D500

Andrew,not many people can tell wether a photo has been shot with FF or crop though they may say so,dont believe the hype,y our photos are looking just as good as the d750 ones you took

has

Thank you for your lovely kind comments

Andrew,not many people can tell wether a photo has been shot with FF or crop though they may say so,dont believe the hype,y our photos are looking just as good as the d750 ones you took

has
Very true, I wouldn't be able to tell on a blind test. When you have both you can see in your own files with regards to noise, and sometimes DOF, but otherwise the difference in the final image can be negligible.

Thank guys. It still produce stunning images don't know why I miss FF though lol

Thank guys. It still produce stunning images don't know why I miss FF though lol
Because the grass is always greener on the other side :)

I haven't been using my D500 much as it is mainly for wildlife and that always slows down at this time of year.

It may be sat in its bag for 3 months but it is that good that I would sell the D810 before letting the D500 go.

Last edited:
Because the grass is always greener on the other side :)

I haven't been using my D500 much as it is mainly for wildlife and that always slows down at this time of year.

It may be sat in its bag for 3 months but it is that good that I would sell the D810 before letting the D500 go.

Wow you would choose d500 over your d810

Wow you would choose d500 over your d810
100% for wildlife - the focusing and speed that it shoots at puts it ahead of the D810.

I used the D810 for wildlife for 2 years and compared them both side by side for a few weeks when I got the D500.

I was hesitant to believe that the D500 was the right move as I had a D7100 and D7200 (as backups) before that, but still stuck with the D810.

Within 3 trips out using both cameras I knew that the D500 was the right tool for the job and started leaving the D810 at home.

The D500 is constantly on the 500mm lens now.

If I was shooting portraits or landscapes then the D810 will get an outing - but I am sure the D500 would do a great job.

I have no reason to sell the D810 - so it is there for when required :)

I think I may end up with 2 bodies at one point today get best of everything just have to sneak it past Mrs without knowing lol

@rookies - here is a shot from earlier this year.

I took both the D500 and D810 with me. The light was starting to fade so decided to use the D810. It was mounted on my 500mm F4 which was on a gimble head / tripod.

The owl was hunting in a field and focusing was hard as it was in and out of the grass as it flew. The D810 was not great - it struggled in the conditions to lock focus.

I took it off the lens and put the D500 on - what a difference - it locked on and was a joy to use.

One of the shots:
Hunting LEO by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of the DR of this camera

Fine for me so far but can't remember what I got out of d750 I tend to get exposure right most of tine

Fine for me so far but can't remember what I got out of d750 I tend to get exposure right most of tine
You need therapy ;) :p

The D750 is 0.5ev better at base, they equal out at around ISO 300 and then the D500 is better by about 0.1ev to 2000 after which they are equal. Are you going to notice 0.5ev at base? I very much doubt it.

Yes you offering to give me therapy lol I really need help ha ha

Going get a few more Lens first then go from there

Yes you offering to give me therapy lol I really need help ha ha

Going get a few more Lens first then go from there
I would advise going back and shooting with film so it really wouldn't matter which camera you shot with, but then you'd ask a million questions about which film is best :p

I would advise going back and shooting with film so it really wouldn't matter which camera you shot with, but then you'd ask a million questions about which film is best :p

Lmfao.

Oh oh twist is back he liked the post

Precisely. What I'm saying is that if m43 users can get good shots from a camera with much less DR, then you'll have no issues.

You've seen that the d500 is great at high ISO - go out and use it and stop worrying about what other cameras do. There is no perfect camera or manufacturers would be out of business

I think I want to try a D500. But not sure... the focus and FPS are really tempting me!

I think I want to try a D500. But not sure... the focus and FPS are really tempting me!
GAS alert :p

I know the D500 has a better AF system but have you found the D750 lacking? It does everything I ask of it, including BIF which is one of the most demanding tests. FPS could be useful for the horse leg position but I think you'll just end up with double the amount of very similar looking shots.

The big advantage as far as I'm concerned is the AF spread, I would love that as I find quite often with wildlife that there's not enough coverage so have to zoom out to get the AF point over the subject where I want it and then crop in post to get the framing I want. Doing this also reduces subject isolation :(

Ha ha

Me and JJ could always swap if we decide go different direction. But after a hard think last night there really nothing wrong with this d500. It just need a couple of VR lens.

Oh and yes the spread of AF is lovely since am use to it from Sony A7ii. Looking online last night to remind me the d750 is quite central compared

Hello everyone [emoji3][emoji3]

Nah staying awesome camera

More likely but staying Nikon so don't have to mess with lens anymore [emoji106]

Back