The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Some bluebell wood pictures, I think there'll be a lot more out next week.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00118.JPG

Blown sky but there was no way I could have kept it with one shot, too dark in the wood.

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00141.JPG

Last edited:
Nooooo I didn't mean it, it was tongue in cheek - ironic, err... Alan is the man!

I dunno.... First there's "Playing with ya" and now "tongue in cheek" !!!!!!

A chaps not safe round here...

Some bluebell wood pictures, I think there'll be a lot more out next week.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

i'm sure it's going to be 'personal taste' or something - but my 2 cents.

When you white balance an image properly it really separates the colours in the image, currently the skin tones meld with the surrounding greens.

I can understand the desire for a 'warmer' look image, but i think this can be developed after the WB.

I've started to tweak and change wb now and makes pp easier
i'm sure it's going to be 'personal taste' or something - but my 2 cents.

When you white balance an image properly it really separates the colours in the image, currently the skin tones meld with the surrounding greens.

I can understand the desire for a 'warmer' look image, but i think this can be developed after the WB.

No taste really just a lack of processing ability. She's a lovely colour in person and my most photographed person :D but with all that green about things aint easy for me so I've concentrated on getting her clothing looking as accurate as I can get it. The raw looks waaay too blue and nothing looks right to me so I've backed it off slightly towards yellow from 4700 to 6300 to try and get her clothing and bag looking about right, other than that I've had to add 43 fill light to the file and I've increased the exposure on her face +0.5.

That's the limit of my ability with this.

Actually I've just gone back in and added a grad to the top to pull the sky back slightly and that's now the limit of my ability with this :D

Last edited:
No taste really just a lack of processing ability. She's a lovely colour in person and my most photographed person :D but with all that green about things aint easy for me so I've concentrated on getting her clothing looking as accurate as I can get it. The raw looks waaay too blue and nothing looks right to me so I've backed it off slightly towards yellow from 4700 to 6300 to try and get her clothing and bag looking about right, other than that I've had to add 43 fill light to the file and I've increased the exposure on her face +0.5.

That's the limit of my ability with this.

Actually I've just gone back in and added a grad to the top to pull the sky back slightly and that's now the limit of my ability with this :D

white balance off one of the white stripes on her top, then you may want to play with the greens or find a nice preset.

I had a look myself, and the white balance alone creates a good start.

Last edited:
Alan

Let me know what the setting below does for your greens

AWB -> A-B: A4 & G-M: G2
Creative Style (Standard) +1 -2 +0

Her tops grey with darker strips and if I WB off different points I get widely different results. I'll have another look at it tomorrow but it's always going to be for the best effect I can get with my limited processing skills.

Alan

Let me know what the setting below does for your greens

AWB -> A-B: A4 & G-M: G2
Creative Style (Standard) +1 -2 +0

Soz but I don't understand that, I'm using CS5. Looks like this...

one.jpg

Actually that looks different to the one above and I don't know why. I'll have another look tomorrow.

Last edited:
Highlights -30 - auto colour - Hue -5 & Saturation -25 improves the colours in the shot you've illustrated in cs5 in my opinion.

I have noticed your photos are always on the green hue side a bit too much, I am unsure if it's the characteristic of the original A7, your various manual focus lenses or your monitor.

With this one (blue bell wood) it started at temp 4700 and tint +8, to me it looks more natural on my screen at temp 6300, that's changing the blue towards the yellow.

Same camera and lens... another day... too green?

two.jpg

Last edited:
Highlights -30 - auto colour - Hue -5 & Saturation -25 improves the colours in the shot you've illustrated in cs5 in my opinion.
Are these JPEG changes? If so -30 highlight isn't an option for me but the other settings do work but her face turns more orange. The sky looks better though.

I'll play with this shot and another two taken in the same place again tomorrow.

Thanks all.

The values Ive said dont seem to work as well with the latest image. Try including colour balance magenta/green +10 on the forest images

Last edited:
Has anyone else had issues with camera profiles on the new Lightroom Classic CC?

If I apply this preset to any image taken on the A7III it comes up with "profile missing", but as I understand it, I can use any preset with any camera on LR. If I apply the same profile to images taken on the A7 it has no issue. Any idea what's going on here...?

LR.jpeg

Some now edited.

4KKFLI9.jpg

SlRb6ra.jpg

ccPnGLk.jpg

d2b58A3.jpg

kAT97GM.jpg

2HJPGZr.jpg

Last edited:
With this one (blue bell wood) it started at temp 4700 and tint +8, to me it looks more natural on my screen at temp 6300, that's changing the blue towards the yellow.

Same camera and lens... another day... too green?

View attachment 126304
Those colours are so much better. Is your screen calibrated?

So I'm thinking of going for the Sigma 85 Art lens when it comes out if the 50mm performs well that I've ordered

Have a brand new 55 Zeiss that was a replacement for a defective one that flared insanely bad. Anyone got an idea of how much I could fetch for it?

Also got a Zeiss Batis 85 that's only about 1.5 months old in mint condition from Park Cameras. Any idea on used price?

So I'm thinking of going for the Sigma 85 Art lens when it comes out if the 50mm performs well that I've ordered

Have a brand new 55 Zeiss that was a replacement for a defective one that flared insanely bad. Anyone got an idea of how much I could fetch for it?

Also got a Zeiss Batis 85 that's only about 1.5 months old in mint condition from Park Cameras. Any idea on used price?

There’s cashback on the 55mm atm so need to keep that in mind. How come you’re looking at the sigma over the gm?

There’s cashback on the 55mm atm so need to keep that in mind. How come you’re looking at the sigma over the gm?

Meant to have better IQ across the board even using the old adapter. Will have to mull it over. I'd probably let the 55 go for £540, £80 cheaper, no messing about with cashback, brand new and UK stock.

Yesterday I had a newborn photoshoot, it was my first with my new a7iii, for lens I chose the 24-70 GM

I opted for using AF Single with Flexible Spot small to place the focus where I wanted it, sometimes it would be on the feet, hands, fingers, eyes....
The photoshoot started and the camera seemed to focus well with no problems, after a while it would not focus at all in the eyes area, it would hunt but it would not lock focus at all, it was very frustrating.

In the room there was enough light from my strobe modelling lights and the ambient light, I was using mechanical shutter with Live Preview Off, Eye AF off too and no Face detect, just placing the focus on the eye and it would not focus at all.

Not sure if had anything to do, but as the baby was naked we had a heater on and the studio room got quite hot.

Any ideas on what I might have been doing wrong? Or was it the camera?...I want to think it was me and not the camera:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yesterday I had a newborn photoshoot, it was my first with my new a7iii, for lens I chose the 24-70 GM

I opted for using AF Single with Flexible Spot small to place the focus where I wanted it, sometimes it would be on the feet, hands, fingers, eyes....
The photoshoot started and the camera seemed to focus well with no problems, after a while it would not focus at all in the eyes area, it would hunt but it would not lock focus at all, it was very frustrating.

In the room there was enough light from my strobe modelling lights and the ambient light, I was using mechanical shutter with Live Preview Off, Eye AF off too and no Face detect, just placing the focus on the eye and it would not focus at all.

Not sure if had anything to do, but as the baby was naked we had a heater on and the studio room got quite hot.

Any ideas on what I might have been doing wrong? Or was it the camera?...I want to think it was me and not the camera:rolleyes:

The camera needs to be in AF-C for the eye AF to work properly.

Those colours are so much better. Is your screen calibrated?

No, the screen isn't calibrated. The picture on at the seaside was taken on a different day with completely different lighting but all processed by little old me.

I do agree that some of my shots... er... being kind to myself... lack a little in the processing department... and I think especially with the ones taken of Mrs WW surrounded by greenery her skin tone doesn't always look right. There are two places we go to often that are very green so I'll be careful and maybe take a Panasonic along next time too and take a couple of pictures with the same lighting and see if they end up any different.

The camera needs to be in AF-C for the eye AF to work properly.

Thanks @F/1.4....but that's not what I was asking about.

I did not want AF-C or Eye AF, I was shooting on AF-S and flexible spot small to place the focus exactly where I wanted it, I could move it around and focus on different parts. It was when placing the focus point over the eye that it would not focus, it would hunt and hunt but it would not lock focus at all.

No, the screen isn't calibrated. The picture on at the seaside was taken on a different day with completely different lighting but all processed by little old me.

I do agree that some of my shots... er... being kind to myself... lack a little in the processing department... and I think especially with the ones taken of Mrs WW surrounded by greenery her skin tone doesn't always look right. There are two places we go to often that are very green so I'll be careful and maybe take a Panasonic along next time too and take a couple of pictures with the same lighting and see if they end up any different.

I'll remove if you like (no edits!), just visualisation is good.

In lightroom I just used the WB picker on the stripes on her top, nothing else. Original left, WB right.

wb by dancook1982, on Flickr

I'll remove if you like (no edits!), just visualisation is good.

In lightroom I just used the WB picker on the stripes on her top, nothing else. Original left, WB right.

wb by dancook1982, on Flickr
Much better. Maybe a shade too far if you want it natural as I would guess in an environment like that there would be a slight green cast but for WB neutrality that's great. I never have great success with the WB eye dropper thing tbh :oops: :$

Much better. Maybe a shade too far if you want it natural as I would guess in an environment like that there would be a slight green cast but for WB neutrality that's great. I never have great success with the WB eye dropper thing tbh :oops: :$

I agree - I'm not keen on the 'purple' look you get with forest floor with white balancing - so usually warm it up a tad - but not so much the subject gets lost.

Could use split toning for this once you've white balanced

Last edited:
Back