Nikon D800......

Well popped in and despite the miserable Nikon Rep, (must hate his job/customers or be suffering from raging toothache!), had a handle of the D800 and I must say that it is not as small/light as I had anticipated - feels better in the hand than I thought it might. Weird bright pink light in the viewfinder every time it auto-focuses though ... what's that all about?
As there is an imposed shortage, (sales boosting exercise?), won't be getting one any time soon though.

want to order one now...not sure which retailer would get one sooner then the others...

want to order one now...not sure which retailer would get one sooner then the others...

I got mine a few weeks ago from Jessops just 9 days after ordering.

Obviously i have no idea what will happen now but hope this information helps...

Weird bright pink light in the viewfinder every time it auto-focuses though ... what's that all about?

I have no idea, I can't say I have noticed anything like that on mine... I will have another look tonight.

Just been told by one supplier that they are taking pre-orders and honouring the Nikon pre-price rise!
They say I would be 16th in line and get it in 5-6 weeks :shrug:

Had a conversation with Grays of Westminster today, they have orders for 300+ D800's and had a delivery of 60 which were placed a while ago ... their last allocation from Nikon was 6!

Had a conversation with Grays of Westminster today, they have orders for 300+ D800's and had a delivery of 60 which were placed a while ago ... their last allocation from Nikon was 6!
So there's hope that they've moved production from someone's bedroom into an actual factory.

Just been told by one supplier that they are taking pre-orders and honouring the Nikon pre-price rise!
They say I would be 16th in line and get it in 5-6 weeks :shrug:

and who is the supplier ?????

No ... the first delivery was 60 ("placed a while ago") and the last delivery ("their last allocation") was 6!

But their previous delivery was 6, and their latest delivery was 60, right? Sounds like a step in the right direction.

Is this camera in such high demand that Nikon cannot meet customer needs or are they playing the "supply and demand" card to keep prices elevated by restricting supply ?

Is this camera in such high demand that Nikon cannot meet customer needs or are they playing the "supply and demand" card to keep prices elevated by restricting supply ?
I assume they released it before they could have enough ready to fulfil initial demand. I don't think the price would need to drop if the supply was a fair amount more, the D800 is already good value - cheaper than the canon equivalent, and making the D3x look crazy.

it happened...ordered mine with 2 extra years of warranty...I think 149 for extra 2 years is not much when you spend 2600 on body...

Im gonna wait two years they will be plentyful by then and about £1600.:LOL:

Hasnt worked for the D700 there are still jokeshop characters around asking £1300+ for them when you can get a new one from Jessops for £1600 :shrug:

What I was trying to say tongue in cheek was they will be in the shops in a year or so and they wont be £2400 , probably discounted for under £2000 eventually .

What I was trying to say tongue in cheek was they will be in the shops in a year or so and they wont be £2400 , probably discounted for under £2000 eventually .

I think that ridiculously over-optimistic ..............

"in the shops in a year or so" :LOL:

Hasnt worked for the D700 there are still jokeshop characters around asking £1300+ for them when you can get a new one from Jessops for £1600 :shrug:

jokeshop ??? laughing at fellow photographers are we...

Or £1499:97 at PC World!

try and find one....one of occasions where they lower prices and still have no stock... great price though!

I think that ridiculously over-optimistic ..............

"in the shops in a year or so" :LOL:

What makes you think they wont be in the shops in 12 to 18 months ?

I tend to buy two or three years behind anyway, I got two D3 bodies For £2450ea a while ago instead of its initial £3250. In a couple of years a D800 just might be £2000 or less ?
Im always behind the new stuff but eventually Ill get up to date cheaper than they are when first released, you just have to accept the delay .............patience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep !

There are people all over e-bay and some forums asking absolute top dollar for 2 and 3 year old cameras and expecting to get back almost what they paid for it and you can buy them new for only a couple of hundred pounds more.

Even the dealers arent asking what some people are asking for kit and the dealers are putting warranties with the used items.

bastic said:

try and find one....one of occasions where they lower prices and still have no stock... great price though!

There's several in west London and quick check online shows its not at every store but at a good number across London at least

Yep !

There are people all over e-bay and some forums asking absolute top dollar for 2 and 3 year old cameras and expecting to get back almost what they paid for it and you can buy them new for only a couple of hundred pounds more.

Even the dealers arent asking what some people are asking for kit and the dealers are putting warranties with the used items.

And?

If the marketplace allows for it why NOT get your money back on something ?

NeilMc said:
Yep !

There's your answer then, if you want one vote with your wallet and buy new ;)

I'll bet there was probably only a handful available at that price, everywhere else is still at £1600+.......

There's your answer then, if you want one vote with your wallet and buy new ;)

To be honest I've given up at trying to get a used D700 at a sensible price and am just going to suffer it and get a D800 when they become more readily available.

I can get one with a warranty and the convenience of putting down the cash I have for a D700 and stick the rest on intrest free credit.

To be honest I've given up at trying to get a used D700 at a sensible price and am just going to suffer it and get a D800 when they become more readily available.

I can get one with a warranty and the convenience of putting down the cash I have for a D700 and stick the rest on intrest free credit.

What would you say is a sensible price for a D700?

Nikon D800
Unbelievable camera have it few weeks the resolution is amazing it just won the tipa award and beat the canon mk3 for camera of the year

What would you say is a sensible price for a D700?

I would say that depends on how it has been used , a pro giving it a good hammering every day and 200,000 shutter actuation's, very little. Id maybe take a risk at £200.
An amateur who looks after gear and has a D700 in almost mint condition with maybe 12,000 shutter actuation's then thats a different ball park .....maybe £1200 ??? What do you think is a fair price for a Mint D700.
I haven't looked to see what dealers are selling used ones for yet .

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that depends on how it has been used , a pro giving it a good hammering every day and 200,000 shutter actuation's, very little. Id maybe take a risk at £200.
An amateur who looks after gear and has a D700 in almost mint condition with maybe 12,000 shutter actuation's then thats a different ball park .....maybe £1200 ??? What do you think is a fair price for a Mint D700.

I was just curious as I paid £1175 for mine with around 26k on the shutter I think. I was happy to pay that for it so like I said, I was curious at what others thought they were worth :)

I was just curious as I paid £1175 for mine with around 26k on the shutter I think. I was happy to pay that for it so like I said, I was curious at what others thought they were worth :)

Well I think that is a fair enough price , I hadn't looked to see what dealers are selling them for before posting my previous reply so my £1200 was purely a gut feeling.

we should go back to topic which is D800...

am still waiting for mine...extra warranty was delivered...with next day courier...in 2 envelopes...a piece of paper...

YES back on topic , the D800 . I haven't read all of the posts about this lack of D800 bodies but I find it amazing that retailers have taken payment in March for the D800 and now into Late May 2012 and still people are waiting.
What is the official line for the delay ?

YES back on topic , the D800 . I haven't read all of the posts about this lack of D800 bodies but I find it amazing that retailers have taken payment in March for the D800 and now into Late May 2012 and still people are waiting.
What is the official line for the delay ?

They shouldn’t have taken any money from account until they haven’t delivered/dispatched...if they have in your case, request money back.

They can 'block' amount on credit card, but can't charge you...

just rang jessops...
was told thay I may get one at the end of June...:puke:
I think it's time to pre order in couple places...

If anyone knows where I can get d800 let me know :)
I think I rang all retailers I could think off today...

if you want d800, quickly call Jacobs Digital and you may be lucky!!!

I have just came off the phone with them:)
They are having some delivered today :)

HURRY UP!!!!!
David - nice chap I spoke to, said that it is possible to get one if you call in time!!!!

HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back