Nikon D800......

DigitalRev has 5 in stock according to their site, but are charging £300 above RRP for them @ £2899.99 which is £300 more than what they are selling the 5D3 for funnily enough. Fair enough it's supply and demand but for a big e-tailer like DR to charge above RRP to cash in on the D800 demand to me is pretty underhanded.

DigitalRev has 5 in stock according to their site, but are charging £300 above RRP for them @ £2899.99 which is £300 more than what they are selling the 5D3 for funnily enough. Fair enough it's supply and demand but for a big e-tailer like DR to charge above RRP to cash in on the D800 demand to me is pretty underhanded.

Thanks for this but after the uprated cost I would never buy from them - ever. It's a bit like the thieving garages who put prices up tho slash week for no reason other than greed.

Didn't know they dabbled ... something new every day!

Ah ... 1st April then

well enough moaning about the price, now to some moaning about actually using it :) Just got back from a studio shoot today and tbh the quick look ive had at the images look great. I'll post a couple up after ive had my dinner.

but two things have jumped out at me.

1. there is most defenitly a pronounced green tint on the display. This is actually quite annoying when youre previewing the shots with the models and theyre asking why they look green! aparently you can tweak the display in menu but it doesnt save this setting when you turn off and on? I'll have to have a read up.

2. Image count seems bugged. My card formatted shows 200 images free. This is a sandisk extreme 16gig card 60mb/s So a good named card. Shooting in raw all day, I left the shoot with 44 showing left on the card. Got home to find 300 images on it. So, frankly, thats more of a worry than the green thing as if youre shooting and it gets to a point where it cant save anymore, will it tell you. Maybe just a buggy card though but surely the firmware must be playing a part here?

Anyway, all in all, fantastic. Love it to bits. The resolution on this thing is incredible when you pixel peep.

Flashy said:
Jonney.

Lets hope your looks exceed your intelligence:LOL:

Are you talking about yourself because you just ask us where you can buy a d800. Like asking someone here were can you buy a whole chicken you can cook

2. Image count seems bugged. My card formatted shows 200 images free. This is a sandisk extreme 16gig card 60mb/s So a good named card. Shooting in raw all day, I left the shoot with 44 showing left on the card. Got home to find 300 images on it. So, frankly, thats more of a worry than the green thing as if youre shooting and it gets to a point where it cant save anymore, will it tell you.
Is it possible that when shooting detailed landscapes, you'd get about 200 pictures, but with studio shots, where a lot of the background is the same, you get more like 400? Assuming so, I'm not sure why that worries you. It said you had 44 pictures left, but it might have been more like 85 in a studio.

well the worry is that if its count is wrong then it might well carry on taking shots when the card really is full and not letting you know that nothing is being saved. I dunno, maybe not :)

Ive never heard of a case where you get different images saved based on detail of subject, raw is raw, uncompressed dots.

This is the same on my D700. It's based on averages. The camera won't keep taking shots if the card is full, but the number of shots will vary depending on subject type. You'll probably find something in the manual about it.

1. there is most defenitly a pronounced green tint on the display. This is actually quite annoying when youre previewing the shots with the models and theyre asking why they look green! aparently you can tweak the display in menu but it doesnt save this setting when you turn off and on? I'll have to have a read up.
I'm sure you have seen this but just in case it's of any help I read this the other day on the green tint issue. http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/27/nikon-d800-issues.aspx/

Ive never heard of a case where you get different images saved based on detail of subject, raw is raw, uncompressed dots.
Do you not have it set to lossless compression? I always have more pics on a card than my camera says I might get. What cameras have you used before, and do you not shoot lossless?

Yeah its lossless. My bad i guess, just wasnt expecting a non accurate number :) As far as the whole green thing goes, everything actually looks ok on the shots i did a custom white balance for, but there was a small batch i tried without the studio flash running and just the modelling light and im not sure i redid the white balance. Its those that look odd.

Anyway, I put a few in the people and portraits section. I havnt uploaded the full on original size versions as theyre huge!

Yes, and I've made that point about the D800 in several other posts. If you want to crop, it is effectively two cameras in one - a bit like a D7000 plus full frame.

I was referring to why the D800 will not match medium format, despite its hi res sensor, because it's physically smaller.

My apologies, I'm away at the moment and using a dongle to surf the web, I'm sure you understand it would have taken me a week to read the thread fully :) my heart says d800 but for the occasional times I want the benefit of more density my head says D7000 :) cheers

Last edited:
My apologies, I'm away at the moment and using a dongle to surf the web
Apology accepted.

my heart says d800 but for the occasional times I want the benefit of more density my head says D7000 :) cheers
Well the D800 isn't more density than the D7000 (so no more reach) - do you just mean more quality, or better low light performance?. The questions are:
1) How rich are you
2) Which images you'll take will be improved by having a D800, and how significant will the improvement be

All cameras these days are brilliant, don't upgrade for the sake of it. But if for example you spent a lot of money travelling to get glorious landscape shots, that you'd blow up big, it's probably worth upgrading.

Apology accepted.

Well the D800 isn't more density than the D7000 (so no more reach) - do you just mean more quality, or better low light performance?. The questions are:
1) How rich are you
2) Which images you'll take will be improved by having a D800, and how significant will the improvement be

All cameras these days are brilliant, don't upgrade for the sake of it. But if for example you spent a lot of money travelling to get glorious landscape shots, that you'd blow up big, it's probably worth upgrading.

Hence my comments, the reality is I occasionally use the d300s if I'm shooting at distance and want more pixel density rather than cropping full frame, I need better iso performance than the the d300s gives me and you are right for me it has nothing to do with printing large... More about retaining detail over distance. The sensible thing is the d7000, I'm in no rush so may wait and see what the D400 looks like :) but it is def time to retire my 300s. Cheers for the comments

Hence my comments, the reality is I occasionally use the d300s if I'm shooting at distance and want more pixel density rather than cropping full frame, I need better iso performance than the the d300s gives me and you are right for me it has nothing to do with printing large... More about retaining detail over distance. The sensible thing is the d7000, I'm in no rush so may wait and see what the D400 looks like :) but it is def time to retire my 300s. Cheers for the comments

I think there is some kind of crop format setting on the D800 that converts to 15 megapixel 1.5 crop sensor (DX). Don't know the details but im pretty sure that is one of the settings on the camera

Yeah there are 4 modes in all...

FX (36x24) 1x
DX (24x16) 1.5x
1.2x (30x20)
5:4 (30x24)

I think there is some kind of crop format setting on the D800 that converts to 15 megapixel 1.5 crop sensor (DX). Don't know the details but im pretty sure that is one of the settings on the camera
But only if you're shooting in jpeg, not raw?

But only if you're shooting in jpeg, not raw?

Raw too, as essexash describes. Lots of options on formats and file sizes, and outputs

Raw too, as essexash describes. Lots of options on formats and file sizes, and outputs
Thanks. So you can opt for smaller file size raw images? That would be useful as I don't know if I'd want to work with huge raw files for every single image, but the option to do so when required would be good.

I should go away and read up on reviews etc and check all these details out but I'm scared that will just make me want to buy one...

I should go away and read up on reviews etc and check all these details out but I'm scared that will just make me want to buy one...
There doesn't seem to be any stock available to buy so you should be ok. :D

This is a full-sized JPEG (my website will only handle JPEGS) taken on my D800 on Sunday

You need to click the image then make a brew while it loads :)

Shot at f/16 for the depth of field so not as sharp as it could be. Using a Nikon 20mm prime

Anyone got a D800E and a link to some images? ordered D800 and paid for it in full, but when it's in (April 10/16th) I can have a D800E if I
like.

Dringo said:
This is a full-sized JPEG (my website will only handle JPEGS) taken on my D800 on Sunday

http://www.alunallcock.com/Other/Spring/22189671_gNjbwG#!i=1774653804&k=bDQ6XK8&lb=1&s=A.

You need to click the image then make a brew while it loads :)

Shot at f/16 for the depth of field so not as sharp as it could be. Using a Nikon 20mm prime

You sure that's full size? Loaded instantly for me and looks awful on my iPad(3) screen- not the pic itself, just very pixellated...

You sure that's full size? Loaded instantly for me and looks awful on my iPad(3) screen- not the pic itself, just very pixellated...

Not sure if its the iPad that just gives a preview before its fully loaded the file?

If you click on the actual picture it will take you through to my website. Have a look at the bar in the top leftish and you'll see the various sizes; click on "O" for Original and the wait. Failing that, try it on a PC/Mac

Not sure if its the iPad that just gives a preview before its fully loaded the file?

If you click on the actual picture it will take you through to my website. Have a look at the bar in the top leftish and you'll see the various sizes; click on "O" for Original and the wait. Failing that, try it on a PC/Mac

Works on a Mac, and these images on your web site are excellent, cracking work Dringo ;)

Last edited:
Lovely photo, especially when zoomed out a bit! But at full size the detail does seem to decline and isn't so clear. Would this be down to image compression or slight camera movement or is this the maximum clarity you can get at 100% with such high megapixels?

Lovely photo, especially when zoomed out a bit! But at full size the detail does seem to decline and isn't so clear. Would this be down to image compression or slight camera movement or is this the maximum clarity you can get at 100% with such high megapixels?

Definitely some JPEG compression here at work - the original RAW/TIFF is much crisper

Dringo said:

It must be an iPad thing. No way a file that size would load in an instant like it does so guess it must be a preview thing. Will have a look on my comp

Back