The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I advertised a few of those on the local Facebook photography group a few months ago .... and nothing.....

I have no idea if they're worth anything or not. I asked in the Price Check section and there were no replies. I suppose I have to charge something to cover postage but if there's no interest here I'll ask the dealer who quoted for my film era lenses. I have a couple of Oly MFT primes that look like going in the box too. All lovely stuff and in good condition... but I think it's fair to say that my photography and the gear I'm using has changed and they're just not getting used so they should go, one way or another.

I have no idea if they're worth anything or not. I asked in the Price Check section and there were no replies. I suppose I have to charge something to cover postage but if there's no interest here I'll ask the dealer who quoted for my film era lenses. I have a couple of Oly MFT primes that look like going in the box too. All lovely stuff and in good condition... but I think it's fair to say that my photography and the gear I'm using has changed and they're just not getting used so they should go, one way or another.

I was going to charity shop mine or throw them out, but they are still in the cupboard at the moment. I did keep a 2 stop ND Grad for film camera use though.

We have redecorated our end bedroom. The middle room we have done too & that now has our wardrobes & chest of drawers etc in there. Working on our bedroom now so as I move & go through things I am (we are) certainly being pretty tough with unused items! We all keep stuff we never use, but it's time for a sort out!

I was going to charity shop mine or throw them out, but they are still in the cupboard at the moment. I did keep a 2 stop ND Grad for film camera use though.

We have redecorated our end bedroom. The middle room we have done too & that now has our wardrobes & chest of drawers etc in there. Working on our bedroom now so as I move & go through things I am (we are) certainly being pretty tough with unused items! We all keep stuff we never use, but it's time for a sort out!

Me and Mrs WW often donate stuff but I'm worried that they'll sit on the shelf for a fortnight and then be binned. I'm hoping someone wants them at a price that'll cover postage otherwise I might end up paying someone to have them.

I don't think anyone here will be interested but just in case... During my clear out I decided that as I haven't used my Cokin P series filters since my DSLR days it should all go...

One standard holder and two slim line ones.
Three adapters in various sizes.
7 square filters.

If anyone is interested they're in the "other" section.
I had a very similar set that I sold on ebay. Think I got £20-25 for it.
Took about 2-3 months for it to be bought on there, not sure it was worth the hassle.

Perhaps just put it in the freebies section and ask for postage to be covered at cost.

I had a very similar set that I sold on ebay. Think I got £20-25 for it.
Took about 2-3 months for it to be bought on there, not sure it was worth the hassle.

Perhaps just put it in the freebies section and ask for postage to be covered at cost.

At the mo I'm asking £15. That's not what postage costs but I think I've been undervaluing packing tape. As I'm running out after my recent selling spree I've just bought some more and I was appalled at the price.

:D

If no one wants them I'll try and find someone who'll take them off me without it costing me too much :D Also can't get rid of my Novoflex FD to Sony adapter. That cost me £100.

PS.
I'm down to 11 film era lenses, assuming the buyer doesn't reduce the quote and I don't request any to be sent back.

Last edited:
At the mo I'm asking £15. That's not what postage costs but I think I've been undervaluing packing tape. As I'm running out after my recent selling spree I've just bought some more and I was appalled at the price.

:D

If no one wants them I'll try and find someone who'll take them off me without it costing me too much :D Also can't get rid of my Novoflex FD to Sony adapter. That cost me £100.

PS.
I'm down to 11 film era lenses, assuming the buyer doesn't reduce the quote and I don't request any to be sent back.

That's still way to many for me :ROFLMAO:

Hi Guys,
I wonder if you could spare a mo to help me out here - I am considering buying a Sony A7Cii camera and I can't find out how well my collection of vintage (mainly Hexanon) lenses would perform on the 33mp sensor. I currently have a Sony A7ii and the results I get are really good with the 24mp sensor but obviously, I don't want to shell out good money only to find that I'm disappointed with the results.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I wonder if you could spare a mo to help me out here - I am considering buying a Sony A7Cii camera and I can't find out how well my collection of vintage (mainly Hexanon) lenses would perform on the 33mp sensor. I currently have a Sony A7ii and the results I get are really good with the 24mp sensor but obviously, I don't want to shell out good money only to find that I'm disappointed with the results.
Thanks

It depends how you look at the pictures. If you look at them "normally" they'll look the same but if you pixel peep their limitations will be more visible. More mp's allow you to make a bigger pictures and/or look more closely. That's all it is. At the same size as 24mp they'll be the same.

Hi Guys,
Thanks

Your results always improve when you improve the resolution of the lens or sensor. The improvement may not be as much as you might have hoped for especially with old lens.
With most legacy/vintage lenses I find they really don't provide much resolution past 24mp. So you may not benefit from the 33mp fully but it certainly won't be a loss per say.

A7cii brings other advantages over A7ii though.

Having said all that if you are mostly only interested in using manual lenses I suggest looking at the Nikon range for reasons detailed here:

Your results always improve when you improve the resolution of the lens or sensor. The improvement may not be as much as you might have hoped for especially with old lens.
With most legacy/vintage lenses I find they really don't provide much resolution past 24mp. So you may not benefit from the 33mp fully but it certainly won't be a loss per say.

Many thanks for that info

Come rain or sunshine snow or ice if were able to were out, sooner sit in there than the house.
September 2024-14 by Ben Cheneler, on Flickr
I thought about selling my camper a few months ago we only did 1800 miles in it last year, however a few days away in it and a new puppy being picked up next weekend it’ll be staying for a while now. I know I would have regretted selling it …… looks like the Porsche will have to wait

I thought about selling my camper a few months ago we only did 1800 miles in it last year, however a few days away in it and a new puppy being picked up next weekend it’ll be staying for a while now. I know I would have regretted selling it …… looks like the Porsche will have to wait

I've only had a Boxster which I think is the best Porsche, I think the others are a silly idea they've persisted with through stubbornness. Anyway. I thought the Boxster felt like a truck, just heavy and soulless and needed to be thrashed to be fun. Also although I've only had two German cars they've convinced me that German build quality is a complete myth. An Elise or an MX5 feels like a sportcar to me.

Good luck with the puppy.

The Forum Demands Pictures!

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Thanks
I've done similar - A7 to a Cii with a collection of vintage Nikkor in my case.

Now, I've not pixel-peeped the files or shot a resolution chart to see if I can tell a difference, but I can more easily take better pictures on the Cii (for me I prefer the form factor etc). Are the pictures technically better? I don't know, but they're not worse. I'm not disappointed with them.

I _do_ appreciate the improvement in high iso performance and (coming from an A7) the IBIS. I've made nice images even fairly large from crops on the Cii on vintage lenses.

I came across this yesterday whilst looking for something else. It took me a few seconds to realise what it is.

A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8 at 1/125, f22, ISO 3,200. Frost on soil.

DSC08590.jpg

100%.

1-DSC08590.jpg

Last edited:
My A1's played up again today, this time just turning it off and then turning it back on quickly (within a couple of seconds as I didn't mean to turn it off). It wouldn't turn on and I had to remove the battery and reinsert it. It's never done that before, it's always been after changing batteries. I still haven't had a response from Sony yet since I emailed on Friday to say they hadn't fixed it so I will be sure to tell them about this. I'm starting to wonder if it's the IBIS, as you can hear and feel it disengage a couple of seconds after turning the camera off, and maybe if I'm timing turnign the camera off perfectly with when the IBIS is disengaging it's throwing a wobbly? Just a thought :thinking:

Does anyone know what leg I have to stand on about being charged, will they charge again if they find something else despite the fact they charged for something that didn't rectify the issue?

My A1's played up again today, this time just turning it off and then turning it back on quickly (within a couple of seconds as I didn't mean to turn it off). It wouldn't turn on and I had to remove the battery and reinsert it. It's never done that before, it's always been after changing batteries. I still haven't had a response from Sony yet since I emailed on Friday to say they hadn't fixed it so I will be sure to tell them about this. I'm starting to wonder if it's the IBIS, as you can hear and feel it disengage a couple of seconds after turning the camera off, and maybe if I'm timing turnign the camera off perfectly with when the IBIS is disengaging it's throwing a wobbly? Just a thought :thinking:

Does anyone know what leg I have to stand on about being charged, will they charge again if they find something else despite the fact they charged for something that didn't rectify the issue?
They should have given you a short warranty (3 or 6 months, from memory) as part of the repair - so you should be able to return it to them to fix under that (This is from memory of having my A900 fixed a number of years back, so may have changed).

They should have given you a short warranty (3 or 6 months, from memory) as part of the repair - so you should be able to return it to them to fix under that (This is from memory of having my A900 fixed a number of years back, so may have changed).
Thanks, yeah I'd imagine there is but what I meant was if I send it back and they say that they've found something else, are they likely to charge for that as well, or would it be 'covered' because the misdiagnosed it the first time?

This guy is taking Weather Sealed to the test! (30s mark)

h4p27HZ.png

Thanks, yeah I'd imagine there is but what I meant was if I send it back and they say that they've found something else, are they likely to charge for that as well, or would it be 'covered' because the misdiagnosed it the first time?
I don't know - if they do say you need to make an additional payment you could argue (for instance) that you wouldn't have authorised the first repair if you had known the total cost of the two repairs, but I'm not sure what the legal situation is.
I would hope they would repair it without charge, as it's their error in failing to identify any additional issues (or in introducing issues as part of their repair).

Last edited:
I don't know - if they do say you need to make an additional payment you could argue (for instance) that you wouldn't have authorised the first repair if you had known the total cost of the two repairs, but I'm not sure what the legal situation is.
I would hope they would repair it without charge, as it's their error in failing to identify any additional issues (or in introducing issues as part of their repair).
Thanks.

Last edited:
I've only had a Boxster which I think is the best Porsche, I think the others are a silly idea they've persisted with through stubbornness. Anyway. I thought the Boxster felt like a truck, just heavy and soulless and needed to be thrashed to be fun. Also although I've only had two German cars they've convinced me that German build quality is a complete myth. An Elise or an MX5 feels like a sportcar to me.

Good luck with the puppy.

The Forum Demands Pictures!
I've been winding my wife up for a number of years threatening to have a porsche so much so my 12 year old now joins in and wants me to have one. sadly what i want would be out of financial reach. I did offer to buy her an Elise a number of years ago she was having none of it, she refused a mr2 turbo i bought and then put the phone down on me in disgust when i bought a mitsubishi evo2 ( she soon changed her mid on that after driving it though) .... good job shes matured a little she now runs a Seat Leon 290 cupra which she wasn't interested in until she drove it then preferred it over a golf r we'd looked at.

Photos will follow this weekend.

Back