The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The Sigma Art glass will be good, the adapted 35mm f1.4 in Canon mount was pretty good.
Personally if I was buying another fast f1.4 I’d probably go for the Sigma.
I’m possibly most interested in the 24mm actually, its become a more and more important focal length to me but a prime is always much better than the wide end of the zoom lenses, that and it looks like my zoom is going to be the Tammy 28-75 which of course doesn’t have a 24mm end!

Wowza.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flh5xAyin3Y

Watching that my first thoughts were what a shame all this is and also how strange it all is. These are grown men conducting a very public dummy spitting match but then I started to warm to Jason Laniers's point of view as these guys live in the public eye on the net and the angry guy is hurting Jason Lanier's business and potentially upsetting his family with the on line content and comments for his children to see. I'd have thought that Jason's best course would be to keep quiet and hand all this over to his legal team but I suppose considering the on line world these guys live in it's understandable that Jason has responded on line in this way
OK just watched this, and it's just sad. I don't think either party come out looking well, but if he has cooked this up then Ken is a first class *******. But I don't think that making this video puts Jason in a particularly good light either. If he wants to sue Ken for Liable then do it the right way, don't make a 26 minute video threatening someone and going over the same thing time and time again .

OK just watched this, and it's just sad. I don't think either party come out looking well, but if he has cooked this up then Ken is a first class *******. But I don't think that making this video puts Jason in a particularly good light either. If he wants to sue Ken for Liable then do it the right way, don't make a 26 minute video threatening someone and going over the same thing time and time again .

I understand the video response. JL’s business is generated mainly via YouTube and this video will get shed loads of views which means more money to him. It’s all good publicity.

ah but how do you all know if they both haven't cooked it up together for good publicity and clicks :D

I bit the bullet this afternoon and bought the A7Riii and the GM 100-400 from Jessops. The salesman went the extra mile for me and gave me top price for my 1DX and did some tweaking elsewhere so I'm happy price wise especially with Sony cash backs.
I had looked at grey market prices and of course I would have saved money but I decided I was happier dealing with a shop.

I tried both the A9 and the A7Riii to gauge handling and tried both with my existing Sigma 150-600. The Sigma performed surprisingly well with the Sigma MC11 converter but there was a noticeable slow down in AF. After thinking long and hard I decided that the A7Riii gave me adequate speed and excellent IQ. Any bird photographer will say that you can never get close enough but at least I'll be able to put more pixels on the birdy! They didn't have the Sony 1.4x TC on their books at all so I'll have to source that elsewhere.

I understand the video response. JL’s business is generated mainly via YouTube and this video will get shed loads of views which means more money to him. It’s all good publicity.
I see your point, but he could have done it better imo. The conspiracy theorist in me likes nandbytes theory ;)

Well done! another one to welcome to the Sony crew
I bit the bullet this afternoon and bought the A7Riii and the GM 100-400 from Jessops. The salesman went the extra mile for me and gave me top price for my 1DX and did some tweaking elsewhere so I'm happy price wise especially with Sony cash backs.
I had looked at grey market prices and of course I would have saved money but I decided I was happier dealing with a shop.

I tried both the A9 and the A7Riii to gauge handling and tried both with my existing Sigma 150-600. The Sigma performed surprisingly well with the Sigma MC11 converter but there was a noticeable slow down in AF. After thinking long and hard I decided that the A7Riii gave me adequate speed and excellent IQ. Any bird photographer will say that you can never get close enough but at least I'll be able to put more pixels on the birdy! They didn't have the Sony 1.4x TC on their books at all so I'll have to source that elsewhere.

One thing I really dislike from my amateur musical theatre shooting days is the red like on stage.....whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Last edited:
DPR has a bit on the Meike 50mm f1.7 FE mount manual focus lens...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/60215...full-frame-sony-edition-of-its-50mm-f1-7-lens

I do fancy giving this a try but ideally I'd like a similar 35mm and I'd also like to see a couple of others such as an 85mm and a 20, 24 or 28mm. They might actually get round to some of these but looking at their site they do seem to have a bit of a scatter gun approach. Time will tell.

DPR has a bit on the Meike 50mm f1.7 FE mount manual focus lens...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/60215...full-frame-sony-edition-of-its-50mm-f1-7-lens

I do fancy giving this a try but ideally I'd like a similar 35mm and I'd also like to see a couple of others such as an 85mm and a 20, 24 or 28mm. They might actually get round to some of these but looking at their site they do seem to have a bit of a scatter gun approach. Time will tell.

Do you really need another 35 or 5o?

Do you really need another 35 or 5o?

I only have a few modern FF lenses, I have the Sony 28-70mm which I never use plus the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 and two Voigtlanders, 35mm f1.4 and 40mm f1.2. My other FF lenses are all decades old FD's, Zuiko's and Rokkor's and they wont last forever. I've had a couple that have jammed or become rough and I've had them serviced and that usually costs in the region of £75 to £100 or so and that may be more than I'd think they're worth but finding nice ones at good prices seems to be getting ever harder. A modern relatively cheap manual lens even in the region of £150 might therefore be worth a look plus an FE mount one will negate the need to add the bulk of an adapter. Plus there's the fun of comparing it to the lenses I already have and doubtless it'll have it's own look.

So yes, I would consider buying more 24/28/35/50/85mm lenses :D

To be honest the fun they give me is probably worth the cost in itself plus when I'm playing with a new lens I always get a few pictures that I really like, win win :D

Some of the ones I watch....

Jared Polin
DPReview
Jeremy Smith
TheDigitalDigest
David Oastler
Gordan Laing
Jason Lanier
Ditch Auto
Michael The Mavers
Dan Watson
Tony & Chelsea Northup
The Camera Store
DigitalRev TV
Steve Huff
Patrick Murphey
That 1 Camera Guy
Jason Vong
Kai W
Max Yuryev
Atola Visuals
Photo Gear News
Amar Talwal Photo
David Cooper
John Sison
Gary Fong
Napier Photography
Matt Granger
Wes Perry
B & H
Gary Friedman
Jay SonyAlphaLab

:eek: :D

Can’t believe no-one mentioned Thomas Heaton, I like the way he talk through his thought process. Mike Brown is also good from an instructional viewpoint

Can’t believe no-one mentioned Thomas Heaton, I like the way he talk through his thought process. Mike Brown is also good from an instructional viewpoint

Nigel Danson is one of my fav channels

plus
e6 Vlogs
Julian Baird
Steve O'Nions
Joe Allam
James Popsys
Gary Gough
First Man Photography
Evan Rift

and finally master of street photography
John Free

One thing I really dislike from my amateur musical theatre shooting days is the red like on stage.....whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I told them I want white light for all scenes of rehearsal. It was more for the photo op anyway.

One of the dancing scenes I was told they have pretty coloured lights, do I want those on?

Nooooo thanks :)

Does anyone use the 28mm f2? Small, reviews are good and it's an interesting focal length. Was thinking of buying it along with an A7iii and 85mm 1.8 to start. Used the 35mm 1.4 yesterday and I'd rather look at lighter options before committing.

Also, I reckon I'm gonna need to buy something to rest my pinky on. Even with my tiny Trump hands, I found the grip too small. Unfortunately, the grip extender won't work for me.

Does anyone use the 28mm f2? Small, reviews are good and it's an interesting focal length. Was thinking of buying it along with an A7iii and 85mm 1.8 to start.

28mm f2, 55mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 for me. The 28mm is a decent lens, but the upcoming 28-75mm 2.8 (and the price of it) meant is a no brainer for me to trade that and the 85 in for it, if for practical/convenience alone. 99% of my photography is with the 55, so a zoom for the rest made sense.

And what's wrong with the Loxia ;)

I have the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 :D and it's been on my camera since I got it but a compact wide aperture 35mm with AF would be nice too.

When I'm out by myself or Mrs Woof Woof or just close family MF is usually ok but at other times I want to be a bit quicker than MF allows and not so much the geek with the camera holding everyone up.

Last edited:
28mm f2, 55mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 for me. The 28mm is a decent lens, but the upcoming 28-75mm 2.8 (and the price of it) meant is a no brainer for me to trade that and the 85 in for it, if for practical/convenience alone. 99% of my photography is with the 55, so a zoom for the rest made sense.

Yeah, that makes sense. I don't like to shoot zooms so the 28mm might better suit me better. I shoot 99% of my photos on a 35 or 85 but could sub in a 28 for the 35 for the weight tradeoff (until there's a good dinky 35 made).

Why is simple, because unlike other manufacturers who simply replace one model with a newer version, Sony like to squeeze every penny out of each model, they also use it as a way to entice new users across from rivals. Let’s suppose you were looking at a first full frame, for £2k you can choose a Canon 6Dii or spend £500 more for a 5d4, based on that £1700 seems a bargain. As to £3200 for the Riii, at launch the Rii was also £3200. All that extra spec for the same money (or less if you take inflation into account)
Rii was £2499 at launch doubt weve had 28% inflation in just under 3 years

GBP value had fallen by 20% we have recovered a lot recently by no one has bothered putting the prices back down :mad:

Because people will pay them..

on the other hand i've talked myself out of a lot of purchases this month, and i feel like i'm doing well - so maybe prices will fall now

even cancelled my amazon prime membership to discourage purchases

Back