The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Camera arrived today. Customised all the buttons etc. Just waiting for the screen protector now :)
Great stuff :D

I've never had a card fail and I never carry a spare but maybe I'll start. When I'm going away I usually take two cameras one of which will be a compact and the other will be something better so I could always take the card out of the compact to use in my better camera if that one failed.

I think I'm more likely to forget the battery than have a card fail. I've done that :D

Last edited:
Camera arrived today. Customised all the buttons etc. Just waiting for the screen protector now :)
I've ordered A7 II hopping for better AF than A7r, should arrive by Thursday. Wanted A7r II but it's twice as expensive and I have no need for two Hi resolution cameras [emoji1] it's shame that they didn't use same af in all second gen cameras [emoji17]

I've ordered A7 II hopping for better AF than A7r, should arrive by Thursday. Wanted A7r II but it's twice as expensive and I have no need for two Hi resolution cameras [emoji1] it's shame that they didn't use same af in all second gen cameras [emoji17]

Af is considerably better than the a7r.

Thank you :)

I hear a native FE mount Sigma 35mm with fast aperture is on the way.... :) :) That makes me happy :)

I'll take a look but it depends how big it is and also I've got used to the f2.8 and being honest with myself I'll rarely really need anything faster than that.

Will look forward to seeing some of your pictures :D

SD card update - restored using PhotoRec, didn't lose a single photo (and more were un-backed-up than I thought!). Just seems the image DB got corrupted not the files themselves.

Glad you got it sorted.

I've tried a few free recovery programs in the past without success so bought a Sandisk one which worked.

SD card update - restored using PhotoRec, didn't lose a single photo (and more were un-backed-up than I thought!). Just seems the image DB got corrupted not the files themselves.

Great stuff. Recent sandisk ones have come with recovery software included I think.

Steve Huff is still working on his A9 review but he's posted some full size A9 v A7rII comparison shots here...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/05/31/sony-a9-vs-a7rii-high-iso-full-size-files/

and he says...

"One thing is for sure, the A9 is fantastic in low light and is probably the most capable, versatile camera I have ever used. I do wish it was more like $2999 though, as $4500 is steep but for pros who need speed, amazing AF, fantastic tracking AF, and great low light capabilities as well as the ability to use all kinds of lenses, the A9 is wonderful. In real world use, I have yet to have an issue for what I shoot, and the battery life is awesome. But I will have my pros and cons, and yes, there are a couple of cons, in my full review SOON."

Not specifically Steve Huff related but one thing that keeps cropping up is that people think the A9 and other Sony kit is overpriced and I have a problem understanding this as the cameras are IMO priced competitively relative to the competition or actually cheaper. Why is it that people seem rather angry that Sony cameras aren't cheaper? I don't see this bubbling resentment and people saying that Canon, Nikon, Fuji etc should be one or two £k cheaper than the competition.

Steve Huff is still working on his A9 review but he's posted some full size A9 v A7rII comparison shots here...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/05/31/sony-a9-vs-a7rii-high-iso-full-size-files/

and he says...

"One thing is for sure, the A9 is fantastic in low light and is probably the most capable, versatile camera I have ever used. I do wish it was more like $2999 though, as $4500 is steep but for pros who need speed, amazing AF, fantastic tracking AF, and great low light capabilities as well as the ability to use all kinds of lenses, the A9 is wonderful. In real world use, I have yet to have an issue for what I shoot, and the battery life is awesome. But I will have my pros and cons, and yes, there are a couple of cons, in my full review SOON."

Not specifically Steve Huff related but one thing that keeps cropping up is that people think the A9 and other Sony kit is overpriced and I have a problem understanding this as the cameras are IMO priced competitively relative to the competition or actually cheaper. Why is it that people seem rather angry that Sony cameras aren't cheaper? I don't see this bubbling resentment and people saying that Canon, Nikon, Fuji etc should be one or two £k cheaper than the competition.

perhaps as it doesn't have the pro build quality or proven reliability that the canon and Nikon have. and it will also be argued that the glass isn't there yet in terms of fast telephoto primes. throw in early reports of warnings that the camera is getting too hot while shooting stills outside. all adds up to possibly make potential investors a little nervous.

but nobody should be angry about the price. if its too expensive don't buy it.

I agree, its priced well but everybody likes to pay less, its human nature to grab a bargain ;)
Everything should be cheaper in my eyes! :D lol

Yep everything should be cheaper, and I should get paid more :p

Sony bodies are priced really well, but the lenses are a different story. A lot of them especially APS-C ones are overpriced for what they are.

perhaps as it doesn't have the pro build quality or proven reliability that the canon and Nikon have. and it will also be argued that the glass isn't there yet in terms of fast telephoto primes. throw in early reports of warnings that the camera is getting too hot while shooting stills outside. all adds up to possibly make potential investors a little nervous.

but nobody should be angry about the price. if its too expensive don't buy it.
There's often internet panic early on but how much is real and how much is clickbait we'll have to wait and see but I still don't remember anyone saying the latest Canikon/whatever should be £2k cheaper than the alternatives.

There's often internet panic early on but how much is real and how much is clickbait we'll have to wait and see but I still don't remember anyone saying the latest Canikon/whatever should be £2k cheaper than the alternatives.
I am sure if you search you will find people moaning about Canikon prices too. ;)

I am sure if you search you will find people moaning about Canikon prices too. ;)
And black spots and ghost images and banding and oil all over the place and on and on and on...

The engineer and obsessive in me wants everything to be perfect and cast shame and damnation on those who bring something that isn't to market but the realist in me thinks that some internet panics are just a waste of time buying into.

just taken an order of a modaplast battery grip for a7rii. the worst grip I've ever used! feels like it could break in your hand and the button layout is poor. going straight back.

anyway, heres a shot with the 55mm

Besties by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

God no, why would anyone want to clutter up a thread with pictures from the camera rather than the usual Fuji-Sony argument? ;)

I like to see pictures but I'm also interested in reading how people think the camera performs and what they think about their pictures as it's not easy to judge by what's posted here.

So... pictures... YES! :D but views and opinions also please! :D

We're staying home as it's raining so there'll be no pictures for me.

Just on the 55 and the general 50mm thing... I used to love the 50mm FoV but having got used to a 35mm FoV as I have the 35mm f2.8 on my A7 and 17mm on my GX80 I now find 50mm a bit tight.

Last edited:
Fooj may be smoking something too to get the ISO so wrong and the colours so funky.

I got one of those bags with my A7, I didn't like it at all and sold it on here but it went missing in the post :( The bag seemed well made but I thought it was a pretty poor design as a camera bag as none of my cameras seemed to sit well in it. I wouldn't recommend that bag to anyone.

Last edited:
Just on the 55 and the general 50mm thing... I used to love the 50mm FoV but having got used to a 35mm FoV as I have the 35mm f2.8 on my A7 and 17mm on my GX80 I now find 50mm a bit tight.

I was a 50mm FF person for several years!! That was with Canon. Then I bought the A7 [in 2014] but somehow didn't click with the FE55/1.8, nothing wrong with it, no complaints, I just couldn't gel with it so I sold it to a mate who still has it now! I'm now happy in the 35mm & 85mm camp :)

Back