Wedding Photography Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason why I don't use a reflector is speed, and you don't want to be telling an assistant what to be doing as well as the bride and groom and all the other people. Fill in flash works the best and looks perfect if you get it right. Plus your are going to end up carting all sorts of crap around with you, you will need another assistance to Carry all the gear the other guy cant carry. Keep it simple, 2 cameras 2 different lenses, flash gun on both cameras with a stoffen fitted on each one. And dont take the advice of PP they are a bunch of muppets.

Sounds like you're doing pretty well :)

I get so many offers of wedding work that I pass the ones on I cant do to other local photographers. Then they all give me £50 for every one I pass on, I give them more work then they get one there own. I spend no more then £300 a year on advertising, an add in my local paper and a few leaflets and that's it. Most of my work comes from recommendations and the taking over from the guy who I learnt from helped as he was a well known photographer. When photoshop came out he loved that side of the photography more, and that's what he is into now. So he gives me work and people also know me through him, so his reputation and mine came together.

Now I didn't mean to come across negative to you but at 15 I started to help out at weddings and it's hard to control so many people at that age. You might find that people wont want to listen to you, as you have to boss them around a bit.

Now how many people out there who do the odd wedding would do them if you still had to use film ?.

But here is a little tip for you, shoot the main traditional pictures and then say to the bride and groom, you tell me what you want it's your wedding. Let them bring the people to you who they want on the pictures. That will take away the stress of you running around and getting people in the pictures.

A tip for you as well, make sure that you take lots of shots of the main people.
For example do a few shots of the bride and groom then take you finger off the shutter then do a few more. Don't just do say 3 shots of one pose and then do another, a lot of the time you will get a person who blinks when the flash fires.

And you end up with 3 shots, 1 with the bride blinking, 1 with the groom 1 with both. So take like 5 shots and then take your finger off the shutter and do 3 more. This also helps as some times your camera might miss focus on a shot. Also do the bride and groom 1st after the wedding ceremony and then all the other stuff and then just before you finish say to the bride and groom, lets do a few more before I go.

Then do another set, this way you are sure you have got plenty of shots of the couple. And also watch out for other people with cameras, they are a pain in the BUTT. I see it on so many of my shots, that the bride or groom are looking all over the place at other people with camera. Make sure they look at you and not all the other people shouting at them.

Good look.

I have to say this is all solid advice from Papa, and he should know as he's done enough weddings.
The thing about weddings, and not just them but any big group of people, is organising the buggers. It's not just photography skills but people management/skills that comes into play, and I would say that it's pretty much 50-50 sometimes.
A few weeks ago I was taking big group shots of about 40 Chinese people in Manchester. Only one of them spoke English and every single one of them (no joke) had their own camera and wanted their own photos. Added to this it was the day of the Scottish dead, ie the day the Glasgow Rangers 'fans' (or twa*s depending on your point of view) invaded Manchester, so half way through a gang of them joined in as well. In the end it was quite funny, but a little difficult as you can imagine.

People in big groups tend to lose their brains and need to be told what to do to. Often more than once and sometimes quite forcefully (but you have to stay polite). I'm no expert on this (and I don't do weddings as a rule) but have done enough 'big group' shots to know how hard it can be...

Now this is much better.. (y)

Good luck George, Iv just emailed a few Togs advertising for second shooters at weddings and events.. im not sure id DO a wedding on my own just yet though! even if they begged me!! lol.. But im a perfectionist.. i couldnt do it on the off chance i got some good ones.. id want to know i WOULD nail it.. but then im 40yrs old and no matter what people say to you they will still expect something special.. but as you are only 15 i think you could get away with it not being 100%.. i think you take some great pictures.. they do look a bit processed but thats not a bad thing.. I think you could be VERY good in time..

Good luck tou you .. (y)

Just thought I would comment on your traditional is out.
2007 I did 140 weddings turned down over 50
2008 done 36 so far and have 53 booked in to do.
2009 I have 27 booked.
2010 I have 12 booked
Not one couple has asked for anything different then a traditional shoot for a theme thats on it's way out thats not bad.

With so much experience and so many weddings maybe George could assist/shadow on of yours for experience.:naughty:

Just looking at the gear your taking along.

Take the Nikon with the 50mm f1.8 the 18-55 and the 40d with the 70-200 f2.8 lens.
Leave the 70-300 at home, I would also say that you should take a number of compact flash cards.
Watch out if you use the 50mm f1.8 for portraits, wide open.
If you move just a touch the pic will be out of focus, done it a few times myself.
I always take a few at f1.8 then a few at f2.8 and a few at f4.5 that way if you did move a touch you still have a number of great shots. And like I said, take loads of shots of the same thing, and never delete on the job keep the crap ones in there and delete at home on the PC.

Steady on you could be opening the flood gates here!:eek:

I would be prepared to drive up from Bristol to assist/shadow any weddding tog.

So If anyone else needs a second shooter!(y)

Spence

True I have already got a few on the forum who want to tag along this year.

Interesting read. I was in a similar position last month. A couple that I work with asked me to be their photographer, obviously I said no. I had no experience and didnt want them to put me before a pro.

What I didnt know untill the day before was that they didnt actually have a photographer at all! Its a long story but there was no wedding car, no cake just a basic wedding at the local town hall. So anyway they begged me the day before and well I couldnt say no, they werent expecting anything great so there wasnt much pressure on me.

Anyhow imo the day went great, i'm still processing some of their pics but they are really happy with them so far and cant wait to look into it some more and see what the future holds.

On another note PapaLazarou..... is Stockport close enough for me to offer some assistance :D

Wow.

Great read this one - very interesting.

Firstly, in the last few posts some of the advice that has been given is very good - much better than the negative slant on which this posts started!

Secondly - George - good luck on the big day mate - hope all goes well for you! looking forward to seeing the results.

Thirdly - doing my first wedding on June 28th - well nervous. As a teacher, I can manage people very well (helps being a 6'2 psycho Geordie too ;) ) - just need to master the camera now ;)

Good luck George!

Anth.

Fletch, exactly my point, how do you get experience when most pros are not willing to let you tag along to get the experience.

I started out by offering to help professional photographer friends for free on their wedding shoots. In order to meet other photographers you need to network. Go to meets that are organised through these sort of forums. Offer to help others and then they'll help you.

I learnt everything I could about my camera, how to change the settings quickly (and correctly), how it reacts in different situations/lighting etc. How to edit photos. I did some courses too and read every article in every magazine on portrait and wedding photography.

It still scares me.

But I love it.

I had a chat to the photography teacher at school today and he is going to lend me a Cannon DSLR (40D I think) with a 70-200 F2.8 :D Also with a good flashgun:) The other teacher would have lent me his D2x and SB800 if I had got back to his email last week to lend him a clamp for doing motion blur shots on cars. He sent the email to my old email address :(

The teacher that comes in from out of school is actually a pro, so had some rather good tips, such as how to lay out the pictures after the wedding. He was rather suprised too that someone as young as me is shooting a wedding!

George

A tip for you as well, make sure that you take lots of shots of the main people.
For example do a few shots of the bride and groom then take you finger off the shutter then do a few more. Don't just do say 3 shots of one pose and then do another, a lot of the time you will get a person who blinks when the flash fires.

And you end up with 3 shots, 1 with the bride blinking, 1 with the groom 1 with both. So take like 5 shots and then take your finger off the shutter and do 3 more. This also helps as some times your camera might miss focus on a shot. Also do the bride and groom 1st after the wedding ceremony and then all the other stuff and then just before you finish say to the bride and groom, lets do a few more before I go.

Then do another set, this way you are sure you have got plenty of shots of the couple.

That is the best advice of all... take several shots of the same pose. It is a pain going through them on the PC, but you will find dozens of 'eyes shut' shots... I'm still going through the shots I took at a wedding on Friday and the groom was especially bad for this. I'm guessing you could always play around in PS if one was blinking etc, but you really want to keep PS time down to a minimum... PS'ing one or two shots isnt too bad, but when you have a few hundred, it soon gets very tiresome and very time consuming.

George,

First thing is well done for being up for a challenge - it will be that but if you can smile, be polite mix a little with the guest then I think you're half way there especially if you can use the equipment you've at your disposal well. It will be useful to have someone that has a loud voice if you're a little worried but be confident you've a digital camera and have the opportunity of using a laptop to see what the images are like on the day - just imagine what it was like for me when I did my first wedding and had to wait three days for the lab to deliver them back.

Take the reflector - I personally get an usher or best man to hold that when I do the intimate shots of the couple together at the reception venue. I always ask politely and have never once had one turned down, as a thankyou if they have a partner I approach them when the main shots have been taken and take a few nice shots of them together.

When you do large group shots try to have peole slightly angled 45-60 degrees so they can get closer together. I often have the bride and groom sit on a bench and have the best man and ushers on the arms of it (if it has one) you'll be able to get closer to the group and the people will be bigger in the shot.

I think alot of the advice from Papa is good and he obviously has a great deal of knowledge - personally i've shot around fifty weddings I might have one in Crawley late September if you're interested in coming along it's a stones throw from where you live. I don't shoot many weddings per year but I fully concentrate on them when I do!

So I just posted this thread. PapaLazarou, care to help some TP members in your local area out? ;)

Alex

The eyes shut thing is a pain in the arse, most flash guns have a pre flash now and some people see it and others dont. The one's who do see it have there eyes shut when the shutter clicks. They must have a fast reaction time, but I see it all the time, take loads of shots. I would say that a good 60 percent of all shots at a wedding don't make it, thats not to say that it was my fault. It's always eyes moving around, looking at unkle kn@b head with his camera shouting over here looook.

chivers67: It would be brilliant to come along to another wedding, as it is very close...
I will take along a reflector. I can always leave it in the car.

PapaLazarou: I can take around 4000 photos, so I will be able to just take lots and lots of photos. If there is avaliable natural light surely it is better not to use a flash...

I do think that the biggest problem might be people not taking me as seriously because of my age... so I will have to speak out a bit.

I have to say, It does sound like photographers like me must get in the way quite a lot at wedding ;)

George

Also, is it worth bringing my monopod so that I have more stability of the camera in the ceremony?

My monopod was a god send when I shot a wedding a few weeks ago.
The 70-200 is a big old bu**er

chivers67: It would be brilliant to come along to another wedding, as it is very close...
I will take along a reflector. I can always leave it in the car.

PapaLazarou: I can take around 4000 photos, so I will be able to just take lots and lots of photos. If there is avaliable natural light surely it is better not to use a flash...

I do think that the biggest problem might be people not taking me as seriously because of my age... so I will have to speak out a bit.

I have to say, It does sound like photographers like me must get in the way quite a lot at wedding ;)

George

Fill in flash works great for portrait shots even in natural light, it fills in any shadows on the face (FILL FLASH).

WD12.JPG

Natural light with fill flash.

regarding the comment about people skills.(y)
its realy usefull to gain that experience from someone who,s done a fair bit.
it realy is a skill in itself, marshaling about the inlaws and outlaws for the group shots etc.talking to people and even making the odd funny, or telling funny stories about previous weddings can help.
being able to chat to people also makes them relax too. making for nicer shots.especialy the b & g, who will be fairly nervous about their photographs being taken.
keep talking to the b&g, so they know what your doing.if youve done a few weddings, you know what to expect from registrars , vicars etc, and can reasure and help the b&g with the odd comment.
reasuring them that there shotlist is covered and to ask if they want any extra shots of aunty ethel who turns up unanounced.
i have the advantage of a big gob, and a lack of shy nature there.:D

Well, nice advice from all. Im off to do a wedding in the morning.
Ive picked up a few extra tips from you guys.

Thanks!

Ste.

I haven't done a wedding - that I can remember in 35 years or so - but before I went freelance in 1971 I spent 3 years working with/for another photographer - doing maybe 2 a week. It's great training for doing press/PR work as I did later - and still do. You have to know your equipment inside out - be able to operate the camera - with your eyes shut! - well almost - but you know what I mean. You have to be on photog auto pilot - you need all your attention on the PEOPLE - managing the people is 70% of the battle but you must know the camera inside out. When I did it we used film - 120 - 12 shots a roll - now you can shoot as many as you like without worrying about changing film every 12 shots!!

As has been said take loads of shots with lots of variation - but go meet the couple - some are a lot easier to work with than others - you have to learn to put them at their ease and not be hassled. There are ways to deal with amateurs - so that YOU get the good shots and they get what's left. Always stand in front of the bride to direct the couple and set up the next shot - then step back - click and in again - keep their attention on you - TALK to them - all the time. Probably lots more I could say - maybe it's been said - I only skimmed the thread - if you need more specific help - ask! Good luck!

Some really good advice coming out on this thread now :)

My two penneth for what its worth (and in no particular order)

Remember to pee

Always get the shots the B&G have asked for - creativity in images is what most of us hope to achieve, but if great aunt Ethel, who has travelled from Australia for the wedding is in only one shot, there will be some unhappy bunnies...

People at weddings (especially the B&G) are usually out of their comfort zones. Often they will appreciate some direction in terms of where and how to stand - the skill comes in how that direction is delivered.

As PL states fill in flash can be a lifesaver. Shooting with only natural light is something we can all aspire to, however the reality is often that light changes rapidly and for a first wedding, you need to keep it simple.

Remember to pee

Be very aware of backgrounds and particularly about getting horizons straight.

I think the advice related to using the faster glass is excellent. As always there is a compromise between speed and sharpness. The area of focus when shooting wide open is very narrow. Opening up a bit will give you a little leeway.

Channel your obvious enthusiasm and energy into getting the basics right. Let your confidence shine through - people respond so much better if they have confidence in the person taking the pictures. (y)

HTH,

Alan

p.s did I mention - remember to pee :)

Ok, the wedding is this Saturday at 11:15. I have got the camera from school (it is a Cannon 30D with a 18-50 2.8 lens) and I have enough card space (12GB total) - I might be borrowing more off a friend. So I have the kit ready and am ready. I will post some pictures up for you to see how it went, but I want the B&G to see them first as I think that is the way that it should be... Wish me luck :)

George

Just read this from start to finish and I want to wish you good luck.(y)

good luck(y)

Ok, the wedding is this Saturday at 11:15. I have got the camera from school (it is a Cannon 30D with a 18-50 2.8 lens) and I have enough card space (12GB total) - I might be borrowing more off a friend. So I have the kit ready and am ready. I will post some pictures up for you to see how it went, but I want the B&G to see them first as I think that is the way that it should be... Wish me luck :)

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back