1D MK111 & !DS MK111 RECALL LINK

Is yours one of the ones which had a "questionable" serial number originally? Mine isn't and I haven't had time to register yet and was wondering if they'd reject it.

Yes mine is one of the ones that was in the original recall batch, i dont remember seeing anything about having to be in a specific serial number range, so book it and see what they say ?

Mine was manufacured Feb 08 and past the prob serial No. They've emailed me to suggest Wed pick up. It is optional.

I've just got the same email (rescued from the Spam folder) for a Wednesday collection.

Bob

Do UPS bring the label or have Canon sent you a label via email. I have not had a label emailed just a call from the rep saying collecting Tuesday ?

I would imagine that UPS has the label. I was told to pack/wrap the camera well and box it. Also I should enclose a letter with my contact details and the address to which I want the camera returned. The reason for the return should also be stated, since I'm sure they have day to day problems to sort out as well as this "recall". They also said - no accessories, not even the battery. I think that's everything.

Think they would mind my throwing in my 300f2.8L?

Quite seriously, I'd phone them and say you are having probs especially with this lens and I wouldn't be surprised if they said to send it in as well. Nothing to lose!!

I would imagine that UPS has the label. I was told to pack/wrap the camera well and box it. Also I should enclose a letter with my contact details and the address to which I want the camera returned. The reason for the return should also be stated, since I'm sure they have day to day problems to sort out as well as this "recall". They also said - no accessories, not even the battery. I think that's everything.

Very much what I was told. UPS will have the label, Canon will be emailing me on Monday with a UPS ref. Just send in the bare body and a covering letter re the return reason.

I was also advised that they would also do a sensor clean on the body and not to mention that in your covering letter otherwise it it entered onto the system and invalidates the one free sensor clean you can claim during the bodies warranty period.

Also advised to back up all CF settings etc. before returning as there is a possibility, in some instances, that unit would be returned with Canon default settings.

I doubt they would foot the bill for the shipping of the 300, as its not a warranty recall, but no harm trying.
The reason I want them to look at the 300 is it has dismounted itself from the mk3 about 5 times.

How does it dismount itself? odd!

Thats what I am hoping canon will tell me.(y)

Actually it's be worth contacting them to see if they could pick both up at once. I would imagine UPS aren't too bothered, it's just a bigger box (or two) on their van.
If you explain the problem to Canon it should be fairly obvious that they're going to need both the body and lens to check this particular issue, and as they will already be collecting the body for the AF fix it makes a lot of sense... Well that's how I'd put it ;)

It's worth a try anyway!

cheers
Bill

Actually it's be worth contacting them to see if they could pick both up at once. I would imagine UPS aren't too bothered, it's just a bigger box (or two) on their van.
If you explain the problem to Canon it should be fairly obvious that they're going to need both the body and lens to check this particular issue, and as they will already be collecting the body for the AF fix it makes a lot of sense... Well that's how I'd put it ;)

It's worth a try anyway!

cheers
Bill
Thats what I was thinking, I will put them in the same box and send them anyway otherwise I can see them saying( can't find a problem with the camera mount you better send the lens in):D

Can you post how long turaround is, I've been having problems with my 1ds/one shot, seems to front focus every few shots :thinking:
I've got a really busy March and don't want to be without it for very long.

Can you post how long turaround is, I've been having problems with my 1ds/one shot, seems to front focus every few shots :thinking:
I've got a really busy March and don't want to be without it for very long.

They advised me 5 working days.

3 days plus postage

Thats what I was thinking, I will put them in the same box and send them anyway otherwise I can see them saying( can't find a problem with the camera mount you better send the lens in):D
Exactly what I was suggesting. Seems to me they are in a bit of poo at the moment and will prob bend over backwards to satisfy the customer.....or am I being too optimistic??

Try mentioning the "N" word.....:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:(y)

Bob, or anyone, is there an equivalent to this for the 1Ds mk3?..I can't find anything, although I suppose it applies equally.

Sorry George, I've searched all through the site and can't find anything.

I had my email today saying they will be picking up on the 12th and i WILL have it back by the 18th, that's what they said :)

I've got the same deal.

Bob

Sorry George, I've searched all through the site and can't find anything.

Thanks, Bob, when I tried it all came up in Japanese, couldn't get anything in English, although obviously some of the site is.

Thanks anyway for trying, much appreciated. The af settings are as far as I'm aware are the same, but with the slower burst rate of the Dsmk3 the af may have a bit more time to adjust.
George

The email gives the date and there'll be a follow-up the day before with more details.

Bob

The date is agreed on the phone, then its between 9 and 5 on that day ! They send an email with a tracking number on it the day before, so you can make sure it got to the service centre.

MInes picked up tomorrow, early i hope, dont really want to have to wait in all day for it ! lol

This is the email I got.
Dear Customer,

Thank you for submitting your details via our website following our recent announcement of the AF/Error 99 fix.

Due to high volume of forms that have been submitted over the initial few days following the announcement, I apologise that I have as yet been unable to contact you by phone to obtain details for collection of your unit(s). In order to get a help speed things up, I would like to give you the opportunity to provide these details via e-mail. Please see below for the following information which I require in order to arrange a collection for you:

• Preferred date(s) of collection - Currently the earliest available date for collection is Friday 13th March*. Please provide details of availability for the following week (16th to 20th March) also.
  • Full address for collection
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]Please ensure that the unit is packaged appropriately to avoid any damage occurring in transit, bubble wrap and a sturdy box is recommended. If using the original camera box, we recommended to place this inside another box with some padding between the two. There is no need to include any accessories with the camera, however please include a cover letter containing your contact details, your preferred return address and any other information you would like us to be aware of.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]Unfortunately UPS are unable to provide a specific time of day for collection of your package, only that it will be between normal business hours. I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]Once the unit has reached us the day after collection from yourself, we endeavour to provide a maximum 3-day repair turnaround. We use a next day UPS service to ensure that the unit will be back with you the following day after completion.*[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]*Please be advised that customers in Ireland and Scotland may experience a 2 day collection/delivery service as opposed to 1 working day.[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]I look forward to hearing from you soon and thank you for your support of Canon products.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Might be a good idea to put a note in the box asking for the shutter count!

Then again! :eek:

The date is agreed on the phone, then its between 9 and 5 on that day ! They send an email with a tracking number on it the day before, so you can make sure it got to the service centre.

MInes picked up tomorrow, early i hope, dont really want to have to wait in all day for it ! lol
Thanks for that Ian I will phone them in the morning, I guess ups will bring a label?

Mal,

I got the same email as you initially but a further one arrived today with more specific details;

Dear Mr Latham,
Thank you for your response.
I have booked you in for a collection on Thursday 12th March from the address specified.
I will email you with confirmation of the collection on Wednesday 11th March once it has been scheduled and a UPS tracking number has been assigned.

Kind Regards,

This is what i got today

Dear Mr Cook,

Further to our recent communication, this e-mail is to confirm that UPS will collect the package of your EOS 1D MK III at the following address and date specified:

On: Tuesday 10th March 2009 - Between 9 am and 5pm

Your UPS tracking number is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kind Regards,

Well, mine won't be going in until end of April as I'm away to Canada for 3.5 weeks soon, so by that time I'll have heard from you all about how good the fix is!!:D:D and hopefully the turn around time will be shorter. I must admit, I FIND THIS WHOLE BUSINESS A BIT STRANGE, why has it taken them so long to find this problem? Did I see somewhere that most of the faults are within a certain serial no group?

I only purchased mine in February, I have not had a great deal of opportunity to give full run out, it appears ok, and even using outer focus points, but as I have said, limited time etc means very little use YET. How will i know other wise if neeeded to send back?? I really dont fancy sending a virtually brand new camera back if I don't need to. Could anybody provide advice or process of elimination? Many thanks....

Well, mine won't be going in until end of April as I'm away to Canada for 3.5 weeks soon, so by that time I'll have heard from you all about how good the fix is!!:D:D and hopefully the turn around time will be shorter. I must admit, I FIND THIS WHOLE BUSINESS A BIT STRANGE, why has it taken them so long to find this problem? Did I see somewhere that most of the faults are within a certain serial no group?[/quote]

I don't think so this time. Certainly the first AF fix only applied to bodies with a certain range of serial numbers. But this one seems to be across the board.

Back