The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I had similar thoughts when I went back to the D750 when needing to use the 70-200mm F2.8 I only had in that mount, I used the camera for a decent amount of sports shooting and had been impressed with the AF performance. However the blackout makes tracking the subject much trickier and now I find the constant 'clack-clack-clack' in burst shooting irritating when I'm used to complete silence.

There's a topic in another part of the forum which has been started by someone suggesting that mirrorless cameras are pointless and simply created to sell more cameras which I very much disagree with. As much as I liked my various DSLRs I've been mainly using mirrorless cameras because of their various advantages. I find it amazing now how quickly and consistently I can get the shots I want.

With regards to your A1 I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems with it and I know it's all the more frustrating when you have an issue that can't seem to be repaired. I've no idea what the internal hardware layout of these cameras are but I know with other electronics that components outwith the mainboard can cause major errors. It would be good to confirm the error still happens at factory default settings as I see you're already considering.
Mirrorless has been a God send for wildlife photography. I used to get good shots with a dslr but when I went onto mirrorless I noticed the birds didn’t jump and stayed about.

This is vaguely Sony as there are Sony's in it and you can use "vintage" lenses on Sony's :D I enjoyed this.

Highlights for me are the Zeiss white flare at 52:35 and the FD warmth caused by the yellowed elements at 1:04:15. This reminded me of the Takumar 50mm f1.4 and Oly 50mm f1.4 I had. I wont miss the Takumar but I miss that Oly already. The Ninja bokeh is interesting too. I've never had a lens which did that.

I think that flare is maybe more suitable to vid as it's momentary and perhaps more natural whereas in a still photograph you're stuck with it as a moment frozen in time. I have a picture taken with a Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.7 MK2 that I've had for years, I've had multiple goes at it over the years and I still can't get it how I want it to look but in vid I don't think it'd be that much of an issue as it would be fleeting and could look very nice.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuuIXfVjK6E

His love for FD's surprised me a bit as I always saw them as also rans, not as good as the best of the others I had, maybe a bit bland, and with for me unattractive build but he does have higher end FD's whereas all I had was the more consumer end f1.8/1.4-f2.8's.

Last edited:
Lots of Viltrox 28mm f4.5 reviews on the rumor site...

It's not for me, the lack of a focus rings kills it for me as what are you supposed to do if the AF wont lock on or locks onto the wrong thing and yes that can happen even with modern cameras. I'd rather have a full function lens the size of the mini G's and I'd rather pay mini G prices for the privilege of not wanting to drop kick this lens over a hedge when it wont focus on what I want to be the point of focus.

Last edited:
Lots of Viltrox 28mm f4.5 reviews on the rumor site...

It's not for me, the lack of a focus rings kills it for me as what are you supposed to do if the AF wont lock on or locks onto the wrong thing and yes that can happen even with modern cameras. I'd rather have a full function lens the size of the mini G's and I'd rather pay mini G prices for the privilege of not wanting to drop kick this lens over a hedge when it wont focus on what I want to be the point of focus.
I was going to get one till you advertised the 28-60mm. Overall that felt a much better prospect even though it's a bit bigger.

I was going to get one till you advertised the 28-60mm. Overall that felt a much better prospect even though it's a bit bigger.

I thought I could train myself to use it but zooms confuse me :D I'm glad you're happy with it :D

Back