weekly Flyphots 52 for 2021: Week 52 'Showcase'

Do you collect it, I love to pick things up at the beach. Plenty of glass in there and bang on theme.

Thanks Allan, my wife loves to collect glass and driftwood, she makes art from it too

That's a beautifully lit shot.

Thanks Helen, it took some time to get it as I wanted it. I had an idea of how i'd like it to look and made a 'light box' from an old carboard box, cut the front out, and a hole in the top for an LED torch to shine directly down on the glass. Then I put some black card in the back of the box and just used a sheet of white writing paper to 'soften' the LED. I'm quite pleased with how it came out.

Glass
I like the way the light peters out. It gives a sort of, drink with a head.

Glass
I like the way the light peters out. It gives a sort of, drink with a head.

Thanks Dominic, that was the plan, also the glass in the lower half of the glass is green.

Week 35 - Snappers Choice

I took a trip to North Devon and Cornwall tesyerday, hers an intimate landscape I made on Crackington Haven beach, long exposure (yes, i've boosted the colours a bit, but that's the look I wanted from the image).

That's gorgeous - BIG print jobbie :)

That’s a lovely image, as said above if it was mine I’d be printing it :)

Week 36 Unnatural.

An unnatural statue of a hare, lit in an unnatural way and in unnatural colours (the second image is the correct colours):

Last edited:
Niiice - remeinds me somehow of Donnie Darko :)

Yes Donnie Darko it was bugging me, its quite disturbing, I like it.

Reminds me of D... Oh wait...

I like it. Very dramatic and spooky. Ticks the box.

Great bit of editing to colourise like that. What was the process?
I do like the dramatic effect you've achieved.

Thanks, I just pulled the white balance to the warm end and the colour temp to the cool end (I fiddled until i'd got it where I wanted it), then selective colour added saturation for each colour range until it was really vibrant. I think it works OK as the background is completely black so was ignored in that process.

Reactions: LC2
Unnatural
When I first saw this, the first thing that came to mind was Donnie darko. I think it's the lighting that gives it that spooky feel.

Unnatural
When I first saw this, the first thing that came to mind was Donnie darko. I think it's the lighting that gives it that spooky feel.

Thanks, it seems that Donnie Darko is popular.

Week 37 - Natural

Still haven't got round to doing the tech yet, but here's something that's pretty natural.

Yep - ticks the box nicely :)

Except that they're the perfect shape and have the perfect angled cutting edge for gouging wooden bowls.
And they're in two cardboard boxes and two thickwalled plastic bags each clearly labelled "300 steel fingernails" and "200 steel fingernails" - not many people box and label scrap.

I accept that they're made from stainless steel, which doesn't seem to me to be the ideal material, but presumably it has qualities that make it suitable.

Yep - ticks the box nicely :)

Nice close up.
Worth clicking through to Flickr for, as TP has muddied the wings I think.

Thanks both, much appreciated. And yes i'd agree about clicking through to Flickr

Nice sharp shot of the butterfly and yes much better on Flickr I’m always amazed that people hardly ever click through to Flickr especially as this is a photography site anyway rant over, bang on theme.

Nice sharp shot of the butterfly and yes much better on Flickr I’m always amazed that people hardly ever click through to Flickr especially as this is a photography site anyway rant over, bang on theme.

Thanks Allan, I appreciate the comments

Week 38 - Autumn

is on its way ...

Tick the box - no sign of leaves turning here yet.

Tick the box - no sign of leaves turning here yet.

Thanks Dave, it's not a 'portfolio' image but, as you say, it ticks the box

I saw something similar on our apple tree and thought it was interesting and an "on the way" sort of shot. So I really like this and whilst - as you say - it's not a portfolio image, it would make a great filler image in a series.

Back