The new Sony A9 - What are your thoughts

This is disappointing... no flash use with the electronic shutter. You have to use the mechanical shutter w/ a max sync of 1/250, an electronic shutter could sync waaay faster which is something many would appreciate I think.

The mechanical shutter is also limited to 5fps. I would consider that mostly a non-issue for use with flash, but 20fps synced at 1/8000 SS with flash could be really cool.

I may cancel my pre order. the buffer rate seems like an issue(cant access the menu) no PlayMemory App, no S Log. Not as sharp as my a7r2 when pixel peeping.

There 3s tracking is buggy or not as good as nikons?

This is disappointing... no flash use with the electronic shutter. You have to use the mechanical shutter w/ a max sync of 1/250, an electronic shutter could sync waaay faster which is something many would appreciate I think.

The mechanical shutter is also limited to 5fps. I would consider that mostly a non-issue for use with flash, but 20fps synced at 1/8000 SS with flash could be really cool.

This is pretty standard for ES, it's a real shame.

I may cancel my pre order. the buffer rate seems like an issue(cant access the menu) no PlayMemory App, no S Log. Not as sharp as my a7r2 when pixel peeping.

There 3s tracking is buggy or not as good as nikons?

Keep the A7RII for now and wait for the A9II :D
If I didn't have some self control I would have pre-ordered too! Lol :D but in reality the XT-2 is much more than I need right now.

i have to say, as a non/anti-sony fan (i think they are crap to their customers) it looks great to me! perfect no, but a hell of a step up.

I'm pretty sure he said sixty five hundred .

Damn. They've clearly addressed that. This camera on initial spec looks amazing it's only delving deeper that the usual cracks appear. Battery life clearly isn't one of them though.

Damn. They've clearly addressed that. This camera on initial spec looks amazing it's only delving deeper that the usual cracks appear. Battery life clearly isn't one of them though.

it does look very good. seems as though the banding issues with ES have been sorted too.

That's actually the second review from Les Northrups, and is a new edit with everything they shot at the launch and a more considered summary. Conclusion is the same though, and Sony gets a big thumbs up (y) Looks like Sony laid on an impressive set of difficult action subjects to properly test the camera in life-like situations.

T Northrup has covered all the key points well. Only issues seem to be the length of time the buffer takes to clear (2 mins) when the camera completely locks up, though the buffer is pretty huge to start with. And x-sync limitations for flash with the mechanical shutter are the same as any DSLR.

Yeah and when will you be going through those 6500 files? :D Seriously my head hurts even thinking about how much disk space you would need etc.

Yes, the very thought makes you tired. But I don't think many users will be shooting at 20fps all the time and maxing out the buffer. You'll adapt to it, shoot at 10fps a lot of the time, or in short 20fps bursts around the peak of the action. If you know your sport, that's not hard to do. For some subjects, 20fps will definitely get a better capture though. But I don't hear anyone begging for 40fps just yet ;)

Disk space is as cheap as chips. Sony are heading in the right direction with this camera, the second version which will address the issues and hopefully be a bit chunkier will be good. I hope they redouble the efforts into long telephotos, if they teamed up with Zeiss to make one that would be brilliant.

Disk space is as cheap as chips. Sony are heading in the right direction with this camera, the second version which will address the issues and hopefully be a bit chunkier will be good. I hope they redouble the efforts into long telephotos, if they teamed up with Zeiss to make one that would be brilliant.

Long FE telephoto primes will be coming soon, I'd go as far as saying that Sony may announce one before the year is out.

Looks awesome. 6500 shots off one battery. I guess that's it for the battery argument.

In those conditions that shouldn't be too surprising. I was comfortably getting 2000 out of the Fuji X-T1 before battery became critical (CIPA rating = 350!) when shooting motorsport, and that wasn't even burst. Leaving the camera on and shooting near constantly without lots of chimping is fairly low-strain on a mirrorless battery, the CIPA ratings really hammer them due to switching on and off etc, which is nearer normal day to day use than intense event coverage.

Last edited:
My Nikon1 V2 does 15fps w/ silent shutter and AF (V3 does 20fps)... it's kind of a PITA. Switching release modes is not quick/easy, and trying to fire off just a couple frames while in 15fps is about impossible. And even at 15fps the peak moment often happens between frames (or maybe not at all?). But that's not really my biggest issue with it.

If Sony had the lenses *I* want at a reasonable/comparable price I would consider the A9 just for the FF electronic silent shutter, but I can't really afford to switch (ok, I can... it just wouldn't be smart money).

You are still odds on favourite

lol I've already considered it but it would only be a massive GAS attack!
A Sony A9 with the 24-70 & 85mm GM mmmmm

It's no doubt a good technology showcase and gives hope for the future as the tech will hopefully trickle down but I can't see it helping me one bit and to be honest I think that only a tiny percentage of people reading this thread will need a camera like this but others may want one and there's nothing wrong with that if they can afford it.

Anyway, me and GF are heading out and I'll be taking my A7 and 35mm f2.8 which for the mix of image quality, cost, bulk and weight is IMO absolutely brilliant :D

To do.... what?
Exactly, that's why I moved from Sony in the first place... just don't need it and the associated costs, if I was a professional full-time photographer then perhaps there could be a case to remain with Sony.
For me needs the Fuji is spot on, the middle ground. :)

It's no doubt a good technology showcase and gives hope for the future as the tech will hopefully trickle down but I can't see it helping me one bit and to be honest I think that only a tiny percentage of people reading this thread will need a camera like this but others may want one and there's nothing wrong with that if they can afford it.

Anyway, me and GF are heading out and I'll be taking my A7 and 35mm f2.8 which for the mix of image quality, cost, bulk and weight is IMO absolutely brilliant :D
I agree, the A7 is a sweet spot between size and output, I kind of miss mine.
Sony should have kept the original A7 as a entry model retaining its size but added a new sensor/AF system etc.
I wonder if the new A7III will use the new Z battery and adopt the A9 body size? I have a suspicious felling the next A7 line will use the same body as the A9.

Last edited:
Many people seem to whinge about the small body size and the handling issues that they say come with the smaller size so a larger body will suit some. There are no handling issues for me.

Many people seem to whinge about the small body size and the handling issues that they say come with the smaller size so a larger body will suit some. There are no handling issues for me.
I found it ok too, yes the second generation bodies have the shutter button located in a better etc position but its not end of the world.

Oh cost isn't the issue.....I've been half considering a 5D MIV which is exactly £3500... and the £6100 GFX is very very high on my list of options currently....
The Fuji GFX is epic, even I thought about it but I can't justify it ... maybe when I have paid my mortgages off in 30 years time lol :D

I'm sat here looking at my first digital Camera Sony DSC-S70 3.3 mega pix cost me £850 Nice little camera but i'ed love the a9 but no chance alas.

I'm sat here looking at my first digital Camera Sony DSC-S70 3.3 mega pix cost me £850 Nice little camera but i'ed love the a9 but no chance alas.
You'll be able to pick up an A9 much cheaper, new or used, once the A10 comes out :)

Back