Nikon D750 & D780

Ok. Had a quick play after I picked kids up from school. Pretty impressed. Just waiting to get the files into LR to have a proper look. I might have to RTFM though to get my head around the highlight metering!

I'll post back later

It does what it says on the tin, meters for the highlights.

I guessed as much but wasn't sure about how it would preform in relation to shadow recovery, I'll try it out if I get a chance!

All you're doing is exposing for the brightest part in the image mate. Could do the same thing with exp comp. It's not much more special than that but makes it super easy. If the iso is low you can pull back shedloads. Try find my sample a few pages back of a 4 stop push in post.

Last edited:
I don't see how a computer can get slower if you don't install loads of crapware onto it.

It's the same hardware underneath on both, so if you reinstall the OS @snerkler then there is no reason it wouldn't be fast as it was. That's just confirmation bias at work
Well it's what happens to my systems, and my Mac has more "crap" on it than my PCs did. As for the software reinstall it's not just me doing it wrong as I've had it done by the IT guy at my wife's work too. He did explain why it bogs down but I can't remember tbh.

Whilst people may think differently I don't have a bias, or an allegiance or whatever. My views are always based on facts from my experience, and every one of my PC's has done the same ever since my first one running windows 95 (probably owned double figures). If people have had different experiences then great. Like the old Canon vs Nikon debate, or Android vs iPhone debate none are better than the other per se there's just preference. That being said, the longevity of my Mac has surpassed any PC that I've had :p

I was on holiday earlier this year and noticed that some Nikon straps actually have the model number as well... there was a guy with a Nikon D610 strap.

Seemed to me like a weird thing to do, advertising your expensive camera to all local pickpockets in the area!
That's the one that comes with the camera, my D750 one has Nikon D750 on both ends of the strap.

Well it's what happens to my systems, and my Mac has more "crap" on it than my PCs did. As for the software reinstall it's not just me doing it wrong as I've had it done by the IT guy at my wife's work too. He did explain why it bogs down but I can't remember tbh.

Whilst people may think differently I don't have a bias, or an allegiance or whatever. My views are always based on facts from my experience, and every one of my PC's has done the same ever since my first one running windows 95 (probably owned double figures). If people have had different experiences then great. Like the old Canon vs Nikon debate, or Android vs iPhone debate none are better than the other per se there's just preference. That being said, the longevity of my Mac has surpassed any PC that I've had :p

Well then he's not doing a clean install! The hardware cant magically become slower lol.

Curious, how much did your pc cost vs your macbook?

I find it pretty funny that certain people find using a pc so difficult, OSX Mac has the dock, Win has pin to taskbar 'dock'. Most of the software suites people use are the same which makes it an even stranger comment.
Windows 7 was great, Windows 8 was/is a complete pig and not intuitive for the most part.

Well then he's not doing a clean install! The hardware cant magically become slower lol.

Curious, how much did your pc cost vs your macbook?
Lol, think what you like. I know the IT guy knows what he's doing. As I said, it did speed it right up but within a few weeks it was bogging down again.

We've had this debate before about cost. If you start spec'ing a Windows laptop with the same build quality, screen, keyboard etc the prices are very similar. It's when you start personalising Macs that apple rip you off, like charging £640 to upgrade to a 1TB SSD from a 256GB one :mad:

Lol, think what you like. I know the IT guy knows what he's doing. As I said, it did speed it right up but within a few weeks it was bogging down again.

We've had this debate before about cost. If you start spec'ing a Windows laptop with the same build quality, screen, keyboard etc the prices are very similar. It's when you start personalising Macs that apple rip you off, like charging £640 to upgrade to a 1TB SSD from a 256GB one :mad:

You mean like the mac mini value comparison. Nevermind. A topic for a different section.

Tamron 70-300mm VC lens collar.

This maybe of use to other users in this thread as I think theres a few of us who have the lens. I have shoulder, arm & hand problems and currently struggle with some of the weight of these larger cameras and lenses, so I have been getting myself ready for further ops and have bought a new geared tripod and ballhead. I prefer to have a lens collar rather than fixing to camera body.

Anyway, I have been on the look out for a collar to put on the Tamron lens and after some measuring and looking around I found that the old Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens is the same size as the Tamron (81mm). I noticed there were some on Amazon and for £7.99 I thought I would buy one and have a go. It arrived today and it's a perfect fit. The collar is hinged and has a felt linning so no risk to scratching the lens. The collar needs to be fitted to the area where the distance view finder is.

Anyway some pics below and there's more on flickr if you want to look through. The pics include a 100mm Arca Swiss plate which is fitted to collar.

Amazon link > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eggsnow-Met...F8&qid=1443205380&sr=8-3&keywords=lens+collar

IMG_0794 by Simon Rees, on Flickr

20150925-DSC_2757 by Simon Rees, on Flickr

20150925-DSC_2745 by Simon Rees, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ok, it feels similar, but different to the D800. Must admit I like it but wonder whether I'd prefer a d810 or whether a d800/d750 combo is better than a d810/d800 combo. The D750 is ergonomically terrific (for fans of Mega lo mania) though.

First off the bat....

D750 test shot by Shaheed Rahman, on Flickr

Logically you would think the D750 & D8xx would give you some flexability. Is there going to be much difference between the two D8xx series for your type of work??

Logically you would think the D750 & D8xx would give you some flexability. Is there going to be much difference between the two D8xx series for your type of work??

This is exactly my thought process. And for the price of a d810 I could near enough get a d750 and sigma 59 f1.4 art. I know which of those two combos would give better results!

This is exactly my thought process. And for the price of a d810 I could near enough get a d750 and sigma 59 f1.4 art. I know which of those two combos would give better results!

New glass & camera are nice to have. In your situation, I would go the glass and body route and perhaps look at the D810/20 or whatever they will call it this time next year or so. Even if you didn't like the D750 you could sell and buy the D810 and you still have the glass ;) Easier to explain to the misses, it works for me.

Don't you find the weight difference refreshing?

Is highlight metering useful for landscapes or is bracketing and merging in LR the better way to go?

It can be handy but bracketing is pretty good. If you check my last lot of pics the one entitled 'the back path' or whatever it is was taken with highlight metering and then shadows pulled in post. ISO 1000 too. The rest were bracketed.

No pix on this page yet, so something a little different. Taken with my trusty old siggy 150 macro ;)

Boom by Paulie-W, on Flickr

That is fab. The detail is crazy. Almost like little skulls on the end of the spikes.

Ok, it feels similar, but different to the D800. Must admit I like it but wonder whether I'd prefer a d810 or whether a d800/d750 combo is better than a d810/d800 combo. The D750 is ergonomically terrific (for fans of Mega lo mania) though.

First off the bat....

D750 test shot by Shaheed Rahman, on Flickr

That's also fab! You really do have a nice style Shaheed. We'd welcome you with open arms in here mate. If i was able to afford the D810 then i think i would opt for one of those. Sell the D800 and then put that towards a D750. You would only have to put a few hundred quid to it to get one.

Tamron 70-300mm VC lens collar.

This maybe of use to other users in this thread as I think theres a few of us who have the lens. I have shoulder, arm & hand problems and currently struggle with some of the weight of these larger cameras and lenses, so I have been getting myself ready for further ops and have bought a new geared tripod and ballhead. I prefer to have a lens collar rather than fixing to camera body.

Anyway, I have been on the look out for a collar to put on the Tamron lens and after some measuring and looking around I found that the old Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens is the same size as the Tamron (81mm). I noticed there were some on Amazon and for £7.99 I thought I would buy one and have a go. It arrived today and it's a perfect fit. The collar is hinged and has a felt linning so no risk to scratching the lens. The collar needs to be fitted to the area where the distance view finder is.

Anyway some pics below and there's more on flickr if you want to look through. The pics include a 100mm Arca Swiss plate which is fitted to collar.

Amazon link > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eggsnow-Met...F8&qid=1443205380&sr=8-3&keywords=lens+collar

IMG_0794 by Simon Rees, on Flickr

20150925-DSC_2757 by Simon Rees, on Flickr

20150925-DSC_2745 by Simon Rees, on Flickr

That's some really good investigative work Simon. :clap:

That's also fab! You really do have a nice style Shaheed. We'd welcome you with open arms in here mate. If i was able to afford the D810 then i think i would opt for one of those. Sell the D800 and then put that towards a D750. You would only have to put a few hundred quid to it to get one.

Cheers mate

It would be an addition rather than an upgrade. I've worked my extra shifts (in my week off) so I have funds approved [emoji6]

I couldn't get rid of the d800 as it's still very handy for my portraiture work!

Be a nice addition to the family!

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1443209354.816908.jpg

But you would have the D810 if you read what what i said... ;)

Ah yes. I have re read what you wrote!!

Not sure I can justify selling the d800 to get a d810. It would certainly be the law of diminishing returns. The d800 is more than capable for studio type shots. The d750 just gives me some more lightweight versatility!

That's not to say I won't upgrade it in the future - I'm just not sure I can justify it at the present moment!

What you got in it?

It says its not wide enough for the D750 but it is with ease, even with the BR attached to the tripod socket.

It has D750 with 35mm (can be a prime or zoom) that I face horizontal - you can also have it vertical and then next to it 50mm and other side the BR strap and waterproof cover. Can easily put strap in front pouch and put another small lens like the 85mm in too.

Highlight metering mode...

Silverhill Miner
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Some women just barged right in front of us and started getting their dogs to jump on the rock around the statue... Quite rude i thought but it made for quite a nice shot in the end (imo!)

Silverhill Miner

And some normal stuff...

Silverhill Miner

Silverhill Miner

And a simple click on the 'auto' button in LR rendered this...

Silverhill Miner

Sorry about crappy pics!!

IMG_20150925_212257_zps1erpsdjx.jpg

IMG_20150925_212320_zpspwle62xc.jpg

Sorry about crappy pics!!

IMG_20150925_212257_zps1erpsdjx.jpg

IMG_20150925_212320_zpspwle62xc.jpg

Thanks. Looks like I could possibly get my d750 with sigma 35 art attached in plus my 50 art and a flashgun in there. Could be tight. Just don't want it to bulge the top. Do you think you have 20mm on top of the camera spare before the bags lid starts bulging when closed? Back of camera facing up.

It don't think it will be a problem fitting as with the 28-75 attached it still fits (2mm shorter than Sigma) with space spare.There is also loads of spare internal dividers to separate the bag in many ways! Flash gun would sit at side and still leave you bit of room other side.

It don't think it will be a problem fitting as with the 28-75 attached it still fits (2mm shorter than Sigma) with space spare.There is also loads of spare internal dividers to separate the bag in many ways! Flash gun would sit at side and still leave you bit of room other side.

Would it fit an sb900 in there with a 35f1.4 d750 and an 85 f1.8

Think i may have found the bag I've been looking for. Price is good to. (y)

Back