If I've got this right, the only APSC camera that people have bought is the R7.

I'm contemplating a second R body (to replace my 6d), I'd like to keep the spend under a grand, there's lots to choose from in that list, but obviously with a limited budget, there's compromises to be considered. Anyone have any thoughts.

I'm contemplating a second R body (to replace my 6d), I'd like to keep the spend under a grand, there's lots to choose from in that list, but obviously with a limited budget, there's compromises to be considered. Anyone have any thoughts.
I have a 6d2. I bought the R7 and absolutely love it. I like almost everything about the R7 - the only thing I'm not quite so impressed with is the ISO performance on it. I shoot a lot of sports portraits with the R7 and using autofocus its very good. It will miss at times, however that is usually because I'm trying to autofocus a black part on a subject in some darker wooded areas.

If I was forced into a choice of keeping only one camera, I would keep the R7 without a shadow of doubt. And I am thinking I will enjoy shooting landscape more with the R7 as well.

When I go out to shoot my sports portraits, I take both cameras and both have primes on. R7 & RF85 f/2 - 6D2 & EF300 f/4

MY last thought for you.... the R7 uses the same battery as the 6d 5d R5 R6 with better battery life thana you'd get with the R10 or R50 / R100 and the smaller battery.

Pre-owned original R? It's still a good all-rounder I would say.

What would it be used for?

I'm probably not as fussy as some folk but I bought an R10 to supplement my R5 and I happily use it all the time. It is easy to pack, and light and I'm happy with it.

I got an R5 to pair with my R5. It's the first time I've had matching camera bodies and it's big benefit with all the menus settings etc identical and can copy across with no issues.

What would it be used for?
Helluva question. I’m used to having 2 cameras, and I’m happiest when they’re identical. But I travel a bit and sometimes a slightly smaller body might help.

Also, I’ve a hankering to shoot more wildlife, and the crop might help?
I’d like it to be as similar as possible to the R6, which I think rules out the R and RP?
So I’m probably looking at an R7 but why isn’t an R10 good enough?

I got an R5 to pair with my R5. It's the first time I've had matching camera bodies and it's big benefit with all the menus settings etc identical and can copy across with no issues.
I had 2x 20d’s, 40, 7, and 6’s over the years.
In an ideal world it’d be 2x R6 but it’s a lot of money for ‘toys’ as they’re no more than that nowadays

Thanks all
The R7 is currently above what I’d want to pay, and as there’s no major hurry I’ll store away this info for when I decide to go for it.

And it may end up being a 2nd R6 at that point. Although the ‘extra reach*’ of the R7 is compelling.

* I understand it’s not ‘real’ but with only an R6 as an alternative to crop, it very much is in the practical sense.

Last edited:
Helluva question. I’m used to having 2 cameras, and I’m happiest when they’re identical. But I travel a bit and sometimes a slightly smaller body might help.

Also, I’ve a hankering to shoot more wildlife, and the crop might help?
I’d like it to be as similar as possible to the R6, which I think rules out the R and RP?

I was going to suggest another R6 but if your photography is different to what it used to be (no more weddings Etc?) then perhaps a different model would be useful particularly if you are considering more wildlife where the extra reach is helpful. I am fortunate to have a R7 and a R6, the latter being a recent purchase so I'm still getting used to it. The R7 is for bird/other wildlife.

The R7 has very good AF but can be noisy. The images clean up well with noise reduction software. I think this is mainly due to shooting in poor conditions, perhaps the need for better lenses given the sensor size and type (32.5 MP) and in my case lack of talent.

The menus are very similar, the controls are different but not really a problem.

Used prices seem to have increased recently so you'll probably have to wait a while. Time to try through the the Canon test drive scheme?

I considered an R10 when I was procrastinating about mirrorless. However I wanted the faster shutter on the R7 and then you don't have to go through a menu to change manual to auto focus when using RFs lenses on the camera.

On the buffer - how fast are your SD cards? I was initially disappointed with the buffer on the R6m2 - but a V90/UHS-II card resolved that.

I find the R7 a little awkward to handle after a 7D mk2 and a 1dx mk2 but it’s a very capable camera. For the mk2 version I’d like a battery grip option and a bigger buffer and a bigger form factor.
Literally every time I use my R7 (and it’s currently my only body) I swear at Canon for being a bunch of ****ing know nothing skinflints for not giving us the option of a grip

After owning the R7 for some time now I can say it is great little camera, and yes it does have some issues also bear in mind for its cost it is no cheap R5 !
Yes the controls are different to DSLR's like 5D, 7Dii, 1DX ect. however it is new technology with new buttons for new functions.

I can address the balance and handling concerns as well. Most people will be putting EF lenses on to the R7 as they have no RF lenses which are smaller, and lighter than their EF cousins.
The stupid cost of RF lenses means I will not be buying any Canon RF lenses soon so I will be using heavier, bulkier lenses this will effect the handling.. Though the Sigma RF mount 18-50 f2.8 is on my radar as Canon make no fixed aperture APS-C lenses for the RF mount. The RF 18-45 variable aperture lens 4.5-6.3 which is quite dark compared to Sigma RF 18-50 f2.8.

Last edited:
On the buffer - how fast are your SD cards? I was initially disappointed with the buffer on the R6m2 - but a V90/UHS-II card resolved that.
They're Sandisk Extreme Pro, so 180Mb/S.
I am shooting RAW to one and JPG to the other, so the camera has more processing to do.

I am shooting RAW to one and JPG to the other, so the camera has more processing to do.
CRAW? I've not had buffer issues since switching to that.

Hmmm I'm shooting CRAW + JPG to one - 280MB/s (write) rated card though 300MB/s (read)

I realise canon just badly needed to get anything through the door, and they really needed new 1 series.... R1 = R3 mk II, and it is a mild update with a price bump. Sony will sleep well tonight.

R5 II is a more interesting release. There are 2 main questions about it: 1) what is the DR like, and 2) what will the price of mk1 be like in the clearance sales. Given the ridiculous launch price the 2) becomes a much more relevant one.
And here is what petapixel said: "Nikon Z8 has a similar megapixel count with twice the readout speed and for less money." You kind of needed to be locked in with RF glass to justify the extra outlay really. Not to say it is a bad camera, not at all, but a really bad launch price for sure.

I realise canon just badly needed to get anything through the door, and they really needed new 1 series.... R1 = R3 mk II, and it is a mild update with a price bump. Sony will sleep well tonight.

R5 II is a more interesting release. There are 2 main questions about it: 1) what is the DR like, and 2) what will the price of mk1 be like in the clearance sales. Given the ridiculous launch price the 2) becomes a much more relevant one.
And here is what petapixel said: "Nikon Z8 has a similar megapixel count with twice the readout speed and for less money." You kind of needed to be locked in with RF glass to justify the extra outlay really. Not to say it is a bad camera, not at all, but a really bad launch price for sure.
I think Nikon will sleep well too. The R1 looks very much like a Mk2 R3 but with better transfer rates and the Mk2 R5 does not look as good as the Nikon Z8. I think it is all about the glass which was my dilemma two and a half years ago when I nearly switched to Canon and the R3 before Nikon brought out the Z9. I'm sure the R1 is an excellent camera but £7K - wow.

I think Nikon will sleep well too. The R1 looks very much like a Mk2 R3 but with better transfer rates and the Mk2 R5 does not look as good as the Nikon Z8. I think it is all about the glass which was my dilemma two and a half years ago when I nearly switched to Canon and the R3 before Nikon brought out the Z9. I'm sure the R1 is an excellent camera but £7K - wow.
I am personally also edging towards Z8 even with my EF glass (but no RF) but I realise they are close enough in spec now so the price will be the biggest purchasing factor for most other than any lock-ins. As long as the buyer knows what they are doing they should be able to complete the job with either just as well.

Right now even a panamoz Z9 blows the R5II out of the water for value and with Z8 it is day and night. They need to get closer in range before black friday as long as they can manufacture enough. That's all I could really say.

R1 surely is OK, but like you said it need to be viewed in context... If you have a bunch of big fat RF lenses then you probably will just have to buy one and that's what the marketing department is betting on. However most, I suspect, would opt instead for this R5II here

Last edited:
I am personally also edging towards Z8 even with my EF glass (but no RF) but I realise they are close enough in spec now so the price will be the biggest purchasing factor for most other than any lock-ins. As long as the buyer knows what they are doing they should be able to complete the job with either just as well.

Right now even a panamoz Z9 blows the R5II out of the water for value and with Z8 it is day and night. They need to get closer in range before black friday as long as they can manufacture enough. That's all I could really say.

R1 surely is OK, but like you said it need to be viewed in context... If you have a bunch of big fat RF lenses then you probably will just have to buy one and that's what the marketing department is betting on. However most, I suspect, would opt instead for this R5II here
Z8, Z9, A1, A9, R1, R3,R5, R5ii are out of my budget, let alone buy the new related glass ! lol

My R7 and EF L glass will have to do for now.

I was an early 5Diii adopter and whilst I paid a premium for that, the camera has done well by me for the last ~12 years....I've been saving my pennies (and offloading kit!) and waiting impatiently for the R5ii release. I will probably take the plunge over the next few weeks.

Lovely cameras but both are well beyond the spec I need and the price is way too much for me. I'm looking at getting an R6 mkii , looks like that is just the sweet spot in spec and price for me.

Think I'm going to upgrade the R5 to R5MII. The features that I really like are the better electronic shutter, better AF and pre-shots. I'm a bit puzzled by the R1.

Shooting mainly wildlife (and occasional fast cars) the pre-shooting and better AF (with the return of eye focus) are the features that make it worthwhile for me.

Lovely cameras but both are well beyond the spec I need and the price is way too much for me. I'm looking at getting an R6 mkii , looks like that is just the sweet spot in spec and price for me.
I do agree, the R6 Mkii is just enough to do most things very well, and though I own a R7 and FF EF L glass. The R6 Mkii would complement my style of photography interest with out purchasing a reasonable new used car !

Back