter could attract attention but I'd take a practice picture first to check for banding. So that leaves rolling shutter, how is it for this? Would it be ok for slow moving subjects such as people posing but moving slowly as they do or for things moving more but still relatively slowly such as walking pace and what are subjects could it be expected to show visible distortion with?

In the situations you describe people are usually slow moving and I'll be using slower shutter speeds, so rolling shutter hasn't been a problem for me.

In the situations you describe people are usually slow moving and I'll be using slower shutter speeds, so rolling shutter hasn't been a problem for me.

I'm keeping away from people at the moment to prevent spreading my bug about but when I get the chance I'll try and experiment and see what happens.

In the meantime I've decided to see if I can fix the A7 as why not? I used to fix stuff and it doesn't matter if I wreck it.

I rocketed by new A7III and the sensor contamination seems to have gone. Good news :D

I still haven't had a reply from Artralab so have emailed them again. It's such a shame that these new companies seem to make what look like such silly decisions, and by that I mean having these widely inaccurate apertures when I'd guess that it wont cost a arm or a leg more to fit a mechanism that is at least somewhere in the ballpark rather than one which is way off, but what do I know.

Whilst I'm here.

If it happens by accident I'm not really too worried about having some motion blur in pictures and sometimes I quite like it and have actually tried to include it but it doesn't always work for me.

I do like this one though. I was at 1/200 and thought that may be too fast but didn't have time to change it and wanted to freeze the couple in the background too so it was all just guess work. The running boy is a bit small in the frame so I did wonder if it'd be even visible that there was motion blur but it's sort of visible and I'm happy enough.

A7 (happy days) and Vivitar 28mm f2.

DSC06276.JPG

How do you lot feel about including some motion blur?

Back