D500

Surprised you haven't gone for the 5div

Nah too much money. I quite like the nikons now I've grown into them [emoji106] and learnt the my menu etc

Least the stirrer back ha ha

So, yesterday was my first day out with the D500 and new 300mm.

A friend offered to fly some of her birds for me so thought it would be good practise. The weather was abysmal tho...

1/2000 f4 at 2800 ISO

31887209781_a1462422eb_b.jpg

31967840686_d0b318dd71_b.jpg

Last edited:
So, yesterday was my first day out with the D500 and new 300mm.

A friend offered to fly some of her birds for me so thought it would be good practise. The weather was abysmal tho...

1/2000 f4 at 2800 ISO

31887209781_a1462422eb_z.jpg

31967840686_d0b318dd71.jpg
Nice pics, bit too tightly cropped for me though, especially the second.

It was flying so fast towards me I didn't have any more room on it but yes, I get where you're coming from (y)

Just edited the links so they're a bit bigger...
Ahh, with the dimensions /ratio I thought you'd cropped heavily. They are great captures though.

Ahh, with the dimensions /ratio I thought you'd cropped heavily. They are great captures though.

Thanks, don't usually go for captive birds but as they were on offer I thought I'd snap up the chance to test focus and my reactions :D

The second one, I actually shopped a bit more on in ps as I'd chopped one of the wings off so maybe that's why the weird dimensions.

Cheers for the comments tho... I need spring ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, don't usually go for captive birds but as they were on offer I thought I'd snap up the chance to test focus and my reactions :D

The second one, I actually shopped a bit more on in ps as I'd chopped one of the wings off so maybe that's why the weird dimensions.

Cheers for the comments tho... I need spring ;)

Spring's a'coming...the buds are getting bigger,
DSC_4808 by Thomas Reid, on Flickr

Time for me to join the D500 gang. I have seen what 2017 has in store for me and the D500 is for me.
Cool, why the change?

Time for me to join the D500 gang. I have seen what 2017 has in store for me and the D500 is for me.

Welcome onboard hope it won't take you long to get it pal [emoji106]

What happened to some on posts on here??

Just seen a 4 month old d500 go on avf for £1000 :eek: someone got a bargain

Cool, why the change?

I guess also was not happy with today's images. The girls loved them. But you know how it is as the photographer, never happy!

The D500 may or may not have done a better job, but the 10fps will definitely give more options to choose from when it comes to the horses running and jumping.

Bad shoot = blame the gear = GAS = questionable decisions!

I guess also was not happy with today's images. The girls loved them. But you know how it is as the photographer, never happy!

The D500 may or may not have done a better job, but the 10fps will definitely give more options to choose from when it comes to the horses running and jumping.

Nothing wrong with that horse running pic you posted earlier imo, looks bang on (y)

Not just the 10fps the tracking locks on quicker

Not just the 10fps the tracking locks on quicker

I can't comment on the D500, but that's one thing I have never had trouble with on the D750. Seems to lock on straight away? But can't compare it to anything else!

I can't comment on the D500, but that's one thing I have never had trouble with on the D750. Seems to lock on straight away? But can't compare it to anything else!

I reckon you best staying with the d750 then pal

Right guys

Which the better lens

Sigma 150-600 C
Nikon 200-500

IQ, Speed, AF and sharpness

IQ, Speed, AF and sharpness

I've had neither but from the views of a good number of others, the 200-500 comes out top with IQ and sharpness but falls slightly with AF speed ... of course the Sigma has an extra 100mm too. :)

I've had neither but from the views of a good number of others, the 200-500 comes out top with IQ and sharpness but falls slightly with AF speed ... of course the Sigma has an extra 100mm too. :)

Hmm so sigma AF faster wasn't expecting that

What have u had

Right guys

Which the better lens

Sigma 150-600 C
Nikon 200-500

Just finished a weeks hire with the Nikon 200-500, on the D500, and if it's any help. the focusing compared to my Tamron 150-600 was, noticeably, much slower on the Nikon.

I hired it with a view to buying it but my verdict is that I'm staying with the Tamron. It has generated some lovely images but I don't think it's worth the extra money.

What have u had
Tamron 150-600 ... very good lens, just wanted better.
Nikon 300 f2.8 VRII ... superb lens but fell into the wildlife trap of needing longer.
Nikon 400 f2.8 AF-S ... as above but still often regret selling it.
Nikon 500 f4 VR & 300 VR PF ... gives me the 'better' I wanted :)

Back