From what I gather these are designed for the latest gen cameras, the SC3 is listed to fit the R3, R1 and R5II, and the SC1 fits only the R3.

Canon appear to have decided that the multi function hotshoe requires protection, the R5 doesn't have the multi function hotshoe.

I suspect the SC3 would fit (hotshoe sized), but it's a hell of a gamble.

Looking at the hotshoes themselves, they look to have similar dimensions... Perhaps I'll have a crafty test when they R1 and R5II make it to stores

On the R5, are you able to stop the camera saving a merged JPEG when shooting HDR ?

Thanks in advance

Does "Save Source Images", "All Images", do the trick?

From what I gather these are designed for the latest gen cameras, the SC3 is listed to fit the R3, R1 and R5II, and the SC1 fits only the R3.

Canon appear to have decided that the multi function hotshoe requires protection, the R5 doesn't have the multi function hotshoe.

I suspect the SC3 would fit (hotshoe sized), but it's a hell of a gamble.
Does this mean the New R series camera can not mount for example 580EX Mkii, 430EX Mkii etc ! ?

Looking at the hotshoes themselves, they look to have similar dimensions... Perhaps I'll have a crafty test when they R1 and R5II make it to stores
See my link above. The new hotshoe covers are specifically designed to protect the 28 new contacts at the front of the hotshoe in a space that doesn't exist on the traditional hotshoe on the R5. So the covers won't fit our older cameras, they're designed to do a job we don't have a need for

I'm puzzled why anyone would want to spend so much money on a cover they don't need (even if it did fit). Canon DSLR's and mirrorless cameras have rarely before had a hotshoe cover (the only one I ever had was on the M5 - and obviously it didn't last a year, cos there's nowhere sensible to put it when you need the hotshoe) I've owned about 20 Canon's and that was the only one with a cover

Last edited:
On the R5, are you able to stop the camera saving a merged JPEG when shooting HDR ?

Thanks in advance
Surely if you want to create a HDR image, you have 2 options?

1 let the camera do it (HDR mode)
2 bracket shots and merge yourself in editing software. (Auto bracket)

Though I can see the attraction in shooting HDR in camera to get an idea of what the merged shot would look like - as we can with B&W

Last edited:
You've probably seen this already, perhaps some of you may be interested.

R1X
R1S
R5C Mark II
R6 Mark III
R7 Mark II

R1X
R7 Mark II
R6 Mark III

Give this a read: EOSHD

"For those expecting a high resolution R1, or something just generally more advanced, all I can say is… Wait a bit longer."

Well having just picked up an R7 today, you can rest assured a MkII is on the way :ROFLMAO:

You've probably seen this already, perhaps some of you may be interested.

R1X
R1S
R5C Mark II
R6 Mark III
R7 Mark II

R1X
R7 Mark II
R6 Mark III

Give this a read: EOSHD

"For those expecting a high resolution R1, or something just generally more advanced, all I can say is… Wait a bit longer."
Forgive the bluntness, but that’s the most pointless piece of ‘journalism’ I’ve ever read.

Summary.
All Canons latest mirrorless cameras will be subject to a new and upgraded version at some point in the future.

And if that’s news to any readers here, I’ve lost all faith in the species.

Last edited:
Canon repairs now CPS doesn't exist and I don't have access to the "new" version -> whats the best route?

This idiot managed to lean his 100-500 up right on a monopod and it fell over.

The lens was originally really really stiff to zoom. I've freed it up by pumping it but still stiff from 100-200mm.... got a few weeks where I don't need it so thinking I should get it checked.

Photos still ok so IS and lens groups don't seem effected.

What an idiot

Canon repairs now CPS doesn't exist and I don't have access to the "new" version -> whats the best route?

Still exactly the same as it used to be if you didn't have CPS membership.

Send it to Canon Elstree but it will take a bit longer.

Reactions: A_S
Still exactly the same as it used to be if you didn't have CPS membership.

Send it to Canon Elstree but it will take a bit longer.

Thanks, I don't need it till W/E 31st hope thats enough time...! I'll make an enquiry tomorrow.

I used to have CPS as the amount of stuff I'd bought put me in a teir where I could get a replacement free of charge (i think) on loan, but still had to pay for the repair athough it was done at express speed!

It's usually 2 weeks from getting the estimate. You can speed it up by going for the rapid turnaround service but it's still not that quick.

Thanks, paaid for the rapid turn around hopefully they are as communicative as they used to be, and allow me to send the return to a friend as I am away for 2 weeks (hence why I have the time to send it away!)

Well it's the answer to your question, so only you can know if it helps or not.

Not sure how this helps my question

Then either I don't understand what you want to achieve or you don't understand how HDR images are made in camera.

From my understanding you want to use HDR mode but not have the camera create a merged jpg file. I assume you want to merge the files yourself in post processing.
The way you achieve that is by using auto exposure compensation. You get 3,5,7 exposures in either jpg or raw but no auto merged file. You also have more control over the number of exposures and the number of stops between each exposure.

HDR is just an "automatic" mode.

Got an R7 recently and still trying to get to grips with all the features - knocks spots off my beloved 7d but I do miss the on-board flash. I have a 430EXII flash that is no longer operable off camera and the question is what are the options to recover that i.e. cables, trigger/receiver combo? Any suggestions ... or is just not worth the effort of recovery but replace instead?

Got an R7 recently and still trying to get to grips with all the features - knocks spots off my beloved 7d but I do miss the on-board flash. I have a 430EXII flash that is no longer operable off camera and the question is what are the options to recover that i.e. cables, trigger/receiver combo? Any suggestions ... or is just not worth the effort of recovery but replace instead?
TBH The ‘near IR’ canon flash protocol is pants and I’m surprised you miss it.

The easiest and cheapest way of going back to what you had is another 2nd hand 430EX.

A better option would be to look at a proper radio wireless setup from Godox. Maybe 2nd hand (I’ve no idea what the market looks like)

Thanks Phi.l - very grateful for the advice. It was handy just as a fill-in and easily accessible. Adding a flash unit is cumbersome and not something that I want to carry as a matter of course. Hmmm interesting option of a 2nd 430EXII - one on board. one off - didn't think of that and I do have a sub tucked away as it happens. Silly question possibly ... I'm a non-tech amateur with nigh zero knowledge in such things but .... does the Godox solution involve a trigger & receiver or can I get away with just a receiver?

Thanks Phi.l - very grateful for the advice. It was handy just as a fill-in and easily accessible. Adding a flash unit is cumbersome and not something that I want to carry as a matter of course. Hmmm interesting option of a 2nd 430EXII - one on board. one off - didn't think of that and I do have a sub tucked away as it happens. Silly question possibly ... I'm a non-tech amateur with nigh zero knowledge in such things but .... does the Godox solution involve a trigger & receiver or can I get away with just a receiver?
Why is your 430EXII “no longer operable off camera”? How were you operating it off camera before?

To get it off camera you could use a cable or a transmitter/receiver. Godox is a good option especially if you think you will be getting more lights. Yongnuo and others may be cheaper for back transmitter and receiver.

Hi Tim. 430EXII worked off camera with the 7d but needs an RT device to operate for R7. So a 430EXIII would work but not the EXII ... at least so it has proven. My needs are such that a tethered flash could work for me. Cheapest option I suppose ... other than trying the dual flash set up using 2 x 430s that Phil suggested.

Hi Carl, maybe it was being fired by the optical trigger of the cameras flash? If so maybe you only need a very small flash to put on the R7 to do the same job?

Yes, ,I think that was the case Tim - optical as distinct from radio. A small cheap flash sounds good to me - should work. Will test out.

Yes, ,I think that was the case Tim - optical as distinct from radio. A small cheap flash sounds good to me - should work. Will test out.
The 430ex is the smallest and cheapest flash with a transmitter you can get I think.

But if a cable would work for you, let me know cos I may have an OCSC2 that could be for sale ;)
Wouldn’t be expensive

To keep within the rules, I think you should put up a ‘wanted’ ad if that’s the solution

Last edited:
Brilliant - thanks Phil. I'll try out the dual combo 430s first. I also have an ST-E2 transmitter now to try too. Surely one of those will work ?!?!

Hi Tim. 430EXII worked off camera with the 7d but needs an RT device to operate for R7. So a 430EXIII would work but not the EXII ... at least so it has proven. My needs are such that a tethered flash could work for me. Cheapest option I suppose ... other than trying the dual flash set up using 2 x 430s that Phil suggested.
I have owned the 7D, and still got my 7Dii even though I am R7 owner now I still like to use my 7Dii.
I also have 430EX Mkii and 580EX Mkii both will work off camera with my 7D & 7Dii as the on board flash has a pulse trigger mode to fire the speedltes.

The 430EXii and 580EXii will work on the hot shoe of my R7 and for off camera flash I use Godox trigger X2T and Godox receivers X1R

Thanks T. I miss my 7d - such a great camera (sniff). Getting to grips with the R7 but miss the convenience of the on-board flash as a fill-in - I was even thinking of getting a slim/cheap/light 90EX unit to compensate but not sure whether that could trigger an off-camera slave The 430EXII certainly does work on the hot shoe and off camera in conjunction with another device on board - in my case my other (retired) 430EXII which developed a temperamental disposition so a bit hit & miss. Cable cheapest but am tempted by the Godox solution. Good to have an R7 user endorsement - thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks T. I miss my 7d - such a great camera (sniff). Getting to grips with the R7 but miss the convenience of the on-board flash as a fill-in - I was even thinking of getting a slim/cheap/light 90EX unit to compensate but not sure whether that could trigger an off-camera slave The 430EXII certainly does work on the hot shoe and off camera in conjunction with another device on board - in my case my other (retired) 430EXII which developed a temperamental disposition so a bit hit & miss. Cable cheapest but am tempted by the Godox solution. Good to have an R7 user endorsement - thanks again
Though I do like Canon Speedlites, if I have to buy speedlites again I would get cheaper ones as Canon, Sony are very, very expensive.

Look at Godox TT350C 2.4G HSS 1/8000 as this little bad boy can be used as master or slave, and Trigger for other Godox speedlites or receivers.
It is slightly smaller than the 430EXii, so size wise the form factor goes well with the R7

I have the TT350S for my Sony A6600, and it works very well even though the sync speed of 1/160 is not great it is OK. I can also fire my Canon 430EXii and 580EXii with Godox receivers when using the TT350S on my Sony A6600.
Also when I use my R7 with a Godox Trigger I can fire my ( when of camera of course ) Canon 430EXii, 580EXii with Godox receivers, and also the TT350S ( Sony fit ) speedlite as it has a built in receiver !
Another thing to check out are batteries as all the speedlites I have mentioned run on AA batteries I use Panasonic eneloop. These hold their charge for months, and can be recharged in most cheap chargers.

Don’t like to disagree with @Tysonator but I flipping hated the TT350. It holds 2 AA batteries and therefore recycles way too slowly.

I bought it to use with the M5, and it added to the frustration of all that kit.

The ST-T2 proved relatively useless and whilst the dual 430EXII arrangement worked, it was hit and miss given the reliance on a old faulty unit I had retired some time ago. I was tempted by a cable solution but have now treated myself to a Godox X2T and X1R - delivery due next week. Speedlites are expensive and there are cheaper options but I already get quite frustrated at the rate of progressive diminishment in recycling times as battery power wanes, I would be conscious of exacerbating that any further ... even though my need for fast multi-shot flashes is rare. I think I'll stick with the single Speedlite for now anyway. Thank you both for your very helpful advice.

The ST-T2 proved relatively useless and whilst the dual 430EXII arrangement worked, it was hit and miss given the reliance on an old faulty unit I had retired some time ago. I was tempted by a cable solution but have now treated myself to a Godox X2T and X1R - delivery due next week. Speedlites are expensive and there are cheaper options but I already get quite frustrated at the rate of progressive diminishment in recycling times as battery power wanes, I would be conscious of exacerbating that any further ... even though my need for fast multi-shot flashes is rare. I think I'll stick with the single Speedlite for now anyway. Thank you both for your very helpful advice.
From what I understand of how you’ll use it, ensure you set the transmission distance to the close setting to avoid misfires due to the flash being too close. It’s a requirement with radio triggers.

You're understanding is spot on - I'll make sure to do that. Thank you,.

Don’t like to disagree with @Tysonator but I flipping hated the TT350. It holds 2 AA batteries and therefore recycles way too slowly.

I bought it to use with the M5, and it added to the frustration of all that kit.
This is the trade off with using speedlites over a studio flash. It really all depends on how much light / power you need or what your budget is !

I would suggest for off camera speelites you can buy power packs that plug in to canon speedlites as there are plenty of chinse knock off versions, or just buy more panasonic eneloop batteries. Either option is cheaper than buying a studio flash.

I believe Godox produce the AD 100 the smallest studio flash I have ever seen which has built in battery, and mains powered.

Like I say it all depends how much money you want to throw at the problem. For me I have 2 very good Canon Speedlites the 580EXii & 430EXii which I use with Godox triggers and receivers. The system works well enough for my simple amateur use.

I do agree the TT350 with only 2 AA batteries does suffer after after some prolong use with recycle time, Though bear in mind it is by its form factor a small, very portable speedlite for smaller speedlite cameras it will have this issue.
There is no way I am paying over £600 for a Canon 600EXii RT flash for very occasional use, Therefore I will continue to use my 430EXii & 580EXii till the day they die ! lol

it be helpful if speedlite could be powered by Canon LP-E6 batteries as most Canon users have lots of spares knocking around. It appears that Canon is engineering it's newest cameras to not accept older LP-E6, or third party LP-E6 batteries. Though I would love LED light panels, speedlites ect to be able to accept these type of batteries, oh well, I can dream,......lol

There is no way I am paying over £600 for a Canon 600EXii RT flash
That would be a special kind of ... Well you know what.

This buys you ad600pro or 3x ad200. It's probably best to start with the latter and add bigger guns later

Back