Nikon D800......

That's decidedly odd. :thinking:

Indeed, and seemingly from Amazon themselves rather than an unheard of third party. Seems a damn good price given that the D700 was £1800 or so when the D800 was announced.

It could be a mistake. Amazon USA aren't offering any sort of pre-order discount.

Yeah it does seem like a very big discount for a much anticipated camera that's not even out yet, that was already priced very competitively compared to it's main rival.

I've never heard of anyone offering a 13% discount on an unreleased camera before. Let's see if it goes back to £2,399 after a few days.

I cant wait for 6th of April and tax return..sooner I do it, sooner I get money from H&R and sooner I sell d700 and get d800 :)

photo-3.jpg

I've never heard of anyone offering a 13% discount on an unreleased camera before. Let's see if it goes back to £2,399 after a few days.

I managed to get about 12% off the D4. (y)

Kev.

Nikon Rumors report possible D800 delays as there are more pre orders than stock. Surprise surprise.

Last edited:
I'd go for the Amazon deal if I didn't need an invoice date before the end of the tax year. I have a pre-order with Jessops that I didn't make until March 1st so I'm not sure if I'm going to manage it anyway. Tempted to go with Amazon anyway in case the Jessops one doesn't make it in time and cancel the Jessops one if so.

Is it true that a tripod should be used for shutter speeds less than 1/500?

Be intersting to see results.

Be intersting to see results.

No, what will happen is that if you look at the image at 100% you will see the faults more obviously than you would with say a D700 image, so holding technique will have to be better and more care taken over your shots.

Here are my PC Secs, would it be upto the job of handling the files this camera will be producing? I would mainly use Lightroom 4 I think.

i5 2500k @ 4.2gb
16gb DDR3 RAM
ATI 5870 1gb Graphics Card

Thanks,

John

Here are my PC Secs, would it be upto the job of handling the files this camera will be producing? I would mainly use Lightroom 4 I think.

i5 2500k @ 4.2gb
16gb DDR3 RAM

Thanks,

John

Yeh, easily.

It'll be the same as other cameras.

i5 2500k @ 4.2gb
16gb DDR3 RAM
It's a beauty, should be good.

I forgot to add that at the monent I am running a triple screen display (eyefinity) with a resolution of 5760x1080 but I am thinking of going for a dell ultra sharp 27" @ 2560x1440.

That would still be quite a high resolution to run lightroom at, do you think?

I forgot to add that at the monent I am running a triple screen display (eyefinity) with a resolution of 5760x1080 but I am thinking of going for a dell ultra sharp 27" @ 2560x1440.

That would still be quite a high resolution to run lightroom at, do you think?
Lightroom isn't the problem. You would normally use 2 DVI ports to give you 2560x1440, so you'll need to check what you can do with that + 2 other screens (I don't know how many mini display ports the 5870 has.

But how would you have Lr on 3 screens? It likes 2, 3 would require stretching 1. Do you need that much?

And if going that far, you may like a nicer screen than the Dell, like an NEC spectraview for example.

Lightroom isn't the problem. You would normally use 2 DVI ports to give you 2560x1440, so you'll need to check what you can do with that + 2 other screens (I don't know how many mini display ports the 5870 has.

But how would you have Lr on 3 screens? It likes 2, 3 would require stretching 1. Do you need that much?

And if going that far, you may like a nicer screen than the Dell, like an NEC spectraview for example.

Hi thanks for that and I probably need to be clearer. At the moment my PC is setup for gaming, with the three screens attached to the GPU via DVi and 1 DVI to mini display port adaptor. Works great for the Sim racing games I play/played.

The screens are not very good so, as I am getting more into photography and less into gaming I thought I would change from 3 screens to 1 decent screen which I can use for Photo work.

At the moment if I open lightroom I just use 1 of the screen, sometimes 2 even though the desktop is spread across three screens ala "eyefinity" which I only really utilise for gaming....

As long as I will not struggle too much with a single (2560x1440) screen and my PC specs thats great...

Last edited:
The screens are not very good so, as I am getting more into photography and less into gaming I thought I would change from 3 screens to 1 decent screen which I can use for Photo work.
Oh I see. I suggest keeping one of your screens as a second monitor though, 2 monitors are nice (they don't need to match).
As long as I will not struggle too much with a single (2560x1440) screen and my PC specs thats great...
No it won't be an issue, it's completely different to gaming where your graphics card has to work out what colour to make every pixel 30+ times a second.

Ok, thats really helpful, thanks...

Sorry for going off topic.....back to the D800!!! :)

2560*1440 does not require 2 dvi ports. only 2560*1600 does..

anyhow...
£2099 is a nice price ) Time to flog d700 ;D

bastic said:
2560*1440 does not require 2 dvi ports. only 2560*1600 does..

anyhow...
£2099 is a nice price ) Time to flog d700 ;D

You are confusing dual-link dvi (for 2560x1600 etc) and two x dvi ports (for 2x whatever x whatever).

Also, Eyefinity presents a single "virtual" monitor to the computer, then splits this across the lower physical resolution of the multiple actual monitors.

Personally I use light room with a 30" 2560x1600 and a 21" 1200x1600 next to it.. smug grin smilie :LOL:

Now....back to mispriced D800's!

Nikon Rumours are saying that if you haven't pre-ordered one by now then it'll be August before you'll get your hands on one....

Back