Nikon D750 & D780

Why has it gone back?
Can't get to the bottom of why it won't work with the Tamron and don't want to be left with a lemon. Nikon just say they don't test 3rd party lenses so can't comment, Tamron don't know why it's not working and haven't heard of any issues, and I can't get my hands on another D500 to try. Harrisons and LCE Derby don't have one.

Has anyone experimented with 14 bit lossless vs 12 bit lossless files and can comment if they've noticed any difference in IQ, PP flexibility etc? I've been running into buffer issues lately and thinking about shooting 12 bit to help with this.

Your probably all bored of this type of shot from me, but I'll post anyway. Reworked the processing on this shot from a couple of weeks ago:

Maria & Glen by Tim G, on Flickr
Always worth seeing again. Can't remember exactly what the first version was like though to know what the changes are.

Has anyone experimented with 14 bit lossless vs 12 bit lossless files and can comment if they've noticed any difference in IQ, PP flexibility etc? I've been running into buffer issues lately and thinking about shooting 12 bit to help with this.

Read up quite a bit about it before I did the wedding. Shot the wedding in 12 bit and really can't discern any difference whatsoever. In the tests I saw online, you really need to be shooting massively under exposed to experience a problem, under normal conditions it's fine. I've actually not set it back..

I have a couple of days away and it's all going off.
New cameras going back
Second bodies being brought.
More pictures being posted
More pee taking.

@snerkler not even sure I posted it here, but a tighter crop and black and white conversion.
Have you posted a similar one then?
Read up quite a bit about it before I did the wedding. Shot the wedding in 12 bit and really can't discern any difference whatsoever. In the tests I saw online, you really need to be shooting massively under exposed to experience a problem, under normal conditions it's fine. I've actually not set it back..
Thanks, useful info.

The Df can shoot full uncompressed RAW files... at 75mb I soon went back to 14 bit. :LOL:

I found the difference between 12 and 14 to show up when recovering highlights, it just didn't give as much latitude in PP.
Thanks, I guess it will depend on the scene then. Think I might give it a whirl with sports and then stick to 14 with landscapes.

Have you posted a similar one then?

Thanks, useful info.

Thanks, I guess it will depend on the scene then. Think I might give it a whirl with sports and then stick to 14 with landscapes.

Yup, there's one very similar with a different couple from a different wedding. The colour version of the one above is this:

Maria & Glen by Tim G, on Flickr

Enjoy, I keep being tempted by it too but I don't know why (GAS probably). D500's gone back so the thought of swapping the D750 for the D810 did cross my mind, but I'm also wondering whether I should wait to see what the D820 offers :D

Cheers mate :)
Pain about the 500 ... From day one with me it was a toss up between the 750 & 810, but I was wary of the file size. But now upgrades ram and hdd (and reading up a lot), I reckon I can handle it now :)

As for the 820 (or whatever designation it`s given), I`d shy away considering the recent release issues Nikon have been having. Plus the 810`s are going for a half sensible price ;)

Last edited:
How long do mpb take to pay out once they've received the goods?

Not having much luck trying to sell my 70-200 on here so wondering if I'd be better selling it to them, before I get sellers remorse and buy another body. :mad:

Not having much luck trying to sell my 70-200 on here so wondering if I'd be better selling it to them, before I get sellers remorse and buy another body. :mad:

They are normally quick however there are a number of recent thread where people have had to chase, may be they are busy.

Usually been same day or next day of them getting lens for me.

My bits got picked up on Monday, and got new stuff on Wednesday. Pretty much as quick as it can be :D

Cheers mate :)
Pain about the 500 ... From day one with me it was a toss up between the 750 & 810, but I was wary of the file size. But now upgrades ram and hdd (and reading up a lot), I reckon I can handle it now :)

As for the 820 (or whatever designation it`s given), I`d shy away considering the recent release issues Nikon have been having. Plus the 810`s are going for a half sensible price ;)
File size is an issue for sure, waiting for 1:1 previews and if you're quickly flicking from one pic to another LR can be painfully slow with the D750 let alone the D810 ones (2.2Ghz i7 CPU, 16GB RAM). A fot eh D820 I'd have to wait fro prices to come down, I can't see it being below £3k, more likely £3.5k. But if it has the AF system from the D5 with a slightly bigger buffer than before, whilst maintaining 36mp or even 42mp it'll be hard to beat imo.

Were quick for me. So are Harrisons and camera jungle.

Last edited:
File size is an issue for sure, waiting for 1:1 previews and if you're quickly flicking from one pic to another LR can be painfully slow with the D750 let alone the D810 ones (2.2Ghz i7 CPU, 16GB RAM). A fot eh D820 I'd have to wait fro prices to come down, I can't see it being below £3k, more likely £3.5k. But if it has the AF system from the D5 with a slightly bigger buffer than before, whilst maintaining 36mp or even 42mp it'll be hard to beat imo.

My paupers Mac never struggled with D750 files and it flies with Df files. Are you using a SSD?

I saw a reply to a post on FStoppers yesterday saying his best purchase that improved his photography was a D800 as he thought about each shot more due to file size and having to edit them afterwards.

My paupers Mac never struggled with D750 files and it flies with Df files. Are you using a SSD?

I saw a reply to a post on FStoppers yesterday saying his best purchase that improved his photography was a D800 as he thought about each shot more due to file size and having to edit them afterwards.
Yep SSD. I guess it depends on patience levels ;)

That's a good point. I often think I need to slow down a lot, and keep toying with loading film into my OM1 :LOL: For sports the extra buffer of the D810 would be useful, but I also find the flippy screen useful for landscapes. Too many choices and too much GAS :p

I haven't had any problems with the 750 files, and with a bit more juice it should be ok with the extra size. I dont shoot that fast so frame rate doesn`t bother me at all :) I did think about the flippy screen, but since @minnnt bust his, I`ve been super wary of it.
As for LR, It`s one of those things that I`ve never got on with. Been using PS for so long (hate change cos I`m getting old ;))

(y)

@snerkler with your impatience have you thought about initial culling in a different program? I'm looking into Photo Mechanic as it loads RAWs super fast, you can then check over and import in LR. I know it adds an additional step but may save you importing loads of files your nothappy with which could be beneficial with the amount of scrutiny you put on your images :)

How long are you talking for each preview?

The poster did refer to him taking an almost film like approach to it.

His Mac must be REALLY s***. :D
I'm not sure how long each preview takes tbh as I have import set to build 1:1 previews so it does the whole lot.

I haven't had any problems with the 750 files, and with a bit more juice it should be ok with the extra size. I dont shoot that fast so frame rate doesn`t bother me at all :) I did think about the flippy screen, but since @minnnt bust his, I`ve been super wary of it.
As for LR, It`s one of those things that I`ve never got on with. Been using PS for so long (hate change cos I`m getting old ;))
PS can still lag for me. For example if I convert to a smart object it can take several seconds. This is no different whether I'm using my MBP or my iMac. As for the flippy screen, I guess I won't know how much I'll miss it until I don't have it.

Yeah I don't have that issue anymore :D

My old PC would take an age when editing photos, but my little Mac Mini is a dream to work with.
Mine goes through spells, sometimes it's not an issue, sometimes it can be a bit slow. I think it's when I've put it on high demand and the CPU temp is sky high, even going back and forth on the adjustment preview (such as checking whether you preferred the image before or after a series of adjustments) can be a bit slow when the CPU's are hot. But again, this is not all the time. I think it's agood excuse for a new MPB, I'm sure work must owe me one by now :LOL:

@snerkler with your impatience have you thought about initial culling in a different program? I'm looking into Photo Mechanic as it loads RAWs super fast, you can then check over and import in LR. I know it adds an additional step but may save you importing loads of files your nothappy with which could be beneficial with the amount of scrutiny you put on your images :)
Thanks, I'll look into that (y)

Well I just processed my first pic, and yes it takes a bit longer to upload etc, but once its there it all runs ok (y) I actually have found ACC is slower than my old stand alone PS6 anyway.

He sure is, just got get the camera out now and he is ready for a pose cos he knows he'll get a treat. Keep forgetting to change colour settings before posting on here, looks sh1t all dull and washed out. Don't know why this happens, looks fine when viewed on Flickr.
Heres a copy with profile changed to sRGB, does this look any different to you? it does to me on my iPad.
ArchieForest0417_edited-3.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back