The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Any love in here for the 16-80 ?
I had one for a day! Brand new and tested in the garden, over 300 images taken and the copy I had looked ok till i zoomed in 100%. Very soft when zoomed in at all focal lengths and different apertures. Maybe I have been spoilt with primes but the copy I had was not a touch on the sharpness of the 55-200. Maybe I just had a lemon, returned next day!

I had one for a day! Brand new and tested in the garden, over 300 images taken and the copy I had looked ok till i zoomed in 100%. Very soft when zoomed in at all focal lengths and different apertures. Maybe I have been spoilt with primes but the copy I had was not a touch on the sharpness of the 55-200. Maybe I just had a lemon, returned next day!
that must have left a sour taste in your mouth Nick.:) . i might tell my friend to have a closer look at his images as hes awaiting a new pc and hasnt really looked close if i know him. interesting post.

Any love in here for the 16-80 ?

I was reading and watching reviews on this, I'd already had the 10-24 last time with my fujis. The 10-24 was absolutely superb but too wide for me. I was going to get the 16-80 for the £699 xh1 offer until wex sold them.

All normal reviews say that it's as good as the 10-24 and mere mortals won't tell the difference. A handful of reviews said the 16-80 was softer in the corners but to be honest unless you zoomed on on samples to 100-200% crop you couldn't see anything. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

that must have left a sour taste in your mouth Nick.:) . i might tell my friend to have a closer look at his images as hes awaiting a new pc and hasnt really looked close if i know him. interesting post.

There is quite a bit of internet chatter about softness at any aperture at the extreme ends of the lens (16-80) - I suspect that some comes from sample variation and others might come from the fact that on the whole any zoom lens where the longer focal length is more than 3 times the shorter focal length is potentially compromised in design. Most 'great' zoom lenses are a multiplier between about 2.5 and 3.5, Fujifilm's less successful ones (in terms of IQ) are 5x (16-80) and 7.5x (18-135) - this though isn't unique to Fujifilm, but fairly true across most lens manufacturers.

My new avatar is a shot taken yesterday for a two page magazine article. This square pic will be most of the left page :)

Bit hot on the top hand and top of me crust I know but hey ho they're happy with it :)

You'll have to wait and see for a shot of the two-page spread and text :D

Me with camera by Dave Green, on Flickr

Last edited:
My new avatar is a shot taken yesterday for a two page magazine article. This square pic will be most of the left page :)

Bit hot on the top hand and top of me crust I know but hey ho they're happy with it :)

You'll have to wait and see for a shot of the two-page spread and text :D

Me with camera by Dave Green, on Flickr

Nice one Dave. Just might have to order that Silver sucker..

There is quite a bit of internet chatter about softness at any aperture at the extreme ends of the lens (16-80) - I suspect that some comes from sample variation and others might come from the fact that on the whole any zoom lens where the longer focal length is more than 3 times the shorter focal length is potentially compromised in design. Most 'great' zoom lenses are a multiplier between about 2.5 and 3.5, Fujifilm's less successful ones (in terms of IQ) are 5x (16-80) and 7.5x (18-135) - this though isn't unique to Fujifilm, but fairly true across most lens manufacturers.

The laws of physics, especially when applied to lens design always win. :)

Can’t believe I missed that - surprised if it will be honoured though :mad::confused:

I would've risked it but it was back to 1299 within the hour:confused: There's someone on Facebook who ordered one, time will tell.

Dying to get out and try mine. I'm working flat out again, been sat at home for weeks with glorious mornings and evenings. It's raining and howling here, even had hail and thunder earlier.

I would've risked it but it was back to 1299 within the hour:confused: There's someone on Facebook who ordered one, time will tell.

Dying to get out and try mine. I'm working flat out again, been sat at home for weeks with glorious mornings and evenings. It's raining and howling here, even had hail and thunder earlier.

Yeah, saw he had ordered it - we’ll see.
Me, I’ll just keep adding it into my basket, hovering over the checkout button and then changing my mind for a little bit longer :rolleyes:

Yeah, saw he had ordered it - we’ll see.
Me, I’ll just keep adding it into my basket, hovering over the checkout button and then changing my mind for a little bit longer :rolleyes:

It's really nice. Lots of camera in a small package.

I'm going to have a few trips out with it and if I can live without using my other bodies/lenses, they're all being sold. I'm 50 and fat, still like climbing mountains but find an almost 40lb backpack too much these days. I like my camera kit, stove, water etc... Unfortunately I've been leaving my cameras at home because they became a chore for me.

It's really nice. Lots of camera in a small package.

I'm going to have a few trips out with it and if I can live without using my other bodies/lenses, they're all being sold. I'm 50 and fat, still like climbing mountains but find an almost 40lb backpack too much these days. I like my camera kit, stove, water etc... Unfortunately I've been leaving my cameras at home because they became a chore for me.

Hope you get some decent weather for your trips
I’m 45, fat and unfit and gave up humping full blown camera gear years ago - been using my iPhone for the last year or so after selling all my camera stuff, including 2x Fs in quick succession, but you can only do so much with a smartphone.

I’m going to have to decide in the next 70mins or I’ll miss out on Prime delivery for tomorrow :rolleyes::cool::ROFLMAO:

Hope you get some decent weather for your trips
I’m 45, fat and unfit and gave up humping full blown camera gear years ago - been using my iPhone for the last year or so after selling all my camera stuff, including 2x Fs in quick succession, but you can only do so much with a smartphone.

I’m going to have to decide in the next 70mins or I’ll miss out on Prime delivery for tomorrow :rolleyes::cool::ROFLMAO:
amazon is 1 year warranty, wex has 2yr extended warranty and half price fuji weather kit.

I got mine from wex for the extra warranty and had a few other bits too. You can get the jjc hood and a 49mm filter to weather seal it for less cost.

Sod it, only money - X100V hand warmer with graunchy focus ring incoming........

Maybe I can get on with taking photos now instead of fussing over gear :fuji::ROFLMAO:

Mine doesn't get hot at all. I sat going through the menus for an age setting it up and it was warm but that was maybe me gripping too. No grinding on my focus ring, in fact so far no issues.

Did you have to register the 2 year warranty? I’m sure I read it was 2 years if bought from an approved retailer - which Amazon is if you buy from them (which I did) rather than a marketplace seller.

Oh, if not the chances of me having it after 12 months let alone 24 are slim to none :rolleyes:

Did you have to register the 2 year warranty? I’m sure I read it was 2 years if bought from an approved retailer - which Amazon is if you buy from them (which I did) rather than a marketplace seller.

Oh, if not the chances of me having it after 12 months let alone 24 are slim to none :rolleyes:

Haven't registered for the 2 year, just registered with Fuji.

So yours is on the way? :banana:

I keep picking mine up and messing with it. Love the neg hi and colour chrome jpgs. I'm even thinking of going to all jpg o_O

perfect

you are now at

1 more sleep :D:D

Indeed - weather looks poop tomorrow too so once it arrives I will have to take the obligatory shot of the lens cap and wait until Sunday to get out on the streets (y)
Not too fussed about the weather seal front ring doodah but now need to sort out a wrist strap and might even treat it to the leather case :love:
Price is bound to come down or Fuji will announce a promotion now I’ve actually bought one :sneaky:

Last edited:
Indeed - weather looks poop tomorrow too so once it arrives I will have to take the obligatory shot of the lens cap and wait until Sunday to get out on the streets (y)
Not too fussed about the weather seal front ring doodah but now need to sort out a wrist strap and might even treat it to the leather case :love:

I've just stuck a peak wrist strap on for now, still works with the leather ring protector. The case looks nice, my wife even told me to pop it in the leather case to protect it.

Did you get silver or black? retro or stealth?

lol .thankyou for the offer though these days its a bit out of my league.Think Trev might be convinced though,or is he already in,I cant keep up :)
Not me mate, happy with my original..but you never know.

@SsSsSsSsSnake was happy with the original, then he wasn't and he sold it, then he was and bought another, and was on a cycle repeat several times.......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back