weekly Flyphots 52 for 2021: Week 52 'Showcase'

Week 30 - Snappers Choice

This is an idea I had a few weeks ago, not sure it's worked but I kind of like it. Perhaps it would be better with more horses in the field (?)

Comp works just right. Maybe a little brighter?

Comp works just right. Maybe a little brighter?

Cheers, it was brighter but seems to have been darkened when I uploaded it to Flickr, for some odd reason.

I don't think I've seen one of those types in the 52 before,
rare as Rocking horse ... never mind :D

Nice idea Jim (y)

I don't think I've seen one of those types in the 52 before,
rare as Rocking horse ... never mind :D

Nice idea Jim (y)

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Thanks Chris

Week 31 - Hands

Lego hands, a nice collection you have Jim. Very narrow depth of field, not sure it helps

Pete

Lego hands, a nice collection you have Jim. Very narrow depth of field, not sure it helps

Pete

Cheers Pete, I know what you mean about the DoF, i've been pondering it too.

Didn’t know what these were!! My knowledge of Lego ended around the time the first wheels came out and the light brick you had to connect to a big battery!!

Didn’t know what these were!! My knowledge of Lego ended around the time the first wheels came out and the light brick you had to connect to a big battery!!

haha, I deliberately left a description out, to see how many knew (but now the cat's out of the bag anyway ;) )

Not a fan of Lego at all a good collection of hands though, DoF already mentioned perhaps not the best BG either

Not a fan of Lego at all a good collection of hands though, DoF already mentioned perhaps not the best BG either

cheers (I think ;) )

Week 32 - Fur

This squirrel has been eating plenty of nuts from the bird feeders in our garden ..

Nice shots...
...and curious -- but have you tried putting some hdr tech on the first pic? bring up a little more fur detail (as it is in the shade)

as for lego hands.. I thought that was neat... DoF, perhaps you can re-shoot and try stacking on it for more in focus (although I haven't managed to get that tech to work yet)...

Thanks. No, no HDR on either, pretty much SOOC with just some minor contrast and levels adjustments, although I do notice some odd artefacts around the flowers which i'm wondering could be something to do with the import from Flickr, not sure.

Nice squiggle pix. All I;d tweak is his face / eye on shot one to bring out a bit more detail / light.

Nice squiggle pix. All I;d tweak is his face / eye on shot one to bring out a bit more detail / light.

Thanks Dave, much appreciated

Fur
I like the first one, it shows the agility of the squirrel, nice backlight too.

Fur
I like the first one, it shows the agility of the squirrel, nice backlight too.

Thanks Dominic, yes it's a very agile squirrel indeed!

Hands is very original, great idea.

I love the squirrel shot you've chosen. The oof background colour lifts the composition.

The light is captured nicely on your squirrel shot, But I also like the detail in the second one.

Pete

The first pic does it for me for the fur entry, I really like the detail captured on the head. Colourful background too.

It seems such a common thing these days, to make sure our hands are clean in public places ...

It might seem common, but somehow I completely missed the idea of all the signs and notices for theme ideas and went right off piste.

The contrast between science and religion here also made me smile.

It might seem common, but somehow I completely missed the idea of all the signs and notices for theme ideas and went right off piste.

The contrast between science and religion here also made me smile.

Thanks Ian, yes the 'science/religion' angle was one of the reasons I made this particular image.

Clean - As Ian says, that's a clever idea counter posing Church & Science :)
Fur - Torn here. I like the close up of the second shot, but also the suggestion of action in the first one.
Hands - As others have said, perhaps a contender for a stacking shot. Alternatively, no f2.8 as a shot like this can either be lit or be taken on a tripod to allow a long shutter.
Snappers - Chuckle, I love that. I don't think you needed any more horses, there were sufficient to get your point across :)

Clean - As Ian says, that's a clever idea counter posing Church & Science :)
Fur - Torn here. I like the close up of the second shot, but also the suggestion of action in the first one.
Hands - As others have said, perhaps a contender for a stacking shot. Alternatively, no f2.8 as a shot like this can either be lit or be taken on a tripod to allow a long shutter.
Snappers - Chuckle, I love that. I don't think you needed any more horses, there were sufficient to get your point across :)

Thanks Tim, really appreciate the comments (y)

Patterns
Very interesting item with lots of different textures with its overall appeal aided by the light falling on it.

Personal
A sight that is noticed far too often with this disposable society, presumably the wearer's think its perfectly acceptable to throw the mask away when it no longer serves a purpose. It works well for the theme with the colour pop just giving that extra edge.

Green
Getting more than one theme connection was good going.

Snappers Choice
I would see that bird and not immediately think of a robin, also expecting the red breasted variety. Nice sharp image with lots of detail in the feathers.

Looking down
The monkey does look depressed and captures the theme perfectly, the eyes and facial expression adding to the overall mood. The buddha works well too and you can envisage it staring down at you.

Indigenous
The bird seed in our feeder doesn't get much attention, its normally the peanuts that regularly need replaced. Well time capture with the sparrow blending well with the seed colours.

Plants
Well spotted, it would have been easy to walk by, I think that one thing photography give you is an appreciation of your environment and makes you look at things you might have ordinarily ignored

Dominating
A really sharp image that has the classic HDR look about it, its the water that gets my attention first.

Snappers Choice
Could have been interesting shot lower down through the legs of the rocking horse capturing the real horse.

Hands
An interesting collection, I'm just trying to work out what figure they would come from, especially the gold ones.

Fur
Acrobatic squirrel pose captured well, presumably you had to freeze movement of the feeder.

Clean
The companies producing all the PPE and liquids necessary for the pandemic must be one sector of the economy that is growing. We have become a bit robot like going through the sequence of using the hand dispensers when entering premises. Its surprising the difference in the liquids too, some are like water and you end up excessively rubbing you hands together to try and absorb it, or you pass the extra to your other half if next to you :)

Patterns
Very interesting item with lots of different textures with its overall appeal aided by the light falling on it.

Personal
A sight that is noticed far too often with this disposable society, presumably the wearer's think its perfectly acceptable to throw the mask away when it no longer serves a purpose. It works well for the theme with the colour pop just giving that extra edge.

Green
Getting more than one theme connection was good going.

Snappers Choice
I would see that bird and not immediately think of a robin, also expecting the red breasted variety. Nice sharp image with lots of detail in the feathers.

Looking down
The monkey does look depressed and captures the theme perfectly, the eyes and facial expression adding to the overall mood. The buddha works well too and you can envisage it staring down at you.

Indigenous
The bird seed in our feeder doesn't get much attention, its normally the peanuts that regularly need replaced. Well time capture with the sparrow blending well with the seed colours.

Plants
Well spotted, it would have been easy to walk by, I think that one thing photography give you is an appreciation of your environment and makes you look at things you might have ordinarily ignored

Dominating
A really sharp image that has the classic HDR look about it, its the water that gets my attention first.

Snappers Choice
Could have been interesting shot lower down through the legs of the rocking horse capturing the real horse.

Hands
An interesting collection, I'm just trying to work out what figure they would come from, especially the gold ones.

Fur
Acrobatic squirrel pose captured well, presumably you had to freeze movement of the feeder.

Clean
The companies producing all the PPE and liquids necessary for the pandemic must be one sector of the economy that is growing. We have become a bit robot like going through the sequence of using the hand dispensers when entering premises. Its surprising the difference in the liquids too, some are like water and you end up excessively rubbing you hands together to try and absorb it, or you pass the extra to your other half if next to you :)

Thanks for taking the time to comment Stuart, much appreciated.

It's so obvious that it never even crossed my mind :D . Nicely composed image with just the right amount of focus.

It's so obvious that it never even crossed my mind :D . Nicely composed image with just the right amount of focus.

Thank you Helen :)

Week 34 - Glass

Sea glass, in a gin glass

Last edited:
Do you collect it, I love to pick things up at the beach. Plenty of glass in there and bang on theme.

Back