Heat.

Quite pleasant here at the moment, although it is quite grey and cool. Dry, breezy and 14°c.

Lovely day from the start or as they say in the US the get-go..Lol . It got to 28ºC in the afternoon so I had to stop the gardening work which was no bad thing as my wife tells me I don't know when to stop..Lol. She's always right.

I'm back up in my London place for a time or two now and it's a beautiful sunny morning here with a temperature of 15°-C at the moment and a gentle breeze.

"I've been out since first light and have stopped snapping for a while to try on some breakfast before hitting the streets again. And then this afternoon it's off to the football to watch my beloved Arsenal" :)

Last edited:
Bit chilly up on the Moor at 07:15 but warmed up once I dropped down to the coast.

Much the same here as yesterday so far, dull, grey but dry. 15°c.

It might only be 15°c but that will make for an uncomfortable river walk later.

Yesterday tuned out very warm and was a long day for me, I was virtually out from first light until well into the evening with a visit to see Arsenal in between and according to my cell phone I did over 40,000 steps.

I managed to get out for a bit of street snapping sharpish again this morning and then thought I'd give "Brick Lane" @garryknight snapping patch a look to see what's going on.

First thing this morning here in London was nice and bright with a gentle breeze but now its down to sunny intervals with a temperature of 20°-C at the moment and a stronger breeze.

It's quite windy here today but it is bright and sunny at the moment. Currently 13°c.
On the 6.00pm BBC News/Weather earlier I saw the rain radar for your area,Dale. For 4.00pm ( approximately) tomorrow it looked grim. I think there'll be flooding. That's before the rains and winds that will come with the remnants of that hurricane. They're a little uncertain about where,if atall, up north that will hit.

On the 6.00pm BBC News/Weather earlier I saw the rain radar for your area,Dale. For 4.00pm ( approximately) tomorrow it looked grim. I think there'll be flooding. That's before the rains and winds that will come with the remnants of that hurricane. They're a little uncertain about where,if atall, up north that will hit.

I best get the batten on those hatches, just incase.

Dale..It's behind you...:D See the time-line along the bottom...

Oooft.

Currently very dull here, dry though, little wind at the moment and 16°C.

948b30892daea81a4587a03b2b43437e0c0c98b6.jpeg

The rain persisted all day yesterday, to varying intensities but it was torrential at times. I'm guessing the river will be high this morning.

It's quite blustery this morning, dry for now but it's to rain later. Currently 14°c.

20°-C here at the moment with sunny intervals and a light wind.

Supposed to be a wet one today but it's dry so far. It's quite gloomy though and it does look like rain can't be far away. We are under a rain warning from 9am but nothing so far. Currently a cool feeling 12°c.

Only 18°-C here at the moment with a bit of light rain and a stiff breeze.

It ended up very wet, rained for hours on end, steady, heavy stuff. The rivers are up and I'm dreading how high they might be as the Kingfishers have started 3rd broods..... we'll see.

It's currently dry though but quite windy, actually quite a fine day at the moment. The amber warning for rain is now over. 15°c.

Looks like the fence I not long built is in for its first proper test. :runaway:

Storm Lilian named - Met Office
In the photo it looked very sturdy. I assume the spaces were to allow the wind through ?

We're all due heavy rain tomorrow and Saturday. There's definitely going to be flooding. I see we have a named storm coming tomorrow..Lilian. that will impact the north of England and Aberdeen. That shouldn't be happening in mid-August.

In the photo it looked very sturdy. I assume the spaces were to allow the wind through ?

It's probably more sturdy than it originally was John and it lasted 20 years, first time round. Hopefully, I'll never have to rebuild it again. I think we missed the worst of the storm and the fence is still up. It was originally slatted but I did open the gaps up a little, to let more wind through.

It was vet wey through the night, although I didn't notice any significant wind, I think it passed to the south of us. It's very dull and still quite dark for this time of day but it hasn't rained for a while now, It feels cool, currently 12°c.

Well today started very dull with a bit of rain. It's brightened up nicely now and quite sunny with a temperature of 20°-C at the moment but fairly strong gusts of wind.

It's probably more sturdy than it originally was John and it lasted 20 years, first time round. Hopefully, I'll never have to rebuild it again. I think we missed the worst of the storm and the fence is still up. It was originally slatted but I did open the gaps up a little, to let more wind through.

It was vet wey through the night, although I didn't notice any significant wind, I think it passed to the south of us. It's very dull and still quite dark for this time of day but it hasn't rained for a while now, It feels cool, currently 12°c.
It looked very sturdy,Dale. I thought when you posted a photo of it that it would probably be there forever..:D

Most of that storm was in the north.north set of England and it also hit Wales . It was well forecast as a named storm..Lilian.. and yet....a music festival in Leeds went ahead. Tents were ripped out of the ground,never to be seen again. In Bolton a food festival went ahead with stalls blown down.

This was the forecast.
Met Office Chief Meteorologist Jason Kelly said: “Storm Lilian will bring some potentially damaging gusts during Friday morning, with gusts widely in the 50-60mph range, with the possibility of some gusts in excess of 75mph in a few places.

Quite a nice bright morning here but still only 17°-C at the moment with a moderate breeze.

"I was out along Oxford St & Regent St a little earlier and people had coats on which really shouldn't be happening in August"

32.6°C at the moment. Car's in full sun so a god might know how hot it is in there!

Looks like we will have quite pleasant, warm weather for a week or so down here. The south coast might get some thunderstorms from a LP system at high altitude over northern France and that may, or may not, impinge on our south coast. The story will be different up north,though.

Last edited:
HUGE thunderstorm earlier - I would have pulled over if there had been anywhere safe to do so (roads are like ice rinks here (Crete) when wet!) and the temperature plummeted to 27°C! Now (2 hours later) Sun's out and everything's bone dry again. Still a relatively cool evening at 32°C...

HUGE thunderstorm earlier - I would have pulled over if there had been anywhere safe to do so (roads are like ice rinks here (Crete) when wet!) and the temperature plummeted to 27°C! Now (2 hours later) Sun's out and everything's bone dry again. Still a relatively cool evening at 32°C...
My bold. What was the temperature then ?

28ºC and the sky is black. Rumbles of thunder. The radar shows very heavy rain on the doorstep.

Nice day here, but the forecast says I need to take a big bottle of water with me

Dale..I watched a long-range forecast and you're in for 26/27ºC Friday and over the weekend. There''ll be a High to your west and it's drawing in an easterly and when those winds hit the mountains on the east side the wind is deflected upwards and near the summits drop rain and then the winds go over the summits and 'cascade' down the leward side..the western side and compress warming them up. A Foehn effect,infact. It happened at the end of January when you got 20ºC.

Down here we are in for a rough time re rain. There's what's called a 'Cut off Low' over northern France at about 38,000ft and it means the rains will linger for a long time. South up to Birmingham will be affected. I think Cornwall may miss the worst. It comes Wednesday night into Thursday, Friday and all weekend. I thought we should maybe buy a dinghy..Lol. There will be a yellow weather warning.

Got monsoon-type rain and a thunderstorm here at the moment. Cars with headlights on. They didn't forecast either the heavy rain nor the TS since they reviewed their forecast of three days ago, yesterday. It's moved further north than they thought it would .Supposed to be confined to the counties further south and west.

Last edited:
My bold. What was the temperature then ?

Sorry for the slow response, John - the internet I had access to was cr@p! The more normal daytime temperatures were mid 30s C and where we had been it was 37°C according to the car's thermometer (after a couple of km to get it down after being parked in sunshine.)

Back