Nikon D750 & D780

This is purely a lens issue, nothing to do with the camera!

That's what I thought really, I was just seeing if I could get the 35mm to work just for some fun, but evidently the 70-300 is a better lens for this application!

Anyone's views on the new Tamron 35/45mm f1.8 vc lenses? Would this be a worthy contender against the Sigma Art?

There is a thread on here about it. Not as good as Sigma it seems and stupid launch price. I'm sticking with my Nikon 35mm for now!

Who's out for the super moon tonight? Thinking of making an effort tonight for a change.

If it`s clear enough, I might have a look, but my longest lens is only 300mm

Have been playing with the tammy 150-600 this week. Wanted to try and get the pregnant missus silhouetted behind it maybe but need 1500mm for what I had in mind. She won't get up for silly o'clock so might have a wander as it rises early on. Be good to finally do something in angst.

Have been playing with the tammy 150-600 this week. Wanted to try and get the pregnant missus silhouetted behind it maybe but need 1500mm for what I had in mind. She won't get up for silly o'clock so might have a wander as it rises early on. Be good to finally do something in angst.

You could go wide and close ;)

How are you finding the tammy? I have a hankering for a long lens.

Better than I thought to be fair. Wasn't expecting too much for the money but it's very good indeed. Really shows how technology has improved zooms in recent times.

Better than I thought to be fair. Wasn't expecting too much for the money but it's very good indeed. Really shows how technology has improved zooms in recent times.

Cheers Kris
I`m, for the time being waiting on (real people) reviews on the 200-500 Nikon. I can sell my 70-300 and but a bag for it ;) Nothing will happen until xmas anyway though. It`s one of those want v need things.

Cheers Kris
I`m, for the time being waiting on (real people) reviews on the 200-500 Nikon. I can sell my 70-300 and but a bag for it ;) Nothing will happen until xmas anyway though. It`s one of those want v need things.

Same here, just fancied something totally different. Seemed a good buy at £670 for a flirtation into the super zoom ranges. Have wanted to do mach loop and an airshow next year too.

Same here, just fancied something totally different. Seemed a good buy at £670 for a flirtation into the super zoom ranges. Have wanted to do mach loop and an airshow next year too.

Mach loop is on my bucket list, too. At that price it does seem like a bit of a bargain.

Motion blur was due to experimenting with shutter speeds, but even using faster shutter speeds they just didn't seem to look as good as I am used too! I have been shooting equestrian for a few years now but always used zoom. This was with the D600 & 70-300 VR. Just seems crisper and sharper.

Merls D600 70-300 VR by JayX2A, on Flickr
That shot taken with the 70-300mm does look a lot nicer overall as well as sharper. I'd say there's a few reason for this, firstly shutter speed/motion blur as already stated which could well be the biggest reason. Secondly the lighting looks much harsher on the pics taken with the 35mm which is never going to give the nicest looking pics. Also, the white balance looks off in the 35mm pics, the colours don't look good to me (I hope it's the WB and not just the colours of the lens). Finally, have you checked for front/back focussing?

Test for front/back focussing then take some pics in softer light at faster shutter speeds and see what they're like.

I have the Tammy 150-600 for my D750 and have to say it's exceeded expectations. It needed micro adjusting but is now very sharp and renders very well. I don't have much softening at 600mm either.

Cheers mate. :) Sometimes it's the simple shots that have the most effect.

I don't think i can warrant the Sigma 35 after some thought. I may opt for a cheap 50mm G just so i have a smaller lightweight option.

Cheers mate. :) Sometimes it's the simple shots that have the most effect.

I totally agree. A bit of K.I.S.S always (well mostly) works.

I don't think i can warrant the Sigma 35 after some thought. I may opt for a cheap 50mm G just so i have a smaller lightweight option.

Fair shout, I sold my 50 1.4 not too long ago, so there should be plenty about. I just never got on with the focal length, and prefer the 35/85 combo.

Well I'll be adding the 85 again next month anyway so maybe that will suppress my GAS.

Although i fancy the Samyang 14mm aswell... :whistle:

I can verify that all 3 of your suggestions are ace. Tempted by the sigma 50 art f1.4 with a d750.

Had them both in the basket, hovered over the purchase button and the price went up in the meantime[emoji17]

That shot taken with the 70-300mm does look a lot nicer overall as well as sharper. I'd say there's a few reason for this, firstly shutter speed/motion blur as already stated which could well be the biggest reason. Secondly the lighting looks much harsher on the pics taken with the 35mm which is never going to give the nicest looking pics. Also, the white balance looks off in the 35mm pics, the colours don't look good to me (I hope it's the WB and not just the colours of the lens). Finally, have you checked for front/back focussing?

Test for front/back focussing then take some pics in softer light at faster shutter speeds and see what they're like.

Yeah sometimes the sun can play havoc! Especially as Merlin (the horse) is so black and everything else is so bright!

I don't think there is any front/back focussing issues as the lens had taken some really decent crisp stills.

Anyway, just more excuses to take camera out and try better!

Yeah sometimes the sun can play havoc! Especially as Merlin (the horse) is so black and everything else is so bright!

I don't think there is any front/back focussing issues as the lens had taken some really decent crisp stills.

Anyway, just more excuses to take camera out and try better!

You have been at 1/125 & 1/200 for the prime shots and 1/500 with the zoom. The zoom also has VR ? which would help with a slower shutter speed. Try at something like 1/800 and drop your SS accordingly to see if that helps. Not 100% sure but I believe you will have more compression with the short prime over the zoom??? Which may not help.

Only a snap shot of a BT junior through back window, but with OS on my 105mm prime. I try to keep at 1/800 for animals as I'm not very steady and I was at 1/1000 @f4 for this!

20150813-DSC_1205 by Simon Rees, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well I'll be adding the 85 again next month anyway so maybe that will suppress my GAS.

Although i fancy the Samyang 14mm aswell... :whistle:

I bought the Samyang 14mm to go on my D750 as we was going up to the Highlands, wanted it in case we say the Aurora, having never seen the Aurora before what I saw and photographed at Dunnet Head on the 9th September really blew my mind.

This was my first opportunity to use the lens, the wind at the time was so strong I had to physically hold the tripod down, but very pleased how the shots turned out seeing it was my first attempt, I used lightroom to straighten them as much as I could.

Aurora at Dunnet Head by Mike, on Flickr

Aurora by Mike, on Flickr

Aurora at Dunnet Head by Mike, on Flickr

Last edited:
Makes me want to drive to Scotland. :D

Is it a good lens then in your opinion?

I love the lens David, very easy to use and focus, but the mustache distortion on it is something else, on landscapes its very good it does not show as much, but any shots with straight lines, building etc it really is noticeable, badly noticeable, I found I could straighten the shots a lot using Lightroom 6, but doing it was painfully slow on my old com, waiting now for a new com to be delivered before editing any more shots from that evening.

I love the lens David, very easy to use and focus, but the mustache distortion on it is something else, on landscapes its very good it does not show as much, but any shots with straight lines, building etc it really is noticeable, badly noticeable, I found I could straighten the shots a lot using Lightroom 6, but doing it was painfully slow on my old com, waiting now for a new com to be delivered before editing any more shots from that evening.

Hmmm... For a little over £200 though it's a still a good option. Can't you just make a preset for it in Lr?

Not sure if you have seen this thread, maybe of use...? https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/samyang-14mm-lens-profile.603084/

Hmmm... For a little over £200 though it's a still a good option. Can't you just make a preset for it in Lr?

I think most vendors was selling it around £270-280 if I remember correctly, I got mine off Amazon purely for their ease of return policy.
I will make a preset in Lightroom for it, I was using a trial version of Lightroom 6 on my com but as I already said its far to slow, so will wait till
the new com arrives an then give it a try.

Back