Nikon D800......

certainly from the stack of pre orders my local shop has i would say that selling them isnt much of a problem for Nikon right now.

To secure your preorder? They only take the money when the product ships anyway.

People might plan to wait 6-12 months before buying for such discount.

Seriously though, if the order books are filling up at full rrp why would any retailer knock £300 off the price?

Good points. Laws of supply and demand.

I could understand £300 after 6-12 months, but not even before it's actually launched. Multiple retailers offering £300 discount. Fantastic camera it seems, but the price is just a bit too much for particular people.

Flash In The Pan said:
Nikon Rumours are saying that if you haven't pre-ordered one by now then it'll be August before you'll get your hands on one....

where are u getting this from.....
no where have i seen august sugested.
may is the latest and that was quote from mathers.
im going to wait 6 mobths anyway until its been tested properly, not sure i need or want 36mp anyway.

i take it you wouldnt have a leg to stand on and tough cheddar if you preordered, paid the 2400 and then a day later the store dropped the price. Or even once thier pre orders were used up.

where are u getting this from.....
no where have i seen august sugested.

photo-4.jpg

i take it you wouldnt have a leg to stand on and tough cheddar if you preordered, paid the 2400 and then a day later the store dropped the price. Or even once thier pre orders were used up.
You can just return it, due to distance selling rules.

this gossip about getting hands on camera in august if you haven't pre ordered, I find utter rubbish ...

well play.com will refund you the difference if the price drops between now and delivery.

Talking to a few dealers,their saying that Nikon did expect such a big response for the camera.
That at the moment,they don't even know if they are getting enought in to fulfill their pre orders. :)

Talking to a few dealers,their saying that Nikon did expect such a big response for the camera.
That at the moment,they don't even know if they are getting enought in to fulfill their pre orders. :)

Spoke to a couple of dealers today and initial numbers are way below 10 units unless I guess they are part of a group, so glad I pre ordered before the launch date.

My pre-order is due to be delivered at the end of next week. Amazon are honouring the lower price for those who pre-ordered at higher price.

I pre-ordered when the price dropped, it helped make up my mind !

My pre-order is due to be delivered at the end of next week. Amazon are honouring the lower price for those who pre-ordered at higher price.

Did you get an email or is there a link where they say they're honouring the lower price, or even that you will be getting yours next week? I know they say 'expected date of dispatch', but that can easily be changed to cancelled.

Did you get an email or is there a link where they say they're honouring the lower price, or even that you will be getting yours next week? I know they say 'expected date of dispatch', but that can easily be changed to cancelled.

Well as I mentioned, I ordered when the price dropped so the price being honoured was just me going on what I'd heard from others.

I haven't had an email to confirm delivery date but then again I don't think I have for any item I've ordered from Amazon. So far they haven't let me down so I've no reason to believe they will now.

Of course that's me jinxed it now !

well i just popped in to my local and they didnt know when they would get any, possibly next week, so who knows.

But to order one this late and to expect it to arrive on release day is a little naieve. Even Amazon wouldnt have enough units to fill all their pre orders.

I order loads from Amazon, they're very reliable. But I have had orders cancelled before, and given the nature of this product (ie, not yet released and strangely fluctuating price) I'm not completely confident.

Last edited:
well i just popped in to my local and they didnt know when they would get any, possibly next week, so who knows.

But to order one this late and to expect it to arrive on release day is a little naieve. Even Amazon wouldnt have enough units to fill all their pre orders.

Who said I expected it to arrive on release day ? I said it's due to be delivered at the end of next week.

I'm not naive in the slightest, and if it's not delivered by the end of next week then it's not the end of the world either.

well i hope it does turn up swiftly :)

Just got mine, battery is on charge.

I have mine now, its from an independant UK Nikon dealer. I have just taken a couple of pictures with it so I will try to post one up later.
It is worth the wait, I'm sure they will start to filter into the UK very soon now.

welshy1812 said:

Any solid source on this? I spoke to an Amazon rep that stated that you would be paying whatever the price was when you pre-ordered.

The Amazon t&c state that the price guarantee only applies to items which state this on the product page, which the D800 does not.

Complicates things somewhat... £300 is a lot of money, but then again waiting an unknown number of months is a long time...

Any solid source on this? I spoke to an Amazon rep that stated that you would be paying whatever the price was when you pre-ordered.

The Amazon t&c state that the price guarantee only applies to items which state this on the product page, which the D800 does not.

Complicates things somewhat... £300 is a lot of money, but then again waiting an unknown number of months is a long time...

Maybe I should have said the are 'allegedly' honouring the price, I read a thread on DPReview forums in which someone said they would. Guess I shouldn't have said anything without a reliable source as people will undoubtedly get their hopes up.

Picked up my D800 today and with this in mind I had taken a lens with me on the assumption that I may give it a quick trial on the way home.

The picture below was taken having only set the camera to single point focus and taken in RAW, the picture has had nothing done other than been converted to jpeg and web sized.

The detail on the original and other files taken is incredible.

For sure I could do additional work on this picture but I just wanted to show an image straight from the camera.

Looking forward to the weekend to see what it can do once I have read the manual.

DSC_0015-800.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up my D800 today and with this in mind I had taken a lens with my on the assumption that I may give it a quick trial on the way home.

The picture below was taken having only set the camera to single point focus and taken in RAW, the picture has had nothing done other than been converted to jpeg and web sized.

The detail on the original and other files taken is incredible.

For sure I could do additional work on this picture but I just wanted to show an image straight from the camera.

Looking forward to the weekend to see what it can do once I have read the manual.

DSC_0015-800.jpg
can you link a full size file ?

I have mine now, its from an independant UK Nikon dealer. I have just taken a couple of pictures with it so I will try to post one up later.
It is worth the wait, I'm sure they will start to filter into the UK very soon now.

Glad you got yours,would be great to hear how you get on with it :)

anyone else considers d800E ??

I think about selling all my lenses(2 lol) and get 70-200 at same time with camera...

anyone else considers d800E ??

I think about selling all my lenses(2 lol) and get 70-200 at same time with camera...

I'm certainly considering it(most of my lens investment is in EF-S anyway) although I think I'm going to take a wait and see approach and potentially buy in the summer/autumn when we'll likely have a good ideal whether a Canon response is coming or not.

The big factor for me though would be which lenses would provide the level of sharpness to properly exploit it. The 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 combination is probabley out of my price range and likely too bulky anyway so how the likes of the 16-35 and 24-120 f/4 VR's would be a big factor for me.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet but any word on how the 24mm PCE lens works given that the D800 has a built in flash?

I'm going to have to start ignoring this thread. I'm starting to feel an urge

I'm going to have to start ignoring this thread. I'm starting to feel an urge

you know you want it :)

I do hope the price of D800 stays at £2099 :) ( or goes down) until middle of April :)

Back