The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Both ISO & DR are going to be better on the A7 III but if it’s resolution you need, then you can’t beat the Sony A7R II / III.
All this talk of 13-15 stops DR on the latest bodies seems crazy, great if you need to push the files but for me the original A7 II’s DR was more than enough.
I spent a solid 2-4 weeks researching the Sony A9 before I decided to take the plunge, I know the IQ was on par with the A7 II, perhaps marginally better in some areas and way better in others.

I don’t go high on iso or crazy with pushing the files.

I can see what they were talking about with AF-C now, try shooting around f/11 with AF-C and after the very first it'll keep hunting for focus.

Not a problem for me but if you like using AF-C in the studio you'd be stuffed with this camera.

I did not know this, with my studio photography I use a lot AF-C to track kids so this is not good news :(
Is it the same on the A9?

I did not know this, with my studio photography I use a lot AF-C to track kids so this is not good news :(
Is it the same on the A9?

Am not with this. I’ve just tried af c in wide and it picks up daughter no problem

Just waiting for a LR update so I can look at my images. Can’t be arse with DNG convert

It's funny how the a7R2 has almost entirely fallen by the wayside now. I guess it's to be expected with how quickly Sony move on, but it's kinda heading towards a sweet spot where it offers a huge amount of bang for buck now they're being offloaded en masse.

All the a73 reviews and stats are comparing vs the a72 and a7R3, but given the price point I think realistically a used a7R2 is the obvious comparison.

I was weighing up a move but having fired off 1600 frames at Goodwood yesterday and just being in awe of the files I'm having second thoughts. Lightroom Classic is pretty darn efficient with the RAW files now even on a modest machine (I have a mid-range Surface Pro 4) and the cropability is immense.

I completely forgot that you were shooting action with the Sony so you are probably the best person to ask!

How do you find it compared to a normal DSLR for action? I mean I only tried it for like 90mins in and out of the shop and the fastest action I got was taking pics of passing cars on a 20mph road lol.

I’m not a big EVF fan, maybe I’m just not used to it having been shooting with Nikons and Canons for like 15 years. I guess it’s something you just get used too? Out of interest in low light does the EVF still perform well for action?

Good call - we need more images! How come Fro has edited RAW files though?

He prob converted DNG then put in LR.. I dont want to do that.. So am know shooting in both Jpeg ad Raw then when Raw supported I can maybe work on the ones I like to work hard on

Plenty of stuff to take in las rambas. OPEN YOUR EYES dude hehe
I’m not a ‘street’ shooter ;) TBH I found La Ramblas a bit ‘meh’.

I can see what they were talking about with AF-C now, try shooting around f/11 with AF-C and after the very first it'll keep hunting for focus.

Not a problem for me but if you like using AF-C in the studio you'd be stuffed with this camera.

Yeah that's with it set to off. Give it a try, AF-S works fine, AF-C works at first then locks in the aperture and focus goes to s***.
That’s really disappointing, I can’t believe they’ve done that with this camera. TBH it’d be a deal breaker for me as I shoot with small apertures for motorsport to keep the shutter speed low for panning. Any idea whether they can fix this with firmware?

Am not with this. I’ve just tried af c in wide and it picks up daughter no problem
Have you tried shooting at f11?

Last edited:
When would we do tracking at F11 for Portraits of kids moving about and Zoo Visits my F all been lower than 6 for that So really this wont be a problem for me

It's funny how the a7R2 has almost entirely fallen by the wayside now. I guess it's to be expected with how quickly Sony move on, but it's kinda heading towards a sweet spot where it offers a huge amount of bang for buck now they're being offloaded en masse.

All the a73 reviews and stats are comparing vs the a72 and a7R3, but given the price point I think realistically a used a7R2 is the obvious comparison.

I was weighing up a move but having fired off 1600 frames at Goodwood yesterday and just being in awe of the files I'm having second thoughts. Lightroom Classic is pretty darn efficient with the RAW files now even on a modest machine (I have a mid-range Surface Pro 4) and the cropability is immense.

I’d have to agree, very good file outputs and just like most Sony bodies, the prices drop fast.
I’m dressing the day the Sony A9 II gets announced lol :D

I think the biggest advancements in the third generation bodies are as follows:-

AF system
Ergonomics incl dual SD, joystick etc
Battery life

I don’t consider the IQ / ISO / DR as ground breaking over previous bodies.

I believe generation 4 of the A7 and generation 2 of the A9 series will be a giant leap in sensor IQ. ;)

When would we do tracking at F11 for Portraits of kids moving about and Zoo Visits my F all been lower than 6 for that So really this wont be a problem for me
That’s fair enough, but it just sounded like you didn’t have the issue from your response so I wondered if it was lens specific (y)

Well the Images I took last night I not been able to look at yet in LR as it not updated it Raw yet. So I am just sharing one from this morning taking from landing window before I go out in this bloody horrible snow. Nothing special but you guys wanted a A7iii image lol

DSC00085.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr

This is for anything above f8.....
Various situations can require f8 or above.

- sunny outdoors
- studio work
- motorsport
- events using flash
- wildlife

It is a limitation whichever way you look at it however won’t be a big issue for most people.

That’s really disappointing, I can’t believe they’ve done that with this camera. TBH it’d be a deal breaker for me as I shoot with small apertures for motorsport to keep the shutter speed low for panning. Any idea whether they can fix this with firmware?

Have you tried shooting at f11?

I highly doubt it will be added as a firmware update, it could be down to sensor read-out design etc.
All the Sony bodies exhibit this excluding the Sony A9.

Well the Images I took last night I not been able to look at yet in LR as it not updated it Raw yet. So I am just sharing one from this morning taking from landing window before I go out in this bloody horrible snow. Nothing special but you guys wanted a A7iii image lol

DSC00085.jpg

That one photo is probably already 40% of the total images I’ve posted here from my Sony A9.
I really need to get my a**e is gear and get using my system! :)

Again nothing special just a quick snap and bare the mucky mouth as not had her morning wash yet still a slob in bed watching somthing on the iPad.. but just wanted to show how sharp the eye iso with the Eye AF.. Still learning but this camera is picking up ever dirts and bits of anything lol

DSC00087-Edit.jpg

No problems here with the a7R2, 1600 shots fired off at Goodwood yesterday, many of which were 1/20 pans etc. More often than not up around f20 and it performed exactly as I would have hoped.

I've only edited a few so far but:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/albums/72157694588469975

Held up admirably through very heavy snow as well. Lots of hunting as to be expected when you can barely see the subject at times, but once it locked it hung on well.

Last edited:
No problems here with the a7R2, 1600 shots fired off at Goodwood yesterday, many of which were 1/20 pans etc. More often than not up around f20 and it performed exactly as I would have hoped.

Held up admirably through very heavy snow as well. Lots of hunting as to be expected when you can barely see the subject at times, but once it locked it hung on well.

So sounds like a non-issue as the contrast-detect points are good enough?
Unless the Sony A7R II can AF-C using phase detect over f8?

Nice pics and nice editing. Goes to show you can spend all day talking about specs on here or get yourself outside taking photos!

So sounds like a non-issue as the contrast-detect points are good enough?
Unless the Sony A7R II can AF-C using phase detect over f8?

No idea, although slow panning isn't actually particularly AF intensive, so maybe contrast detect is enough. Either way it performed at least as well as the X-T2 and 100-400, which was the last combo I used.

Why are you surprised? AF on A7 isn't as bad as people make it out to be on the internet. If you listen to them you'll think A7 didn't have any AF at all :p

Not surprised and agree, for me technique plays a big part it nailing the shot.
Bodies like the Sony A9 just make it easier, you still need to have the eye. :)
I think with my A7 Airshow shots I messed up the shutter speeds, hence why the propellers look frozen and not in motion :)

Ok

What AF mode people use for

Portrait.
Landscape
Tracking cars or planes

As we know we a few options just wondering what best on Sony

Ok

What AF mode people use for

Portrait.
Landscape
Tracking cars or planes

As we know we a few options just wondering what best on Sony