This years Bird Cam

Aaahh that was nice! Just seen Dad feeding Mom and she in turn fed the squawky mouths. Great stuff.

I've just increased reduced the camera resolution to nikon level for the pixel-chick peepers ;)

Still fidddling about with it (oooeeerrr)

Last edited:
This is the first time I've looked in and the pictures not very good TBH. Like a badly tuned TV with horizontal lines. I can't really make anything out, but there is something moving.

Edit. Ah, I see a bird moving about now.

Last edited:
Now running on better PC / wired network so *should* be better frame rates

It looks like the cable to the camera is picking up interference, I've got a better cable but I don't think it would be a good idea to rewire the nest box just now.......

*should have colour for next year :)

Brian, thanks for all your work, and for sharing this experience every year, roll on colour :) :D

Personally though, I think the smaller screen was sharper and better viewing, however I'll happily enjoy this one too (y)

Once again, thanks, I promised last year that this year I'd have a cam in mine, but the little blighters started nesting earlier than expected :LOL:

Once again, thanks, I promised last year that this year I'd have a cam in mine, but the little blighters started nesting earlier than expected :LOL:

You've got to get it fitted when you clean the box out in November / December, then you can watch random adults roosting in it on cold nights :)

Personally though, I think the smaller screen was sharper and better viewing, however I'll happily enjoy this one too (y)

Anybody else think this ?

If so I'll drop the resolution back down & save some bandwidth :clap:

Last edited:
You've got to get it fitted when you clean the box out in November / December, then you can watch random adults roosting in it on cold nights :)

It was at that time I intended to order the little cam but never did, by the time I'd looked at doing it again the blighters were carrying in moss, except they were getting it from outside the garden, Our lawn's full of it, they could have at least taken it from there :D :LOL:

This year it WILL be done (y)

This is the first time I've looked in and the pictures not very good TBH. Like a badly tuned TV with horizontal lines. I can't really make anything out, but there is something moving.

Edit. Ah, I see a bird moving about now.

tell you what , you produce something better for us to enjoy and i will drop your chosen charity a fiver for your effort .............

Anybody else think this ?

If so I'll drop the resolution back down & save some bandwidth :clap:
Yes, another vote for current settings. The smaller screen does seem sharper, and with 1/4 the data, the frame rate is higher/smoother on my end. (y)

i can't see the birdies any more any reason why?

I was letting my Internetz have a rest :LOL:

People are leaving it streaming for hours & I'm currently using 8GB of upload a day. This is probably against Virgins fair use T&Cs so could people please only stream it when they are actually watching :love:

For the people who wanted to know where the box is mounted :-

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

ok and will do i may have been guilty of that. i am sorry....

my god they are so big they are growing so fast. and it looks like they are getting feathers too..

there is a little 3 year girl a friend of mine's who is saying good night to them everynight ( she loves them but mum wants her away from computer) and i have just warned her to make sure it get turned off but she asures me that she is.

Thanks for the location pictures, good insight to the setup.

FWIW I only dip into the stream to watch for a few minutes a day...........I do have a life :LOL: and of course bandwidth rules! ;) They are great to see so many thanks again for making the stream available.

Flippin heck Brian .... Get your grass cut .. :naughty:

Missed this until now ... After seeing the whole thing last time ... :bang:

Will not join in now and make Virgins day with your bandwidth.

Don't panic about the bandwidth people, I'm just asking that people don't leave it streaming full time

after all I've got to get my monies worth out Virgin for my 30 meg broadband :clap:

Ps. Kev, thats not grass, it's ferns :D

Just noticed the thread Brian, great pictures coming through. I have a pair of great tits nesting in a nest box in my garden at the moment but didn't think about setting up a camera to it. Great work and idea Mate. ;)

Any news on the Welsh puffin world break yet?

Any news on the Welsh puffin world break yet?

Bookings for next year open in October so I'll be starting a thread beginning of September to gauge interest. (I've already got you & davek at the top :D)

Bookings for next year open in October so I'll be starting a thread beginning of September to gauge interest. (I've already got you & davek at the top :D)

Nice one Mate, looking forward to it already. ;)

Bearing in mind that it is now 1am the adult on the nestlings is a right fidget, talk about moving around and tail high as it digs around in the nest before settling again for a few moments???

Can only see five active chicks, not looking like a good year :(

I'm pleased you confirmed that Brian, I was looking yesterday and could only see 4, so at least there is a fifth, from the 7 eggs (and I believe 7 initial chicks) I suppose 5 isn't too bad, providing they all make it.

I just checked in on them after not seeing them for a few days. They've grown so much and were trying to climb out of the nest. There didn't seem to be 7 but I can't get back into the birdcam to do a count.

Just saw mum and dad in the nest at once with what looked like caterpillars to feed them. Pretty sure I could count 6 but not 100%

Just saw mum and dad in the nest at once with what looked like caterpillars to feed them. Pretty sure I could count 6 but not 100%

I think I just got a 6 too. Seems that the time to be counting is just as mum or dad arrive with food and they all push up and open beaks.

I think I just got a 6 too. Seems that the time to be counting is just as mum or dad arrive with food and they all push up and open beaks.
Another vote for six. They were quite easy to count when some false alarm made them all sit up and gape at the camera without mum or dad getting in the way. :)

The parents have been very busy today feeding the chicks, with 7 chicks the box is getting crowded :).

They'll probably be gone by next weekend & that's it for another year :(

Awwww no I'm working all next week so won't get much chance to look during the day. I will miss my daily visit, it's been fascinating watching them.

i looked inthis morning and they were lining up waiting for mum or dad and they look great.. brill infact.. thanks for this..again

Thanks from me, too, for setting this up - it's brilliant. :):love:

I wonder if Mum's a bit OCD - the chicks seems to be trying to sleep and she's continually head down into the nest and shuffling the babies around! :D

Jean

:LOL: she certainly is! Is now 01:14 and she is still fidgety :bonk:

Please can we have sound next year(y)

There is a microphone in the box, I've just never bothered streaming it. If I get a chance tonight I'll give it a try :)

yep, 7 chicks

Back