Nikon D800......

Let's face facts here, this 'error' is also being blamed for the £500 increase in the D4's price. Nikon announced that price in January, are we really meant to believe that Nikon went for nearly 3 months without noticing that they had given out the wrong price for that?
Exactly. Not only are they taking us for a ride and ripping us off, they're insulting our intelligence too.

As others have said, if there really was a pricing mistake (there wasn't) that went unnoticed for months, heads would roll. So come on Nikon, who's been fired for this? Was it the mild mannered janitor?

Yup, that's a fantastic way to build a brand engender customer loyalty. Nothing marks you out as a company to do business with
more than a willingness to shaft your customers.

Let's face facts here, this 'error' is also being blamed for the £500 increase in the D4's price. Nikon announced that price in January, are we really meant to believe that Nikon went for nearly 3 months without noticing that they had given out the wrong price for that?

The sad thing is that, rather than voting with their wallets and not buying the affected cameras, most will simply grumble a bit and then pay up, setting a dangerous precedent for the pricing of future cameras, and not just from Nikon....

That what i am going to do i am voting with my wallet.

Nikon at the moment :thumbsdown:

I'm currently Canon but despite Nikon's recent underhand behaviour I'm still going to buy a D3 because Canon would probably do the same thing so it's all about the camera for me at the moment :)

I didn't pre-order (very nearly clicked the Amazon £2099 deal but got distracted and then it was gone) and now I think I'll just wait until the price comes down naturally.

Well my D800 is in transit as I type :) as for all the moaning, well it makes for entertaining reading I suppose, Lets put it this way your a pro photographer, a product your pushing takes off and your swamped with shoots..... do you keep to the old prices or jump up a level?

answers on a post card.......

Well my D800 is in transit as I type :) as for all the moaning, well it makes for entertaining reading I suppose, Lets put it this way your a pro photographer, a product your pushing takes off and your swamped with shoots..... do you keep to the old prices or jump up a level?

Maybe I've missed some posts but I don't think many people are moaning about the price hike, but the manner with which the news was delivered, i.e. with what appears to be a less than subtle lie. It shows quite a lot of disrespect on Nikon's part. That's my viewpoint at least. I still want a D800 though!

Agree with what Graham says above. My main RAGE is that it happened with no warning while I was on a short break in Istanbul with me fully intending to order a D4 when I was back (Monday just gone). And the LIES are just disrespectful and totally dishonest. :puke::thumbsdown::bonk::( :shake:

If they had just priced it at what they are now but from the start then I might have not sold off all my Canon gear and gone with the 1Dx as the D4 is now a direct competitor on price whereas it was quite a bit cheaper only a week ago. :shake:

so would you not have moaned about having to pay an extra £200 had you not pre ordered or shops decided not to honour the original price... i think you would

Wilky said:

What Nikon may find, and this is true of any market, is that just because there is massive demand for a product/service at a certain pricepoint it doesn't necessarily follow that the same demand will be there at a higher price.

Whilst this may not apply to the D4, which will be bought either by professionals or amateurs with a very high level of disposable income, Nikon are playing a dangerous game with the D800 which is aimed more at the mid-range amateur market, but now carries a price tag which is dangerously close to "pro" territory.

What Nikon may find, and this is true of any market, is that just because there is massive demand for a product/service at a certain pricepoint it doesn't necessarily follow that the same demand will be there at a higher price.

Whilst this may not apply to the D4, which will be bought either by professionals or amateurs with a very high level of disposable income, Nikon are playing a dangerous game with the D800 which is aimed more at the mid-range amateur market, but now carries a price tag which is dangerously close to "pro" territory.

Got to disagree here. I see the D800 firmly in pro territory, The D7000 would be mid range amateur territory, and the successor to the D300s would be high end amateur/low end pro, should it ever appear.

*cough/splutter* - Ive just had a call from Warehouse Express that my D800 is being shipped tonight! Ordered on the 7th February. Thats my weekend sorted :)

Slaphead said:
Got to disagree here. I see the D800 firmly in pro territory, The D7000 would be mid range amateur territory, and the successor to the D300s would be high end amateur/low end pro, should it ever appear.

Perhaps I should have qualified that by adding "FX" to differentiate from the mid-range DX bodies. I stand by my point though, that D4 buyers are more likely to shrug off the increase than D800 ones and that the target market is more price-sensitive than the D4's.

so would you not have moaned about having to pay an extra £200 had you not pre ordered or shops decided not to honour the original price... i think you would

Actually on another forum I had stated that the supplier who had decided to honour his quote of £2125.00 to me after the nikon price rise would get the extra £125.00 that he would have been losing after the increase, I still rate this camera as well worth the money for what you are getting, even with the price rise it is cheap.

And if I think it is as good as respected photographers have told me it is then in all probability I will be using 2 D800's for my weddings with the D3s relegated to 3rd camera and my horse event stuff.

Perhaps I should have qualified that by adding "FX" to differentiate from the mid-range DX bodies. I stand by my point though, that D4 buyers are more likely to shrug off the increase than D800 ones and that the target market is more price-sensitive than the D4's.

I think you will find most pro wedding photographers are going to use this camera in there wedding work flow as it give them the almost MF level of images that will astound the clients, amatures I think will on the whole not be interested in the D800

Wilky said:
I think you will find most pro wedding photographers are going to use this camera in there wedding work flow as it give them the almost MF level of images that will astound the clients, amatures I think will on the whole not be interested in the D800

Would you say that the majority of D700 owners aren't amatures (sic) then? Personally I think the only reason that amateurs will be put off is the fact that the D800 has gone in a few days from being only a few hundred more than the D700 to the same sort of money that the last if the new D3s (that's D3 plural) were retailing for just a couple of years ago....

Would you say that the majority of D700 owners aren't amatures (sic) then? Personally I think the only reason that amateurs will be put off is the fact that the D800 has gone in a few days from being only a few hundred more than the D700 to the same sort of money that the last if the new D3s (that's D3 plural) were retailing for just a couple of years ago....

Who is talking about the D700?, and why carp on about historical prices of camera's.

If you look at new camera's in todays market then the D800 is still a very good buy for what you are getting and if you shop about you can get the D800 for £2325.00 which is still cheaper than the original price.
If you want one at that price then p'm me as it is a deal for another forums members and I can't advertise the forum here obviously.

Wilky

Sorry but how does the D800 give 'almost MF level of images that will astound the clients'' for a wedding photographer? Most wedding pictures are printed reasonably small in albums - you'd have to be making enormous prints to see any advantages gained by the super high resolution.

Medium format isn't just about resolution anyway, people seem to be forgetting the D800 still only has a full frame sensor. The resolution and detail captured are impressive, but let's not get carried away.

Wilky said:
Who is talking about the D700?, and why carp on about historical prices of camera's.

If you look at new camera's in todays market then the D800 is still a very good buy for what you are getting and if you shop about you can get the D800 for £2325.00 which is still cheaper than the original price.
If you want one at that price then p'm me as it is a deal for another forums members and I can't advertise the forum here obviously.

Wilky

The 800 is, to all intents and purposes, the replacement for the 700, which was bought in large numbers by amateurs are you suggesting that Nikon have now abandoned that customer segment?

I think the D800 is their to take on the Canon 5DmkIII, amatures or pros.

Some pros will make very good use of the 36m sensor,others will perfer the D4.

But their now seem a big market,for this sort of camera, both video & stills.

:)

Sorry but how does the D800 give 'almost MF level of images that will astound the clients'' for a wedding photographer? Most wedding pictures are printed reasonably small in albums - you'd have to be making enormous prints to see any advantages gained by the super high resolution.

Medium format isn't just about resolution anyway, people seem to be forgetting the D800 still only has a full frame sensor. The resolution and detail captured are impressive, but let's not get carried away.

Exactly (y) And achieving the D800's maximum resolution is difficult, only visible in very big enlargements, and does not look as 'sharp' as medium format even when you've done that. Because the sensor is smaller, and lenses don't work so well when they're asked to deliver detail at that level.

This is the point that Canon is making with the 5D3 - the benefit of anything much above 20-ish mp becomes increasingly marginal, it gobbles memory and slows down the shooting rate.

It boils down to what compromises you want to make. But I also believe that for these reasons Nikon will replace the D700 directly when they get a chance - less pixels, higher ISO, faster frame rate. They just won't make the mistake of positioning it too close to the D4.

But whichever way you look at it, the D800 is still a fantastic camera. I'm just glad I'm not Nikon owner and having to make that choice! Canon has made things easier, at least for me, by producing what is IMHO the ultimate all-rounder.

Last edited:
I have 5 gallons of petrol, two books of first class stamps and a half eaten Greggs pasty spare... anyone want to trade their D800?

Flashman said:
I have 5 gallons of petrol, two books of first class stamps and a half eaten Greggs pasty spare... anyone want to trade their D800?

It's rich people like you that are the whole problem :bat:

everything i've seen on the d800 since the reviews started coming out is really making me want one. I've only had my 700 for about 8 months though, so it'll have to wait. I can very realistically see myself getting a d800 early next year and pairing it with my d700.

I was a Canon user tor 29 years until I won a D3s in the Photography Monthly competition so sold all my Canon gear and changed camps so to speak. I could have sold the Nikon and bought a 5D mk2 but bit the bullet. Personally speaking if I had been waiting in anticipation for the Mk3 I would be seriuously disappointed with 22mp and even with the refinements is it worth £3000 which is still £400 dearer than the D800. Canon have shot themselves in the foot and I think Nikon have seriously ****ed on their bonfire with a camera that Nikon users have been waiting for for a long long time. If it delivers what it promises there will be a lot of Canon users switching. As for the price increase I think Nikon underestimated the demand and are cashing in on the very people who must have one NOW when give it 6 months the price will be under £2000. I worked in the photographic retail trade and saw a lot of people pay over the odds because they always "need" the latest thing, get it in perspective people! If the camera does indeed even approach medium format quality the difference with be obvious, I used a Mamiya RZ67 in the good old days and yes most prints are A4 or less but the difference is phenomenal.
Yes I will be buying a D800 but not yet until the price comes down and any bugs are ironed out after all they always say never but the first version of anything lets hope the quality and reliability is as good as we all hope.

4 fps full frame ... down to earth.

I was a Canon user tor 29 years until I won a D3s in the Photography Monthly competition so sold all my Canon gear and changed camps so to speak. I could have sold the Nikon and bought a 5D mk2 but bit the bullet. Personally speaking if I had been waiting in anticipation for the Mk3 I would be seriuously disappointed with 22mp and even with the refinements is it worth £3000 which is still £400 dearer than the D800. Canon have shot themselves in the foot and I think Nikon have seriously ****ed on their bonfire with a camera that Nikon users have been waiting for for a long long time. If it delivers what it promises there will be a lot of Canon users switching. As for the price increase I think Nikon underestimated the demand and are cashing in on the very people who must have one NOW when give it 6 months the price will be under £2000. I worked in the photographic retail trade and saw a lot of people pay over the odds because they always "need" the latest thing, get it in perspective people! If the camera does indeed even approach medium format quality the difference with be obvious, I used a Mamiya RZ67 in the good old days and yes most prints are A4 or less but the difference is phenomenal.
Yes I will be buying a D800 but not yet until the price comes down and any bugs are ironed out after all they always say never but the first version of anything lets hope the quality and reliability is as good as we all hope.
I agree on the 5D3 price being too high. It's about the same as the cost of a good used 1DmkIV.

On your other point about waiting six months - while it is certainly the sensible things to do in my case I have about £7K ready to buy into the Nikon system after ditching Canon but now having to pay a lot extra on a D4 or D800 AND having to wait god knows how long to get one. I have some jobs lined up that I will have to just say no to unless I sort something very soon. I am tempted to get a used D3s now and add a D800 in six moths when the price goes down rather than just getting a D4 now (well ordering it now anyway). ;)

Add to that the complication that I am not sure I really want to give £7K to a company that cheats and disrespects it's potential customers. :naughty:

Last edited:
in my case I have about £7K ready to buy into the Nikon system after ditching Canon but now having to pay a lot extra on a D4 or D800 AND having to wait god knows how long to get one. I have some jobs lined up that I will have to just say no to unless I sort something very soon.
You're a professional photographer, and sold your gear before getting the replacements, and now you might turn customers away? Have you taken a blow to the head?

I agree on the 5D3 price being too high. It's about the same as the cost of a good used 1DmkIV.

On your other point about waiting six months - while it is certainly the sensible things to do in my case I have about £7K ready to buy into the Nikon system after ditching Canon but now having to pay a lot extra on a D4 or D800 AND having to wait god knows how long to get one. I have some jobs lined up that I will have to just say no to unless I sort something very soon. I am tempted to get a used D3s now and add a D800 in six moths when the price goes down rather than just getting a D4 now (well ordering it now anyway). ;)

Add to that the complication that I am not sure I really want to give £7K to a company that cheats and disrespects it's potential customers. :naughty:
i would just get a d3s,

I will have to sell off one of my pro camcorders if I get back into photography which would not be a problem provided I had a DSLR with full HD video. Sadly the D3s doesn't which was why I was initially looking at the D800 and now looking at D3s and D800 combo.

You're a professional photographer, and sold your gear before getting the replacements, and now you might turn customers away? Have you taken a blow to the head?
I was focusing on some video projects for the last 12 months. I am only now coming back to photography. Well I actually haven't decided if it's worth it financially give the high cost of purchasing new equipment vs the lack of work around at the moment.

Would probably be easier to hire until you are ready to buy

I've thought of that option but at 4 or 5 events spread over now to June would be quite expensive given I have NO photography gear at the moment so would have to hire bodies and at least a couple of lenses each time.

I was going to make an offer on the D3s that sold in the for sale forum. The other guy beat me to it by literally 2 minutes. :bonk:

Last edited:
Minolta D800? has someone been having a little fun with the thread title? or has the thread been hacked :)

there's a rather feeble april fool's joke on the forum today - all words with "n ikon" has become "minolta" and "c anon" is "pentax"

Exactly (y) And achieving the D800's maximum resolution is difficult, only visible in very big enlargements, and does not look as 'sharp' as medium format even when you've done that. Because the sensor is smaller, and lenses don't work so well when they're asked to deliver detail at that level.

This is the point that Pentax is making with the 5D3 - the benefit of anything much above 20-ish mp becomes increasingly marginal, it gobbles memory and slows down the shooting rate.

It boils down to what compromises you want to make. But I also believe that for these reasons Minolta will replace the D700 directly when they get a chance - less pixels, higher ISO, faster frame rate. They just won't make the mistake of positioning it too close to the D4.

But whichever way you look at it, the D800 is still a fantastic camera. I'm just glad I'm not Minolta owner and having to make that choice! Pentax has made things easier, at least for me, by producing what is IMHO the ultimate all-rounder.

But are you not missing a trick here though... There are several things that really interest me about this camera, increase in dynamic range, the ability to crop and retain detail and it's iso performance..... All very beneficial to me as a wildlife photographer. I need to a upgrade my old d300s which is dire when it comes to iso performance so I only ever use it when the light is really good and I'm shooting at distance and need to extra pixel density...... I think the d800 could be a real tool in the right hands and right circumstances.

I was focusing on some video projects for the last 12 months. I am only now coming back to photography. Well I actually haven't decided if it's worth it financially give the high cost of purchasing new equipment vs the lack of work around at the moment.
Well if there's a lack of work, whatever you do, don't turn any down. Get a second hand D700 to tide you over - buy now and sell as soon as you get what you're after, costing you maybe £100 - easily paid for by work.

If you've decided to switch from Canon, start buying (get those lenses, they'll last years), at least enough to cover any jobs. Do not turn down work unless you're too busy.

Last edited:
But are you not missing a trick here though... There are several things that really interest me about this camera, increase in dynamic range, the ability to crop and retain detail and it's iso performance..... All very beneficial to me as a wildlife photographer. I need to a upgrade my old d300s which is dire when it comes to iso performance so I only ever use it when the light is really good and I'm shooting at distance and need to extra pixel density...... I think the d800 could be a real tool in the right hands and right circumstances.

Yes, and I've made that point about the D800 in several other posts. If you want to crop, it is effectively two cameras in one - a bit like a D7000 plus full frame.

I was referring to why the D800 will not match medium format, despite its hi res sensor, because it's physically smaller.

Back